Starting a team TODAY (not 5 years ago): Who do you take? Reyes or Jeter?

SouthernJet

Although I am rooting for the Mets....I wouldn't mind seeing your spin if they should lose

here it is now,, they lost,,

They are not a dominant team yet that is unstoppable,,

give omar another year or two,, i am not delusional like some who think this team will steamroll everyone,,

LaRussa scares me,, can outmanage many times if he doesnt overthink himself..

I am quite happy so far with 100 to 98 and still counting ;)

Are you kidding me ? JETER.

Fair,, but at 32 he will be 37 in 5 years and some might want to opt for the longer solution,, but I can see picking Jeter and hoping he is better as a 37 to 40 years old than Reyes will be 5 to 7 years from now ..

I dont see it,, but I can understand you taking the old guy

Fair,, but at 32 he will be 37 in 5 years and some might want to opt for the longer solution,, but I can see picking Jeter and hoping he is better as a 37 to 40 years old than Reyes will be 5 to 7 years from now ..

I dont see it,, but I can understand you taking the old guy

Jeter is in his prime, and it's not like he is on the decline. I can see him playing til 40 easily due to his conditioning. I mean, if the Mets have a place for Julio Franco.........:)

Jeter is in his prime, and it's not like he is on the decline. I can see him playing til 40 easily due to his conditioning. I mean, if the Mets have a place for Julio Franco.........:)

maybe,, i take reyes NOW for future,,

Just think reyes will be more effective in the next 7 yeras,,

but i could be wrong , thats why they have horse races

yup, always a point of view,, I think George's philosophy also

Not really. The dynasty was built based on the products of the farm system. They are still the core of the team. Plus you see players like Melky, Cano and Wang, who will be around for a while.

Not really. The dynasty was built based on the products of the farm system. They are still the core of the team. Plus you see players like Melky, Cano and Wang, who will be around for a while.

People still remember this "dynasty"? Heck, that was pre-pubescent years for guys like Barton and Blackout.

Everyone look, grandpa has come in from the porch and is going regale us with stories of Yankee "dynasties" and how the old days were.

Please, let him have a seat and bring him his dribble cup.

go easy on him SD,,

Its been a tough week on Arod's press agent ;)

I'll take the proven player. You never know how these young guys will evolve.

First Post.

I might be insane and a Mets fan on cloud 11, but I'd take Reyes for his age and I am not sure that Jeter is better than Reyes now. Jeter has always been known as an "intangibles" type of player but Reyes has that type of magic of presence too from a small sample. The only thing Jeter does better than Reyes right now is hit for a higher average. The numbers Reyes put up, esp. ( 81 RBIs) from the leadoff spot hitting in front of the pitcher is much more impressive than the number Jeter put up IMO.

First Post.

I might be insane and a Mets fan on cloud 11, but I'd take Reyes for his age and I am not sure that Jeter is better than Reyes now. Jeter has always been known as an "intangibles" type of player but Reyes has that type of magic of presence too from a small sample. The only thing Jeter does better than Reyes right now is hit for a higher average. The numbers Reyes put up, esp. ( 81 RBIs) from the leadoff spot hitting in front of the pitcher is much more impressive than the number Jeter put up IMO.

welcome aboard,, and warning,, INCOMING,,,, this Jet-board has many Yankee fans

Great ! There's nothing to argue. We're not giving up Jeter, and you can keep your " Reyes ". Might as well book him a spot in the Hall of Fame while you're at it, since you are so sure he will be that good.

this wasnt a Ancient History 101 question :confused:

Great ! There's nothing to argue. We're not giving up Jeter, and you can keep your " Reyes ". Might as well book him a spot in the Hall of Fame while you're at it, since you are so sure he will be that good.

Obviously Jeter has accomplished a lot more than Reyes, but from the performances that we've seen, I just think its not a cut and dry situation anymore and its a least debatable as to who you would take for the next 5 years. I think its fun to talk about anyway, 2 all star shortstops playing in the same city.

PS. I am only putting Reyes in the same Hall as Melky Cabrera ;).

Obviously Jeter has accomplished a lot more than Reyes, but from the performances that we've seen, I just think its not a cut and dry situation anymore and its a least debatable as to who you would take for the next 5 years. I think its fun to talk about anyway, 2 all star shortstops playing in the same city.

PS. I am only putting Reyes in the same Hall as Melky Cabrera ;).

I know you haven't been around, but I've been fighting Yankee fans who wanted to play Melky over Matsui. I'm not sending Melky or even Cano anywhere. They need to prove they can put the numbers up year after year. Lots of rookies can come in and have a great year. Did you forget Gregg Jefferies ? The Mets made him out to be the second coming of Ty Cobb. He became a huge underacheiver. Let the rooks play and prove themselves before you start mentioning them in the same breath as guys that are going to Cooperstown.

I know you haven't been around, but I've been fighting Yankee fans who wanted to play Melky over Matsui. I'm not sending Melky or even Cano anywhere. They need to prove they can put the numbers up year after year. Lots of rookies can come in and have a great year. Did you forget Gregg Jefferies ? The Mets made him out to be the second coming of Ty Cobb. He became a huge underacheiver. Let the rooks play and prove themselves before you start mentioning them in the same breath as guys that are going to Cooperstown.

fair assessment but its a fair question when you are asking whether you can project a kid out to better than a star at 40 years of age,,

will jeter put up better #s and better defense when he is 38, 39, 40 than what people may project for reyes when he is 29, 30 and 31? Who knows, but fun to debate..

Hmmm...good question.

Here is my answer: DEPENDS!

Are we talking about selling GQ magazines, going to high priced t*ttie bars, and hosting SNL? Then Captain Overrated is our guy.

or are we talking about building a franchise around a marquee 4-tool player to help us win baseball games for years to come? Then we gotta go with Jose Reyes.

Of course you would. Anything the Red Soc do gets your nod of approval.

Ill ask you this, would you trade Reyes for Beckett?

Before seeing him in the majors as was the case with Hanley and heading into the season as a veteran laden team with WS aspirations as the SOX were.... Yes.

A year from now if Sanchez equals Beckett then obviously it's a bad deal in hindsight.

You just watched a play-off series dominated by pitching and should know that a good young pitcher wins out in this debate every time. They are too hard to find.

If I have to choose between both of them at their current ages: Reyes

If I can choose between either as a rookie/early 20s: Jeter

You build a team around youth. As far as it goes though, right now Jeter is a better player. Reyes is a great SS to build around though, and maybe down the line he ends up as good or better than Jeter -- I don't know how good he'll get.

I'd also say it depends.

Depends on who else i have on the team- if i dont have any veteran leadership, i'd take Jeter. If I needed more speed and yute, then Reyes.

Leadership? Like what? Like the kind of leadership where your "captain" does whatever possible, out of spite no less, to NOT stick up for his teammates that get booed unmercifully to the point where they are in therapy and the whole team suffers? That kind of leadership.

DJ is a glorfied 2-out singles hitter.

Leadership? Like what? Like the kind of leadership where your "captain" does whatever possible, out of spite no less, to NOT stick up for his teammates that get booed unmercifully to the point where they are in therapy and the whole team suffers? That kind of leadership.

DJ is a glorfied 2-out singles hitter.

Nope, I want leadership by example. I'm no Yankee lover (not a hater either) but he's been pretty effin clutch over the years. I'll take that.

Archived