Looking at the last game we played (Jets/Pats) playoff game

Barton

raffyD,

I hate to be the one to break it to you but You are absolutely Dead Wrong.

If that pass was in front of the line of scrimmage and it was batted down it would have been an incomplete pass, nothing more.

And the Jets would have still retained possession of the ball, it would have been 2nd and 10 on the 48.

He is not wrong. The being behind the LOS is irrelevant. A forward pass would be incomplete. A pass parralel or backwards would be a lateral and cannot be incomplete. It's a live ball. That play did not call for being thrown beyond the LOS. If it did then you should be blaming Cotchery for taking a step back. You can complain about the play call, but to complain about Chad's execution, you either think he should look and eat the ball or audible off it based on the D formation. The angle of the pass was as the play is drawn up.

My team always called the play a "Bob Hayes" after the world's fastest man who was a killer with those wr screens. Good part is that nobody has known who Bob Hayes is/was for the last 10+ years, so we could call it out at the LOS if the db gave a big cushion and nobody would know what we were talking about.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is not wrong. The being behind the LOS is irrelevant. A forward pass would be incomplete. A pass parralel or backwards would be a lateral and cannot be incomplete. It's a live ball.

RE-READ what I said Dominator.

I hate to be the one to break it to you but You are absolutely Dead Wrong.

If that pass was in front of the line of scrimmage and it was batted down it would have been an incomplete pass, nothing more.

And the Jets would have still retained possession of the ball, it would have been 2nd and 10 on the 48.

We are making the same exact point.

Conversely that's not what raffyD was saying:

You do realize that any ball thrown parallel to the LOS would be a fumble right? Regardless if its in front or behind the LOS, it's still a fumble if parallel.

That's a completely false statement on raffyD's part.

His point is not wrong. A lateral is a live ball whether it is done behind the LOS (play in question) or downfield (Cal Band play). If the pass were thrown in front of the LOS it would have been a dead ball, but it also would not have been a lateral, parralel to the LOS or a wr screen. Period. That play does not involve the ball crossing the LOS. You are claiming his point is wrong, but it is not. Just as if it were thrown forward it would be incomplete. These two truths can coexist. Just so that you know I understand the rules: A forward pass thrown from beyond the LOS is also not a live ball (fumble) but is illegal and will result in a penalty.

If I don't know what you are talking about I'm sorry, but you'd have to explain it better.

If it were that simple, teams would just "stop the running game" during the regular season. The Jets couldn't run the ball in the playoffs because they couldn't run the ball all year. If we had a running game that forced the Pats to switch their D to stop it your point might have some merit, but they did nothing special to stop our running game. Chad had nothing to do with that.

Fair point but over the course of a 16 game season you generally play more than a few defenses who just completely suck vs the run (packers, texans, bills etc etc). These teams dont make the playoffs but the teams that do I feel make stopping the run the #1 priority.

Just look at 2004. We had a great rushing attack that year but vs the Steelers they took it away and forced Chad to beat them and he could not.

I firmly believe a passing game is far more important than a running game in the playoffs. If you can throw the ball, you'll be able to run the ball by settng up the run with the pass. But being able to run the ball in the reg season doesnt mean you'll be able to run the ball in the playoffs. I believe you need to throw the ball to win in the playoffs jmo because more than likely you'll not be able to run the ball with great success because no defensive coordinator is gonna allow it. Nobody wants to get beaten vs the run, thats why they gear up for the run vs the Jets despite us having just Leon and Barlow back there in 2006.

So what I am saying is, I do not think Thomas Jones will be of any significant difference in the playoffs for us as long as Chad Pennington is our QB. Teams dont respect our passing game and they will gear up to stuff our running game and Thomas Jones wont make a difference. jmo

All I know about that game is our offensive and defensive fronts got pushed back all day long. WE NEED TO GET BIGGER & STRONGER AT THE POINT OF ATTACK ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL! Personally I will not be happy unless we are the ones pushing around the patriots lines all day long. Look at that game tape and you will see. I dont wanna hear about a outside linebacker a cornerback a te. I want Tangini & CO. to show us the BEEF!

In this order DT,RT,DE,G. That is all.

So what I am saying is, I do not think Thomas Jones will be of any significant difference in the playoffs for us as long as Chad Pennington is our QB. Teams dont respect our passing game and they will gear up to stuff our running game and Thomas Jones wont make a difference. jmo

You make it sound like the only change for next year will be Jones. IMO, its highly likely we have a new gaurd, or RT, which would take some more weight off the QB, regardless of who that is.

You have a good point about running during the season, as upposed to the playoffs. I personally think penny can do the job with some more help in the running game even in the playoffs. Indy fans were saying the same thing of peyton until they got their running game going, especally against the pats.

Fair point but over the course of a 16 game season you generally play more than a few defenses who just completely suck vs the run (packers, texans, bills etc etc). These teams dont make the playoffs but the teams that do I feel make stopping the run the #1 priority.

Just look at 2004. We had a great rushing attack that year but vs the Steelers they took it away and forced Chad to beat them and he could not.

I firmly believe a passing game is far more important than a running game in the playoffs. If you can throw the ball, you'll be able to run the ball by settng up the run with the pass. But being able to run the ball in the reg season doesnt mean you'll be able to run the ball in the playoffs. I believe you need to throw the ball to win in the playoffs jmo because more than likely you'll not be able to run the ball with great success because no defensive coordinator is gonna allow it. Nobody wants to get beaten vs the run, thats why they gear up for the run vs the Jets despite us having just Leon and Barlow back there in 2006.

I don't necessarily disagree. I could nitpick a few of your minor points, but I don't have much of a problem with the general idea. I still don't blame Chad. He is what he is. A few pages ago someone (you?) blamed Chad for the loss because winning with no running game is what great qbs do. Chad is not a great qb. I happen to think he is a good one. Not a very good one. During the season, against crappier teams, it's easier to win on scheme and trickery. In the playoffs, weaknesses are magnified. Chad's and the rest of the team.

If Thomas Jones performs well all season and forces teams to gear up to stuff our running game he will have made a difference. He also will have put it on Chad's shoulder(s). Pennington is not the type of qb that can drag a ****ty team kicking and screaming to a playoff win. He needs the running game to force the D to play the run. Last year the Jets had a piss poor running game and that increased the pressure on Pennington. I think the lack of running game and pressing (ie Chicago game) caused many of the ints. At least I hope that's the case.

I don't necessarily disagree. I could nitpick a few of your minor points, but I don't have much of a problem with the general idea. I still don't blame Chad. He is what he is. A few pages ago someone (you?) blamed Chad for the loss because winning with no running game is what great qbs do. Chad is not a great qb. I happen to think he is a good one. Not a very good one. During the season, against crappier teams, it's easier to win on scheme and trickery. In the playoffs, weaknesses are magnified. Chad's and the rest of the team.

If Thomas Jones performs well all season and forces teams to gear up to stuff our running game he will have made a difference. He also will have put it on Chad's shoulder(s). Pennington is not the type of qb that can drag a ****ty team kicking and screaming to a playoff win. He needs the running game to force the D to play the run. Last year the Jets had a piss poor running game and that increased the pressure on Pennington. I think the lack of running game and pressing (ie Chicago game) caused many of the ints. At least I hope that's the case.

With our easy schedule last year, we still went 10-6 without much of a rushing attack.

But I definitely agree Jones was a nice pickup, and as we head into 2007 facing a tougher schedule, he will be an upgrade over what we had last year in the regular season.

All I know about that game is our offensive and defensive fronts got pushed back all day long. WE NEED TO GET BIGGER & STRONGER AT THE POINT OF ATTACK ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL! Personally I will not be happy unless we are the ones pushing around the patriots lines all day long. Look at that game tape and you will see. I dont wanna hear about a outside linebacker a cornerback a te. I want Tangini & CO. to show us the BEEF!

In this order DT,RT,DE,G. That is all.

Excellent Point !!!!

To win in the playoffs you MUST control the line of scrimmage.

Just take a look at the Jets playoff games where Chad is the QB

1) 2002 Colts: Jets dominate on both sides of the ball destroy the Colts

2) 2002 Raiders: Raiders take control of the line in the second half Jets lose.

3) 2004 Chargers: Jets once again dominate the line and wear down the Chargers. Jets win.

4) 2004 Steelers: Steelers destroy the Jets OL. Defense picks up after switching to a 3 lineman 5 LB set to confuse Roethlisberger. Jets still lose.

5) 2005 Patriots: Once again the Pats control the Line. Pats win.

It is the most important part of the game. If you control the line you win probably 90-95% of the games.

You know we all laughed at the Pats when the drafted Logan Mankins. Now we know why the Pats took him. He is mean, physical O-lineman. The Jets OL still needs to get those kind of guys.

I agree 27 - it's not all on Chad if we lose. Chad didn't lose the game - but Chad's contributions, from a very key offensive position, aren't enough to win the game. Hard tellin what Jones is going to be able to do. Pretty safe bet the box is still going to be stacked on the run due to lack of respect for Pennington's abilitys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raffyD

You do realize that any ball thrown parallel to the LOS would be a fumble right? Regardless if its in front or behind the LOS, it's still a fumble if parallel.

Looks like I went to bed a little too early last night. :yawn:

Thanks 27 for taking care of this, I didn't feel like explaining what parallel meant. I honestly don't think kids play football anymore, or at least pay attention in math class.

27, still in Italy btw? I miss the food and the ladies, take some more pics with your cell cam.;)

And another thing. Mangold and Dbrick clearly had hit the rookie wall in this game, if not 3 weeks earlier.

Mangold wasnt 100% healthy either. So I think the dominance of the pats Dline had more to do with them being seasoned vets and our guys like Mangold and Brick being rookies. That was a factor. Remember when we beat the pats? Mangold took Wilfork to school and Brick was solid as well, but that was week 10. Fast forward to week 18 (playoffs) and Mangold and Brick were just exhausted.

I expect Mangold and Brick to be stronger later in the season then they were last year. Still, we need better guard play and a RT who can move people. Doesnt mean we need to rush in line with our 1st rd pick and take Blalock. We can get some Olineman in the 2nd, 3rd rd and even later.

And another thing. Mangold and Dbrick clearly had hit the rookie wall in this game, if not 3 weeks earlier.

Mangold wasnt 100% healthy either. So I think the dominance of the pats Dline had more to do with them being seasoned vets and our guys like Mangold and Brick being rookies. That was a factor. Remember when we beat the pats? Mangold took Wilfork to school and Brick was solid as well, but that was week 10. Fast forward to week 18 (playoffs) and Mangold and Brick were just exhausted.

I expect Mangold and Brick to be stronger later in the season then they were last year. Still, we need better guard play and a RT who can move people. Doesnt mean we need to rush in line with our 1st rd pick and take Blalock. We can get some Olineman in the 2nd, 3rd rd and even later.

Not to change topics, but taking a gaurd/tackle passed the second round means they probably won't be a contributor right away. Its not that worst scenerio out there, but i'd prefer to fill that gap for 07 with a first round pick.

Mangold and Brick will be a lot better towards the end of the season in 07. my bet is on brick for most improved Jet.

You do realize that the 77 yard pass to Cotchery went about 15 yards in the air.

The bottom line is that Brady threw 2 TD's with no picks while Chad threw 1 TD with a pick (for 6 the other way) and also turned it over on a boneheaded play.

Sacks? Are you kidding me?

Gainzo being a great QB doesnt mean throwing the Bomb, being the great QB mean finding that guy open 15 yards down field with a lane to run in front of him, then getting him the ball at just the right time for him to make the play... if Chad waits 2 seconds longer to throw that ball Cotch might not have gone anywhere... Cotch did the running but Chad set him up.

Teams take away your running game first and foremost in the playoffs, and unless you have Ladanian Tomlinson, the running game wont be a big time factor.

You need to throw the ball to win in the playoffs. Even the 2004 pittsburgh steelers threw the ball to win in the playoffs. They set up their running game by throwing the ball, not vica versa.

We need a QB who can do these things. Chad isnt capable.

Barton you fail to realise that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady dont grow on Trees... we have a good QB in Chad Pennington and as long as Mangini keeps him on top of the depth chart he is capable in his eyes, thats all that matters... you know squat about Chad compared to Mangini... Mangini has now coached against him and for him, and still trusts him.

Barton you find the JETS an upgrade over Chad and then we can talk, but just blindly jumping on the Clemens bandwagon becuase you hate Chad is ignorant... the kid has never played an NFL game and we have some well respected coaches that havent been afraid to make changes that dont think he is ready yet.

Instead of playing backseat coach, why dont you support our coach who knows Chad Pennington better than anyone here, and trusts him.

Because he's being objective, not a blind Chad loyalist.

I'm sick of it Kentucky, I hope Clemens gets a shot to start at some point this season.

Are you kidding? Think before you type please... your being a blind Clemens fan and not trusting Mangini to make the decision to have the best QB play. When/If Clemens is better than Chad you can rest assured Mangini will play him, until then stop your blind hatred in Chad, and your blind faith in Clemens.

Gainzo being a great QB doesnt mean throwing the Bomb, being the great QB mean finding that guy open 15 yards down field with a lane to run in front of him, then getting him the ball at just the right time for him to make the play... if Chad waits 2 seconds longer to throw that ball Cotch might not have gone anywhere... Cotch did the running but Chad set him up.

Barton you fail to realise that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady dont grow on Trees... we have a good QB in Chad Pennington and as long as Mangini keeps him on top of the depth chart he is capable in his eyes, thats all that matters... you know squat about Chad compared to Mangini... Mangini has now coached against him and for him, and still trusts him.

Barton you find the JETS an upgrade over Chad and then we can talk, but just blindly jumping on the Clemens bandwagon becuase you hate Chad is ignorant... the kid has never played an NFL game and we have some well respected coaches that havent been afraid to make changes that dont think he is ready yet.

Instead of playing backseat coach, why dont you support our coach who knows Chad Pennington better than anyone here, and trusts him.

Are you kidding? Think before you type please... your being a blind Clemens fan and not trusting Mangini to make the decision to have the best QB play. When/If Clemens is better than Chad you can rest assured Mangini will play him, until then stop your blind hatred in Chad, and your blind faith in Clemens.

No I'm not kidding.

Pennington is the savvy veteran, no doubt and I'll support him as long as Mangini see's fit to start him but I will be doing friggin' cartwheels the day that Clemens gets the nod and that day is closer than alot of you are willing to admit.

We all know too well, that Chad is just one hit away from being out for the season.

That being said, Clemens has 5 x the physical ability that Chad has and it's just a matter of time before Clemens mental grasp of the offense catches up to his physical ability.

No I'm not kidding.

Pennington is the savvy veteran, no doubt and I'll support him as long as Mangini see's fit to start him but I will be doing friggin' cartwheels the day that Clemens gets the nod and that day is closer than alot of you are willing to admit.

We all know too well, that Chad is just one hit away from being out for the season.

That being said, Clemens has 5 x the physical ability that Chad has and it's just a matter of time before Clemens mental grasp of the offense catches up to his physical ability.

Please bring the ARodKeyKeyWestJetsFan from JI we all came to know and love and accepted. ;)

Are Tom Brady and Peyton Manning the only QBs capable of winning superbowls, ecurb?

I'm not saying you need Brady or Peyton to win a superbowl am I?

No I am not. But we need a better QB than Chad Pennington. And I'm not gonna sit here and pretend everything is peachy because Pennington was our starting QB last year when he threw for 17 tds, 16 ints and 20 turnovers.

I still cant get it outa my head that you actually think Mangini came here in 2006 in a quote "win now mode". You're so desperate to cling on to Chad Pennington as the Jets saviour its pathetic.

I am making no guarantees about Clemens. I even have my doubts about how he'll pan out, so I'm not putting blind faith in him. But I do know this - he has the skills of a QB capable of winning a superbowl. Chad just does not.

Because he's being objective, not a blind Chad loyalist.

No, he is a Chad hater like yourself

Watch what chad does this year with a running game.....you'll see because your boy Clemens will not bew under center once again

Are Tom Brady and Peyton Manning the only QBs capable of winning superbowls, ecurb?

No I am not. But we need a better QB than Chad Pennington. And I'm not gonna sit here and pretend everything is peachy because Pennington was our starting QB last year when he threw for 17 tds, 16 ints and 20 turnovers.

I still cant get it outa my head that you actually think Mangini came here in 2006 in a quote "win now mode". You're so desperate to cling on to Chad Pennington as the Jets saviour its pathetic.

I am making no guarantees about Clemens. I even have my doubts about how he'll pan out, so I'm not putting blind faith in him. But I do know this - he has the skills of a QB capable of winning a superbowl. Chad just does not.

Please list those skills. I'd love to see what you have to say beyond laser rocket arm and quick feet so that we can all finally know what the magical skill set of an NFL QB must be in order to win a superbowl.

Chad showed in 06' that his injuries were freak hits, he took some monster hits and only missed a couple of plays... 06' proved that he can be durable, maybe it was the new trainers, we dont know, but something changed that made Chad more durable last year.

Im not saying you need Peyton or Tom to win the superbowl, that was my entire point... Chad can win a superbowl as the JETS starting QB... I was trying to explain to you that not every team has a Brady or Manning... Chad is a Starting caliber NFL QB and with the right team around him he can get it done... hopefully with TJ and some defensive upgrades this season he can do it.

Is there a choice? I'm excited. Chad never had a running before. Wow. Can't wait.

Let me add to that then...

Lets see what Chad does with the following... he is bound do do better than 06' which should mean some playoff wins...

- a good running game not based on 1 RB (Martin) who is fed the ball for 3-4 yards per play... but instead 2 RB's one who can break some huge runs (leon) and one who can wear down the line (TJ) all while keeping their legs fresh by sharing the ball.

- a real head coach

- 2 years in a row with a good OC, he will only get closer and learn more... can only lead to good things...

- 2 starting caliber WR's in Coles and Cotch with BSmith being a good threat as well...

- 2 rookie O-linemen with a year under their belt...

- a real FB not BJ Askew...

- A defense that can hopefully stop the other team in the 4th Q of games

These are all upgrades that Chad has/can have this season... considering his track record of winning games and making the playoffs... I would like to see how far we can go in the playoffs with all of these upgrades... because IMO... with those upgrades we at least would have beatin the Pats last year...

Please list those skills. I'd love to see what you have to say beyond laser rocket arm and quick feet so that we can all finally know what the magical skill set of an NFL QB must be in order to win a superbowl.

• He's got good enough size at 6'2. We've seen Favre and Brees show they can win at this height. Montana was 6'2 as well. Kellen is strongly built if you've never really gotten to see him play, he's got a good build to him.
  • Mobility - Kellen is very mobile and can move around to do some things that Pennington cannot do. (It seems like the Jets like these QBs as they also signed a similar athlete at the position to be our 3rd QB Tuisiaisopo)
  • Arm Strength - Kellen can make all the throws, ones that Chad can only dream of making.
  • Smarts - Kellen was called the smartest QB in last years draft by many coaches (see nypost article in the debate thread between me and ecurb). Is said to pick up a playbook very fast (did it in college with different offensive systems his JR to SR year) and is also great on the chalkboard diagnosing plays

Now the smarts is the key. How well he reads coverages ON THE FIELD and disects them is the key. His accuracy is a non issue, he is an accurate passer. The only thing he has not proven that we do not know for sure is how well he can read coverages and pick them apart in the NFL - this is the one area where there is an unkown to Clemens, which is why I am not gonna put blind faith in him. But he is smart enough to do it, he's not a dumb rock thats for sure. And he has all other skills that we know he has - arm strength, mobility, size. He's a strong QB, not a frail guy like say Brodie Croyle

Its anybodys guess to how he does on the field, but he has the skillset. That is undeniable.

Yeah okay Arod....you are the one being objective....you, one of the members of the Kellen Clemens pom pom club

I still am, Clemens is the future of this franchise whether you want to admit it or not.

And unlike you, I don't have to put an imaginary fish in my avatar there big guy.

That's the difference between being a realistic Clemens fan, and being a blind Chad dreamer.

• He's got good enough size at 6'2. We've seen Favre and Brees show they can win at this height. Montana was 6'2 as well. Kellen is strongly built if you've never really gotten to see him play, he's got a good build to him.
  • Mobility - Kellen is very mobile and can move around to do some things that Pennington cannot do. (It seems like the Jets like these QBs as they also signed a similar athlete at the position to be our 3rd QB Tuisiaisopo)
  • Arm Strength - Kellen can make all the throws, ones that Chad can only dream of making.
  • Smarts - Kellen was called the smartest QB in last years draft by many coaches (see nypost article in the debate thread between me and ecurb). Is said to pick up a playbook very fast (did it in college with different offensive systems his JR to SR year) and is also great on the chalkboard diagnosing plays

Now the smarts is the key. How well he reads coverages ON THE FIELD and disects them is the key. His accuracy is a non issue, he is an accurate passer.

Its anybodys guess to how he does on the field, but he has the skillset. That is undeniable.

Brad Smith has about the same size, is mobile, can make throws, and is pretty smart... doesnt mean he should be the JETS starting QB...

ALl of those things are great, but every QB drafted in rounds 1-3 should have those skills... sadly not many of them turn out to be anything great... its up to the coaches to see how he uses those skills, but until then you should stop tryign to dig Chad's grave while Mangini still likes him as the JETS QB.

Brad Smith has about the same size, is mobile, can make throws, and is pretty smart... doesnt mean he should be the JETS starting QB...

ALl of those things are great, but every QB drafted in rounds 1-3 should have those skills... sadly not many of them turn out to be anything great... its up to the coaches to see how he uses those skills, but until then you should stop tryign to dig Chad's grave while Mangini still likes him as the JETS QB.

Nice job comparing Brad Smith to an actual QB. Really.

Smith cannot make all the throws, thats where you are wrong. He's a sh#tty passer and is not accurate at all.

Nice comparison.

I'll dig chads grave all I want. Thats my right. Tuff sh#t if you dont like it as I do not care.

And until Mangini names Chad the opening day starter you can STFU AND STOP TRYING TO PASS THAT OFF AS A FACT!

Let me add to that then...

Lets see what Chad does with the following... he is bound do do better than 06' which should mean some playoff wins...

Chad can't complete the passes he needs to eC. That doesn't equate to play-off games let alone play-off wins for next year.

Nice job comparing Brad Smith to an actual QB. Really.

Smith cannot make all the throws, thats where you are wrong. He's a sh#tty passer and is not accurate at all.

Nice comparison.

HE can make the throws but would need to be more accurate... I know Smith isnt a starting caliber QB... just saying that when you base things off of workouts and college you cant figure out squat... on paper Smith looks like he could be the next Vick... Throw for 3000 rush for 1000... THe only way to judge Clemens is based on what the coaches do with him and watching him play NFL football... so until then you have a blind love for the guy...

I'll dig chads grave all I want. Thats my right. Tuff sh#t if you dont like it as I do not care.

And until Mangini names Chad the open day starter you can STFU AND STOP TRYING TO PASS THAT OFF AS A FACT!

It just makes me sad that a fellow JETS fan cannot enjoy JETS football as much as I do...

HE can make the throws but would need to be more accurate... I know Smith isnt a starting caliber QB... just saying that when you base things off of workouts and college you cant figure out squat... on paper Smith looks like he could be the next Vick... Throw for 3000 rush for 1000... THe only way to judge Clemens is based on what the coaches do with him and watching him play NFL football... so until then you have a blind love for the guy...

It just makes me sad that a fellow JETS fan cannot enjoy JETS football as much as I do...

Brad Smith was drafted as a wide receiver for a reason. He's not a real QB, so I dont know how you get off comparing him to Clemens.....

It just makes me sad that fellow JETS fan cannot understand that I am right on this.

I am going to bump up every last muthereffing thread about chad once he is benched for Clemens. Page 1 in the forum will contain a bumped up thread after another, get ready.

I still am, Clemens is the future of this franchise whether you want to admit it or not.

And unlike you, I don't have to put an imaginary fish in my avatar there big guy.

That's the difference between being a realistic Clemens fan, and being a blind Chad dreamer.

Got a Blue and a White,,,,,so how bout' dat!!:character0293:

Archived