Archeletta One & Done

From ESPN.com

ASHBURN, Va. -- Beleaguered Washington Redskins safety Adam Archuleta broke his silence Thursday, offering a glimpse of what it's been like to sit in the doghouse all season.

Archuleta, signed in March to the richest contract for a safety in NFL history, hasn't played a snap on defense in seven weeks. Coach Joe Gibbs and assistant Gregg Williams have not given an explanation for the benching, and they've shown little patience when asked to discuss Archuleta's plight beyond generic comments such as: "He's had a good week of practice."

"Do I deserve an explanation?" Archuleta said. "I don't know if an explanation matters anymore because what's done is done. I pretty much know what's going on. I pretty much know what it all stems from."

Archuleta wouldn't go into detail, but he said he hopes the coaching staff is upfront with him when they meet with him in next week's exit interviews.

"I'm a grown man. I don't like getting lied to," Archuleta said. "All people want is for people to be straight up with them. I don't mind bad news. I don't mind negativity. I don't mind if somebody says to my face what my flaws are and what I'm doing wrong and what kind of person they think I am.

"I welcome those kind of things because an honest assessment is all anybody wants in this business. I don't need someone to sit here and tell me how great I am: 'I'm doing good, just keep working hard.' I don't need that. I need real stuff. That's the only way I can make an evaluation as to who I am as a player."

Archuleta, a free agent from St. Louis, signed a seven-year, $35 million contract that includes $10 million in bonuses, but it became immediately apparent during training camp that Williams wanted to use his new player in different ways than the Rams did.

Archuleta, a hard-hitting converted linebacker, was asked to play more coverage -- not his strong suit. He started the first seven games only because Pierson Prioleau was lost for the season with a knee injury, and his liabilities are one of the reasons the Redskins lead the league in allowing passes of 20 yards or more.

Now Archuleta isn't a part of the defense at all. He's used only on special teams, and that's the only role he expects to play in Saturday night's season finale against the New York Giants. There seems little sense in having him return next year, even if it means taking a large salary cap hit.

Archuleta spoke after Gibbs had addressed the media, although Gibbs made tacit acknowledgment of the Archuleta mistake and other free agent miscues by saying he plans to re-examine the team's approach to the offseason. Williams was not available to reporters Thursday.

Archuleta was vague when asked about his future.

"A lot of things have been going through my mind," Archuleta said. "I've pretty much scoured every subject known to man in the last six months of my life, so we'll see."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Archuletta has a lot of physical problems that limit his ability. Wouldn't mind signing him for the right price - but I'm willing to bet someone will step up with big bucks for him. Archuleta is living on reputation right now though.

He was playing for the freakin' Redskins. He was pretty good when in St. Louis. That's why that dumba$$ Snyder gave him a fat contract in the first place.

He has major back issues - but like I said I would not mind him on my team, he is still good.

Adam Archuleta is one of those safeties that seems to play better the closer he is to the line of scrimmage.He's not very good as a safety who's asked to stay back in coverage.

Exactly.

Archuleta would thrive in a defense that sends the safety blitz.

Exactly.

Archuleta would thrive in a defense that sends the safety blitz.

I agree. He would be best used near the line of scrimmage....But the weird things is, Arch ran the 40 in 4.3 seconds at the Combine.

What happened with the Skins' is:

1) they mis-utilized him in coverage. For whatever reason, despite the outstanding athletic ability, he's not great in coverage.

2) Dan Snyder, the Skins clueless owner, has told the coaching staff not to play him....Instead being honest with fans that he runied a once great franchise, he goes around scapegoating hi-profile players.

BTY, if Mike Martz gets a head coaching, expect Archuleta and Kevin Curtis (free agent) to follow him.

From ESPN.com

ASHBURN, Va. -- Beleaguered Washington Redskins safety Adam Archuleta broke his silence Thursday, offering a glimpse of what it's been like to sit in the doghouse all season.

Archuleta, signed in March to the richest contract for a safety in NFL history, hasn't played a snap on defense in seven weeks. Coach Joe Gibbs and assistant Gregg Williams have not given an explanation for the benching, and they've shown little patience when asked to discuss Archuleta's plight beyond generic comments such as: "He's had a good week of practice."

"Do I deserve an explanation?" Archuleta said. "I don't know if an explanation matters anymore because what's done is done. I pretty much know what's going on. I pretty much know what it all stems from."

Archuleta wouldn't go into detail, but he said he hopes the coaching staff is upfront with him when they meet with him in next week's exit interviews.

"I'm a grown man. I don't like getting lied to," Archuleta said. "All people want is for people to be straight up with them. I don't mind bad news. I don't mind negativity. I don't mind if somebody says to my face what my flaws are and what I'm doing wrong and what kind of person they think I am.

"I welcome those kind of things because an honest assessment is all anybody wants in this business. I don't need someone to sit here and tell me how great I am: 'I'm doing good, just keep working hard.' I don't need that. I need real stuff. That's the only way I can make an evaluation as to who I am as a player."

Archuleta, a free agent from St. Louis, signed a seven-year, $35 million contract that includes $10 million in bonuses, but it became immediately apparent during training camp that Williams wanted to use his new player in different ways than the Rams did.

Archuleta, a hard-hitting converted linebacker, was asked to play more coverage -- not his strong suit. He started the first seven games only because Pierson Prioleau was lost for the season with a knee injury, and his liabilities are one of the reasons the Redskins lead the league in allowing passes of 20 yards or more.

Now Archuleta isn't a part of the defense at all. He's used only on special teams, and that's the only role he expects to play in Saturday night's season finale against the New York Giants. There seems little sense in having him return next year, even if it means taking a large salary cap hit.

Archuleta spoke after Gibbs had addressed the media, although Gibbs made tacit acknowledgment of the Archuleta mistake and other free agent miscues by saying he plans to re-examine the team's approach to the offseason. Williams was not available to reporters Thursday.

Archuleta was vague when asked about his future.

"A lot of things have been going through my mind," Archuleta said. "I've pretty much scoured every subject known to man in the last six months of my life, so we'll see."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

I can't believe you started a thread about Adam Archuleta. Man, you're up to like 5 penalty shots on Sunday.

I don't understand this.

I thought Williams loved to blitz?

Can't Archuletta do this quite well?

I don't know that he's much of a blitzer, he excels at run support. That's why I think he could make a nice replacement for Harrison in a year or two.

I don't understand this.

I thought Williams loved to blitz?

Can't Archuletta do this quite well?

Springs injury and poor CB play all year have forced Williams to back off the blitz as they were getting torched. That's when they realized (as posted earlier in this thread) that Archuletta simply can't cover.......great against the run but cannot cover.

I for one think Archleta is a great Football player.. not that great at coverage, but makes big plays and big hits. I don't know about you guys but I was very much a greatest show on turf fan.. I watched them every week, and Archuleta became one of my favorite players on the rams. he has alot of heart, and I would love to see him on the jets.

The reason Arch isn't playing is 2-fold:

1) He did struggle some in a new system.....But it's hard to think that the waiver cuts that play in his place are that much better. He was the highest paid safety in the N.F.L. this season for a reason -- He played well enough for the Rams to garner a lot of free agent attention.

2) The real reason he isn't playing: Arch was brought in by the coaching staff, not the owner (who didn't want him)....The owner is sending a clear message to the head coach: I could give a bleep about your 3 Super Bowl titles, I'm running the show here.

No doubt that worthless little puke Synder (by edict) has crazy glued Arch's rear to the bench....the whole defense was worthless early in the season -- Adam got the whipping from Snyder.

If Snyder runs a respected head coach out the game with his jacka$$ ways, expect Washington to become like the Raiders, with meddling Al Davis running the show...

Like the Raiders, they will never attract a quality coaching staff and be forced to have Art Shell type retreads as head coaches and men running Bed & Breakfasts for 10 years coming out of retirement to run the offense....

Who would work for an idiot that squanders high draft picks left and right for backup QB's, RB's, WR's and kick returners, while ignoring depth on his lines?

That said, go Redskins (for one night)....Keep this current Giants team out the playoffs!

Archived