I am thrilled we won, But.....

I have no problem with it whatsoever. The key thing missing in the current 3-4 is a space eating NT. Let the rest of the defense learn the scheme to make for a much easier transition next year. Hopefully a FA NT will be brought in or a big DT in the draft.

Keep in mind this is also a defense that will probably get better as the season goes on and players are more accustomed to playing in it.

I see this the same way Saban treated the Dolphins last season. Run whatever you want to run and find out who fits. Whoever doesn't fit (D-Rob?) is gone after this season.

JMO

Don't you think that our D would be so much better playing the 4-3? Why is Mangini fighting the switch? Next year, he can get players who are a better fit for him and the 3-4. Thoughts?????

We're experiencing some serious growing pains which are inevitable. We'll be all the more effective and consistent next year if we develop the system this year. Patience is the key.

Edit: what he said ^

I'm glad we won, but I'm highly disappointed no-one pulled J.P. Losman's most quotable quote out of the woodwork - just for fun.

"Hopefully he'll remember me when I see him. It was a one-time thing through a mutual friend, and when I got the opportunity I said, 'Yeah, I'll go play golf with Brett Favre.' He invited me into the house for a little bit. There he was with his tight little shorts, no shirt, with his little red hat. He was doing some farming or something because he was covered in dirt. It was awesome." - J.P. Losman talking about his visit with Brett Favre.

:P

I'm glad we won, but I'm highly disappointed no-one pulled J.P. Losman's most quotable quote out of the woodwork - just for fun.

"Hopefully he'll remember me when I see him. It was a one-time thing through a mutual friend, and when I got the opportunity I said, 'Yeah, I'll go play golf with Brett Favre.' He invited me into the house for a little bit. There he was with his tight little shorts, no shirt, with his little red hat. He was doing some farming or something because he was covered in dirt. It was awesome." - J.P. Losman talking about his visit with Brett Favre.

:P

Brady better be careful... Losman will be all over him like a cheap suit in the rain!

Don't you think that our D would be so much better playing the 4-3? Why is Mangini fighting the switch? Next year, he can get players who are a better fit for him and the 3-4. Thoughts?????

saying the jets are better suited to a 4-3 assumes that you know more about football, defense, and the long term plan than mangini. let the man run the show how he sees fit and then evaluate the results after a few years.

the only thing i would like the jets to do better on defense is stop the run and rush the passer. the jets played 4-3 the last few years and have not been able to stop the run so i really don't think it is an alignment issue.

saying the jets are better suited to a 4-3 assumes that you know more about football, defense, and the long term plan than mangini. let the man run the show how he sees fit and then evaluate the results after a few years.

the only thing i would like the jets to do better on defense is stop the run and rush the passer. the jets played 4-3 the last few years and have not been able to stop the run so i really don't think it is an alignment issue.

No sense posting on a message board if you are going blindly accept whatever the coach does. Even if it's a guy you believe in 100%. I'm sure we all feel smarter than him as far as Blaylock goes. Jets were 5th in the league against the run in '04. That's when people actually believed DRob might have been worth it. Last year was tough to judge because they sucked so bad on O they were behind all the time and had the most rushing atttempts against, but obviously they weren't good.

With each game, I am getting more used to seeing our D play in this scheme, so I am sure the players are getting more used to it, too.

Like AF said, we need a good NT, esp. since two guys already went down.

There were times we rushed three that i would have liked to have seen a blitz, but there were plays we rushed five and didnt sniff Losman.

You dont usually get the big pass rush in a 3-4 without sending people, so we arent going to lead the league in sacks or be confusing this D with the NY Sack Exchange.

It will be interesting to see the Sutton/Mangini gameplan against the mannings.

____

^

2000th post

90917.jpg

With each game, I am getting more used to seeing our D play in this scheme, so I am sure the players are getting more used to it, too.

Like AF said, we need a good NT, esp. since two guys already went down.

There were times we rushed three that i would have liked to have seen a blitz, but there were plays we rushed five and didnt sniff Losman.

You dont usually get the big pass rush in a 3-4 without sending people, so we arent going to lead the league in sacks or be confusing this D with the NY Sack Exchange.

It will be interesting to see the Sutton/Mangini gameplan against the mannings.

____

^

2000th post

90917.jpg

and thank you for posting that nice picture on your 200th JC

Oh yeah, we did so well with the 4-3 last year without Abraham. The only time we were dominant on defense last year was when Sir Abraham deigned to play and have a big game, usually against sucky teams. Face it, we're not a good 4-3 defense either. We are not suited for it. Did you not watch last year?

I have no problem with it whatsoever. The key thing missing in the current 3-4 is a space eating NT. Let the rest of the defense learn the scheme to make for a much easier transition next year. Hopefully a FA NT will be brought in or a big DT in the draft.

Keep in mind this is also a defense that will probably get better as the season goes on and players are more accustomed to playing in it.

I see this the same way Saban treated the Dolphins last season. Run whatever you want to run and find out who fits. Whoever doesn't fit (D-Rob?) is gone after this season.

JMO

That was spot on. Took the words right from my mouth.

Is the 4-3 better for us right now? Yes, it probably is. But Mangini didnt sign a 1 yr contract as our HC. He has to install his defense and get as much out of this 3-4 this year to gauge which players will fit in the system and which players will not. There is a learning curve even for the players that will end up being suitable to this defense, and the sooner they learn the better. And they can only learn this defense by playing in it.

So forget about the 4-3 defense.

And dont expect Drob or Hobson to be starting next year, or even be on the team.

Archived