Looking at the last game we played (Jets/Pats) playoff game

Barton

Why single out that play? I'm pretty much pissed at Kassell for 2006.

I only watched 5 Jets games last year. The 3 against the Pats plus the Colts and 2nd Dolphins game.

Has Kassell been cut yet? He stinks!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm quite surprised that you hate Chad despite believing he was behind our inventive playcalling this year.

Inventive playcalling or inventive formations and shifts and offensive system? :)

From what I understand, Schott gives Pennington a few plays to choose from and Pennington chooses one and can audible at the line. Not sure if they allow Pennington to choose the plays before he goes to the line or they allow him to choose the different audibles at the line on the call that was dictated by Schott.........either way Pennington has alot of freedom at the line of scrimmage to call his own plays.

The different formations, shifts and the past paced tempo of our no huddle offense masked the deficiences of our offensive personnel. Chad included.

Chad seemed to do a solid job calling the plays, but executing it was another issue. 17 TDs to 20 turnovers (16 INTs) doesnt exactly put a feather in Chads cap. jmo.

Chad would be a great backup QB if his ego could take it.

i'm too tired to read 8 pages

and what the hell was brian schotenhiemer doin.

Its only 3 if you change your setting to 40 posts per page :)

SHotty was giving chad an entire gameplan of plays to use in certain situations... he draws the plays up during the week and Chad calls them and gets them done on Sunday... thats why he was in the no huddle so much.

I understand how the play is meant to work as the Pats have been running the same play since 2001.

Chad didn't make the correct read at the line of scrimmage and decided to run the called play. He should have called an audible or thrown the ball into the stands.

Nothing ticks me off more than QB's making boneheaded plays on 1st down.

Again I don't think the line of scrimmage deserved an audible,the only reason the play was battered down was because Colvin actually jumped andgot his hands in the air not because he was line up on the outside.Even if he was lined up on D'Brick,the play could of still been broken up if Colvin jumped and got his hands.

And come on,no team moves guys about and fakes what they are doing on a play than the pats.If you're going to change your play because a guy is showing rush then you would be audibling every playat the line of scrimmage against the pats.

Again I don't think the line of scrimmage deserved an audible,the only reason the play was battered down was because Colvin actually jumped andgot his hands in the air not because he was line up on the outside.Even if he was lined up on D'Brick,the play could of still been broken up if Colvin jumped and got his hands.

And come on,no team moves guys about and fakes what they are doing on a play than the pats.If you're going to change your play because a guy is showing rush then you would be audibling every playat the line of scrimmage against the pats.

Great point Ten.

Its only 3 if you change your setting to 40 posts per page :)

SHotty was giving chad an entire gameplan of plays to use in certain situations... he draws the plays up during the week and Chad calls them and gets them done on Sunday... thats why he was in the no huddle so much.

aactully schotty gives him 2 or 3 play per drive and they keep changing formations to confuse the defense

Inventive playcalling or inventive formations and shifts and offensive system? :)

From what I understand, Schott gives Pennington a few plays to choose from and Pennington chooses one and can audible at the line. Not sure if they allow Pennington to choose the plays before he goes to the line or they allow him to choose the different audibles at the line on the call that was dictated by Schott.........either way Pennington has alot of freedom at the line of scrimmage to call his own plays.

The different formations, shifts and the past paced tempo of our no huddle offense masked the deficiences of our offensive personnel. Chad included.

Chad seemed to do a solid job calling the plays, but executing it was another issue. 17 TDs to 20 turnovers (16 INTs) doesnt exactly put a feather in Chads cap. jmo.

Chad would be a great backup QB if his ego could take it.

If he does call his own plays then you have to expect that there are going to be some bad calls,calling Chad out for the bad play alls where our play calling has been very good is like calling out A QB for throwing an incomplete pass or a batter not hitting a pitch,no-one goes 100%.

Either way it should be a none issue in terms of who is to blame,we can think and reckon all we want but none of us actually know who calls the plays.Like I said before though,this is a risky play to run and Colvin knew to get his hands up,I do believe we ran this play one too many times.

If he does call his own plays then you have to expect that there are going to be some bad calls,calling Chad out for the bad play alls where our play calling has been very good is like calling out A QB for throwing an incomplete pass or a batter not hitting a pitch,no-one goes 100%.

Either way it should be a none issue in terms of who is to blame,we can think and reckon all we want but none of us actually know who calls the plays.Like I said before though,this is a risky play to run and Colvin knew to get his hands up,I do believe we ran this play one too many times.

No doubt about that. It was actually the 2nd time we attempted to run this play, the first was successful.

Stupid decision to run that play, whoevers decision that was I'm not sure, but I do believe Chad gets the final say at the LOS.

I'm all tapped out right now. I need to go recharge my chad hating energy.

I only watched 5 Jets games last year. The 3 against the Pats plus the Colts and 2nd Dolphins game.

Has Kassell been cut yet? He stinks!

Kassell did a solid job against the pats in the first game,he didn't make any big plays but he could at least take on a guard unlike Vilma and Barton,he did a good job of stuffing a hole on a few run plays in that game.

He's a guy who I plan to keep an eye as I suspect he wasn't as bad as most people say,you know how jet fans tend to over react to players who we sign in free agency.

Kassell did a solid job against the pats in the first game,he didn't make any big plays but he could at least take on a guard unlike Vilma and Barton,he did a good job of stuffing a hole on a few run plays in that game.

He's a guy who I plan to keep an eye as I suspect he wasn't as bad as most people say,you know how jet fans tend to over react to players who we sign in free agency.

My lasting memory of Kassell was his decision to bite on the play-action pass with 2 seconds left in the 1st half of the playoff game.

There was no way in the world that the Pats were going to run on that play as they had no timeouts left.

I didn't see his body of work for the season so my opinion is obviously one-sided.

No doubt about that. It was actually the 2nd time we attempted to run this play, the first was successful.

Stupid decision to run that play, whoevers decision that was I'm not sure, but I do believe Chad gets the final say at the LOS.

I'm all tapped out right now. I need to go recharge my chad hating energy.

I wouldn't say it was stupid to call that lay again but I would say we pushed our luck too far,it's a clever little play when you think about it.

My lasting memory of Kassell was his decision to bite on the play-action pass with 2 seconds left in the 1st half of the playoff game.

There was no way in the world that the Pats were going to run on that play as they had no timeouts left.

I didn't see his body of work for the season so my opinion is obviously one-sided.

Indeed it was a bad play but I wasn't thrilled that he was in there in the first place,we all knew his strength was run stopping and not coverage.We should of had a different package in there imo.

Kassell may very well not be as bad as most people say. It would hard to be that bad. He is not a playmaker and made several major blunders throughout the season. Bad combo. He showed absolutely no sign of deserving a start, but I guess we did need some rotation. All in all, a guy I'd be happy to replace on the roster, but maybe not a complete horror.

Indeed it was a bad play but I wasn't thrilled that he was in there in the first place,we all knew his strength was run stopping and not coverage.We should of had a different package in there imo.

After reading the press coverage after the game Mangini stressed to the D not to fall for the play-action fake. I guess Kassell missed that memo!

Kassell may very well not be as bad as most people say. It would hard to be that bad. He is not a playmaker and made several major blunders throughout the season. Bad combo. He showed absolutely no sign of deserving a start, but I guess we did need some rotation. All in all, a guy I'd be happy to replace on the roster, but maybe not a complete horror.

To be fair though,it's not as if Vilma and Barton were playmakers last year either.

After reading the press coverage after the game Mangini stressed to the D not to fall for the play-action fake. I guess Kassell missed that memo!

Aye it was a horrible play by Kassel,but I do feel he gets a lot of stick which isn't all justified.I mean New England did march 80 yards in that drive,it seems unfair for only Kassel to get the blame for that TD.

EDIT-I swear to god I'm not related to Kassel in anyway.

Aye it was a horrible play by Kassel,but I do feel he gets a lot of stick which isn't all justified.I mean New England did march 80 yards in that drive,it seems unfair for only Kassel to get the blame for that TD.

EDIT-I swear to god I'm not related to Kassel in anyway.

It's okay. Ecurb has Chad, Gibbon has Schlegel, you have Kassel. It could have been worse.

Chad Pennington single handedly pissed away 10 points to the New England Patriots in our 37-16 loss.

He also was 0 for 3 in the redzone, settling for field goals when we needed touchdowns.

Not good enough.

hey did i imagine that 2nd qtr 77 yd reception for td from chad to cotchery? a 3 play drive that covered 80 yds @ 14.45 game clock?

chads performance was as follows (compared to brady's)

chad brady

277 yds passing 200 yds passing

24-41 comp/att 22-34 comp/att

6.3 average yds per pass 5.7 average yds per pass

1 passing td 2 passing td

3-22 sack yds lost 1-12 sack yds lost

1 pass intercepted 0 pass intercepted

the other turn over was ruled a fumble.

with the exception of the pick (chad) and the 3 sacks (o line) chads performance was not that bad, i wonder what the outcome could of been without those sacks?

to me the game seems to be a team sport.

hey did i imagine that 2nd qtr 77 yd reception for td from chad to cotchery? a 3 play drive that covered 80 yds @ 14.45 game clock?

chads performance was as follows (compared to brady's)

chad brady

277 yds passing 200 yds passing

24-41 comp/att 22-34 comp/att

6.3 average yds per pass 5.7 average yds per pass

1 passing td 2 passing td

3-22 sack yds lost 1-12 sack yds lost

1 pass intercepted 0 pass intercepted

the other turn over was ruled a fumble.

with the exception of the pick (chad) and the 3 sacks (o line) chads performance was not that bad, i wonder what the outcome could of been without those sacks?

to me the game seems to be a team sport.

You do realize that the 77 yard pass to Cotchery went about 15 yards in the air.

The bottom line is that Brady threw 2 TD's with no picks while Chad threw 1 TD with a pick (for 6 the other way) and also turned it over on a boneheaded play.

Sacks? Are you kidding me?

Alot of good points on both sides..

Gainzo though hits it pretty much on the head with Vilma and Cassell.

If Vilma goes for the kill instead of the strip who know what happens. It is a peeve of mine that too many guys are go for the strip instead of the tackle.

Vilma had Brady dead in his sights and should have blasted him into the third row.

Cassell same thing. No time outs why are you biting on a fake ?

Alot of mistakes from a team that couldn't afford to make any mistakes.

Alot of good points on both sides..

Gainzo though hits it pretty much on the head with Vilma and Cassell.

If Vilma goes for the kill instead of the strip who know what happens. It is a peeve of mine that too many guys are go for the strip instead of the tackle.

Vilma had Brady dead in his sights and should have blasted him into the third row.

Cassell same thing. No time outs why are you biting on a fake ?

Alot of mistakes from a team that couldn't afford to make any mistakes.

I know Vilma is a proud guy and he must still be kicking himself over that play.

He had a clear run at Brady and decided to go for the strip instead of knocking Brady into next week.

If he ever does an internet chat I'm sure he would agree with me if anyone asked that question.

Kassel? That was just a bad play. At least Vilma tried to make something happen.

Chad Pennington single handedly pissed away 10 points to the New England Patriots in our 37-16 loss.

He also was 0 for 3 in the redzone, settling for field goals when we needed touchdowns.

Not good enough.

You do realize that the 77 yard pass to Cotchery went about 15 yards in the air.

The bottom line is that Brady threw 2 TD's with no picks while Chad threw 1 TD with a pick (for 6 the other way) and also turned it over on a boneheaded play.

Sacks? Are you kidding me?

yes i realize the 77 yard was total yard passed and ran, i was pointing out that he did have a td, people spew opinions as facts in arguements, it just wasnt chad that cost us the game as other points have been made (vima). i expect the upcoming season to be greatly improved from last year.

Not good enough.

Barton

How the FUCCCK can you pin the loss of the game on Chad when you have ZERO running game that day

Wake the fucccck up

Barton

How the FUCCCK can you pin the loss of the game on Chad when you have ZERO running game that day

Wake the fucccck up

Because thats what great QB's do, win when the chips are down.

We didn't have a running game all season. Didn't stop the Jets from being a playoff team.

Barton

Wake the fucccck up

Teams take away your running game first and foremost in the playoffs, and unless you have Ladanian Tomlinson, the running game wont be a big time factor.

You need to throw the ball to win in the playoffs. Even the 2004 pittsburgh steelers threw the ball to win in the playoffs. They set up their running game by throwing the ball, not vica versa.

We need a QB who can do these things. Chad isnt capable.

Teams take away your running game first and foremost in the playoffs, and unless you have Ladanian Tomlinson, the running game wont be a big time factor.

You need to throw the ball to win in the playoffs. Even the 2004 pittsburgh steelers threw the ball to win in the playoffs. They set up their running game by throwing the ball, not vica versa.

are you kidding? teams only throw to set up the run? a team has a running game with the help o a strong o line that gets a push off the line and creates the smallest of creases for a capable running back. the oppsing team will try to shut down the running game. bottom line the opposing team has to account and respect the running game, which teams last year did not have to do against us, sure you can pass to open up some running plays and vise versa, but both sides have to be balanced to be truly effective. teams that can do that are usually successfull. with pissing in the wind run attack we had last year, it just blows my mind so many people dump on the qb, and not realize how much he helped the team go so far.

If it were that simple, teams would just "stop the running game" during the regular season. The Jets couldn't run the ball in the playoffs because they couldn't run the ball all year. If we had a running game that forced the Pats to switch their D to stop it your point might have some merit, but they did nothing special to stop our running game. Chad had nothing to do with that.

You do realize that any ball thrown parallel to the LOS would be a fumble right? Regardless if its in front or behind the LOS, it's still a fumble if parallel.

raffyD,

I hate to be the one to break it to you but You are absolutely Dead Wrong.

If that pass was in front of the line of scrimmage and it was batted down it would have been an incomplete pass, nothing more.

And the Jets would have still retained possession of the ball, it would have been 2nd and 10 on the 48.

Archived