Leberfeld and Coles almost duke it out

docdhc

Coles, scribe square off

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets' Laveranues Coles engaged in a heated altercation yesterday with a reporter who questioned him about his physical status after the 23-3 win over the Raiders at Giants Stadium.

Coles and Dan Leberfeld, of "Jets Confidential," both had to be restrained during a brief but ugly scene at Coles' locker. Coles, who has suffered back, head and chin injuries in recent weeks, grew tired of answering questions about his health from other reporters.

When Leberfeld joined the crowd around Coles' locker, he asked another injury-related question.

"Don't ask me about injuries," Coles said, alluding to Eric Mangini's team policy.

According to witnesses, Leberfeld walked away, muttering that Coles shouldn't be allowed to dictate the line of the questioning. They exchanged words. Leberfeld did an about-face, returning to Coles' locker.

Two public-relations staffers stepped in. One restrained Coles, who was dressed in a shirt with a sequined Pink-Panther logo and bright pink matching jacket. The other PR staffer pulled Leberfeld back from the fray. There was a huge equipment bag between them, along with other reporters. They never came close to blows.

When the altercation was defused, Coles turned back to reporters and said, "Sorry you had to see that."

Later, Leberfeld explained, "I just told him, 'You can't set the agenda for what reporters are allowed to ask.' It escalated from there. The rest is a blur. Here's the bottom line: Mangini doesn't set the rules for reporters. I'm not going to stop asking about injuries." Coles' injury status was a bit hazy after last week's game in Miami. He suffered from concussion-like symptoms from a helmet-to-helmet hit by Zach Thomas, but he was sent back into the game. Mangini refused to confirm or deny whether it was a concussion. Thomas was fined $7,500 by the league for the illegal hit. Yesterday, Coles played the entire game. He caught only two passes for 24 yards, but he made a key block on Leon Washington's 15-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

To call him a scribe is a stretch. Danny must be still grouchy about Brooks Bollinger leaving.

screw him and his crappy website too...just another guy looking to find a way to make money off of Jets fans for something we can and should get for free-HE knows the policy,why is he trying to get Coles in trouble with his boss.

It's like somebody coming into your office,befriending you and then telling the boss that you said something about him...

AG's version:

First, the near fight.

Dan Leberfeld of Jets Confidential approached wide receiver Laveranues Coles as Coles was talking to a group of us and asked for an update on Coles’ health, given the blow to the head he took at Miami Monday night. Now, I had already tried this and was shot down quickly by Coles, who said he would talk about the playoffs, not injuries. I turned it around by saying, ``Let’s talk about that shirt,’’ because Coles was wearing a sequined Pink Panther T-shirt, black and pink with a pink sports jacket.

Anyway, Coles told Leberfeld the same thing, except Leberfeld turned and walked away, muttering that now the players were dictating what the media could ask. To which, Coles said, ``And don’t come back,’’ calling Leberfeld a curse word. To which Leberfeld said, ``You’re the (blank),’’ and told Coles not to tell him how to do his job. At this point, Coles puffed up his chest and said, ``Boy, you better walk away.’’ At this point, two Jets’ PR representatives grabbed Coles and Leberfeld, who continued to curse at each other. When Coles told Leberfeld again to walk away, Leberfeld replied, ``What are you going to do?’’

When the dust settled, Coles turned to the rest of us and apologized. My two cents on it is this: I think both were in the wrong, but, as usual, the person with the public image is always more wrong. Coles should know nothing good comes out of getting into it with a media member and if he had actually physically assaulted Leberfeld, he could have been facing legal trouble. Because Coles could really hurt somebody if he wanted to.

Leberfeld sounds like he did a good job of not acting scared. Because anyone who has seen these guys knows that Coles would tear Dan's arms off and beat him with them.

I wrote this in the game recap yesterday:

Nobody said it couldn

i hope they revoke leberfelds credentials

Bit -- what a show of support that would be for Coles.

Man that would be pretty funny. I understand that Coles was not right. But to mouth off to a player, especially a gamer like Coles, well that is not cool either.

Max, your recap is right on the money. I have been a subscriber to Jet Confidential since the Kotite years because I live out of the NY area and liked the coverage they provided. With the growth of the internet and message boards like JN, however, I get less and less new info from his paper and now Leberfeld has a chip on his shoulder when his opinions don't seem to hold up. He wanted Mike Tice to coach the Jets because he said Mangini was too inexperienced and he isn't man enough to admit how wrong he was. Its funny, when Kotite coached the Jets he hardly criticized him and he was very soft on Herm. It used to be just a homer type newspaper until Leberfeld started to think of himself as a real journalist. I don't mind editorial opinion, but admit when your wrong and move on, and never make yourself part of the story. I had a 3 year subscription to JC that is winding down and I doubt if I will renew.

Max, your recap is right on the money. I have been a subscriber to Jet Confidential since the Kotite years because I live out of the NY area and liked the coverage they provided. With the growth of the internet and message boards like JN, however, I get less and less new info from his paper and now Leberfeld has a chip on his shoulder when his opinions don't seem to hold up. He wanted Mike Tice to coach the Jets because he said Mangini was too inexperienced and he isn't man enough to admit how wrong he was. Its funny, when Kotite coached the Jets he hardly criticized him and he was very soft on Herm. It used to be just a homer type newspaper until Leberfeld started to think of himself as a real journalist. I don't mind editorial opinion, but admit when your wrong and move on, and never make yourself part of the story. I had a 3 year subscription to JC that is winding down and I doubt if I will renew.

I will be honest -- I never read JC. And I don't knock anyone for trying to make a living. It's just that they need to admit when they are wrong (like you said).

Mike Tice? Brooks Bollinger? Cmon. Mike Tice for head coach? After what happened in Minnesota? Great. Just great. Guess that tells us everything we need to know.

I like that Leberfeld didn't buy into Herm's BS,though his man crush on Brooksie was a little much. But baiting a guy like Coles is just stupid. Mangini's Jets aren't discussing injuries, period, so don't ask and don't make a big deal about it.

I have spoken to Leberfeld in person a few times and he is a very, very nice guy. You tell him you are a JC subscriber and the man wont stop thanking you. I understand his frustration here, he runs a paid publication website and Mangini is making it tough on him to put out a paper worth selling. But that does not mean he has to get in players faces and act like a tough guy or mope and groan about everything (he is always mocking Mangini for the lack of injury information on his website - gets redundant and unprofssional after a while). He is clearly in the wrong for that.

Coles is a real good player and has been for years but he has always been a hot head and a bit of an ass. Leberfeld should ask and if the player doesn't or can't answer he should just tell him no comment. It's not that difficult.

Always loved Coles and still do but the guy is a head case. He probably has reason to be one but he's a adult and a veteran now and it's time for him to grow up.

That is the truth though. All year long we heard the negative. Herm was better to the reporters. Jet's Confidential could get more exclusives with Herm around, I am sure. Therefore helping their bottom line. Same goes for other people that charge Jets fans for news. We don't care about their bottom line though. We don't care how tough their job is.

Mangini obviously changed everything. The reporters that are mad because they don't get to watch practice, I get that. I would be mad as well if I was them. But they all have to realize one thing. We just want this team to win.

The reporters are not the story. The team is the story. How many reporters wrote articles in the past about the "Jets Culture?" About how they were a losing franchise and how they needed to rethink things. Well -- the Jets have rethought things. Eric Mangini is being pretty clear about his intentions. Reporters aren't helping his team win games. So he is spending as little time with them as possible.

As a diehard fan I would rather think the Mangini is working on next weeks game plan. Instead of being the media darling.

POTW Max. That sums it up beautifully.

Again I dont want to come off as a Leberfeld apologist, but as JC subscriber Leberfeld ALWAYS killed Herm for all the off the record interviews he gave during the season. Leberfeld meantioned Herm would give daily off the record interviews for about an hour after his daily press conferences (which was not an obligation but something Herm chose to do) - time that he should have been using to coach and prepare his team. He praised Mangini for not doing the same. Also praised Mangini for cleaning up the off season conditioning program and just bring more discipline to the whole environment.

Yes, Leberfeld had a stiffy for Mike Tice, but he has been praising Mangini's coaching ability all year. The only thing he mocks Mangini for is the lack of injury info.

Coles is a real good player and has been for years but he has always been a hot head and a bit of an ass. Leberfeld should ask and if the player doesn't or can't answer he should just tell him no comment. It's not that difficult.

Always loved Coles and still do but the guy is a head case. He probably has reason to be one but he's a adult and a veteran now and it's time for him to grow up.

wrong-Leberfeld knows the we-can't-talk-about-injuries policy.It's been in place since Mangini took over.Telling a reporter what's hurting him puts Coles in direct conflict WITH that policy.Coles is not a hot head and has never been a "problem child" the likes of which we've seen too much of with say, a Terrel Owens.Coles uses his inner angst to motivate himself.The reporter is in the wrong.

How lame would it be to get beat up by a dude with a sequined pink panther shirt and pink jacket?

Coles is one tough fiery son of a b*tch. If he's wearing pink boxers, all the better. Wearing black is old braggadocio, pink is the new tough. "Yeah, I'm wearing pink. Thoughts? If so, I'll push your face in." Not you, personally, but you get me. Hehe.

Coles is one tough fiery son of a b*tch. If he's wearing pink boxers, all the better. Wearing black is old braggadocio, pink is the new tough. "Yeah, I'm wearing pink. Thoughts? If so, I'll push your face in." Not you, personally, but you get me. Hehe.

my wife (who dresses me-go figure) would NEVER let me leave the house in a pink shirt.

on note; I USED to dress myself...until I got married now it's "You're NOT leaving this house wearing THAT shirt with THOSE pants"

I USED to dress myself...until I got married now it's "You're NOT leaving this house wearing THAT shirt with THOSE pants"

Raiders fans should only learn from her.

It's HOW your wear things, that, too. Inner sexay, and all that; but I don't want this thread to go on a fashion police/fashion plait/fashion statement tangent, so I'll stop now. Hehe.

Back on point. Leberfeld should have backed off after trying to make Coles breach policy. Granted Coles isn't Mr. Personality, but he ISN'T Mr. MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME, and then again, there's always ME. So I'm OK with that. He's got a strong work ethic and Mangini has brought out something special in him, regardless of his occasional 'griping' over being driven so hard. He knows it has elevated his game.

my wife (who dresses me-go figure) would NEVER let me leave the house in a pink shirt.

on note; I USED to dress myself...until I got married now it's "You're NOT leaving this house wearing THAT shirt with THOSE pants"

maybe if you had a 10 inch johnson like coles she would let you dress any way you want. ;)

Archived