Archie: Eli will be fiery

nj meadowlands

Anybody see the irony in this?

Archie: Eli will be fiery

Friday, January 12, 2007

By IAN O'CONNOR

STAFF WRITER

Archie Manning is no Great Santini. He will not be spending the off-season bouncing footballs off his son's forehead to convince him to become a more vocal leader of the Giants.

But the former Saints quarterback moved to allay the fears of Giants executives, coaches and fans Thursday when he predicted that Eli -- forever criticized for poor body language and impassive play -- will do a better job next season imposing his will on his team.

on error resume nextprplgin=(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))

"Eli will never be like Jim McMahon, but I think he will take a step forward in that regard next year," Archie said by phone. "He's a quiet kid, but I saw him do this at Ole Miss. By his senior year, he was more assertive. I'm not going to have a three-hour conversation with Eli telling him to change this and change that, but I'm very confident he's going to make that part of his work in the off-season."

Archie takes great pride in not being a stage dad, in not meddling with his sons' football careers. He won't press Eli this winter and spring on the adjustments he plans to make. He'll only offer advice if Eli requests it first.

In fact, Archie won't even be the first Manning consulted on Eli's potential audibles. "If Eli needs someone in the family to lean on in the off-season," Archie said, "it will be Peyton. Peyton will be the one to work with him."

Will that work pay off? Will Eli honor his standing as a past No. 1 overall draft pick and current franchise quarterback-to-be?

Will he throw the ball accurately enough in 2007 to save Tom Coughlin's job?

"I haven't heard Eli make any excuses," Archie said, "and I'm not going to make any for him. Obviously he's disappointed in his inconsistent play and he wants to fix it. Maybe a lot of Giants fans don't see it, but he works very hard and he did get better. It just didn't always show up."

Eli has little idea of "how badly he's getting beaten up" for his perceived lack of fire, his father said, because he avoids the negative reinforcement found every day in his morning paper. Archie was made aware that Michael Strahan joined the chorus calling for Eli to be more vocal next season -- "to let everybody know that he's running this thing" -- on his weekly WFAN radio spot.

Strahan said Ben Roethlisberger told him that he'd blasted a receiver who had thrown up his hands in disgust when the ball wasn't thrown his way. With Plaxico Burress and Jeremy Shockey guilty of showing up their quarterback at times, Strahan called for Manning to "be more of a vocal guy than he has [been] in the past."

"I think Eli will take steps there," Archie said, "just like at Ole Miss. He's not going to be hollering and screaming on the sidelines, but I think Eli's got a certain fire about him that the fans and media might not see. His offensive linemen have told me he's a good leader; maybe he doesn't speak out as much with the rest of the team.

"Eli doesn't wear it on his sleeve during games, and maybe he should. But I don't go there as his father. All I know is the off-season will give him a chance to work on that. He loves playing for the Giants, and he's going to work very hard to be a better quarterback in every way."

Archie says that he:

1. Won't bring this up to his son about this

2. Will guarantee that his son's behavior will change

Did he steall Smizzy's magic 8 ball? Seems like he is sending his son a message through the media. We all know Archie is not one to meddle. :baby:

Dear Mr. Manning,

Your #2 son is a bust. Of the big 3 QBs drafted in 2004, one has a ring, and the other went deeper into the playoffs this year than your "wince before I get hit" son.

signed,

Joe the average fan

ps. if your #1 son doesn't win Sunday, he will also be a bust.

Dear Mr. Manning,

Your #2 son is a bust. Of the big 3 QBs drafted in 2004, one has a ring, and the other went deeper into the playoffs this year than your "wince before I get hit" son.

signed,

Joe the average fan

ps. if your #1 son doesn't win Sunday, he will also be a bust.

Peyton "Don't Touch Me!" Manning will see little brother Eli in hell.

Archived