Herm- luck not involved in Chiefs making playoffs

faba

Get a clue then get back to me. you aren't worth my time.

"Bradway got the job conditionally, based on accepting the NFL's handpicked minority candidate":yawn:

Jesse Jackson put the thumb screws to Tag's, Tag's put the thumbscrews to the most vulnerable owner he could find, Woody Johnson.

This article should refresh your memory about the social engineering that was going on in the NFL back then:

http://football.about.com/library/weekly/aa021703.htm

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you joking? You sound like someone who started following the Jets in 2002 not 1969.

Parcells left to screw Belichick out of taking the NE job; or at least to prevent him from taking the NE job without compensation to the Jets; he didn't quit to get away from the Jets as you put it. The whole league knew this. Amazing a Jets fan doesn't.

BB left b/c he wanted a HC job away from Parcells' shadow (and Steve Guttman), not b/c he wanted to be a HC away from the Jets team he helped build.

Groh left b/c the whole team hated him almost to a man, & the Virginia job carried a lot less pressure. He was ripped in the media and clearly couldn't take it; Groh didn't bribe the NY reporters nearly as well as Herm did.

Yet you make it sound like no one in the world wanted the Jets HC job, and Herm Edwards saved the day & reluctantly took over this terrible situation of a team that was 9-7 b/c of a missed 25-yard FG, and had an offense capable of putting up some 500 yards on the 2000 Ravens defense. The year before that they were deep enough to go 8-8 with a practice-squad WR playing QB for most of the season.

Enter Herm & he takes this offense that, even with the awful turnovers, was able to move the ball on the unstoppable Ravens, and he turns them into a mediocre one that ran the ball on 8-minute drives even with the Jets down by 3 touchdowns.

Herm personifies the "no guts, no glory" philosophy to a tee. When it comes to game planning, he has no guts and will never have any glory.

This is so silly. So Herm's a "winner" because Denver lost to the 49'ers at home AND Cincy lost to Pittsburgh at home (and lost two OLmen in mid-season) AND because he only blew 13 of a late 18-point lead? And if not, THEN he's a "loser"? So he's "successful" based on what other teams did when they were not playing the Chiefs, as he guided a 10-6 team to a 9-7 record & dropped the #1 offense to middle-of-the-pack? That's some major rationalizing.

If parcells quit just to screw BB and Kraft then why didn't BP come back a year later?

I don't care what the circumstances if we had as much talent as you guys think we did 3 coaches would not have walked out on us and essentially it was 4 as BP had 2 cracks at continuing to coach here.

NO ONE did want the Jets job! One of the other candidates, Dom Capers, pulled his name out after interviewing. opther candiattes included ted Cottrell, Maurice Carthon. if we had so much talent established, quality coaches would have been knocking dow our door.

Our O in 2000 was bad, Vinny threw 25 INts b/c we relied too much on the pass. Herm came in and we becmae a running team and we made the playoffs b/c of it.

Jesse Jackson put the thumb screws to Tag's, Tag's put the thumbscrews to the most vulnerable owner he could find, Woody Johnson.

This article should refresh your memory about the social engineering that was going on in the NFL back then:

http://football.about.com/library/weekly/aa021703.htm

Why didn't we hire Marvin lewis then? if we were just looking for a black candiate then why not hire Marvin? or Cottrell? both had success as coordinators and lewis just guided the best D in 15 years.

As Homer gives his fumbling "motivational" speech, an impending meltdown threatens the Springfield plant. The crowd marches Homer to the control room, asking him to perform his heroic deeds once again. In front of everyone, Homer repeats his juvenile rhyme and presses a button blindly. By sheer dumb luck, he manages to avert this meltdown as well. He is even more widely derided as a lucky imbecile than he was hailed as a hero, and "to pull a Homer" becomes a widely-used phrase meaning "to succeed despite idiocy" (even entering the dictionary illustrated with a small portrait of Homer).

Just subsitute the name "Herm" with "Homer", pretty funny stuff...especially if you're a Simpson fan.

I stated facts about how KC missed the playoffs the previous 2 years and miraculously thye made it this year w/ Herm.

Terrific, you stated the obvious. Wow, what scholarly research!

you started w/ nonsense and excuses about his success and how he was hired.

It isn't "nonsense" because you deem it so.

I need someone who can challenge me and you are not that person at least w/ this argument. I love to argue but when people can't bring good arguments back at me it's pointless. brush up on your facts and then get back to me.

Oh please. Do me a favor and go crawl back under your rock. I completely whipped your *ss all over this thread.

When are you going to comment on the other thread where I posted that only 3 HCs have more PO appearances than herm since 2001?

Once again, you've stated the obvious.

How does a guy who can't coach do that?

I already explained it.

Come on now..you know him and Cottrel pushed for those signings....it's now blame Bradway??

The only awful signing encouraged by Herm was Steve White.

I think Bradway did a very good job here and people are finally starting to realize that.

How did Hurd do in his last start? Hint, it wasn't pretty. I'm not going to tell you your argument doesn't have merit, or that Herm isn't a dumb ass, however the Chiefs are a team with a top NFL proven QB near the end of his career. Hurd is a career backup who has shown nothing up until a few games this year before crashing and burning in his last start. To make the argument that Herm is an ass or stupid for wanting to go with Trent Green over Hurd in the playoffs when the window for Green is about 2 years just doesn't cut it for me. When Green steps out Hurd will still be a back up QB.

you're missing the point. if herm was right to bench huard after 11 td's and 1 int when green clearly wasn't 100% then he can't be right now to throw huard back in at halftime of a playoff game after not playing for 6 weeks. was he wrong then or is he wrong now about huard?

herm says the situation is different, essentially that you can sacrifice a game during the regular season for the long-term health of the program but that the playoffs are do or die. huh? what happened to "you play to win the game?"

I think Bradway did a very good job here and people are finally starting to realize that.

GEEZ...Herm ONLY gets credit for the GOOD results..and gets NO BLAME for the BAD results..that sounds very familiar.:bag:

I stated facts about how KC missed the playoffs the previous 2 years and miraculously thye made it this year w/ Herm.

Terrific, you stated the obvious. Wow, what scholarly research!

you started w/ nonsense and excuses about his success and how he was hired.

It isn't "nonsense" because you deem it so.

I need someone who can challenge me and you are not that person at least w/ this argument. I love to argue but when people can't bring good arguments back at me it's pointless. brush up on your facts and then get back to me.

Oh please. Do me a favor and go crawl back under your rock. I completely whipped your *ss all over this thread.

When are you going to comment on the other thread where I posted that only 3 HCs have more PO appearances than herm since 2001?

Once again, you've stated the obvious.

How does a guy who can't coach do that?

I already explained it.

yeah you whipped my ass all over this thread19.gif

This was like the '85 Bears facing the '96 Jets, you were too easy for me. Challenge me and i'll give you some credit.

It's a bad quality of mine, I don't like to see misinformation spread for people who may not know what actually happened so when I see nonsense I shoot it down.

By all means, set the record straight. Not to me, but to the "people" who may not know what actually happened. Pretend I'm not here. Talk to them. Enlighten them.

Tell them exactly "what actually happened".

GEEZ...Herm ONLY gets credit for the GOOD results..and gets NO BLAME for the BAD results..that sounds very familiar.:bag:

It's the opposite to Jet fans, everytime we lost it was b/c of herm but when we won it was b/c of the players. Herm sahres blame for losses and credit for wins. he wasn't a great coahc but he did a very good job here and is doing so in KC. He wasn't the GM here, the few bad signings we had(outside of white) were not high salary mistakes anyway. The guys they brought in for '02(Beasley, Garnes, Cowart) helped us win only our 2nd EVER AFC East Title.

Herm has not once taken responsibility for doing anything wrong in his entire coaching career..don't you find that extremely unusual??even HOF coaches admit they did something wrong.

By all means, set the record straight. Not to me, but to the "people" who may not know what actually happened. Pretend I'm not here. Talk to them. Enlighten them.

Tell them exactly "what actually happened".

You need more edcuation than most on this topic so pay attention and you might learn a thing or 2.

you're missing the point. if herm was right to bench huard after 11 td's and 1 int when green clearly wasn't 100% then he can't be right now to throw huard back in at halftime of a playoff game after not playing for 6 weeks. was he wrong then or is he wrong now about huard?

herm says the situation is different, essentially that you can sacrifice a game during the regular season for the long-term health of the program but that the playoffs are do or die. huh? what happened to "you play to win the game?"

I agree with you that Herm with this statement shows what an dumb ass he is, I still disagree with you that going with a healthy Green over Hurd even though Hurd played well for half a season was a dumb move. Clearly trying to have it both ways is pretty stupid. It basically tells both guys he has zero confidence in them.

Herm has not once taken responsibility for doing anything wrong in his entire coaching career..don't you find that extremely unusual??even HOF coaches admit they did something wrong.

on the same vein, i think it's hilarious how many people predicted that solari would be the first guy under the bus at KC. and there we go, after the first game and after running 3 straight times in the red zone on TWO occasions (including on a 3rd and 5 where LJ fumbled) and only coming away with 3 pts-- herm chucked solari under the wagon before the fans were out of the building blaming a "miscommunication" with a wink and a nod that everyone understood to be "solari f'd up."

It's the opposite to Jet fans, everytime we lost it was b/c of herm but when we won it was b/c of the players. Herm sahres blame for losses and credit for wins. he wasn't a great coahc but he did a very good job here and is doing so in KC. He wasn't the GM here, the few bad signings we had(outside of white) were not high salary mistakes anyway. The guys they brought in for '02(Beasley, Garnes, Cowart) helped us win only our 2nd EVER AFC East Title.

Garnes and Cowart sucked..are you kidding me??I used to get aggravated when we won with Herm..he always got the blame..even if we won..

I agree with you that Herm with this statement shows what an dumb ass he is, I still disagree with you that going with a healthy Green over Hurd even though Hurd played well for half a season was a dumb move. Clearly trying to have it both ways is pretty stupid. It basically tells both guys he has zero confidence in them.

it also shows that herm has no confidence in his own decisionmaking-- maybe he's not as dumb as we thought.

on the same vein, i think it's hilarious how many people predicted that solari would be the first guy under the bus at KC. and there we go, after the first game and after running 3 straight times in the red zone on TWO occasions (including on a 3rd and 5 where LJ fumbled) and only coming away with 3 pts-- herm chucked solari under the wagon before the fans were out of the building blaming a "miscommunication" with a wink and a nod that everyone understood to be "solari f'd up."

Exactly..and he made sure to air that out to the press first..to cover his ass..even Ray Charles could see through his bull**** screen.

No, no, no. You're not going to get away with your BS here. When you say "3 coaches quit in one year" you are talking about Parcells, Bellichek and Groh.

Parcells "quit" (actually he stepped down as HC and became GM) BEFORE Woody was actually the owner (when Woody became owner, yes he did retain Parcells as the GM). In fact, Parcells initially stayed on as GM as a courtesy to the Hess family, to provide some stability while they got their financial affairs in order. Bellichek quit, because he was uncomfortable with that arrangement. He wasn't sure if Woody was going to keep Parcells or not, either way he wasn't happy with it. He didn't want to be under Parcells thumb, and he didn't like the idea of a new GM coming in and replacing him with one of his guys. As for Groh, he was a desperation hire, he already had his sights set on Virginia.

Parcells quit and then suggested to Woody that he hire Bradway. Bradway got the job conditionally, based on accepting the NFL's handpicked minority candidate, Herman Edwards.

Moses, I seem to remember this guy as a JI or TGG Hermie who was one of the many making life tough for posters way back who had any negative Herm stuff to say.

Leopards dont change their spots I guess.

But all are welcome at JI regardless of their opinion. Hell I am welcomed here :P (I think)

:rl:

Hermophile is an easier name;) :P

You're right. I like that. :lol:

This is what they do, they see any criticism of Herm, and they attack you. Herm was, and is, the only HC who was hired from the NFL minority candidate program. A program that was put in place to throw Jesse Jackson a bone, and get him off their back. Tag's was given the order to find a team he could persuade to hire a coach out of the program. This is the only thing that would have satisfied Jackson.

Woody was a willing mark, because he figured it would help him politically in getting the WSS deal done.

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2269/NFL_levies_fine_over_Rooney_Rule

Moses, I seem to remember this guy as a JI or TGG Hermie who was one of the many making life tough for posters way back who had any negative Herm stuff to say.

Leopards dont change their spots I guess.

But all are welcome at JI regardless of their opinion. Hell I am welcomed here :P (I think)

nyjunc is TGG. Tinstar might be the guy you're thinking of. He went to JI.

NO ONE did want the Jets job! One of the other candidates, Dom Capers, pulled his name out after interviewing. opther candiattes included ted Cottrell, Maurice Carthon. if we had so much talent established, quality coaches would have been knocking dow our door.

BS.

Bradways last 3 interviews were Marvin Lewis (also pushed by Tags as minority candidate, but Marvin was a established DC), John Fox (established DC and wanted job badly, as Giant Dc he wouldnt have to move for Gods sake) and Herm (established as Monte Kiffins DB coach, never a DC). Bradway had a 66% chance of getting it right. Oh well, nice try Terry.

BUMP.

What happened to the Hermaphrodite? Must have run away just like Rajensen088, and all the others.

Run away? it was long post and took awhile to respond. he has SOME good points and some misinformed poitns. I corrected him on the misinformed points.

You're right. I like that. :lol:

This is what they do, they see any criticism of Herm, and they attack you. Herm was, and is, the only HC who was hired from the NFL minority candidate program. A program that was put in place to throw Jesse Jackson a bone, and get him off their back. Tag's was given the order to find a team he could persuade to hire a coach out of the program. This is the only thing that would have satisfied Jackson.

Woody was a willing mark, because he figured it would help him politically in getting the WSS deal done.

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2269/NFL_levies_fine_over_Rooney_Rule

here you go again posting nonsense, waht that link has to do w/ herm I haven't a clue but keep posting it and some people might think you are posting something relevant.

Archived