Looking at the last game we played (Jets/Pats) playoff game

Barton

the biggest thing i noticed with that game was how much bigger the pats front 7 was than the jets - on both sides of the ball. the pats front 7 just dwarfed our offensive line and the result was 0 push upfront.

after watching that game i realized how much mangini and shott put together game plan after game plan of smoke, mirrors, and misdirection to keep the jets in games. '06 was the first year of the jet 3-4 and i can only assume the jets will try to get more like the pats in years to come.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If nobody m,issed a block then the credit goes to Colvin for that play not Pennington...

How about you throw the other 10 guys that didnt fall on the ball under the bus too?? Or is it only Chads fault?? :roll:

At least I can budge a little bit, I dont claim Chad had a great game, just a good one...

Your pur hatred for the guy is nearly laughable... it clouds your judgement and makes you almost sound silly...

You tell me to stop throwing everyone under the bus except Chad (I BTW said myself over and over after that game it was all 11 players faults that ball was not recovered) Yet you sit here and ONLY throw Chad under the bus for that play, while someone obviously didnt get a good enough piece of Colving for him to get that deep in the backfield that quickly, 10 other guys picked their nose as well while there was a live ball on the ground... but oh yeah its all Chads fault right??

Your so bias about it, you cannot be taken seriously... I can admit Chad should have fallen on the ball, but I also know that it woudlnt have happened if Dbrick had gotten his arm on COlvin, and if one of the 11 players including Chad would have fallen on the ball, or if our coach like BB did screamed at the players to get on the ball.

Everyone blew that play, not just Chad, it was a team effort.

You fail to realize it is Chads JOB to find a clear window the throw a ball.

He failed to do that. And on top of that failure he did not go and fall on the ball.

He messed up twice on the same play. For failing to find a clear window to throw the pass, and for failing to realize the ball was still in play.

Chad gets blame for that play, and nobody else. He's the QB, a 7 year veteran, not a rookie or a player still learning.

No excuses for him at this point.

Colvin was being blocked just fine by Dbrick, but he read Chad like a book who stared down the wide receiver and threw an ill-fated backwards pass. A very good play by Colvin that Pennington easily could have avoided.

Chad threw away all momentum we had going with that play. Pennington had a very poor game, there is absolutely no way to dispute it.

You fail to realize it is Chads JOB to find a clear window the throw a ball.

He failed to do that. And on top of that failure he did not go and fall on the ball.

He messed up twice on the same play. For failing to find a clear window to throw the pass, and for failing to realize the ball was still in play.

Chad gets blame for that play, and nobody else. He's the QB, a 7 year veteran, not a rookie or a player still learning.

No excuses for him at this point.

Colvin was being blocked just fine by Dbrick, but he read Chad like a book who stared down the wide receiver and threw an ill-fated backwards pass.

Chad threw away all momentum we had going with that play. Pennington had a very poor game, there is absolutely no way to dispute it.

He messed up far worse than that Barton.

You know the funny thing most people are completely missing how poorly that play was executed.

First off, that play is designed for the ball to be thrown in front of but parallell to the line of scrimmage. Had Pennington executed that play properly it would have been nothing more than a tipped incomplete pass and we would have maintained possession of the ball and it would have been 2nd and 10 on our own 48.

However Pennington botched that play so badly, he actually threw the ball at the line of scrimmage on a slight backward angle so that by the time Colvin tipped it, he was actually behind the line of scrimmage (making it a backward pass) which is why it was ruled a fumble instead of just being a batted incomplete pass, thus giving NE possesion with 1st and 10 on our 15 yard line, instead of the Jets retaining possession with 2nd and 10 on our own 48 as it would have been if it was properly executed.

That was the game-changing, momentum swinging play for the Pats, they got it on that play and they never let it go.

As a starting QB, You cannot make a bonehead play like that ever, but especially not in the playoffs against a championship caliber Defense.

the biggest thing i noticed with that game was how much bigger the pats front 7 was than the jets - on both sides of the ball. the pats front 7 just dwarfed our offensive line and the result was 0 push upfront.

after watching that game i realized how much mangini and shott put together game plan after game plan of smoke, mirrors, and misdirection to keep the jets in games. '06 was the first year of the jet 3-4 and i can only assume the jets will try to get more like the pats in years to come.

This message is not acceptable and the poster should be banned for failing to blame CP. An acceptable way to phrase this message might be:

The significant size advantage New England had could have influenced the outcome of the game, but of course the real reason the Jets lost is CP's miserable play.

Dude read my above post, you're making yourself look really, really foolish.

Obviously you don't understand the repercussions of that play.

He messed up far worse than that Barton.

You know the funny thing most people are completely missing how poorly that play was executed.

First off, that play is designed for the ball to be thrown in front of but parallell to the line of scrimmage. Had Pennington executed that play properly it would have been nothing more than a tipped incomplete pass and we would have maintained possession of the ball and it would have been 2nd and 10 on our own 48.

However Pennington botched that play so badly, he actually threw the ball at the line of scrimmage on a slight backward angle so that by the time Colvin tipped it, he was actually behind the line of scrimmage (making it a backward pass) which is why it was ruled a fumble instead of just being a batted incomplete pass, thus giving NE possesion with 1st and 10 on our 15 yard line, instead of the Jets retaining possession with 2nd and 10 on our own 48 as it would have been if it was properly executed.

That was the game-changing, momentum swinging play for the Pats, they got it on that play and they never let it go.

As a starting QB, You cannot make a bonehead play like that ever, but especially not in the playoffs against a championship caliber Defense.

Your missing the point that it was a designed play... Chad threw the ball to the reciever who was well behind the LOS... it wasnt even close... they ran this play a few times even during this game, even once with a different QB (Ramsey).

You picking the wrong reasons to fight this, Chad and everyone screwed up by not falling on it, but Chad did what Shotty wanted him to by throwing it back...

This message is not acceptable and the poster should be banned for failing to blame CP. An acceptable way to phrase this message might be:

The significant size advantage New England had could have influenced the outcome of the game, but of course the real reason the Jets lost is CP's miserable play.

Now, I'm not saying the Jets lost to the Pats because of Chad Pennington. Not saying that all.

The defense isnt good enough either, or at least it wasnt last year. Same goes for our running game, which despite acquiring Thomas Jones, it is not gonna bring back the 2004 rushing attack we sported largely due to Penningtons inability to threaten a defense with a downfield attack.

His arm strength, or lack there-of, limits not only the success of the running game, but the full playbook in the passing game. Its tied together, 1 in the same.

Other parts of the team arent good enough yet. But neither is Chad Pennington, and that wont change.

Your missing the point that it was a designed play... Chad threw the ball to the reciever who was well behind the LOS... it wasnt even close... they ran this play a few times even during this game, even once with a different QB (Ramsey).

You picking the wrong reasons to fight this, Chad and everyone screwed up by not falling on it, but Chad did what Shotty wanted him to by throwing it back...

Dude, I just spelled it out for you, that play absolutley WAS NOT PROPERLY EXECUTED. Obviously you just don't want to read it.

I've done all I can here.

chad didn't execute the play properly, he was the only one who messed up? it was all on him? I agree he ****ed up, but he wasn't the only one and to say that the dude who tipped it didn't make a good play is just silly. That guy did a great job and make a fantastic play, to take credit away to bash chad is just stupid. chad didn't play great but he did well enough that if the defense and running game and o-line played better we would have had a chance to win.

Dude, I just spelled it out for you, that play absolutley WAS NOT PROPERLY EXECUTED. Obviously you just don't want to read it.

Colvin wasn't touched on theplay and Chad is lucky that it wasn't a pick-6. Colvin got both hands on the ball.

Terrible decision by Chad to throw that ball.

chad didn't execute the play properly, he was the only one who messed up? it was all on him? I agree he ****ed up, but he wasn't the only one and to say that the dude who tipped it didn't make a good play is just silly. That guy did a great job and make a fantastic play, to take credit away to bash chad is just stupid. chad didn't play great but he did well enough that if the defense and running game and o-line played better we would have had a chance to win.

I did say Colvin made a fine play on the ball, but only because Pennington didnt execute the play correctly.

He failed to find a clear window the throw the pass, thats job #1. Then after the play failed, he didnt even think to go fall on the ball. Failure #2.

Chad did not play well enough to win. Unless you expect the defense to pitch a shutout on the road, you're not being realistic here. The running game and Oline would be better if we had a better QB back there who could successfully spread the ball to all parts of the field.......

Chad had 2 turnovers to 1 touchdown and was 0 for 3 in the redzone. The QB position needs to be upgraded if we want to get past the Patriots, win the division and get to a Superbowl. Bottom line.

And it was all Chads fault I know.... did he sucker punch your mom? You need to harness your hate for the guy... use it for something good... :)

I knew this thread would turn into a Chad bash fest. Did he play great in that game? No. However he was far from the only reason the Jets wern't able to convert TD's in the redzone...

ecurb took the bait on the trap I set up for him :lol:

I did say Colvin made a fine play on the ball, but only because Pennington didnt execute the play correctly.

He failed to find a clear window the throw the pass, thats job #1. Then after the play failed, he didnt even think to go fall on the ball. Failure #2.

Chad did not play well enough to win. Unless you expect the defense to pitch a shutout on the road, you're not being realistic here. The running game and Oline would be better if we had a better QB back there who could successfully spread the ball to all parts of the field.......

Chad had 2 turnovers to 1 touchdown and was 0 for 3 in the redzone. The QB position needs to be upgraded if we want to get past the Patriots, win the division and get to a Superbowl. Bottom line.

Geez you have to wonder if Colts fans were saying the same thing about Manning after losing two years in a row up there ? ;)

Geez you have to wonder if Colts fans were saying the same thing about Manning after losing two years in a row up there ? ;)

They would certainly have a case if their QB had 17 touchdowns to 20 turnovers but I think having the greatest regular season QB of all time on their team gave them alittle faith, even a trackrecord of great play, to say that eventually Peyton will get it done. And he did.

Unfortunately, Chad has been a below average QB since his rotator cuff injury (28TDs - 26 INTs), so there's not much of a comparison there, shawn.

ecurb took the bait on the trap I set up for him :lol:

More like you were crazy enough to set up a trap for a great white shark but forgot to jump out of the water before I showed up. :)

The jokes on you, you come off as a pompus all knwoing BIAS as hell Chad hater... while all I am trying to say is that play was the entire teams fault and Chad had a good game.

Keep "setting a trap" for me all you want, and I will keep coming and talk about the JETS starting QB who leads his team into the playoffs... while you hate on the guy with a better win % than Joe Namath... :roll:

Colts fans just blamed the weather and the referees!

The Jets/Pats game was the nicest weather I have ever experienced for a home playoff game. Not to mention the field turf they have at Gillette.

The Jets loss boiled down to 2 things:

1). The Jets allowing the Pats to control the line of scrimmage and also allowing the Pats to score a TD right before the half.

2). Penny being ineffective in the redzone.

More like you were crazy enough to set up a trap for a great white shark but forgot to jump out of the water before I showed up. :)

The jokes on you, you come off as a pompus all knwoing BIAS as hell Chad hater... while all I am trying to say is that play was the entire teams fault and Chad had a good game.

Keep "setting a trap" for me all you want, and I will keep coming and talk about the JETS starting QB who leads his team into the playoffs... while you hate on the guy with a better win % than Joe Namath... :roll:

Chad did not have a good game. Thats where you are missing the boat, jaws.

0 for 3 in the redzone and 2 turnovers to only 1 touchdown = a below average game

You must have grown up watching the likes of Neil O'Donnel and all the other garbage QBs the Jets have gone through like toilet paper to sit here and say Chad actually had a good game vs the pats.

Even if you think its a good game, which it IS NOT, its simply not good enough to win in the playoffs.

Chad is ecurb's adopted son,and I know you're on team clemens..it's a combustible mixture. :lol:

They would certainly have a case if their QB had 17 touchdowns to 20 turnovers but I think having the greatest regular season QB of all time on their team gave them alittle faith, even a trackrecord of great play, to say that eventually Peyton will get it done. And he did.

Unfortunately, Chad has been a below average QB since his rotator cuff injury (28TDs - 26 INTs), so there's not much of a comparison there, shawn.

Agreed. Just not putting all this on Chad, especially on a day when no one played well.

If guys like Manning, Gannon, McNair, Leftwitch and others have failed to beat the Pats at home what made any of you even think that the Jets with that team were going to walk into the Pats house and win that game ?

Colts fans just blamed the weather and the referees!

The Jets/Pats game was the nicest weather I have ever experienced for a home playoff game. Not to mention the field turf they have at Gillette.

The Jets loss boiled down to 2 things:

1). The Jets allowing the Pats to control the line of scrimmage and also allowing the Pats to score a TD right before the half.

2). Penny being ineffective in the redzone.

Ding Ding we have our second winner of the day :P

Agreed. Just not putting all this on Chad, especially on a day when no one played well.

If guys like Manning, Gannon, McNair, Leftwitch and others have failed to beat the Pats at home what made any of you even think that the Jets with that team were going to walk into the Pats house and win that game ?

I'm not putting this all on Chad, though.

But its just another example of how he is NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH. , regardless of how poorly the rest of the team played, it looks alot worse because of the 10 points that Chad single handedly pissed away to the Patriots with his backwards pass fumble that led to 3 points, and the pick six + pat that led to 7 points - thats 10 points for Chad! :bag:

I guess you can say Chad actually threw 2 touchdowns in the game.

Chad did not have a good game. Thats where you are missing the boat, jaws.

0 for 3 in the redzone and 2 turnovers to only 1 touchdown = a below average game

You must have grown up watching the likes of Neil O'Donnel and all the other garbage QBs the Jets have gone through like toilet paper to sit here and say Chad actually had a good game vs the pats.

Even if you think its a good game, which it IS NOT, its simply not good enough to win in the playoffs.

It is hard to score in the redzone to begin with, but it is a team efort... could Chad have done better? Sure, so could every other player.

The fact is he had 300 yards, he was moving the ball along... you dont just POOF get 300 yards.... he did not play like crap... he just didnt play like the HOF QB you wish we had and seem to thnk is easy to get.

I'm not putting this all on Chad, though.

But its just another example of how he is NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH. , regardless of how poorly the rest of the team played, it looks alot worse because of the 10 points that Chad single handedly pissed away to the Patriots with his backwards pass fumble that led to 3 points, and the pick six + pat that led to 7 points - thats 10 points for Chad! :bag:

I guess you can say Chad actually threw 2 touchdowns in the game.

Well then I guess we look at the situation differently.

You are looking at one guy, I'm looking at the team as a whole. Which is fine. I still think that you could have put anyone (Manning, McNabb, Favre, Unitas) whoever and the result was going to be the same.

Pats win

Jets lose

That is just the way it is. Football is 45-52 men working together. Offense, Defense, SP Teams. When one breaks down the others have to pick it up.

The Jets are not at that point yet where a unit can have a bad game and have the other pick it up.

Pennington was bad but so were alot of others.

It is hard to score in the redzone to begin with, but it is a team efort... could Chad have done better? Sure, so could every other player.

The fact is he had 300 yards, he was moving the ball along... you dont just POOF get 300 yards.... he did not play like crap... he just didnt play like the HOF QB you wish we had and seem to thnk is easy to get.

Chad missed throws in the redzone and the Jets settled for FG's.

I thought Poteat had the worst performance of any cornerback I have ever seen.

I'm not kidding either. He was absolutely awful. I cant believe I got neg rep from ecurb a few months ago for saying that poteat is a garbage corner.....

The pats picked on him in the wild card game but he was solid for us up until that point.Brady kept hitting receivers when they were making their cuts,both Dyson and Poteat could of played more aggressively that day.

Off the top of my head,Vilma's missed sack hurt.It was a sea saw battle for momentum and I think they went on to score on that drive.

You know the funny thing is Barton, most people are completely missing how poorly that play was executed.

However Pennington botched that play so badly, he actually threw the ball at the line of scrimmage on a slight backward angle so that by the time Colvin tipped it, he was actually behind the line of scrimmage (making it a backward pass) which is why it was ruled a fumble thus giving NE possesion with 1st and 10 on our 15 yard line, instead of just being a batted incomplete pass as it would have been if it was properly executed.

You do realize that any ball thrown parallel to the LOS would be a fumble right? Regardless if its in front or behind the LOS, it's still a fumble if parallel.

Do kids even play sports anymore or is it just computers and Madden? I mean, this is basic football rules. Here's how it works: The play calls for the QB to receive the snap and immediately throw to his slot receiver, and, in all likelihood the Oline is doing a chop block to bring the first line of defense down to the ground and keep them from batting down a pass so close to the LOS. The QB cannot "find a lane" to throw the ball because it's not designed that way, it's called a quick pass and if EVERYONE does their job and executes then the receiver catches the ball and scampers for some yardage. If one of the guys misses their chop block, or a defender reads and reacts very well and sniffs it out and avoids the chop block then you have a tip and a dangerous result. To say it was Chad's fault is simply telling everyone that posts here that you have never played a down of football, or at least never played a down on offense.

Barton brings up a game just so he can bash Chad and instigate ecurb. As far as I'm concerned, this place is becoming a little too juvenile for my tastes. Think I'm taking a BZ-type leave of absence until some adults start posting here.

Peace.

That play is not designed to be a read and then throw play, it would NEVER work if that's the case because the defense would be all over it before it started. It's called a quick pass for a reason.

You need to put some pads on and go play some football.:P

That play is not designed to be a read and then throw play, it would NEVER work if that's the case because the defense would be all over it before it started. It's called a quick pass for a reason.

You need to put some pads on and go play some football.:P

If Chad had lofted the ball then it would have been fine but he fired it directly at Colvin.

It was a bad throw.

finally someone who understands what happened on that play...

Chad did what he was supposed to do (up until not falling on the ball of course) and the play went bad, but he didnt execute it wrong at all, the Pats D did a great job and someone missed a block...

Also with the players not falling on the ball... there were 22 guys on the field standing around until BB started screaming for them to pick up the ball...

From pop warner staright up to the pros you always throw backwards or lateral passes to your WR's, its a high risk, high reward type play that usually cant be done against a good defense... you use this type of play to pick on a weak pass rush and a weak CB... or in some a cases if you have a bullrushing DE you use it to keep them out of the play.

This play was the entire teams fault, as well as the coaches. Chad only real mistake was not being the only other person aside from BB to think of falling on the ball... but should we really place the blame on him for that too when Mangini and the other 10 players didnt think of it?

finally someone who understands what happened on that play...

Chad did what he was supposed to do (up until not falling on the ball of course) and the play went bad, but he didnt execute it wrong at all, the Pats D did a great job and someone missed a block...

Also with the players not falling on the ball... there were 22 guys on the field standing around until BB started screaming for them to pick up the ball...

From pop warner staright up to the pros you always throw backwards or lateral passes to your WR's, its a high risk, high reward type play that usually cant be done against a good defense... you use this type of play to pick on a weak pass rush and a weak CB... or in some a cases if you have a bullrushing DE you use it to keep them out of the play.

This play was the entire teams fault, as well as the coaches. Chad only real mistake was not being the only other person aside from BB to think of falling on the ball... but should we really place the blame on him for that too when Mangini and the other 10 players didnt think of it?

For those calling for Chad to fall on the ball thats crap. The ball was at DBrick's feet and he didn't think about picking it up.

I just watched the play again and Penny turned and fired without even looking to see if a Pats defender was in the way.

If Chad had put some air under the ball it would have been fine but he just blindly fired it directly at Colvin.

Bad play & bad throw as Colvin was lined up outside of DBrick and was untouched.

1st Quarter: Jets down 7-0

Ball at 10 yard line, in the redzone after Drob forces a fumble that Poteat recovers.

Pennington fails to lead the offense to a touchdown and has to settle for a field goal.

Jets down 7-3

If memory serves me correct,no-one got open on 3rd down.The pats defended us really well on that drive,stoping our two runs for a gain of 5 yards and then covering our receivers.I fail to see how it was Pennington specifically who failed to lead us to a touchdown,Not much you can do in that situation except trying something different next time.

Early 3rd Quarter: Jets down 17-10

Ball at 12 yard line in the redzone. Leon rushes for 5 yards on 1st down. 2nd and 5 Pennington throws an incomplete pass. 3rd and 5 Pennington throws a pass that is tipped by Seymour at the line, then tipped by Vrabel in the LB corps, Baker ends up catching the pass but it did not get the 1st down yardage or a touchdown.

Jets have to once again settle for a field goal when they needed a touchdown.

Jets down 17-13

Again not much you can do,even the best QBs get their passes knocked down.

Late 3rd Quarter: Jets down 20-13

Ball at 50 yard line after Leon Washington had a 19 yard run off right tackle. Pennington fails to find a clear window to the throw his attempted backwards pass. Ball is tipped by Rosevelt Colvin who was being blocked by Dbrick. Pennington fails to realize, for all his smarts, that the ball is still live and is a fumble. Wilfork picks up the ball and runs to the 15 yard line. Jets defense does the job and limits the Pats to a field goal. This was a crucial drive in the game as the Jets were gaining momentum only to have Chad throw it all away on ironically, a backwards pass.

Jets down 23-13

People need to realise that this is essentially a run play and not a pass play.This play doesn't work if Chad stops and checks that no-one is in the throwing lane,if he doesn't throw the ball straight away then the receiver will be covered by the time he throws it and that means either an interception if he threw it or a sack seeing how there was no drop back.This is just one of those situations where you didn't really do anything wrong it's just that the other team made a great play,Colvin had probably seen that play on film and knew to get his hands up.You could perhaps say we called this play one too many times but I think you've just got to raise your hands and say that was a good play by the pats.Sadly this was the momentum changer.

You also can't blame Chad for not picking up the fumble,not only was he too far away but Wilfork was the only person on both teams to realise it was a fumble.The only Jet you could really blame is D'Brick but you can't really blame a rookie for that.

4th Quarter, 5 minutes left: Jets down 30-13

Down by 2 scores, the feeling is grim amongst Jets fans as they have never once had their QB lead them to victory when down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter his entire career. Pennington attempts to throw a 15 yard out - Samuel waits on the pass intended for Justin McCareins, jumps the route picks it off and runs it back for a touchdown. Game over. Jets lose 37-16

Come on,you're not honestly saying our quarterback should of brought us back from this.The game was over by this point and Chad knew it,he had to try and make something happened but he got picked off.It's happened to better QB before.

Somehow you knew it was going to come down to Chad. Eventhough young lad Barton was just asking who we thought played way it has ONCE AGAIN turned into a Chad p!ssing contest.

Like I said earlier. NO ONE PLAYED WELL THAT DAY.

That goes for

Chad

Vilma

Rhodes

Mangold

The whole F'n got their lunch handed to them by a better team.

Pop Quiz....How many games have the Pats lost in the post season at home ?

(Alk: you cannot answer this one) :P

I'll give you a hint. It is the same amount of wins the 2007 Red Sox have today.

Mangini got everything he could possibly get out of that group. Hopefully next year we get some more.

That was Barton's sole intention.

If Chad had lofted the ball then it would have been fine but he fired it directly at Colvin.

It was a bad throw.

Your asking for that ball to be picked off if you put enough arc on that pass to get it over Colvin,Remember Cotchery is in the slot,you put too much arc on that ball and the corner on the outside could react to it.It's a risky play and sadly we got burned on it.

Your asking for that ball to be picked off if you put enough arc on that pass to get it over Colvin,Remember Cotchery is in the slot,you put too much arc on that ball and the corner on the outside could react to it.It's a risky play and sadly we got burned on it.

if we had a qb that could throw the ball to the sideline on a line we wouldn't need to run that ****ty ****ing play 8 times every game and we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.

Archived