Leberfeld and Coles almost duke it out

docdhc

How appropriate . . . a thread about Leberfeld turns into a thread about dildos.

Leberfeld's lame defense that he was just telling Coles that he couldnt set the question agenda is a typical of his whining I have a right to the story (even if it doesnt exist)attitude. Of course Coles cant tell him what questions to ask, but he can make it clear that he isnt going to answer them and he can express frustration when he is continually asked questions that he has said he wont answer. Reporters like Leberfeld have to remember taht while they have the right to ask any question they want to, the people they are asking have the right not to answer and to expect that decision not to answer to be respected by the press.

Coles, scribe square off

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets' Laveranues Coles engaged in a heated altercation yesterday with a reporter who questioned him about his physical status after the 23-3 win over the Raiders at Giants Stadium.

Coles and Dan Leberfeld, of "Jets Confidential," both had to be restrained during a brief but ugly scene at Coles' locker. Coles, who has suffered back, head and chin injuries in recent weeks, grew tired of answering questions about his health from other reporters.

When Leberfeld joined the crowd around Coles' locker, he asked another injury-related question.

"Don't ask me about injuries," Coles said, alluding to Eric Mangini's team policy.

According to witnesses, Leberfeld walked away, muttering that Coles shouldn't be allowed to dictate the line of the questioning. They exchanged words. Leberfeld did an about-face, returning to Coles' locker.

Two public-relations staffers stepped in. One restrained Coles, who was dressed in a shirt with a sequined Pink-Panther logo and bright pink matching jacket. The other PR staffer pulled Leberfeld back from the fray. There was a huge equipment bag between them, along with other reporters. They never came close to blows.

When the altercation was defused, Coles turned back to reporters and said, "Sorry you had to see that."

Later, Leberfeld explained, "I just told him, 'You can't set the agenda for what reporters are allowed to ask.' It escalated from there. The rest is a blur. Here's the bottom line: Mangini doesn't set the rules for reporters. I'm not going to stop asking about injuries." Coles' injury status was a bit hazy after last week's game in Miami. He suffered from concussion-like symptoms from a helmet-to-helmet hit by Zach Thomas, but he was sent back into the game. Mangini refused to confirm or deny whether it was a concussion. Thomas was fined $7,500 by the league for the illegal hit. Yesterday, Coles played the entire game. He caught only two passes for 24 yards, but he made a key block on Leon Washington's 15-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

To call him a scribe is a stretch. Danny must be still grouchy about Brooks Bollinger leaving.

HOLY CRAP!!! did anyone else know that smizzy works in the JETS front office??? :shock:

:lol:

Leberfeld had every right to ask the question.

Coles is a notorious for being an arrogant, pompous individual.

Athough if it had come to blows, it would've been game over from Leb.

After knowing his boss considers that particular question verboten, after he was asked about it countless other times, hoping he'd catch him in a bad moment and spill something. And don't think Coles' wasn't still fomenting over his two dropped passes even though it had a happy ending. I'm not defending Coles' reaction, as he certainly could've handled it far, far better. He'll get a well-deserved talking to because it reflects on the TEAM, but his loyalty was in the right place, albeit poor presentation: To his team and his Coach, not a beat writer.

Notorious for being an arrogant and pompous individual? I have more than a little sympathy for what he transcended and how he's channeling it. And, I'd have less sympathy if he was pulling a TO in spirit and in substance. Next to his work ethic and unbridled toughnesse, he is a TEAM player, irrespective of the INDIVIDUAL chips on his shoulder.

After knowing his boss considers that particular question verboten, after he was asked about it countless other times, hoping he'd catch him in a bad moment and spill something. And don't think Coles' wasn't still fomenting over his two dropped passes even though it had a happy ending. I'm not defending Coles' reaction, as he certainly could've handled it far, far better. He'll get a well-deserved talking to because it reflects on the TEAM, but his loyalty was in the right place, albeit poor presentation: To his team and his Coach, not a beat writer.

Notorious for being an arrogant and pompous individual? I have more than a little sympathy for what he transcended and how he's channeling it. And, I'd have less sympathy if he was pulling a TO in spirit and in substance. Next to his work ethic and unbridled toughnesse, he is a TEAM player, irrespective of the INDIVIDUAL chips on his shoulder.

exactly jetophile

3 cheers for the golly good fellow!

POTW NOM

POTW NOM

Hey, thanks all. Gotta show a little love for my Jets; although nobody got the hidden Word Play....

Next to his work ethic and unbridled toughnesse, he is a TEAM player, irrespective of the....

...of pink shirts and the fops who wear them. HAH.

Great post Jeto and hopefully when he holds out and tries to force a trade for more money you'll feel the same way.

...no one tells me anything!

Now all you have to do to complete the picture is to shake your fist on your front porch and tote a rifle while yelling, "Get offa my propity!" Good for the spirit, very refreshing. I can just see the Giants running into oncoming traffic. Hehe.

Now all you have to do to complete the picture is to shake your fist on your front porch and tote a rifle while yelling, "Get offa my propity!" Good for the spirit, very refreshing. I can just see the Giants running into oncoming traffic. Hehe.

see now... i am more the crazy muttering cat lady... you know .. the kitties do talk to me...

meow

Archived