Arizona & others on the rise (Carolina, JETS, San Francisco & Seattle)

Cardinals a team on the rise

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Archive

In 1994, six seasons after he relocated his itinerant franchise from the banks of the Mississippi River to the desert, owner Bill Bidwill changed the name of the team from the Phoenix Cardinals to the Arizona Cardinals.

Little more than a footnote, for sure, except for this interesting factoid: The switch shook up the NFL directory, catapulting the Cardinals right to the front of the league's alphabetical order.

Thirteen years later, ranking atop the NFL roll call is still the only area in which the Cardinals have ever been No. 1 since they departed St. Louis following the 1987 season. In fact, during the Cardinals' two decades in the Valley of the Sun, they have mostly suffered through a dreary eclipse, finishing last in their division nine times, while qualifying only once for the playoffs.

But that long drought might be about to end.

With a new and inspiring coach, a state-of-the-art stadium, a young quarterback around whom to build for the future, an oasis of proven playmakers on offense and a defense with legitimate potential for improvement, Arizona might be ready for a change.

Granted, what the Cardinals always change, it seems, is the head coach, with the club now working on its eighth different sideline boss since moving to Phoenix. Not since their days in St. Louis, when the venerable Jim Hanifan was in charge for most of the final six years there, have the Cardinals employed a head coach who survived more than four seasons.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, however, figures to settle in for a while. With a degree in civil engineering, the former NFL tight end knows a little about building things from the ground up. At least on the offensive side, where quarterback Matt Leinart won three of his final four starts as a rookie in 2006, there is a foundation from which Whisenhunt can start. And by retaining creative defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, the Cardinals, whose scheme is constructed around Pro Bowl strong safety Adrian Wilson, will have a sense of continuity.

"We're not going to change the world," acknowledged Whisenhunt, speaking at the NFL combine a few weeks ago. "That's not the goal, guys, let's face it. But I think we can change enough things, and pretty quickly, to make good progress in a short time. I know we can change some attitudes. And I think, from talking to most of the [veterans], they're anxious to get started."

Everything in Arizona starts with an offense that features Leinart, wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald and aging tailback Edgerrin James. It is a nucleus good enough for Arizona to have statistically rated 18th in the league in total offense in 2006, despite a running game that was No. 30. James is hardly the kind of downhill runner Whisenhunt prefers. But if offensive line coach Russ Grimm, who came with Whisenhunt from Pittsburgh, can upgrade a blocking unit that has long been the Cardinals' most glaring weakness, perhaps the running attack will be productive enough to complement the passing game.

Arizona has been savvy in free agency to date, adding solid players such as Rod Hood and Terrence Holt in the secondary. What the Cardinals need is for young veterans like cornerback Antrel Rolle, tackle Darnell Dockett and linebacker Karlos Dansby to step up their games. And for Wilson, arguably the league's best unknown secondary player over the past four seasons, to keep performing at a Pro Bowl level.

"There's always going to be a natural excitement when [a new coach] comes in," Wilson acknowledged. "We're kind of riding that natural high right now. But I think the excitement here will last. [Whisenhunt] comes from a winner. He has been a winner. And when you talk to him, you come away feeling like he's got it figured out, and he knows how to move this thing forward."

Progress will not come easily, though, in an NFC West where the three other entries also figure to be better. Arizona lost five games in 2006 by seven points or fewer, including three losses by a field goal or less, but the Cardinals still face a tough road if they are to register real progress.

If quarterback Matt Hasselbeck is beyond his shoulder problems of a year ago, Seattle still has sufficient talent to challenge again for a Super Bowl berth. St. Louis continues to add impressive pieces to an offense that already ranked as one of the NFL's most explosive units. And buoyed by a wild spending spree in free agency, San Francisco also should rank among the franchises capable of plenty of upward mobility in 2007.

Here is a look, in fact, at four franchises besides Arizona that should ascend this season:

What would be a fluke is if there was a thread without you bashing Chad.....now that would be a fluke!!

Actually there's plenty of that to go around & I've been watching more than posting in those.

But "fluke" was the author's term, not mine. And he presumably used it in a flattering fashion. So what was the fluke? Was it playing every game? Was it that he had 20 turnovers to 17 interceptions with more than competent receivers? Hey, you tell me.

of Chad's 17 interceptions last year I'll bet you that at least a half a dozen came on balls that were tipped first-so a lot of that has to do with crappy luck-Remember Brady's 3 INT game against SD? He should have actually had 6 picked off 3 more were dropped

What was a fluke with Pennington? Playing the whole season?

I think its that and the fact he took a previously 4-12 team to 10-6 with 2 rookies on the O-line, no running game really, and a new coach and system...

I would think more than anything it was the fact he stayed healthy though

I think wisenhunt will prove to be the real deal and the cards are gonna be a force to be reckoned with in the nfl. He seems a perfect fit for the birds.

this breed of solid, proven ass't coaches who have had a lot of time to learn the game from successful predacessors seem much more effective as head coaches than the reshuffling of hc's around the league.. peyton, mangini & now wisenhunt as a few examples.

I think its that and the fact he took a previously 4-12 team to 10-6 with 2 rookies on the O-line, no running game really, and a new coach and system...

I would think more than anything it was the fact he stayed healthy though

So wait..

It's only Pennington when he can take a team from 4-12 to 10-6 with 2 rookies on the OLine, a new coaching staff & system & no running game...

Yet when it's a big game and he's under performing or it's the playoffs and he isn't winning championships or getting the team to the AFC Championship Game or isn't winning division titles it's because of everything else?

I see. It's all clear to me now!

So wait..

It's only Pennington when he can take a team from 4-12 to 10-6 with 2 rookies on the OLine, a new coaching staff & system & no running game...

Yet when it's a big game and he's under performing or it's the playoffs and he isn't winning championships or getting the team to the AFC Championship Game or isn't winning division titles it's because of everything else?

I see. It's all clear to me now!

Or maybe its b/c hes about as confident as the fat girl come prom time when in big game situations. I will PARTLY blame herm, as with herm we werent getting any farther either...but Chad's got to get over the confidence issues on his own now the excuses are all gone. Even the "great" Peyton Manning had confidence issues in the big games, and last year he finally seemed to get it under control. Not saying Chad will, im just saying its possible...and that he needs to or else what 124 and EB have been saying is right, and we might as well go to Clemens. I for one am confident he can do it.

Archived