Looking at the last game we played (Jets/Pats) playoff game

Barton

Which players do you think held up their end of the bargain or at least were bright spots?

I'd say Bryan Thomas and Kerry Rhodes. Cant think of anyone else......

I know the game was a couple months ago, but I actually just went through it on tape the other night before I went to bed and the game could have turned on just a few inches.

So anyways, which players were bright spots for you? Pennington? Coles? Leon?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was most impressed with Leon, the receivers, and poteat forced a fumble, i thought he played alright.

I thought Poteat had the worst performance of any cornerback I have ever seen.

I'm not kidding either. He was absolutely awful. I cant believe I got neg rep from ecurb a few months ago for saying that poteat is a garbage corner.....

I thought Poteat had the worst performance of any cornerback I have ever seen.

I'm not kidding either. He was absolutely awful. I cant believe I got neg rep from ecurb a few months ago for saying that poteat is a garbage corner.....

LOL

Mangini likes Poteat, Mangini likes him enough to give him a new contract for 07'... I just trust mangini.

I think Baker was good in that game, he had some real good catches... and obviously the QB who threw him the ball nicely... :)

LOL

Mangini likes Poteat, Mangini likes him enough to give him a new contract for 07'... I just trust mangini.

I think Baker was good in that game, he had some real good catches... and obviously the QB who threw him the ball nicely... :)

So you think Chad held up his end of the bargain or at least was a bright spot for us?

Which players do you think held up their end of the bargain or at least were bright spots?

I'd say Bryan Thomas and Kerry Rhodes. Cant think of anyone else......

I know the game was a couple months ago, but I actually just went through it on tape the other night before I went to bed and the game could have turned on just a few inches.

So anyways, which players were bright spots for you? Pennington? Coles? Leon?

Cotchery should jump out at you.

Pennington played like crap.

I don't think chad played terribly, certainly not bad enough to blame the loss on him. If the defense held up their end of the bargain and people didn't quit on that "Incomplete" pass it would have been a closer game.

I don't think chad played terribly, certainly not bad enough to blame the loss on him. If the defense held up their end of the bargain and people didn't quit on that "Incomplete" pass it would have been a closer game.

That pass he threw behind the line of scrimmage was inexcusable not to mention a complete momentum killer.

So you think Chad held up his end of the bargain or at least was a bright spot for us?

Chad had a decent game and considering how poorly QB's tend to do against BB's defense... yes he was a bright spot... he was the one that made the throws to Cotch/Baker/Coles... you will be quick to point out that they werent impressive distance wise... but that doesnt mean squat if you cant operate the offense and get the play off.

That pass he threw behind the line of scrimmage was inexcusable not to mention a complete momentum killer.

That was a called play that they used all season long, this time a defender happened to get a really good jump and a hand on the ball... if someone had blocked him just a little better the play would have gone just like it had the previous times they ran it. If anything blame it on SHotty for having a play like that in the playbook...

You act like Chad had a choice to throw the ball ahead of the LOS... when the player he was throwing to was clearly behind the LOS.... what was he supposed to do???

Chad had a decent game and considering how poorly QB's tend to do against BB's defense... yes he was a bright spot....

No he was not. Settling for field goals when your team needs touchdowns and giving the other team the ball on 2 turnovers (one of which was a pick 6) doesnt constitute being called a bright spot player in the game. You have very low QB play standards, that is clear.

No he was not. Settling for field goals when your team needs touchdowns and giving the other team the ball on 2 turnovers (one of which was a pick 6) doesnt constitute being called a bright spot player in the game. You have very low QB play standards, that is clear.

Amen to that Barton. I didn't think he played well at all.

This must have been your first Jets game of the season, as E-scrub said, they called that play all year long. i love how you guys will pick and choose what to bash and praise the offense on.

Penny sucks cause of his arm, and the backward pass

Cotch was good, cause he catches the ball in traffic. but his qb never makes him look good...obviously

baker had a good game, this must have been when clemens came in and threw him the ball, cause penny was benched wasn't he? oh wait...

Schott is a great o-coordinator, other than penny's backward pass, that's on him.

good rationale, watch a few games before you jump to conclusions.

Somehow you knew it was going to come down to Chad. Eventhough young lad Barton was just asking who we thought played way it has ONCE AGAIN turned into a Chad p!ssing contest.

Like I said earlier. NO ONE PLAYED WELL THAT DAY.

That goes for

Chad

Vilma

Rhodes

Mangold

The whole F'n got their lunch handed to them by a better team.

Pop Quiz....How many games have the Pats lost in the post season at home ?

(Alk: you cannot answer this one) :P

I'll give you a hint. It is the same amount of wins the 2007 Red Sox have today.

Mangini got everything he could possibly get out of that group. Hopefully next year we get some more.

The whole F'n got their lunch handed to them by a better team.

Pop Quiz....How many games have the Pats lost in the post season at home ?

(Alk: you cannot answer this one) :P

I'll give you a hint. It is the same amount of wins the 2007 Red Sox have today.

Mangini got everything he could possibly get out of that group. Hopefully next year we get some more.

That doesn't mean they are unbeatable. You are right in saying Mangini got as much as he could out of that group. He kept it close until the end, which is when we ran out of playmakers, in 07 we will close the gap a bit on the patsies.

This must have been your first Jets game of the season, as E-scrub said, they called that play all year long. i love how you guys will pick and choose what to bash and praise the offense on.

Penny sucks cause of his arm, and the backward pass

Cotch was good, cause he catches the ball in traffic. but his qb never makes him look good...obviously

baker had a good game, this must have been when clemens came in and threw him the ball, cause penny was benched wasn't he? oh wait...

Schott is a great o-coordinator, other than penny's backward pass, that's on him.

good rationale, watch a few games before you jump to conclusions.

Not hardly my 1st game buddy.

I know the play was called alot but this was the first time Chad threw it as a backward pass, behind the line of scrimmage instead of parallell to the line of scrimmage which is why we were penalized for it.

All the more reason it was a drive ending, momentum killing play.

That was at the end of the 3rd quarter when the score was 20-13 Pats and it was all down hill from there.

Piss-poor execution on Pennington'ss part and I won't even touch on the gift INT he threw to Samuel in the 4th quarter.

Chad didnt settle for field goals, you act like he just gave up.. its a team sport and Im pretty sure that Chad was giving 100% to get a TD.. nobody can question his heart, and you just did.

The INT was borderling garbage time, we would have needed to do something we havent all SEASON and that would be stop a team in the 4thQ on defense when our O is trying to come from behind.

You pick apart his play more than any other position, I can find more mistakes at almost any other position... why not look at what he did good for the team?

How about in the 1st Q when our Oline was getting beat bad by the Pats (we opened up with a sack) and then Chad scrambles 7 yards up the middle to try and make something happen?

HOw about when Chad got a throw off that wound up Incomplete but got hammered on the play becuase he stood tall... only had to take one play off BTW... and you know what that play was???? DO YOU??? It was a throw BEHIND THE LOS from Ramsey to Askew!!! But nooo... Chad is the only idiot that makes that throw... its not SHotty calling that play!!! :roll:

You give all of the credit to Cotch on his TD... who threw him the ball?? Who read the D?? Who got him the ball in the right spot at the right time to make the play??? You act like all it takes is physical ability to play QB, yet you forget all of the other things it takes to get the job done.

Not that it is good but there was also another play in that game where Chad threw the ball to Leon on purpose as the play was called... it went for -5 yards.... Thats Chads fault for listening to the OC though right?

How about in the 4th Q when Chad led the Jets from their own 25 yard line running a no huddle shotgun offense all the way into the Pats redzone??? The drive stalled in the Pats redzone, and thats all Chad fault right??? Nothing to do with a tough redzone D... nothing at all... :roll:

He completed 5 passes in a row and marched the JETS down the field on that drive... all but one were in no huddle shotgun offense...

He had the following...

1-10-NYJ25(15:00) C.Pennington pass deep left to C.Baker to NE 49 for 26 yards (M.Vrabel, J.Sanders).

1-10-NE49(14:30) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short middle to C.Baker to NE 38 for 11 yards (T.Bruschi).

1-10-NE38(13:54) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short right to L.Coles pushed ob at NE 34 for 4 yards (A.Samuel).

2-6-NE34(13:39) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short left to C.Baker to NE 21 for 13 yards (T.Bruschi, M.Vrabel).

1-10-NE21(13:02) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.Washington left guard to NE 19 for 2 yards (T.Bruschi).

PENALTY on NYJ-B.Moore, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NE 21 - No Play.1-20-NE31(12:40) C.Pennington pass short left to L.Washington to NE 19 for 12 yards (T.Bruschi).

You can bitch and moan all you want about Chad but dont try and act like he didnt play well against the Pats, the Pats make most QBs look like sh*t and all things considered Chad didnt look bad at all.

Why not bitch about Dbrick letting BantaCain get by on the backwards pass causing the TO, or was Chad supposed to block the LB and make the throw?

It was Chad fault of course that our WR's were being very well covered... I mean he should have picked apart that ****ty secondary... :roll:

Not hardly my 1st game buddy.

I know the play was called alot but this was the first time Chad threw it as a backward pass, behind the line of scrimmage instead of parallell to the line of scrimmage which is why we were penalized for it.

All the more reason it was a drive ending, momentum killing play.

Both Chad and Ramsey threw passes behind the LOS in this game and others during the year.

D-Rob played decent in that game..he forced a fumble and made some plays for once.

Whats good about him is I think he will play with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove he can be a good fit for Mangini's defense... and trying to prove he will be worth his HUGE base salary in 08'! lol

That doesn't mean they are unbeatable. You are right in saying Mangini got as much as he could out of that group. He kept it close until the end, which is when we ran out of playmakers, in 07 we will close the gap a bit on the patsies.

Well if they are not then they are about as close as you can get. Guys like Manning, McNair, Leftwitch, Gannon have all taken their shots and have come up short.

IMHO if you are going to beat the Pats in a playoff game up there you had better bring your A++ game. Especially with Brady at QB and BB at the controls. The Jets couldn't stop New England on their first drive. Couldn't stop them on the drive right before the half and when the game was still competitive the offense made a mistake at the most crucial time of the game.

Heck if they had been paying attention they would have realized that that was a lateral and would have fallen on it. It took BB screaming for someone to pick up the ball before anyone realized that it was a lateral and by that time it was too late.

It was a great season. I don't hold Chad responsible for losing the game like alot of people here do. They got beat by a better team.

Both Chad and Ramsey threw passes behind the LOS in this game and others during the year.

1-10-NE48 (1:52) (No Huddle) C.Pennington to NYJ 46 for -6 yards (R.Colvin). FUMBLES (R.Colvin), RECOVERED by NE-V.Wilfork at NYJ 46. V.Wilfork to NYJ 15 for 31 yards (J.Cotchery). backward pass Play Challenged by NYJ and Upheld. (Timeout #1 by NYJ at 01:43.)

That was a first down play (for the Jets) that wound up giving the ball back to NE 1st and 10 on our friggin' 15 yard line.

The fact you guys are trying to defend Pennington's play is a joke. WE scored 13 points in that game boys, 13. And we had one offensive TD the whole friggin' game, ONE!!! Which was the result of yet another stellar catch and run play by Cotchery more than anything else

Pennington handed NE the ball with shoddy play twice in that game. You will never beat a championship caliber team with a QB that makes those kind of bonehead mistakes.

Put your Chad pom-poms down and see his performance in that game for what it was which was mediocre at best.

Whats good about him is I think he will play with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove he can be a good fit for Mangini's defense... and trying to prove he will be worth his HUGE base salary in 08'! lol

They can't double team Ellis and D-Rob this year with Coleman on the other side instead of that useless POS Kimo. Hobson moving inside will be a big improvement also.

1-10-NE48 (1:52) (No Huddle) C.Pennington to NYJ 46 for -6 yards (R.Colvin). FUMBLES (R.Colvin), RECOVERED by NE-V.Wilfork at NYJ 46. V.Wilfork to NYJ 15 for 31 yards (J.Cotchery). backward pass Play Challenged by NYJ and Upheld. (Timeout #1 by NYJ at 01:43.)

That was a first down play (for the Jets) that wound up giving the ball back to NE 1st and 10 on our friggin' 15 yard line.

The fact you guys are trying to defend Pennington's play is a joke. WE scored 13 points in that game boys, 13. And we had one offensive TD the whole friggin' game, ONE!!! Which was the result of yet another stellar catch and run play by Cotchery more than anything else

Pennington handed NE the ball with shoddy play twice in that game. You will never beat a championship caliber team with a QB that makes those kind of bonehead mistakes.

Put your Chad pom-poms down and see his performance in that game for what it was which was mediocre at best.

Chad Pennington did not call that play, Chad Pennignton did not miss the block on the LB causing the fumble to happen...

You pass all of the blame on Chad but he did exactly what the coaches wanted him to do, if anything blame the TE or Dbrick for missing the block.

And dont try and claim the JETS had never thrown that play behind the line before, becuase they had, even in that game.

Chad Pennington did not call that play, Chad Pennignton did not miss the block on the LB causing the fumble to happen...

You pass all of the blame on Chad but he did exactly what the coaches wanted him to do, if anything blame the TE or Dbrick for missing the block.

And dont try and claim the JETS had never thrown that play behind the line before, becuase they had, even in that game.

He didn't call the play but it was his piss poor execution and his failure to see the LBer cheating right toward where he was throwing the ball that caused that play to be a complete disaster, that was all Pennington.

Chad didnt settle for field goals, you act like he just gave up.. its a team sport and Im pretty sure that Chad was giving 100% to get a TD.. nobody can question his heart, and you just did.

The INT was borderling garbage time, we would have needed to do something we havent all SEASON and that would be stop a team in the 4thQ on defense when our O is trying to come from behind.

You pick apart his play more than any other position, I can find more mistakes at almost any other position... why not look at what he did good for the team?

How about in the 1st Q when our Oline was getting beat bad by the Pats (we opened up with a sack) and then Chad scrambles 7 yards up the middle to try and make something happen?

HOw about when Chad got a throw off that wound up Incomplete but got hammered on the play becuase he stood tall... only had to take one play off BTW... and you know what that play was???? DO YOU??? It was a throw BEHIND THE LOS from Ramsey to Askew!!! But nooo... Chad is the only idiot that makes that throw... its not SHotty calling that play!!! :roll:

You give all of the credit to Cotch on his TD... who threw him the ball?? Who read the D?? Who got him the ball in the right spot at the right time to make the play??? You act like all it takes is physical ability to play QB, yet you forget all of the other things it takes to get the job done.

Not that it is good but there was also another play in that game where Chad threw the ball to Leon on purpose as the play was called... it went for -5 yards.... Thats Chads fault for listening to the OC though right?

How about in the 4th Q when Chad led the Jets from their own 25 yard line running a no huddle shotgun offense all the way into the Pats redzone??? The drive stalled in the Pats redzone, and thats all Chad fault right??? Nothing to do with a tough redzone D... nothing at all... :roll:

He completed 5 passes in a row and marched the JETS down the field on that drive... all but one were in no huddle shotgun offense...

He had the following...

1-10-NYJ25(15:00) C.Pennington pass deep left to C.Baker to NE 49 for 26 yards (M.Vrabel, J.Sanders).

1-10-NE49(14:30) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short middle to C.Baker to NE 38 for 11 yards (T.Bruschi).

1-10-NE38(13:54) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short right to L.Coles pushed ob at NE 34 for 4 yards (A.Samuel).

2-6-NE34(13:39) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short left to C.Baker to NE 21 for 13 yards (T.Bruschi, M.Vrabel).

1-10-NE21(13:02) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.Washington left guard to NE 19 for 2 yards (T.Bruschi).

PENALTY on NYJ-B.Moore, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NE 21 - No Play.1-20-NE31(12:40) C.Pennington pass short left to L.Washington to NE 19 for 12 yards (T.Bruschi).

You can bitch and moan all you want about Chad but dont try and act like he didnt play well against the Pats, the Pats make most QBs look like sh*t and all things considered Chad didnt look bad at all.

Why not bitch about Dbrick letting BantaCain get by on the backwards pass causing the TO, or was Chad supposed to block the LB and make the throw?

It was Chad fault of course that our WR's were being very well covered... I mean he should have picked apart that ****ty secondary... :roll:

How was the INT for pick six by Chad in garbage time? There was 5 minutes left in the game and we were down by only 2 scores, not 3.

Of course you say its garbage time. You conceited defeat the moment the pats went up by 2 touchdowns with 5 minutes to go because Pennington isnt capable of putting together 2 scoring drives without taking up massive amounts of clock time because all he throws is passes less than 10 yards.

The cotchery catch and pass was a good play but Cotchery was WIDE OPEN, Pennington did his job there in delivering the pass, but that was in the 1st Quarter - he did nothing and absolutely NOTHING the rest of the game.

You can throw the defense under the bus, or our rookie left tackle, I'm not gonna argue as both units need to get better to win a championship, but so does the Quarterback play.

And yes, Chad had to settle for FGs because he couldnt put in any touchdowns once he got in the redzone. This is fact and I will explain it in detail in another post.

Stop making excuses saying "oh Chad couldnt put the ball in the endzone once he reached the redzone because the pats defense is just so good"

What kind of attitude is that? Just throw in the towell if you dont think our QB can get it done in the redzone against a tuff defense. BTW, I must have missed the pats superbowl parade last year because their defense was just so incredible they could not lose.

There was not a missed block on the play where colvin tipped the pass. Quit blaming every other player and throwing them under the bus because Chad threw the game away on that play.

Its not only Penningtons job to find a clear window to throw in, which he did not, but he was also not smart enough to realize he had thrown a backwards pass to go run over and fall on it.

I guess that rhodes scholar really helps eh.

Let me, once again, explain to you why Chad Pennington is not good enough.

He settles for field goals instead of getting touchdowns. It has been his M.O. his entire career, especially in the playoffs.

Take a closer look at his performance vs the Patriots in the playoffs this past year.

1st Quarter: Jets down 7-0

Ball at 10 yard line, in the redzone after Drob forces a fumble that Poteat recovers.

Pennington fails to lead the offense to a touchdown and has to settle for a field goal.

Jets down 7-3

Early 3rd Quarter: Jets down 17-10

Ball at 12 yard line in the redzone. Leon rushes for 5 yards on 1st down. 2nd and 5 Pennington throws an incomplete pass. 3rd and 5 Pennington throws a pass that is tipped by Seymour at the line, then tipped by Vrabel in the LB corps, Baker ends up catching the pass but it did not get the 1st down yardage or a touchdown.

Jets have to once again settle for a field goal when they needed a touchdown.

Jets down 17-13

Late 3rd Quarter: Jets down 20-13

Ball at 50 yard line after Leon Washington had a 19 yard run off right tackle. Pennington fails to find a clear window to the throw his attempted backwards pass. Ball is tipped by Rosevelt Colvin who was being blocked by Dbrick. Pennington fails to realize, for all his smarts, that the ball is still live and is a fumble. Wilfork picks up the ball and runs to the 15 yard line. Jets defense does the job and limits the Pats to a field goal. This was a crucial drive in the game as the Jets were gaining momentum only to have Chad throw it all away on ironically, a backwards pass.

Jets down 23-13

Early 4th Quarter: Jets down 23-13

Pennington misses a wide open Chris Baker on 2nd and 8 in the redzone. 3rd and 8, Pennington once again throws an incomplete pass on 3rd down failing to drive the ball in tight coverage; lack of arm strength a clear issue on this pass that was knocked down as there was a window there to complete the pass.

No touchdown, the Jets offense when they desperately needed a touchdown, has to settle for a field goal.

Jets down 23-16

4th Quarter, 5 minutes left: Jets down 30-13

Down by 2 scores, the feeling is grim amongst Jets fans as they have never once had their QB lead them to victory when down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter his entire career. Pennington attempts to throw a 15 yard out - Samuel waits on the pass intended for Justin McCareins, jumps the route picks it off and runs it back for a touchdown. Game over. Jets lose 37-16

Field goals do not win championships. Quarterbacks who settle for field goals, do not win championships.

There was not a missed block on the play where colvin tipped the pass. Quit blaming every other player and throwing them under the bus because Chad threw the game away on that play.

Its not only Penningtons job to find a clear window to throw in, which he did not, but he was also not smart enough to realize he had thrown a backwards pass to go run over and fall on it.

You know the funny thing is Barton, most people are completely missing how poorly that play was executed.

First off, that play is designed for the ball to be thrown in front of but parallell to the line of scrimmage. Had Pennington executed that play properly it would have been nothing more than a tipped incomplete pass and we would have maintained possession of the ball and it would have been 2nd and 10 on our own 48.

However Pennington botched that play so badly, he actually threw the ball at the line of scrimmage on a slight backward angle so that by the time Colvin tipped it, he was actually behind the line of scrimmage (making it a backward pass) which is why it was ruled a fumble thus giving NE possesion with 1st and 10 on our 15 yard line, instead of just being a batted incomplete pass as it would have been if it was properly executed.

That was the game-changing, momentum swinging play for the Pats, they got it on that play and they never let it go.

As a starting QB, You cannot make a bonehead play like that ever, but especially not in the playoffs against a championship caliber Defense.

If nobody m,issed a block then the credit goes to Colvin for that play not Pennington...

How about you throw the other 10 guys that didnt fall on the ball under the bus too?? Or is it only Chads fault?? :roll:

At least I can budge a little bit, I dont claim Chad had a great game, just a good one...

Your pur hatred for the guy is nearly laughable... it clouds your judgement and makes you almost sound silly...

Quit blaming every other player and throwing them under the bus because Chad threw the game away on that play.

but he was also not smart enough to realize he had thrown a backwards pass to go run over and fall on it.

You tell me to stop throwing everyone under the bus except Chad (I BTW said myself over and over after that game it was all 11 players faults that ball was not recovered) Yet you sit here and ONLY throw Chad under the bus for that play, while someone obviously didnt get a good enough piece of Colving for him to get that deep in the backfield that quickly, 10 other guys picked their nose as well while there was a live ball on the ground... but oh yeah its all Chads fault right??

Your so bias about it, you cannot be taken seriously... I can admit Chad should have fallen on the ball, but I also know that it woudlnt have happened if Dbrick had gotten his arm on COlvin, and if one of the 11 players including Chad would have fallen on the ball, or if our coach like BB did screamed at the players to get on the ball.

Everyone blew that play, not just Chad, it was a team effort.

If nobody m,issed a block then the credit goes to Colvin for that play not Pennington...

How about you throw the other 10 guys that didnt fall on the ball under the bus too?? Or is it only Chads fault?? :roll:

At least I can budge a little bit, I dont claim Chad had a great game, just a good one...

Your pur hatred for the guy is nearly laughable... it clouds your judgement and makes you almost sound silly...

You tell me to stop throwing everyone under the bus except Chad (I BTW said myself over and over after that game it was all 11 players faults that ball was not recovered) Yet you sit here and ONLY throw Chad under the bus for that play, while someone obviously didnt get a good enough piece of Colving for him to get that deep in the backfield that quickly, 10 other guys picked their nose as well while there was a live ball on the ground... but oh yeah its all Chads fault right??

Your so bias about it, you cannot be taken seriously... I can admit Chad should have fallen on the ball, but I also know that it woudlnt have happened if Dbrick had gotten his arm on COlvin, and if one of the 11 players including Chad would have fallen on the ball, or if our coach like BB did screamed at the players to get on the ball.

Everyone blew that play, not just Chad, it was a team effort.

Dude read my above post, you're making yourself look really, really foolish.

Obviously you don't understand the repercussions of that play.

Archived