Parcells to start Romo this week at QB

faba

Parcells picks Romo to start at QB for Cowboys

Associated Press

IRVING, Texas -- Tony Romo is now the first-string quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, and will make his first career start Sunday night at Carolina.

Coach Bill Parcells said Wednesday that Romo, who replaced 14-year veteran Drew Bledsoe in the second half of Monday night's 36-22 loss to the New York Giants, will start.

"Any time you do something like this, it's not without a lot of consideration," Parcells said. "I've been thinking about it for some time. ... Hopefully, maybe as the team is comprised right now, he might be able to do a couple of things that assist us."

Neither Bledsoe nor Romo appeared in the Cowboys locker room Wednesday. The team said Bledsoe would talk later in the day.

Romo, a fourth-year pro who had never thrown a pass in a game until this season, will be the ninth different starting quarterback for the Cowboys since Hall of Famer Troy Aikman retired after the 2001 season.

Bledsoe joined Parcells in Dallas before the 2005 season, reuniting with the coach who made him the No. 1 pick in 1993 for the New England Patriots.

Outside the Lines

His last pass Monday night was an interception at the goal line just before halftime when the Cowboys had a chance to take the lead. Bledsoe had already been sacked four times, once for a safety.

Parcells rarely changes quarterbacks midseason, often showing loyalty to veterans. Two years ago, Parcells stuck with 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde during a 6-10 season. Like Bledsoe, Testaverde had also played with Parcells earlier in his career.

But Bledsoe apparently made too many costly mistakes for Parcells. His last interception came in a game that could have given the Cowboys first place in the NFC East.

In Dallas' three victories, Bledsoe had six touchdown passes and one interception. But those have all been against teams with losing records. Against playoff contenders Jacksonville, Philadelphia and the Giants, he has one TD and seven INTs.

Parcells told Bledsoe about his demotion Wednesday morning.

"He was emotionally under control. I'm sure he wasn't happy to hear the news," Parcells said. "I just told him we're going to make this change right now, and that he needed to stay around ready. He assurred me he would do that."

Romo was intercepted on his first pass, on a ball tipped by Michael Strahan and caught by Antonio Pierce. He threw two more interceptions, one returned 96 yards for a touchdown.

"He's got to be more careful with the ball than he was the other night," Parcells said.

But Romo also showed he could be effective. He scrambled and completed 14 of 25 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns, and flashed more footwork running for a 2-point conversion.

Terry Glenn, the Cowboys' leading receiver with 29 catches, said the team has confidence in Romo and likes his mobility. But it's still a difficult move personally for Glenn, who spent the first six seasons of his career in New England with Bledsoe and has become a favorite target.

"Well, you know Bledsoe is my guy. I wish things weren't going the way they are, but obviously the coaching staff sees something," Glenn said. "I'm just out here playing. I want to win. Whoever's out there, let's make plays and let's try to win."

Before Monday night, Romo's only two passes were a pair of completions with a touchdown to Terrell Owens. That came in the closing minutes of a 34-6 victory over the Houston Texans

ya kind of had to think so after yanking a 14 yr veteren halfway thru a very important conference game on national tv. Now we get to the part where the cowboys implode. I think the real question is would bledsoe even get up off the bench for parcells if romo gets injured

ya kind of had to think so after yanking a 14 yr veteren halfway thru a very important conference game on national tv. Now we get to the part where the cowboys implode. I think the real question is would bledsoe even get up off the bench for parcells if romo gets injured

I also thought that was pretty bush league by the Tuna.

Loved seeing Romo's first pass picked off.

I also thought that was pretty bush league by the Tuna.

Loved seeing Romo's first pass picked off.

I was shocked to see that.......classless & 0 respect for his starting q'back was my 1st thought but my gut feeling is jerry jones had a lot to do with this move.

like bledsoe or not ( & I do ) i liked the interception too.

bledsoe is not a bigtime qb..maybe romo provides a spark.

bad move imo. they were still in the game and only down 5 pts after getting their asses handed to them in the 1st quarter. bledsoe showed some grit & desire by running the ball in for the td.

bad move........& I love it :)

Tony Romo is ****ing horrible and is not the future of the Dallas Cowboys franchise. This is the same piece of **** who could barely hang onto the job behind Drew Henson 2 years ago. Give me a ****ing break. Have fun with that Dallas, have fun with that.

Bollinger Deluxe is now starting for the Cowboys, unbelievable.

I blame Jerry Jones and their idiotic fan base for making this happen, just stupid to think they can win with Romo.

Worth a shot. They're going nowhere with Bledsoe. I've seen trees with better mobility.

On that note, raise your hand if you thought it was stupid for the Rams to think they could win with Kurt Warner. Yeah, I know he had Pace at LT and Marshall Faulk. But that was the feel-good story of the league...until his wife started thinking people wanted to see/hear her.

Worth a shot. They're going nowhere with Bledsoe. I've seen trees with better mobility.

On that note, raise your hand if you thought it was stupid for the Rams to think they could win with Kurt Warner. Yeah, I know he had Pace at LT and Marshall Faulk. But that was the feel-good story of the league...until his wife started thinking people wanted to see/hear her.

oh she was annoying

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6095292

Parcells stuck between rock and hard place

Ian O'Connor / Special to FOXSports.com

Posted: 2 hours ago

Bill Parcells has been around long enough to know the score.

He understands that the worst kind of quarterback controversy does not involve a choice between two first-string passers, but a choice between two second-rate arms.

Tony Romo? Drew Bledsoe?

What difference does it make?

Yes, Romo is a scrambler, an athlete, an Olympic sprinter when measured against Bledsoe's mummified remains. But if Romo looked like the quarterback to lead Dallas out of its 3-3 mess and into an improbable Super Bowl run during the second half of Monday night's loss to the Giants, then Terrell Owens is your Sportsman of the Year.

Parcells did this to himself, of course. By not having a viable quarterback on his roster, he has all but guaranteed that his fourth season with the Cowboys will be his third consecutive season without a playoff berth.

A Jurassic, stationary target like Bledsoe never made any sense to begin with, not in a league where pass rushers get faster and more athletic by the possession. Bledsoe once took the Patriots to a Super Bowl, but that was 10 years and a zillion blindside hits ago.

And how good can Romo be, anyway, when he's needed a fourth season to get on the field? Parcells has gone through the likes of Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson and Bledsoe to get to Romo. Parcells went through everyone but Clint Longley.

So now the coach is stuck between a crock and a hard place. Parcells came to Dallas for one last shot at another Super Bowl ring to go with the two he won with the Giants, that third ring he failed to win with the Patriots and the Jets.

Parcells wanted another title badly enough to agree to work for Jerry Jones, who stood for everything the coach thought an owner shouldn't be. Parcells loved Wellington Mara, a football lifer who preferred to remain in the shadows. Parcells loathed Bob Kraft, a superfan-turned-owner who liked to sun himself in the network camera lights.

Jones is Kraft times 10, a guy just itching to draw up the plays. Parcells met him at the altar because he figured the marital pain was worth the potential gain.

Winning it all with the Cowboys, America's team, would send Parcells' legacy through the Texas Stadium roof. He might even go down as the greatest NFL coach of all time.

But along the way, Parcells neglected the one guiding principle of the sport that brought him fortune and fame:

You have no chance without a quarterback.

And hey, it's not like Parcells hasn't had his share of quarterback problems in the past. His first year as a head coach was defined by his disastrous decision to start Scott Brunner over Phil Simms, a choice that gave birth to a 3-12-1 record.

Parcells opened his tenure with the Jets by feuding with Neil O'Donnell, their wretched relationship ending with a profane sideline screaming match. After he moved out O'Donnell and rode Testaverde to the AFC title game, Parcells watched his Super Bowl dreams collapse with Testaverde's left Achilles' tendon in the following year's opener, leaving the Jets in the wayward hands of Rick Mirer.

Jerry Jones gave Parcells his final crack at the biggest Sunday in sports. The coach had named his daughter Dallas after the storied franchise, so he didn't need any history course to freshen up on Cowboys lore.

He knew they'd won their five Super Bowls with Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman

This is a prime example why residual lovefests for this Fat Ass drive me crazy. Parcells will let his ego get in the way of everything, via sacrificial lambs, will sacrifice winning at times because of it - when he's actually trying to win. I know that reads somewhat convoluted, but muddle through. The shoddy way he went about it, typical. So now if Romo bombs and bombs terribly, he'll keep him in for the next 6 games just to spite himself and everyone around him over his pigheaded decision making. He did the same ill-advised cr*p with Mirer over Lucas when Lucas was clearly the better choice at the time. He's a bloated dirtbag with a bloated ego to match. Hey, scr*w that guy. I hope the Cowboys lose all year long, although that's always a tough choice given that the Cowboys and the Giants are in the same division and the Giants must die.

This is a prime example why residual lovefests for this Fat Ass drive me crazy. Parcells will let his ego get in the way of everything, via sacrificial lambs, will sacrifice winning at times because of it - when he's actually trying to win. I know that reads somewhat convoluted, but muddle through. The shoddy way he went about it, typical. So now if Romo bombs and bombs terribly, he'll keep him in for the next 6 games just to spite himself and everyone around him over his pigheaded decision making. He did the same ill-advised cr*p with Mirer over Lucas when Lucas was clearly the better choice at the time. He's a bloated dirtbag with a bloated ego to match. Hey, scr*w that guy. I hope the Cowboys lose all year long, although that's always a tough choice given that the Cowboys and the Giants are in the same division and the Giants must die.

How much alimony does that fat bastard still owe you?

Kurt Warner was the ****ing man from 99-01, i dont recall many quarterbacks having so many 300 yard games and still be constant winners

Archived