Early Breakdown of the JETS 2007 Matchups...

ECURB

I didnt say that, they are claiming Chad has ZERO chance of winning it all... why even bother with him??? Thats why the whole "chad cant win the big one" is a load of BS.

Chad was Mangini's best bet for a young rookie coach. If Mangini had previous credibility, he could have gotten away with tanking a season to see if Kellen could be a decent QB. Mangini needed to win some games. Sadly, Chad was his best bet.

Mangini is only as faithful as his options. When he is presented with a better choice, Chad is as good as gone.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad was Mangini's best bet for a young rookie coach. If Mangini had previous credibility, he could have gotten away with tanking a season to see if Kellen could be a decent QB. Mangini needed to win some games. Sadly, Chad was his best bet.

Mangini is only as faithful as his options. When he is presented with a better choice, Chad is as good as gone.

There were better QB's than Ramsey that could have been had... he didnt becuase he trusted Chad to win... not just easy games... that would be stupid to think Mangini actually planned on losing in the playoffs.

There were better QB's than Ramsey that could have been had... he didnt becuase he trusted Chad to win... not just easy games... that would be stupid to think Mangini actually planned on losing in the playoffs.

Who?

Last year, Drew Brees was the best availale, but as I said he was also coming off a shoulder injury. I am sure Mangini could have traded for one, but he need as many picks as he could possible have to rebuild the team.

He could have drafted one of the three top QBs, but would be without a LT.

Chad was the lesser of all evils.

Who?

Last year, Drew Brees was the best availale, but as I said he was also coming off a shoulder injury. I am sure Mangini could have traded for one, but he need as many picks as he could possible have to rebuild the team.

He could have drafted one of the three top QBs, but would be without a LT.

Chad was the lesser of all evils.

All Im saying is that it is crazy for a fan to just assume that they are all knowing and know that he 100% cannot win a superbowl...

All Im saying is that it is crazy for a fan to just assume that they are all knowing and know that he 100% cannot win a superbowl...

Right back at ya Bruce.

At the very least, his body of work supports my belief.

Can you say the same?

They could have cut him loose and picked up a number of VETS that cannot win superbowls while not paying a large contract... instead they kept him and his contract because they obviously feel he is worth it...

If this BS about him not being able to win was actually true, they would not want to keep him and his salary around while only teaching Kellen Clemens how to lose.

Chad's salary is incentive ladden deal. If he were to get hurt early on in the season he would see at most $2 million.

He can teach Kellen Clemens accuracy and smarts, what holds PennyBoyWonder back is being TOO smart (if you can think of that) and too conservative at times and not having an arm.

The coaching staff did not feel like throwing out a rookie, Chad was the best and cheapest option after he restructued his deal. If we take Leinart or Cutler at 4, we have no Left Tackle, as PKSIKH stated in earlier posts. This season is yet to be seen if they will stick with Chad the entire way, heck, if he can even stay healthy the entire season.

Look who's talking.

Myself and others saying Chad isnt good enough to win a superbowl is being just as "all knowing" as you stating 100% that Chad will win won, which you have said.

At the very least, his body of work supports my belief.

Can you say the same?

=; =;

for those of you down on pennington it might be worth giving him the benefit of the doubt. here's why:

first, outside of the 2002 season pennington has either been injured or recovering from injury. even last season cp spent his offseason rehabbing rather than following the normal strength and conditioning program of a quarterback. (besides the fact that cp's rotator cuff injury was unprecedented in football and recovery (and recovery time) was unpredictable. in fact it was reported at the time that such injuries to pitchers in baseball for example could take up to 2 years to recover from.) with this said i would look for cp to be stronger this season both from offseason conditioning and from the recovery process. (personally i thought cp looked tired at the end of last year)

second, cp and his supporting cast learned a whole new offensive system last year. a complicated system. everyone has acknowledged how difficult and challenging that was. it would be unfair to have expected more than an adequate offensive performance last year (the same is true of the defense btw). cp is a good leader. schottenheimer is a good coach. and the players have all bought in and are very teachable. i would look for the offense under cp to perform better this coming season. maybe even much better. there's a lot to be said for continuity.

third, cp was hampered by a pretty dismal running game last season that was even trying to find itself for most of it. the addition of thomas jones should help cp and the offense be more productive and more balanced. i would also expect leon washington to be more effective this season coming off his rookie season and playing the role of a change of pace back.

and lastly, all of the intangibles that cp brings to the game like his football intelligence, his ability to read defenses, to audible at the line, run the no huddle, his awareness of gametime situations, leadership, work ethic, etc., will only be magnified not diminished with the continuity and progress of the offense this coming season.

all in all my point is that we don't really have a complete body of work from cp to judge how good he really is or will be. going into this coming season i believe he has a lot of upside and as i said above it would only be fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.:thumbup:

The bottom-bottomline: I could see the Jets winning 10 games, but think they will be a few games below that. I think 8-8 or 7-9 is about right. They caught alot of teams by surprise last year. They will not get the same benefit this year. If you said after Mangini took over that the Jets will win 7-10 games in 2007, I think a majority would be happy with that. Be happy.
:blowup:

I'd be interested to know which teams the jets caught by surprise last year.

and you dont have to patronize jets fans with your bs of being happy with winning 7-10 games in 2007.

and i wouldn't be surprised if the gap between the pats and the jets is closer than u think.

and you dont have to patronize jets fans with your bs of being happy with winning 7-10 games in 2007.

and i wouldn't be surprised if the gap between the pats and the jets is closer than u think.

The Jets offense in 2006 took every opponent by surprise. They had more smokes and mirrors than any offense you could imagine. It didnt hurt that they had an easy schedule either.

In 2007, the Jets offense will have been broken down on tape in the offseason by coaches and D-coordinators, and the element of surprise which was so key to our success in 2006, will be long gone. Sure there will still be some gadget plays that will work, but the whole system will not be as foreign and hard to adjust to for opposing defenses as it was in 2006.

We will have a MUCH TOUGHER schedule in 2006. We will be facing numerous winning teams, .500 teams, playoff teams and division winners from 2006. History has shown the Jets under Chad Pennington do not beat winning teams, that is a fact as evidenced by his 7-16 record vs winning teams.

The Jets will go 8-8 at best in 2007, and it will actually be an IMPROVEMENT over what we had in 2006, only it will not reflect in the record.

The same fans that are so giddy about Mangini and shooting for another playoff appearance will be the ones questioning this team a year from now after they go 7-9 or 8-8. These people will be down on the Jets.....

But the fans who have said since the 2006 season ended that the Jets will go 7-9 or 8-8 in 2007 will be the happy fans who will be looking forward to the future of this team while the others will be singing same ol' jets and bashing our coaching staff.

Teams that lack franchise QBs are not consistent winners. The Jets lack a franchise QB.

:yawn:

i couldn't disagree with you more. after the first few games the Jets took no one by surprise. and even that's debatable since its hard to find an early game where defenses struggled against them because they didn't know what they were doing. the key to offense is playcalling and execution, both of which stand to be better the second year in the system.

:yawn:

first of all i'm not convinced how much tougher the schedule will be. even now i'm not sure how many teams i would say are outright better than the Jets, let alone by the time the season starts. what i can say is that mangini has laid a strong foundation, has changed the culture and has been aggressive in his approach to improve the team. he inspires confidence in continuing to build a winning program. i also dont think you have to have the most talented players to be a winning team as new england has shown repeatedly.

=;

this line of reasoning is really foolish. we'll just call you the happy pessimist.:)

i've made other posts about pennington where i've basically said give him the benefit of the doubt. i personally think he is one of the best quarterbacks in the league today and the Jets will go all the way with him, but let's see how he does this coming season. if my hunch is right i think he'll have a breakout year. :thumbup:

J-E-T-S!!!:penguin:

Patriots for one.

Coming off the 4-12 season in 2005. You mean to tell me that if I said in Year 2 of the Mangini regime the Jets would win between 7-10 games, you would be upset? :confused:

You know you would pee all of yourself in excitement. You had the youngest or one of the youngest HC in the league who had a whole year of coordinator experience and no previous HC experience. Your QB was coming off of two shoulder injuries and your HofF back was a question mark.

Sorry to burst your bubble. The gap is bigger.

The "Gap" isn't formed until they start playing some games. Brady goes down and the pats stink. The jets could "overachieve" again or the any given sunday factor can kick in and the jets could get the series sweep.

The "Gap" isn't formed until they start playing some games. Brady goes down and the pats stink. The jets could "overachieve" again or the any given sunday factor can kick in and the jets could get the series sweep.

True.

Two games separated the teams last season. In the playoffs, one team was clearly better then the other.

Both teams have acquired pieces they needed. The Patriots have also added pieces to address the issues they had at receiver.

With the draft a few weeks away, I do not think it is outlandish to say the Patriots are a little better.

Once, the draft happens and then camp, we can make a better decision. However, at this time, I have yet to see a reason from a Hets' fan as to why the gap has closed even an inch.

=; =;

for those of you down on pennington it might be worth giving him the benefit of the doubt. here's why:

first, outside of the 2002 season pennington has either been injured or recovering from injury. even last season cp spent his offseason rehabbing rather than following the normal strength and conditioning program of a quarterback. (besides the fact that cp's rotator cuff injury was unprecedented in football and recovery (and recovery time) was unpredictable. in fact it was reported at the time that such injuries to pitchers in baseball for example could take up to 2 years to recover from.) with this said i would look for cp to be stronger this season both from offseason conditioning and from the recovery process. (personally i thought cp looked tired at the end of last year)

second, cp and his supporting cast learned a whole new offensive system last year. a complicated system. everyone has acknowledged how difficult and challenging that was. it would be unfair to have expected more than an adequate offensive performance last year (the same is true of the defense btw). cp is a good leader. schottenheimer is a good coach. and the players have all bought in and are very teachable. i would look for the offense under cp to perform better this coming season. maybe even much better. there's a lot to be said for continuity.

third, cp was hampered by a pretty dismal running game last season that was even trying to find itself for most of it. the addition of thomas jones should help cp and the offense be more productive and more balanced. i would also expect leon washington to be more effective this season coming off his rookie season and playing the role of a change of pace back.

and lastly, all of the intangibles that cp brings to the game like his football intelligence, his ability to read defenses, to audible at the line, run the no huddle, his awareness of gametime situations, leadership, work ethic, etc., will only be magnified not diminished with the continuity and progress of the offense this coming season.

all in all my point is that we don't really have a complete body of work from cp to judge how good he really is or will be. going into this coming season i believe he has a lot of upside and as i said above it would only be fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.:thumbup:

Welcome to the board. ;)

True.

Two games separated the teams last season. In the playoffs, one team was clearly better then the other.

Both teams have acquired pieces they needed. The Patriots have also added pieces to address the issues they had at receiver.

With the draft a few weeks away, I do not think it is outlandish to say the Patriots are a little better.

Once, the draft happens and then camp, we can make a better decision. However, at this time, I have yet to see a reason from a Hets' fan as to why the gap has closed even an inch.

I agree that the Pats were the better team last year and that both teams have made improvements in the off-season so far. If the season started today I'd say Pats win the afce, but there is still the draft and training camp and the preseason. Just because a team improved on paper doesn't mean the guys will work out during the season. Thomas really could be a product of his environment (I'm not saying he is, just that it is possible) I think that both teams have made improvements and if both teams have a good draft they both have a good shot at making the playoffs, the pats being the higher seed of course.

The coaching staff did not feel like throwing out a rookie, Chad was the best and cheapest option after he restructued his deal. If we take Leinart or Cutler at 4, we have no Left Tackle, as PKSIKH stated in earlier posts. This season is yet to be seen if they will stick with Chad the entire way, heck, if he can even stay healthy the entire season.

Cutler and MCneil, they didnt know Teague would get hurt and he is a good Center.

Mcneil/Teague/Cutler

I agree that the Pats were the better team last year and that both teams have made improvements in the off-season so far. If the season started today I'd say Pats win the afce, but there is still the draft and training camp and the preseason. Just because a team improved on paper doesn't mean the guys will work out during the season. Thomas really could be a product of his environment (I'm not saying he is, just that it is possible) I think that both teams have made improvements and if both teams have a good draft they both have a good shot at making the playoffs, the pats being the higher seed of course.

I think both teams are going to have trouble matching last year's record. Both teans benefitted from a weak schedule.

Let's see what happens when we both play a big boy schedule.

I think both teams are going to have trouble matching last year's record. Both teans benefitted from a weak schedule.

Let's see what happens when we both play a big boy schedule.

I think 10-6 wins the division this season... obviously you know who I think will win it so lets stick to the #'s :)

I think 10-6 wins the division this season... obviously you know who I think will win it so lets stick to the #'s :)

Even the biggest homer on the Jets' board know it is the Patriots title. ;)

Even the biggest homer on the Jets' board know it is the Patriots title. ;)

As my girlfriend would say.... "that was cute, nice try at a joke... :) "

I think it should be a fun year in 07' most likely coming down to the last few games... wouldnt it be sweet if the last game of the season was Pats vs JETS for the AFCE title?

As my girlfriend would say.... "that was cute, nice try at a joke... :) "

I think it should be a fun year in 07' most likely coming down to the last few games... wouldnt it be sweet if the last game of the season was Pats vs JETS for the AFCE title?

No. It would mean something has gone terribly wrong with the Patriots. ;)

No. It would mean something has gone terribly wrong with the Patriots. ;)

Yeah I guess I would like to run away with the division... but still nothing would be better for football fans and the NFL as a whole to have the Pats/Jets rivalry become even more heated over the next decade... obviously the Jets/Phins rivalry is dead for a few years... :lol:

You need some Windex for your crystal ball my friend! :lol:

Are you serious ?

They added a defensive player who can play any position on defense, not to mention they still have Brady. They added a true WR and they have a great coach. I hate the Pats more then anyone, but seeing them win 12 games won't be a suprise.

Are you serious ?

They added a defensive player who can play any position on defense, not to mention they still have Brady. They added a true WR and they have a great coach. I hate the Pats more then anyone, but seeing them win 12 games won't be a suprise.

Wes Welker... that is not a "true WR"

Thomas might turn out to be a good pickup... but their front 7 were already really good, it doesnt really improve them much as a whole...

Maybe he meant Stallworth.

Slightly better if he stays healthy... but he has never had 1000 yards and never started all 16 games in his career... they dont have a #1 guy... just a bunch of #2's and #3's

Slightly better if he stays healthy... but he has never had 1000 yards and never started all 16 games in his career... they dont have a #1 guy... just a bunch of #2's and #3's

You hit the nail on the head with the first one.

Stallworth has more talent, but Welker was a greater need. Patriots have not had a great deep threat outside of David Patten during Brady's career. Stallworth is a bonus. Now, the thing that was missing last season with the loss of Deoin and continued aging of Troy was a viable slot threat. That is playing to Welker's strength. Welker is a great fit to the Patriots offense.

There is a reason he was signed to a three year contract and Stallworth is on a year trial. Welker fills the greater need.

I agree that Stallworth is a little overrated but he is an upgrade over the crap wr corps they had before.

*** Updated 2/5/07 *** Updates in bold.

Hey everyone, Im typing this from Kinkos becuase my internet isnt working!!! :rl:

So I was getting a little tired of the broad statements that we would have a hard time doing well next year becuase of the teams we play... so much can change in an offseason/season and teams that were thought to be sure fire playoff teams (Bengals, Broncos) come up short... and teams that werent supposed to do well (Jets) go 10-6...

So lets take a closer look and try to see if we can figure out exactly why some people actually think we will take a step back...

2007 Schedule

Home:

Cleveland - Sure we blew this game in 06' but do you really see Mangini letting this one get away again?

Pittsburgh - The Steelers are a shell of their superbowl team now, with a new coach they should be a very beatable team.

Philadelphia - Who is the QB in Philly? Will Mcnabb even be 100% when we play them? They are not the dominating Philly team of a few years ago, Mcnabb is getting older and hurt more often, their RB is good but small, and Stallworth might be gone. OK so I now know Mcnabb is the QB, will he be healthy? This will be a tough game, but a winnable home game for us.

Washington - This game should be won... Dyson can handle Santana Moss.. and it doesnt really matter becuase they have nobody to throw him the ball... Lets see what they have left after trying to fix their salary cap mess this offseason.

Kansas City - Herm will have them at 7-9 next year, no worries here. 7-9 might have been a bit nice... 6-10 might be a better fit... lets not end up being one of the 6 losers that fall to Herm...

New England - Tough to say, right now obviously we know we can beat them... we did. But they still had the upperhand on us and they have a lot of cap space and draft picks too.... We should be able to go 1-1 again against the Pats...

Buffalo - JP Losman and Mcgahee seem to do pretty well against us, and Losman was coming on at the end of 06'. Lets hope they trade Mcgahee to the NFC or we are looking at 1-1 at best again...

Miami - No QB, New coach, Ricky might be back... this team is a joke... maybe they will trade for Vick... Seriously the Phins will be lucky to hit 8-8 next year VERY LUCKY

Away:

Baltimore - This will be a tough game no doubt, but they are beatable. Mcnair will be another year older, as will Jamal Lewis and Ray Lewis. The Colts beat them, and we had the Colts beat this year before blowing it... This is not a sure win game, but its not a sure loss either... One of the best way to beat these guys is to out-coach them, lets hope Mangini ready for it!

Cincinnati - They will be tough if we dont improve our D-line, a healthy Palmer with all those weapons and we could be in for a long day. That said, I think we will make the needed improvements on our Dline and make this a close game. If we get these guys when they are hot, it could be trouble... then again half their players might be in jail by next year.

Dallas - Lets hope we catch these guys on a bad week, they have the talent but they are not consistant and will have a new coach. Some people took this the wrong way, I dont think Dallas is a "great" team. They do however have a lot fo talent and if everything clicks on the same sunday they can be VERY tough...

NY Giants - This will basically be another "home" game for us and should be a win.

Tennessee - Vince Young is a great young player, and this team is coming on strong but I see no reason why Mangini wont have the JETS prepared well enough to win this one.

New England - (see above)

Buffalo - (see above)

Miami - (see above)

So with those teams next year I see no reason why we dont win 10 games again. Sure it can go either way but this schedule is not an extremely hard one and we will be getting better and our HC will have a full year under his belt... (along with a lot of food)...

In case you missed it, McGahee is no longer with the Bills, he's a Raven now and Jamal Lewis is not a Raven anymore, he is now with the Browns.

Wes Welker... that is not a "true WR"

Thomas might turn out to be a good pickup... but their front 7 were already really good, it doesnt really improve them much as a whole...

I was talking about Stallworth, and Welker is not that bad neither.

Archived