Brandon Stokley was released by the Colts

L.I.MikeBleedsGreen

Stokley would be a nice addition but if Dwight wasn't released by now he may be sticking around for another season. He was our best option at PR and he was good in the slot when healthy. Also, Brad Smith is the supposeded future slot man receiver so why bring yet another one in? Makes no sense to me but I wouldn't complain too much if we brought him in, if we release Dwight.

Stokley would be a nice addition but if Dwight wasn't released by now he may be sticking around for another season. He was our best option at PR and he was good in the slot when healthy. Also, Brad Smith is the supposeded future slot man receiver so why bring yet another one in? Makes no sense to me but I wouldn't complain too much if we brought him in, if we release Dwight.

Only thing is, he would probably cost a lot more money than Dwight.

Only thing is, he would probably cost a lot more money than Dwight.

With about $28 million in cap space, I don't think money is going to be that big of an issue for a receiver whose coming off an injury plagued season and is nothing more than a slot man.

Deep threat?

We are never going to have a deep threat as long as Pennington is the QB. We could have Bullet Bob Hayes and Cliff Branch lined up in the slot and they'd both be possession receivers.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Stokley, assuming the price was right. He'd be better than McCareins.

You may have misread what I meant. Stokely is not a deep threat receiver. However, we do not necessarily need one because Penny's lack of arm strength.

Your right, but again I think we need a DEEP THREAT. We don't have to throw him the ball everytime but its just another defender away from the ball and then maybe we can go short.

Deep threat?

We are never going to have a deep threat as long as Pennington is the QB. We could have Bullet Bob Hayes and Cliff Branch lined up in the slot and they'd both be possession receivers.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Stokley, assuming the price was right. He'd be better than McCareins.

Troll,

What if the Jets were in shotgun formation with those guys and as soon as Penny got the snap he ran forward and throw it as far as he could, I think he might be able to hit them for a 20 yard gain and then maybe they could use their speed to take it to the house.

Didn't the Colts just give him a pretty big contract right after the 2004 season?

http://www.fanball.com/football/playerProfile.cfm/pid.1650/Brandon/Stokley/

Contract Details

Stokley signed a two-year deal with the Colts in the spring of 2003. His contract was restructured in February 2004 by lowering his '04 base pay to $535,000 and giving him a signing bonus of $970,600. Stokley and the Colts agreed in principle to a five-year, $17 million contract extension in December 2004, according to the Indianapolis Star, and Stokley signed the deal in January 2005. The contract includes a $5 million signing bonus that will be paid in two installments.

He is due a $2.1 million base salary to go with a $500,000 roster bonus in March.

Archived