Leon Washington making case to be Jets' RB of present -- and future

Sperm Edwards

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-leaningonleon&prov=ap&type=lgns

Leon Washington making case to be Jets' RB of present -- and future

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer

October 25, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- Leon Washington can no longer walk into the locker room anonymously, put on his uniform and pads and head out to the practice field the way he did at the beginning of the season.

The New York Jets rookie running back with the flashy moves and the big, bright smile draws crowds to his locker these days.

"Football is fun," said a beaming Washington, surrounded by nearly a dozen reporters and a handful of cameras Wednesday.

Washington has rushed for over 100 yards in two of the last three games and, more importantly, might have established himself as the Jets' running back of the present -- and future. The urgency for Curtis Martin to recover from his knee injury and get back on the field lessens with each productive game by Washington.

"It's been pretty good," he said, "but at the same time, I have to remain humble in my approach and realize that I'm still a young guy and there's still a lot of places I can improve my game on the field."

That's an ongoing process, helped in part by Martin, who in some ways is passing the baton to Washington. The two constantly talk, and Martin has told him to be more patient with his runs and use the entire field, not just instinctively bounce to the outside.

"Thank God I am blessed with Curtis Martin in the locker room," Washington said recently. "He has been a big help in our running game and he has also taught the offensive line and helped them out. It's just one of those things that having him in the locker room has been a big help, especially to me in my rookie year."

That's saying a mouthful, especially since Washington has single-handedly sparked a running game that was stagnant during the first few weeks. Since Martin's season ended in Week 12 last year and his career was thrown into uncertainty, the Jets have been looking for someone to step up.

First, it was Cedric Houston, then Derrick Blaylock. The Jets, knowing Martin wouldn't be ready for this season, traded for Lee Suggs but voided the deal when he failed a physical. Kevan Barlow was the next to come in, but hasn't been as productive as New York hoped.

The answer has come in a small, shifty and powerful fourth-round draft pick from Florida State.

"That young guy, he's great," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "The thing about him, he's all about football. He's always here late studying, he's got all the moves and he's a quick guy. It's good for him -- it's good for us."

The 5-foot-8, 202-pound Washington was initially considered little more than a change-of-pace back who could return kicks and punts, similar to how Tiki Barber was labeled early in his career. Washington is already turning into a lot more for the Jets.

He rushed for 101 yards against Jacksonville in Week 5, had 58 yards on 11 carries against Miami the following week and a career-high 129 yards -- the most by a Jets rookie since Matt Snell had 180 in 1964 -- and his first two NFL touchdowns in New York's victory over Detroit on Sunday.

"My job is to do whatever's needed: running the ball, making tackles on kickoffs and just improving each week," Washington said. "And if my name is called, just take advantage of the opportunity and give our team a chance to win."

He's certainly doing that. His 346 yards rushing are third among NFL rookies, behind only New England's Laurence Maroney (361) and Indianapolis' Joseph Addai (354). Not bad considering he was used mostly on kickoffs in the first two games.

Washington is an intriguing mix of Barry Sanders and Terrell Davis. He uses his shifty hips to throw off defenders and zips by them with terrific speed on some plays. And, despite his size, he's tough to tackle because of his strong upper body and powerful legs. Rarely does he go down on a first hit, and he keeps his legs churning.

"For me, the most impressive thing is his physicality," Pennington said after the Detroit game. "People are learning about his speed, but he's very physical between the tackles."

The Jets must have seen that when they made him the 117th pick in the draft, despite a generally unspectacular college career.

He rushed for 951 yards and seven touchdowns in nine games as a sophomore, but had just 660 yards and two TDs the next two seasons. Still, the 2004 Gator Bowl MVP became the only player under Bobby Bowden to score a touchdown five different ways, getting into the end zone last season on a run, reception, punt return, kickoff return and fumble recovery.

In maybe the surest sign that Washington has arrived as a big-time NFL player, fantasy football fanatics have been furiously clamoring to add him to their teams -- a thought that amuses the rookie.

"Some of my friends are big into fantasy football, and I really didn't know too much about it until earlier this year," Washington said, again flashing that familiar smile. "It feels good. For those fantasy guys who go out there and play me, I guess it's good for them."

"That young guy, he's great," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "The thing about him, he's all about football. He's always here late studying, he's got all the moves and he's a quick guy. It's good for him -- it's good for us."

this is a telling comment and speaks to the new jets draft strategy - smart, hard-working, versatile, football first guys. as long as for every schlegel there is a b smith and leon washington the mangini philosophy on building this franchise will work.

Wonder where he would've been drafted if FSU had anything resembling an OL.

At the time of the draft I was thinking it was going to be Martin & Blaylock mostly & Leon might see some action on ST's plus an occasional garbage-time series. I think he can carry the load. He's roughly the same size as Priest. Just gotta make sure he's there on pass-blocking. It's not like he's a feather at 5'8/203. I don't want him to gain weight for the sake of gaining weight if it slows him down even a little bit.

Wonder where he would've been drafted if FSU had anything resembling an OL.

At the time of the draft I was thinking it was going to be Martin & Blaylock mostly & Leon might see some action on ST's plus an occasional garbage-time series. I think he can carry the load. He's roughly the same size as Priest. Just gotta make sure he's there on pass-blocking. It's not like he's a feather at 5'8/203. I don't want him to gain weight for the sake of gaining weight if it slows him down even a little bit.

the thing about the jets offense this year is that it is designed around a gameplan and specific packages. shotenheimer has done a great job of keeping leon away from 1-on-1 matchups with lb's or de's. with leon in the game you see more of the te/h-back staying in to block via motion.

I'm liking this kid more and more SE and want to SEE more of him.He's got heart ya gotta give him that and coming from where he comes from ya gotta root for him

me too....LEON and HOUSTON will make a nice 1-2 punch...(once houston comes back)..

when is houston coming back..??? this week??

Barlow has disappointed. Funny how he is the goal line back at this point. No way Leon doesn't get 20 touches (or close to it) going forward. Will be interesting to see how much he can physically take (always the knock on small backs).

Barlow has disappointed. Funny how he is the goal line back at this point. No way Leon doesn't get 20 touches (or close to it) going forward. Will be interesting to see how much he can physically take (always the knock on small backs).

I disagree. I think you will see a lot of either Barlow or Houston against the Bears, or any other tough defensive team. Remember, Barlow came here late in pre-season. He is probably just now getting real comfty with the playbook, which I understood from several articles over the past few months, is quite hefty.

• 2 years later...
he is not worth what he is asking for, period!

OP date

10-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Just an FYI

I wanted to show we go through this "he is worth it" every year... and he never steps up as more than an electric backup.

i know, i always check the dates. But seriously, he is not worth $6 Mil

Especially considering nothing has changed since 06' and he still has the same role... actually less of a role with TJ here...

Especially considering nothing has changed since 06' and he still has the same role... actually less of a role with TJ here...

dont get me wrong though, i love the guy but he's got the serious case of L. Coles... what happened to LC when he left for what he thought were greener pastures?

dont get me wrong though, i love the guy but he's got the serious case of L. Coles... what happened to LC when he left for what he thought were greener pastures?

Has Leon really been given the ball that much to prove that he can't carry the load? Not really. I don't think he's worth what he's asking. I bet if they meet in the middle it will get the job done. Then give him the ball and see what happens.

Bump for some perspective...

Leon has been in this boat for 3 years now... never can make the leap...

Bullsh!t.

The man's never been given the chance. It has nothing to do with him not being able to make the leap. It has to do with his coaches looking to keep him fresh for returns, and the whole "he's too small" crap that never plagued Tiki, Dunn, etc. I'm very confident that he could be at least another Freeman McNeil.

Now with a designated punt returner, a disgruntled TJ, and a big contract, maybe we'll finally get to see it.

Bullsh!t.

The man's never been given the chance. It has nothing to do with him not being able to make the leap. It has to do with his coaches looking to keep him fresh for returns, and the whole "he's too small" crap that never plagued Tiki, Dunn, etc. I'm very confident that he could be at least another Freeman McNeil.

Now with a designated punt returner, a disgruntled TJ, and a big contract, maybe we'll finally get to see it.

Absolutely. And now with Green, he doesn't have to be a 25 carry a game guy. Get rid of T Jones and use the money to make Leon happy.

If he scores a TD on one attempt in a game, can you imagine what he could do with 12 to 15 carries? Schotty may still be around, but now we have a HC who seems to have a clue. I am very disappointed in Mr. T in not getting this resolved already.

Has Leon really been given the ball that much to prove that he can't carry the load? Not really. I don't think he's worth what he's asking. I bet if they meet in the middle it will get the job done. Then give him the ball and see what happens.

i dont care weather he got a fair chance or not, i'm on the record of stating "other than Adrian Peterson, no back is worth more than $5m per season." And you can qoute me on that!

Bullsh!t.

I agree with slats. Leon has always reminded me a little of Tiki Barber and hope Schotty better utilizes his talents this year. The man has done nothing but make plays when he's on the field. With that said...the JETS needs a sensible contract that rewards his play but does not go overboard.

Archived