Namath interview on 60 minutes last night

faba

it was great, of course i'm biased but I thought he was all class. he handled the suzie kiss beautifully. "look i'd still like to kiss her but perhaps that was the wrong time to mention it & he wished he had a doover on that one. It did prompt his rehab so he is thankful for that.He downplayeed the guarantee sb111 win by saying he was responding to someones brash statement & of course he believed he would win. you don't take the field if you think otherwise.

I saw it too Frank and it was very well done. It talked about his career, injuries, how he was a single dad bringing up the 2 girls, and that he was finishing his undergrad at Bama. It wasn't a Inside Edition style exposee on his recovery but he talked briefly about it. At the end, the interviewer kinda played pimp for him by asking about current relationships to which Joe Willie said there were none but he hoped the air time might drum a few up. He's still a showman but a damn classy one.

I saw it too Frank and it was very well done. It talked about his career, injuries, how he was a single dad bringing up the 2 girls, and that he was finishing his undergrad at Bama. It wasn't a Inside Edition style exposee on his recovery but he talked briefly about it. At the end, the interviewer kinda played pimp for him by asking about current relationships to which Joe Willie said there were none but he hoped the air time might drum a few up. He's still a showman but a damn classy one.

Thanks joewilly and NJ (John). I am sorry I missed out on this show-Joe has turned his like around but still has the playboy in him I see.

I thought the interview was great. He is certainly a very charistmatic man. It takes a lot of guts to tell the world that your wife cheated on you. He handled the Colber question quite well....he's either a very smart man or he has one heck of a publicist. He came off as a very endearing, "regular" guy.

However, I could not help but think:

During the piece, it was stated that Namath was the first "metrosexual." They showed him wearing fur coats and they also showed the famous Panty Hose commercial. So, riddle me this: since Tom Brady is contantly being called a homosexual by many here - why on Gawd's Green Earth wouldn't Namath be called out? Is it because it was a gazillion years ago? Were mink coats and panty hose something all men in NY wore?

I thought the interview was great. He is certainly a very charistmatic man. It takes a lot of guts to tell the world that your wife cheated on you. He handled the Colber question quite well....he's either a very smart man or he has one heck of a publicist. He came off as a very endearing, "regular" guy.

During the piece, it was stated that Namath was the first "metrosexual." They showed him wearing fur coats and they also showed the famous Panty Hose commercial. So, riddle me this: since Tom Brady is contantly being called a homosexual by many here - why on Gawd's Green Earth wouldn't Namath be called out? Is it because it was a gazillion years ago? Were mink coats and panty hose something all men in NY wore?

No garb it's B/C Joe IS a pimp and brady likes to be Pimped and there you have it.

It's a testament to his savoir faire that Joe was able to pull it off. Brady can not do that because he is...well...gay.

please don't use tom brady in the same sentence as joe namath, thanks.

No problem, JW. Tom Brady has won three sb's and Joe won one (albeit controversial to the conspiracy theorists out there). ;)

I'll take Tom Brady every day and twice on Sunday. Think of it this way, if Joe Namath is Jesus to you all, Tom Brady is God to Pats fans.

I'm sort of busting chops here. There is no right or wrong. Joe Namath is your hero. Good for you. It should also enlighten you to how Pats fans would feel about Tom Brady.

No problem, JW. Tom Brady has won three sb's and Joe won one (albeit controversial to the conspiracy theorists out there). ;)

I'll take Tom Brady every day and twice on Sunday. Think of it this way, if Joe Namath is Jesus to you all, Tom Brady is God to Pats fans.

I'm sort of busting chops here. There is no right or wrong. Joe Namath is your hero. Good for you. It should also enlighten you to how Pats fans would feel about Tom Brady.

fair enough but i'm not interested in a pats fan coming to a jets board & bringing tom brady's into the mix. drop it ok? this thread is about joe namath.thanks

fair enough but i'm not interested in a pats fan coming to a jets board & bringing tom brady's into the mix. drop it ok? this thread is about joe namath.thanks

I gave the man credit, JW. I said the interview was terrific. I was just making a point. I "guarantee" you that if Namath was playing QB in today's NFL - and he did a panty hose commercial - opposing fans would be calling him gay.....in either a fun way or a mean-spirited way. You know that would be the case. Just making a point. I've got nothing against Namath. I never saw the guy play. I can make absolutely no comment on his actual play.

I gave the man credit, JW. I said the interview was terrific. I was just making a point. I "guarantee" you that if Namath was playing QB in today's NFL - and he did a panty hose commercial - opposing fans would be calling him gay.....in either a fun way or a mean-spirited way. You know that would be the case. Just making a point. I've got nothing against Namath. I never saw the guy play. I can make absolutely no comment on his actual play.

You see that's our point, to be honest I saw Nameth play it was in 71 or 72, and I can tell you there wasn't another QB that could QB the way he did....forget about Montana, Elway, Marino, and whoever else there was a 3-4 year period where he was just super.....(and won one of those to boot). And he gave Johnny U a run for his money as well.

thanks garb, even joe didn't want it aired after he saw the end result. He couldn't stop it by then though. oh well, he has lived a pretty interesting life, shattered by the news of his wife cheating but always remained a solid father figure with his kids. Sure he loved the ladies but he was a solid human being who battles alchohol like lots of people. Thing is, he does something about mistakes he's made & faces up to them. He is all class imo. My childhood hero has never dissappointed thru some tough years.

I've got nothing against Namath. I never saw the guy play. I can make absolutely no comment on his actual play.

So why waste hot air and bandwidth with this gem, which makes zero sense>

I'll take Tom Brady every day and twice on Sunday.

Different times, different era Garb.

No one would accuse Joe of being gay, in that he not only wore panty hose and fur coats, but also wore a variety of women on national magazine covers.

His late night exploits were pretty famous, and there was no mistaking where his preferences lay (excuse the pun).

So why waste hot air and bandwidth with this gem, which makes zero sense>

because I love MY football hero much like you love yours....

sorry to waste space with my non-gems - please do create more bad poetry for us to read.....now that's some awesome use of bandwidth! :P

Fur coats were hip back then, Walt Frazier had a colection of furs and an even bigger collection of women.

The pantyhose? I'm pretty sure they were worn under the football pants to trap heat and keep the legs warm, the old school football pants got wet and cold in a hurry (not much technology back then) so you had to do what you could to stay warm. Pantyhose worked in that regard.

In fact, take a look at today's football pants, very . . . um pantyhose-like wouldn't you say?:P

I just saw the interview. It was pretty good. I'm always surprised by how beat up Joe looks. Those skinny little legs, his voice. He handled himself very well. Owned up to his mistakes. Those highlights were shocking. He had as good of an arm as there's ever been.

make no mistake, joe kept the candle lit on both ends, but he always handled himself with class & backed up his talk, when he talked.

Fur coats were hip back then, Walt Frazier had a colection of furs and an even bigger collection of women.

The pantyhose? I'm pretty sure they were worn under the football pants to trap heat and keep the legs warm, the old school football pants got wet and cold in a hurry (not much technology back then) so you had to do what you could to stay warm. Pantyhose worked in that regard.

In fact, take a look at today's football pants, very . . . um pantyhose-like wouldn't you say?:P

Apparently, you don't remember teh panty hose context.

Joe wore panty hose in a commercial. The catch was, since Joe was famous for having bad legs and multiple operations that "If pantyhose could make his legs look good, imagine what they could do for yours".

I don't believe the panty hose were ever worn on the field.

it was great, of course i'm biased but I thought he was all class. he handled the suzie kiss beautifully. "look i'd still like to kiss her but perhaps that was the wrong time to mention it & he wished he had a doover on that one. It did prompt his rehab so he is thankful for that.He downplayeed the guarantee sb111 win by saying he was responding to someones brash statement & of course he believed he would win. you don't take the field if you think otherwise.

It was an excellent interview.

Dude had a cannon.

Namath was comfortable enough with his sexuality that he could wear a fur coat and pantyhose and know that he'd still be able to go home with any woman he winked at.

Tom Brady winks at men.

Understood?

Namath > Brady

Every day.

because I love MY football hero much like you love yours....

sorry to waste space with my non-gems - please do create more bad poetry for us to read.....now that's some awesome use of bandwidth! :P

Bad poetry is one of my specialties.

Well, alright, since you brought it up. :mrgreen:

Haiku III

Some female posters

are a real pain in the ass

I'm not sayin' who

;)

yeah, something sorely missed on todays jet team.

Seriously...it is amazing he is walking today. When they showed that late hit, or it would be a late hit today, by the Jill like 3 seconds after he passed. They were some tough players back then.

Archived