Greatest cover version ever

Preston Howley III

Yeah...

I'd forgotten about AATW

That is a real good one.

What an incredible guy Hendrix was.

Wrote and played some amazing stuff.

And also changed around and played some great stuff written by others.

He took the guitar to a whole new place.

I dunno, I know it's sacrilige, but Hendrix got all of his ideas from all those obscure, club circuit guitar players that were too old to capitalize on the 60's music scene.

Joan Baez Diamonds and rust done by Judas Priest.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno, I know it's sacrilige, but Hendrix got all of his ideas from all those obscure, club circuit guitar players that were too old to capitalize on the 60's music scene.

Moses, you are very knowledgeable in music but that's complete hooey. Jimi's style of playing came solely from old blues guys like Robert johnson and Muddy Waters. His psychodelic sounds mostly came from screwing around with things in the studio, such as backwards recorded leads and phase sounds from holding the tape reel while recording. Most of Jimi's effects came from gimmicks, not from effects pedals. Jimi used a distortion pedal and a wah while playing live. He also used a Univibe to get his phaser sound live, but he got his pahser sounds on record by holding the tapes slightly while it was recording. He rarely used a univibe for a recording. He was quite original with his sound and style. Sure he may have gotten ideas here and there as all musicians do, but he was much more a pioneer than he was a copycat.

Moses, you are very knowledgeable in music but that's complete hooey. Jimi's style of playing came solely from old blues guys like Robert johnson and Muddy Waters. His psychodelic sounds mostly came from screwing around with things in the studio, such as backwards recorded leads and phase sounds from holding the tape reel while recording. Most of Jimi's effects came from gimmicks, not from effects pedals. Jimi used a distortion pedal and a wah while playing live. He also used a Univibe to get his phaser sound live, but he got his pahser sounds on record by holding the tapes slightly while it was recording. He rarely used a univibe for a recording. He was quite original with his sound and style. Sure he may have gotten ideas here and there as all musicians do, but he was much more a pioneer than he was a copycat.

Just checking to see who was paying attention. ;)

I think for Halen covering the Kinks I'd take "Where Have All the Good Times Gone?"

No. No way. Diver Down is the result of a band that ran out of ideas. They covered the Marvelettes Dancing in the Street and Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman, on that album, too.

You really got me might make it to the final. Personally I think Hendrix is walking away with this.

No. No way. Diver Down is the result of a band that ran out of ideas. They covered the Marvelettes Dancing in the Street and Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman, on that album, too.

You really got me might make it to the final. Personally I think Hendrix is walking away with this.

Ideas? They were doing covers from the start. I'm with you on staying away from Dancing in the Street and Pretty Woman covers though. I usually like those punk covers, but none of them are truly great. I can remember seeing some punk band that looked like a country band at CBGB in the very early 90s doing an awesome version of 867-5309.

Ideas? They were doing covers from the start. I'm with you on staying away from Dancing in the Street and Pretty Woman covers though. I usually like those punk covers, but none of them are truly great. I can remember seeing some punk band that looked like a country band at CBGB in the very early 90s doing an awesome version of 867-5309.

Ramones doing Needles and Pins by the... sht I forgot the name of that band.

Speaking of CBGB's-

Talking Heads Take me to the river.

The Who covering Summertime Blues.

The Ramones covering Substitute.

Ramones had a whole album of covers ready to go, when they got screwed by their record company refusing to release it because GnR was coming out with The Spaghetti Incident punk cover version disc at the same time with some of the same songs. Pretty much sums up the Ramones' whole career-somehow they were gonna get screwed over.

speaking of Robert Johnson the Stones did a killer version of Love In Vain in fact to you younger guys download anything you can find from the Rolling Stones'album "Get Your Ya's Ya's Out" it was a Garden show from 1969 they also did some of the best ever Chuck Berry- Little Queenie and Carol-better than Chuck himself....Louie Louie is also a Berry composition

anybody mention Cream doing Robert Johnson's (right NJ?) Crossroads yet?

You right SoFla - and EC carried a down tempo version over into Derek and the Dominoes.

Nobody's thrown on a couple of Willie Dixon imortal's that Led Zeppelin covered - I Can't Quit You Babe and You Shook Me (Dixon and J. B. Lenior)

You right SoFla - and EC carried a down tempo version over into Derek and the Dominoes.

Nobody's thrown on a couple of Willie Dixon imortal's that Led Zeppelin covered - I Can't Quit You Babe and You Shook Me (Dixon and J. B. Lenior)

yea NJ and I also just found a cool version of The Allman Brothers Band doing Crossroads-if you ain't got it and want it I'll send it over...

Zeek1055@bellsouth.net

yup 2 or 3 times GG (Watchtower that is)

LOL! i forgot the winky face... a poor attempt on my part at humor ;)

there is also RESPECT by aretha originally by otis redding.

low sparks of high heeled boys ( no...not an ode to brady :lol: ) originally by traffic... covered by ricki lee jones

LOL! i forgot the winky face... a poor attempt on my part at humor ;)

there is also RESPECT by aretha originally by otis redding.

low sparks of high heeled boys ( no...not an ode to brady :lol: ) originally by traffic... covered by ricki lee jones

ooh I gotta look for that one GG Ricki was so cool-how about When Will I Be Loved by Linda Ronstadt? Old Everly Brothers song

The Righteous Brothers KILLED this one-Bobby Hatfield sang the **** outta it

"Unchained Melody" is one of the most recorded songs of the 20th century, by some counts having spawned over 500 versions.[1] One week in the 1950s saw no less than four different cover versions in the British charts alone. Four artists covering the song are listed in the Guinness Book of British Hit Singles as: Jimmy Young, Les Baxter, Al Hibbler and Liberace in May and June 1955.

The music was written by renowned film composer Alex North as a theme for the now obscure 1955 prison film Unchained, the lyrics by Hy Zaret. They tell of a prisoner's anguished longing for his wife.

The song was originally written, lyrics first, by William Stirrat, aka Hy Zaret, in 1936 at summer camp, in an attempt to woo a girl named Mary Louise "Cookie" Pierce. At this same camp Stirrat met Alex North and begged him to write a melody for his words. They wanted Bing Crosby, North's neighbor at the time, to sing the song. It took them until 1955 to get Al Hibbler to sing it and in that year it was finally released and reached the top 30 by four different artists.

yea NJ and I also just found a cool version of The Allman Brothers Band doing Crossroads-if you ain't got it and want it I'll send it over...

[/quote]

I have it Jim - but thanks. Next time down to Fla we'll hook up and have a MP3-athon.

How bout Six Days On The Road covered great by Taj Mahal and then George Thorogood

The amazing thing to me is that Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra did ALL covers-neither ever wrote a song in their lives-The Colonel MADE songwriters PUT Elvis' name as a co-writer for him to record their songs-who wouldn't go for that deal?

Wilson Pickett and Duane Allman doing "Hey Jude"

Dwight Yoakam's "Suspicious Minds" cover

Pantera's cover of Sabbath's "Planet Caravan"

Hank III has a rare cover of Johnny Paycheck's "The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised" that completely takes the song in a new, twisted direction.

• 1 year later...

So I was listening to some Hendrix the other day, and I googled "All Along the Watchtower" and I found out that it was originally a Bob Dylan tune. I had no idea, I thought it was an original Hendrix.

Then I remembered this thread, and I know troll and boozer said it already but the best cover version ever is All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.

Archived