Can Leon Washington be our #1 RB?

ECURB

KEEP IN MIND THIS POST WAS FROM 2 YEARS AGO.

This is a serious question for the upcoming season....

Currently based on this season up unitll now, would you think he has what it takes?

If we go deep into the playoffs and he comes up big, does that get him the job?

Should we spend an early pick on a RB or stick with Washington/Houston...

I think Leon could be our guy, with a full offseason to learn more, gain strength...

I would rather see us draft a big run blocking pass catching FB... we also have other needs I think are mroe important now that LEON has stepped up.

Here are his stats

16(games played) - 8(games started) - 151(attempts) - 650(yards) - 4.3(ypc) - 23(long) - 4(TD) - 2(over 20 yards) - 33(first downs)

No.

I think he is a change of pace back. Get a new # 1 guy and split the workload. Houston can be the # 3 guy. Houston hasn't shown that he can stay healthy and the staff seems to not want to over work Leon.

Upgrade and keep Leon fresh. He will be a real threat that way.

No.

I think he is a change of pace back. Get a new # 1 guy and split the workload. Houston can be the # 3 guy. Houston hasn't shown that he can stay healthy and the staff seems to not want to over work Leon.

He reminds me of Dave Meggett (hopefully w/o the personal turmoil).

No.

Bingo

Houston can't even hit 4 yards per carry

Leon hit 4.3 on limited carries, but he's no Curtis Martin

He reminds me of Dave Meggett (hopefully w/o the personal turmoil).

Meggett seemed to have a more solid build to him. Leon is so fast I don't think he should try to add too much bulk. REally would be shocked if they ever count on him as a 20 carry a game back.

The Meggett comparison is good though. Leon could have a nice career if he were to be a Meggett clone.

I just don't see Leon being able to hit 350 carries in a season and still average 4 yards per carry

he's too small

solid part time RB

Warrick Dunn is 5'9 180 lbs, he has had 5, 1000yd seasons, a couple with over 5ypc and his career YPC is 4.2

Leon Washington is 5'8 202lbs

Leon is bigger than Warrick Dunn, do you think Warrick Dunn has been a capable starter? He has 3,362 yards in the last 3 seasons.... with the falcons

Warrick Dunn is 5'9 180 lbs, he has had 5, 1000yd seasons, a couple with over 5ypc and his career YPC is 4.2

Leon Washington is 5'8 202lbs

Leon is bigger than Warrick Dunn, do you think Warrick Dunn has been a capable starter? He has 3,362 yards in the last 3 seasons.... with the falcons

hey I like Leon alot. FSU product AND a Jet.

I'm just saying I personally don't see him being a #1 starter, the odds are against him.

hey I like Leon alot. FSU product AND a Jet.

I'm just saying I personally don't see him being a #1 starter, the odds are against him.

I know, just giving the other POV

I think he can be

Cmart was 5'11" 210lbs

Thats only a few lbs heavier than Leon and being shorter is actually a good thing for leon...

No.

He's more likely to be TOny Galbreath or Bruce Harper than Tiki Barber. Still, he can be very effective getting 15 touches a week.

Meggett seemed to have a more solid build to him. Leon is so fast I don't think he should try to add too much bulk. REally would be shocked if they ever count on him as a 20 carry a game back.

The Meggett comparison is good though. Leon could have a nice career if he were to be a Meggett clone.

I think Meggett was 5'7" 180ish... situational back. Leon's 'build' is similar in 5'8" 202.

22lbs heavier is not similar...

Thats a lot of muscle

Yeah, I guess you're right about that but my initial comment was a comparison to the way they are/were used.. and Meggett had a nice career. I wouldn't mind LW having a Meggett kind of career.

Yeah, I guess you're right about that but my initial comment was a comparison to the way they are/were used.. and Meggett had a nice career. I wouldn't mind LW having a Meggett kind of career.

That would be good, I just think he is capable of being our #1 RB for years. He seems to have that same drive that Curtis had, and he is more "nimble"... I cant wait to see him play tommorow... and how much better he gets next year...

That would be good, I just think he is capable of being our #1 RB for years. He seems to have that same drive that Curtis had, and he is more "nimble"... I cant wait to see him play tommorow... and how much better he gets next year...

same here....he has gotten a lot better since week one next year will be interesting.

Yeah good example, Westbrook is 5'8" 203lbs... so he is the same size as westbrook

I love Westbrook as a player, but he's in that role because the Iggles don't have anyone else that's a feauture back.Buckhalter and him make an okay tandem, though Westbrook is way superior. WOulnd't shock me if they look to draft or sign another back to take up some load and drop Buckhalter to either a lesser roles or drop him.

I love Westbrook as a player, but he's in that role because the Iggles don't have anyone else that's a feauture back.Buckhalter and him make an okay tandem, though Westbrook is way superior. WOulnd't shock me if they look to draft or sign another back to take up some load and drop Buckhalter to either a lesser roles or drop him.

Westbrook was awesome this year, he played hurt a lot and missed a couple games... still got 1000yds and had 5.1 YPC

Currently based on this season up unitll now, would you think he has what it takes?

I think Leon could be our guy, with a full offseason to learn more, gain strength...

I would rather see us draft a big run blocking pass catching FB... we also have other needs I think are mroe important now that LEON has stepped up.

Here are his stats

16(games played) - 8(games started) - 151(attempts) - 650(yards) - 4.3(ypc) - 23(long) - 4(TD) - 2(over 20 yards) - 33(first downs)

no way...a runningback? we need a friggen DT, or a RT.

Mangini seems more interested in filling "obivous" needs, not going with a glamour pick of a RB.

obvious needs.

kimo sucks

clement is not much better.

No friggen way. Leon is not a starting back, never ever.

RB is our #1 need. We need to get a real #1 back in the draft, (not michael bush)

I'd love to get APeterson, but Marshawn Lynch seems like a more realistic possibility, and he's very good too.

How do you know that? He is the same size as curtis, more explosive, blocks well... works hard ect ect ect

What Leon Washington is the same size as Curtis Martin? Its not even close.

And Curtis was all grit and determination, he was never a talented back, but he got the most out of his ability.

Leon is a 3rd down back, it couldnt be any more obvious.

Maybe. I'll give reasoning for both sides though.

Yes - he has shown that when he gets more carries he is still very productive, and at times it seems like he gets better with the more carries he gets during the game. He is elusive and has shown adequate power. Also, he has not encountered an injury thus far in the season. With the tutoring of Curtis, he could become a very well-rounded back, thus becoming a legit #1

No - His size does not translate well for being a true #1 back. He seems that he will be most successful if he has a bigger, more North-South runner to take some of the bruising and gain the "tough" yards. He hasn't shown that he can take the beating of 20-25+ carries per game in back to back weeks throughout the entire season

My Analysis - There have only been a handful of truly successful #1 "small backs" in the NFL recently. I do not want to draft a RB in the upcoming draft. I would like to see us use Leon & Cedric for next year and see how that works out again. If it is unsuccessful then we need to draft a back in the 2008 Draft (I would love Ray Rice if he declares, or Darius Walker). However, if Leon shows that he can take the beating, give him the starting nod. Personally, i think his career will eventually end up as a 3rd down back & change of pace.

Maybe. I'll give reasoning for both sides though.

Yes - he has shown that when he gets more carries he is still very productive, and at times it seems like he gets better with the more carries he gets during the game. He is elusive and has shown adequate power. Also, he has not encountered an injury thus far in the season. With the tutoring of Curtis, he could become a very well-rounded back, thus becoming a legit #1

No - His size does not translate well for being a true #1 back. He seems that he will be most successful if he has a bigger, more North-South runner to take some of the bruising and gain the "tough" yards. He hasn't shown that he can take the beating of 20-25+ carries per game in back to back weeks throughout the entire season

My Analysis - There have only been a handful of truly successful #1 "small backs" in the NFL recently. I do not want to draft a RB in the upcoming draft. I would like to see us use Leon & Cedric for next year and see how that works out again. If it is unsuccessful then we need to draft a back in the 2008 Draft (I would love Ray Rice if he declares, or Darius Walker). However, if Leon shows that he can take the beating, give him the starting nod. Personally, i think his career will eventually end up as a 3rd down back & change of pace.

I think both would be a small step down, but they are comparable to Dunn, and Duckett. They worked pretty well, and no one here would have ever thought Dunn would have been as good as he is. Same school as LW too.

Leon absolutely CAN be our #1 back. Mangini doesn't seem to give a crap about fantasy football points. And this "optimal size" crap is overblown. A player either has it or he doesn't, and being between 5'10-5'11 and 220 +/-5 lbs is nice but not necessary.

No amount of superbowl winners without a RB with this "ideal" size seems to affect peoples' ideas of "need" at the position.

So if I understand this correctly, if Leon - who has never been through an NFL weight/conditioning program yet - weighed 7 lbs more then he'd be ok for a #1 RB? 7 lbs is going to be the difference vs 300+ lb DT's? How silly is that?

Or does height make someone a dangerous/reliable runner?

I think he can be a starter in the NFL because of his running style. Sometimes people forget that the cutting/slashing type of runners don't take as many big hits as the bigger north/south runners because they're always moving and often being hit at an angle. That's how I personally viewed Barry Sanders and Warrick Dunn. Small guys who can be brought down, but they're tough to lay in to for a tackler. It's been done before and from what I've seen of Leon, there's no reason to think he can't do it as well.

such a good question.Just for today,forget next year,can he be our back.

The thing is,elementary football knowledge tells us that he is a "change of pace" or "third down back" comparing him to guys like meggett and travis minor,but I'm saying if 30% of the time he touches the ball he makes a big play,why only give it to him 10-12 times a day,why not 20-25?

Is he not as durable as a guy with 20 more lbs.?I think he's tougher,having climbed the ranks at that size.

He's exactly the same size as Barry Sanders,exactly.I don't remember calling Sanders a "third down" back.

He's never been hurt so we have no evidence to show otherwise.

Why are we writing him off?Why can't he be our Warrick Dunn or Barry Sanders?

On the other hand,it's tough to make a road playoff game experimental,but we still haven't seen what Houston can do,really.

I think spliting time IS our best bet,if they are both effective,unlike Barlow/Washington in Miami.

I would try Houston first,with Leon in his traditional "change of pace" role,but if Houston is not effective after a couple drives,I go exclusively to Washington and see what's up.Put the ball in his hands and something good will happen,it's just a numbers game.

Leon absolutely CAN be our #1 back. Mangini doesn't seem to give a crap about fantasy football points. And this "optimal size" crap is overblown. A player either has it or he doesn't, and being between 5'10-5'11 and 220 +/-5 lbs is nice but not necessary.

No amount of superbowl winners without a RB with this "ideal" size seems to affect peoples' ideas of "need" at the position.

So if I understand this correctly, if Leon - who has never been through an NFL weight/conditioning program yet - weighed 7 lbs more then he'd be ok for a #1 RB? 7 lbs is going to be the difference vs 300+ lb DT's? How silly is that?

Or does height make someone a dangerous/reliable runner?

THANK YOU!!!! someone with rationale? never thought i'd see that here.

Barlow and Blaylock are scrubs and on their way out.

Houston blows. You guys overrate him like crazy.

Leon Washington can be a full-time back. He really impressed me in the Miami game. However, if you make Washington the starter at RB we have to upgrade at Fullback and get some offensive linemen that can run-block.

Make Washington the starter but draft this guy in the second round:

9dw2o9r4.jpg

Barlow and Blaylock are scrubs and on their way out.

Houston blows. You guys overrate him like crazy.

Leon Washington can be a full-time back. He really impressed me in the Miami game. However, if you make Washington the starter at RB we have to upgrade at Fullback and get some offensive linemen that can run-block.

Make Washington the starter but draft this guy in the second round:

9dw2o9r4.jpg

Man, if only we had drafted LenDale White instead of Nick Mangold like you wanted us to, we wouldn't have this problem.

Archived