SD RB Michael Turner Thread { Merged 8X }

Clemens&theJets

How does that logic work? He has proved more than any of the backs we could draft in the 1st round.... just earning playing time behind LT is an accomplishment in itself...

Turner is like drafting a RB but knowing what he can do... I mean c'mon our OC was a coach on that team... if he is worth it Im sure he will be a NYJ.

The logic works pretty easily. Just because there may not be any great RB for us to pick in the first round hardly means it is worth giving up a 1st-round pick for a back that's never had more than 80 carries in a season. That is equal to 5 carries a game, and he has also started all of 1 whole game in his career. There isn't really that much of a difference between him and just drafting somebody because while he does have some experience in the NFL, it's hardly enough to prove that he can be a carry the load back that will be productive for a whole season.

So it's more like drafting a running back knowing what he can do with an even lighter workload than Lamont Jordan when he was on the Jets. This is just not a smart move.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael Turner was a 5th round pick, i hardly believe we will have to give up

a 1st rd pick for a guy who have never started a game

If we make a huge salary offer, Bolts will not match .. they have LT

no need to pay Turner big bucks

We'd still be giving up the 1st round pick because they WILL slap the 1st round tender on him.

I would rather go after a urfa at rb or draft one. Turner is going to turn into a bust just like Jolley and J-mac. Although J-mac has done better then Jolley. We will regret this if we do it and I want to go on record as being the first person to say it. If we do get him and he turns out to be the next walter payton, then fine I will eat crow. But, I 'm telling you guys this is a trade I want to stay away from. If they would take our 2nd second round pick or third then fine, but not our first two picks.

Okay, so you don't want Turner, a running back, because you are gun shy after the failed acquisitions of Justin McCareins, a wide receiver, and Doug Jolley, a tight end.

Yet, you want Michael Bush, despite seeing the complete failure of Eric Shelton, who put up nearly the exact same numbers in college, is the exact same size, and played in the exact same system for the exact same college team.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I do not believe they can slap a 1st rd tender on him

They absolutely will. The alternative is to tender him for a 5th-round pick. Net savings to SD (if they keep him for another year) = $700K.

Are they going to be $700K shy of bringing a winner to SD? No. And so it's not worth letting your big, fast, bruiser backup RB go for nothing. Not when you're assured of being a contender as long as you've got RB's.

There is at least a 99% chance that SD, with their 10's of millions of cap space, will tender him for at least a first-round pick. If they think the demand for Turner's services is going to be really high, they may even tender him for a 1st & a 3rd (only costs them another $500K on the cap if no one grabs him away from them).

If we trade for Turner, it's because Brian Schott has seen enough to know what he's getting.

Truth is, no one even knows whether or not Marshawn Lynch - if he miraculously fell to our spot - would be a successful pro. At least Schott's seen this guy in practice & games vs NFL talent. And in practice he saw him going up against one bitch of a run-defense.

If we get him, I'd be fine with it since it's an educated purchase. This isn't like Hermway saying "ooh - he had a good game against us once. I'm sure he'll do that on a weekly basis if we get him. Let's trade our 2nd rounder for him."

They absolutely will. The alternative is to tender him for a 5th-round pick. Net savings to SD (if they keep him for another year) = $700K.

Are they going to be $700K shy of bringing a winner to SD? No. And so it's not worth letting your big, fast, bruiser backup RB go for nothing. Not when you're assured of being a contender as long as you've got RB's.

There is at least a 99% chance that SD, with their 10's of millions of cap space, will tender him for at least a first-round pick. If they think the demand for Turner's services is going to be really high, they may even tender him for a 1st & a 3rd (only costs them another $500K on the cap if no one grabs him away from them).

LT is still very young and i believe chargers will draft another RB, I believe

the draft is loaded with RBS this year. Just cannot see it, turner may be

another Jordan. You could probably get this guy for a 2nd or 3rd rd pick IMO.

Most of us overrated the talent of Lamont Jordan, he has done Nada in Oak.

LT is still very young and i believe chargers will draft another RB, I believe

the draft is loaded with RBS this year. Just cannot see it, turner may be

another Jordan. You could probably get this guy for a 2nd or 3rd rd pick IMO.

Most of us overrated the talent of Lamont Jordan, he has done Nada in Oak.

Randy Moss has done nada in Oakland also. Is he talentless?

I would rather go after a urfa at rb or draft one.

URFA - name one we should get... i dont think there are any franchise backs that are up for grabs....

Draft one.... So you are worried that the RB we all have seen play, who managed to steal almost 100 carries away from LT this year, has speed and power, Our OC used to coach him.... You think he is a bust but what the heck lets draft one and hope for the best...

Randy Moss has done nada in Oakland also. Is he talentless?

Moss is no where near the talent he used to be.

I think he is more interested in his juice business these days.

LT is the best player in NFL by a longshoot, i cannot see Chargers opening up

thier wallets for a backup player where you can easily replace a RB via draft.

I truly believe a 2nd rounder will get him.

Amen Vilma, ecurb I got one word for you. J-mac.

:roll: right lets never chase a potentially great player again becuase of the **** Herm did... makes a lot of sense... it will get us realllly far...

What do you suggest we do?

Draft a RB? - They will be even less proven than Turner and have ZERO NFL experience

(Turner had a 138 yard game this year, with LT playing by the way...)

We need a RB, he is our best shot at a "game changer" and if he runs like he does in SD... we would have a SICK combo with him and Leon... you cant pass this up... it would be too Hermish

ecurb, i'm feeling ya, i just think that giving up our first round pick for turner is a wasted pick. this draft is another deep one for the rb position.

Turner runs like an animal in SD, there is no reason to think he would stop when handed the starting roll... he also would get breaks when LEON comes in on 3rd downs ect....

I really think we cant pass up the Chance at a 5'10" 235lb RB who has proven he can be good in the NFL when given a chance...

Sure the draft might work out, but look at it this way... if Michael Turner was in the draft this year, would you spend our #1 pick on him? Its not like he has been overworked in SD, he will be just as fresh as a rookie but with NFL experience.

Turner runs like an animal in SD, there is no reason to think he would stop when handed the starting roll... he also would get breaks when LEON comes in on 3rd downs ect....

I really think we cant pass up the Chance at a 5'10" 235lb RB who has proven he can be good in the NFL when given a chance...

Sure the draft might work out, but look at it this way... if Michael Turner was in the draft this year, would you spend our #1 pick on him? Its not like he has been overworked in SD, he will be just as fresh as a rookie but with NFL experience.

Holy crap. I agree with ecurb 100%.

Moss is no where near the talent he used to be.

I think he is more interested in his juice business these days.

LT is the best player in NFL by a longshoot, i cannot see Chargers opening up

thier wallets for a backup player where you can easily replace a RB via draft.

I truly believe a 2nd rounder will get him.

Whether or not a 2nd rounder gets him is not an option. The Chargers cannot tender him for a 2nd round pick. The choices are:

1st + a 3rd ($2M tender)

1st ($1.5M tender)

5th (~$800K tender) (where the player was drafted)

There isn't a middle-ground tender between a first-round tender & where the player was originally drafted.

Therefore they will give him the $1.5M tender. They may eventually take less, but they are not required to (like with us & the Titans over JMac).

lol, spermy don't encourage ecurb like that. I see your point of view, I just don't agree with it. Turner has never carried the load and to use a first round pick on him is a huge risk. Especially the luck that we have had trading our picks on players in the past.

Fair enough. This crap is all speculation. The draft, even a first-rounder, is speculation. Also, I speculate that if we are willing to give up a first-rounder for Turner it's because our OC feels he's worth it. And I speculate that since BS got to see both the best RB in the league & Derrick Blaylock up close, I'd speculate he knows the difference.

But sure - he could be a bust. He could be injured 50% of the time. Just like I could suddenly become a Chadophile.

I just like the guy b/c I've seen him play. Not because of his stats (though they are impressive). He looks like he's being shot out of a cannon whenever he touches the ball. And it takes more than 1 guy to bring him down. Frequently more than 2.

All we know about Michael Turner is exactly all the Raiders knew about Lamont Jordan. No way do I give a #1 pick for the guy.

you know I wonder what Jordan could have become had he stayed in NY with his mentor still around-even hurt.Curtis was a great teacher for Lamont...we'll never know

All I know is we NEED a RB who can run with power and speed-every other team in the division has better RB's than us

Whether or not a 2nd rounder gets him is not an option. The Chargers cannot tender him for a 2nd round pick. The choices are:

1st + a 3rd ($2M tender)

1st ($1.5M tender)

5th (~$800K tender) (where the player was drafted)

There isn't a middle-ground tender between a first-round tender & where the player was originally drafted.

Therefore they will give him the $1.5M tender. They may eventually take less, but they are not required to (like with us & the Titans over JMac).

they will probably tender him 2m don't you think? everyone has a lot of cap room now.

you know I wonder what Jordan could have become had he stayed in NY with his mentor still around-even hurt.Curtis was a great teacher for Lamont...we'll never know

All I know is we NEED a RB who can run with power and speed-every other team in the division has better RB's than us

Who would you rather have if it was at all possible, Jordan or Turner?

Archived