Green Talks Intensify

BP

Green Talks Intensify

By Edgar Thompson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 15, 2007

With the NFL Draft less than two weeks away, a trade by the Dolphins for Kansas City quarterback Trent Green is imminent, a source said Saturday.

Talks between the Chiefs and Dolphins have resumed and should lead to an agreement before the April 28-29 draft, allowing Miami to focus on other needs in the earlier rounds.

The negotiations have dragged on for more than six weeks because the teams cannot agree on the terms of the deal. Late last month, Chiefs General Manager Carl Peterson said his team sought a second-round pick for Green, while Dolphins GM Randy Mueller would offer only a seventh-round pick.

But the teams soon will find a compromise "because it is in everyone's best interest," the source said.

Beside four picks in the first three rounds, the Dolphins have a fourth-round pick (No. 108) and two sixth-round picks (Nos. 181 and 199) to go with two seventh-round selections.

Miami has conducted its first mini-camp under new coach Cam Cameron with only one healthy quarterback on its roster, backup Cleo Lemon, who has made one NFL start. Kansas City, on the other hand, rewarded Damon Huard, who ranked second to Peyton Manning in passer rating last season, with a three-year contract.

Miami hopes to reunite Green, a two-time Pro Bowler who turns 37 on July 9, and Cameron, who coached him with the Washington Redskins in 1995 and '96.

link

Trent Green is actually a better QB than they had at any time last year.

May be, but that isn't saying much. And giving up anything more than a 5th rounder is a joke; he's 37, which is old. How many seasons does he have left?

May be, but that isn't saying much. And giving up anything more than a 5th rounder is a joke; he's 37, which is old. How many seasons does he have left?

I actually agree with what you are saying -just pointing out that he will be an upgrade if it happens at QB for them

Welcome to another season of Herm Edwards having an excuse why his team will fail...

Damon Huard sucks and has always sucked....

Brodie Croyle- --- lacks arm strength and slow release.... good decision making--- sounds like Pennington.

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/032207/chi_157847837.shtml

"It's like the prettiest girl in school," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. "You keep looking at her, you want to take her out and ask for a date. But if you don't ask her

the Fins made a BIG mistake in letting Ferrotte go last year and gambling on Culpepper instead of Gus or Brees-talk about crapping out-as for Green he's pretty much done...there's a big difference between the Trent green before and after that hit last year that almost killed him

the Fins made a BIG mistake in letting Ferrotte go last year and gambling on Culpepper instead of Gus or Brees-talk about crapping out-as for Green he's pretty much done...there's a big difference between the Trent green before and after that hit last year that almost killed him

They did make a mistake by taking Culpepper over Brees, but I guarantee you that a lot of people on this board and around the NFL would've done the same thing. Brees was coming off a huge SHOULDER injury that could've had a lasting impact on his arm, while Culpepper was coming off a knee injury. They took a gamble, and they lost.

They did make a mistake by taking Culpepper over Brees, but I guarantee you that a lot of people on this board and around the NFL would've done the same thing. Brees was coming off a huge SHOULDER injury that could've had a lasting impact on his arm, while Culpepper was coming off a knee injury. They took a gamble, and they lost.

not me I said it at the time-Duante had torn 3 out of the 4 ligaments in that knee-I didn't think he'd even come back at all-in fact a LOT of us around here thought the same thing-maybe somebody could find some links to discussions here in the archives

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Trent Green is expected to be acquired by the Dolphins this week.

Miami is expected to send a second-day draft pick for the veteran, who would become the immediate favorite to start. Daunte Culpepper would then be expected to be released, although we wonder if his injury will make that more complicated.

not me I said it at the time-Duante had torn 3 out of the 4 ligaments in that knee-I didn't think he'd even come back at all-in fact a LOT of us around here thought the same thing-maybe somebody could find some links to discussions here in the archives

Well that's a good call. I'm sure a lot of people would've gambled on Daunte, because they thought a shoulder injury would be worse than a knee injury, and a lot would've rather gambled on Brees because they thought that Culpepper's mobility might've been compromised. I personally wouldn't have gambled and paid millions on either one of them, but Brees turned out to be worth the risk..

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Trent Green is expected to be acquired by the Dolphins this week.

Miami is expected to send a second-day draft pick for the veteran, who would become the immediate favorite to start. Daunte Culpepper would then be expected to be released, although we wonder if his injury will make that more complicated.

good I love how Miami keeps giving away all their DP's I don't care what day they are from

Sooner or later, Daunte Culpepper will either be traded to the Oakland Raiders or released, one or the other will happen before the beginning of the 2007 season, at least in my opinion.

Trent Green is an upgrade over Culpepper, Harrington, Lemon, Frerotte, Fiedler, etc., but Miami will not generate too many W's without getting a legit #2 running back to share the carries with Ronnie Brown, get younger players on the defensive side of the ball and especially will not succeed with their current Wide Receiving core.

Sooner or later, Daunte Culpepper will either be traded to the Oakland Raiders or released, one or the other will happen before the beginning of the 2007 season, at least in my opinion.

Trent Green is an upgrade over Culpepper, Harrington, Lemon, Frerotte, Fiedler, etc., but Miami will not generate too many W's without getting a legit #2 running back to share the carries with Ronnie Brown, get younger players on the defensive side of the ball and especially will not succeed with their current Wide Receiving core.

Ricky's coming back and should be a big help-at least HE can carry a 16 game load UNlike Ronnie Brown........Fins trolls in 5-4-3-2-1.....

Ricky's coming back and should be a big help-at least HE can carry a 16 game load UNlike Ronnie Brown........Fins trolls in 5-4-3-2-1.....

Will Ricky even get re-instated and if he does does Miami even welcome him back? Its not all set in stone yet, is it SoFla? Or are we not hearing things that are being talked aobut down in Miami / Florida?

If Ricky is brought back by Miami after being re-instated, they will have a very good 1-2 punch but only because Ricky Williams is there. Ronnie Brown is no workhorse 25 carry a game back, he should be carrying it 15-18 times with Williams another 15+ times. Thats how Miami will find success, especially with Trent Green now coming in it seems at Quarterback. Lets remember, in his time in Kansas City he has had either Priest Holmes or Larry Johnson to hand the ball off too.

Will Ricky even get re-instated and if he does does Miami even welcome him back? Its not all set in stone yet, is it SoFla? Or are we not hearing things that are being talked aobut down in Miami / Florida?

If Ricky is brought back by Miami after being re-instated, they will have a very good 1-2 punch but only because Ricky Williams is there. Ronnie Brown is no workhorse 25 carry a game back, he should be carrying it 15-18 times with Williams another 15+ times. Thats how Miami will find success, especially with Trent Green now coming in it seems at Quarterback. Lets remember, in his time in Kansas City he has had either Priest Holmes or Larry Johnson to hand the ball off too.

I saw him on the news the other day and it looked like he was at Dolphins camp-what have you heard ARod?

I saw him on the news the other day and it looked like he was at Dolphins camp-what have you heard ARod?

I know he applied for reinstatement with the league but last I heard Cameron was luke warm to the idea.

Let me see what else I can find.

cool

Dolphins | R. Williams begins reinstatement process

Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:09:41 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams has requested that pertinent reports be forwarded to the league for review by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, sources told ESPN.com. The reports include those from the clinician who monitored his case and from Dr. Lawrence Brown, administrator of the NFL drug program. The sources said Williams is in compliance with the terms of his treatment and the aftercare prescribed by the NFL, and there are no known obstacles to prevent him from coming back to the NFL.

Dolphins expected to pursue trade for Chiefs' GreenBy Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Having watched their offense sputter under the direction of a pair of journeymen veterans during a three-day weekend minicamp that concluded on Sunday, the Miami Dolphins are expected this week to ramp up their efforts to complete a much-discussed trade for Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Trent Green.

Citing unnamed sources, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported that the trade could be completed this week, which would likely lead to the release of Daunte Culpepper, who was unable to participate in the minicamp as he continues recovering from knee surgery. League sources told ESPN.com that officials from the Dolphins and Chiefs, who have been talking about the trade for more than a month, recently resumed negotiations.

The teams are said to have moved closer to agreeing on compensation in the proposed deal. Kansas City has been seeking a second-round draft choice for Green, while Miami officials would prefer to surrender a late-round selection. The aim is to consummate a trade before the April 28-29 draft.

In the absence of Culpepper, the Dolphins relied on quarterbacks Cleo Lemon and Gibran Hamdan, untested players with one regular season start between them, in the weekend's initial minicamp under first year coach Cam Cameron. Not surprisingly, both the players struggled to move the offense.

Even before the minicamp, the Dolphins had renewed their pursuit of Green, but the poor performance of the offense over the weekend may have added further impetus to complete a trade that would provide Miami a proven starter.

Green, 36, has been deemed expendable by the Chiefs, who plan to allow veteran Damon Huard and second-year pro Brodie Croyle to compete in training camp for the starting job. A 14-year veteran, Green has six times thrown for 3,000-plus yards in a season and has three seasons of 4,000 or more yards. He has completed 2,143 of 3,527 passes for 26,963 yards, with 157 touchdown passes and 101 interceptions in 112 games, including 107 starts.

Until last season, Green had proven incredibly durable, and had started every game for the Chiefs since Kansas City acquired him in a 2001 trade. But Green suffered a severe head injury in the 2006 season opener, when he was hit outside the pocket by Cincinnati end Robert Geathers, and he started only eight contests.

There have been other teams which have indicated an interest in Green, the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns among them, but the veteran has emphasized that his preference is to be traded to Miami, where he would be reunited with Cameron, his former quarterbacks coach with the Washington Redskins 1995-96.

Green controls his fate to some extent, since any team that acquires him will want him to restructure a contract that has three seasons remaining, at base salaries of $7.2 million (2007), $7.7 million (2008) and $9.2 million (2009). The Dolphins and Green's agent have already agreed on the key parameters of a contract that addresses the needs of both sides.

The potential acquisition of Green, coupled with his own battle to come back from the catastrophic right knee injury he suffered in October 2005, an injury in which he tore three of the four ligaments, has left Culpepper in limbo. The eight-year veteran was supposed to answer the Dolphins' long standing quarterback issues when the club acquired him from Minnesota last spring.

But Culpepper appeared in only four games before undergoing a second surgery to repair his knee. He revealed over the weekend that the second surgery, which was designed to address scar tissue in the knee, was more serious than anyone originally divulged, and called for a rehabilitation period of 4-6 months.

There is no timetable for the return of Culpepper, 30, who is scheduled to earn a base salary of $5.5 million in 2007. It's conceivable that the Dolphins will have completed a trade for Green, and jettisoned Culpepper, before he is actually ready to return to the field.

Beyond the discussions aimed at adding Green, the Dolphins have explored other options, including the possibility of investing a high round draft choice in a quarterback. Cameron and general manager Randy Mueller have met with or auditioned each of the top four quarterback prospects in this year's draft.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com

Welcome to another season of Herm Edwards having an excuse why his team will fail...

Damon Huard sucks and has always sucked....

Brodie Croyle- --- lacks arm strength and slow release.... good decision making--- sounds like Pennington.

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/032207/chi_157847837.shtml

"It's like the prettiest girl in school," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. "You keep looking at her, you want to take her out and ask for a date. But if you don't ask her

Miami should take Green with a 4th rd. pick, anything more is a waste. Lose Daunte... I don't care how just make him disappear, and for gods sake Roger please let Ricky play again he is needed in Miami. Oh and draft Drew Stanton in the second round.

You still around in the offseason? I was sure you wouldn't show up until at least week 3.

What is up crasher? Is Ricky coming back?

BZ

You still around in the offseason? I was sure you wouldn't show up until at least week 3.

What is up crasher? Is Ricky coming back?

BZ

I drop in every now and then just to check up on the Gang Green.

Up untill the Pac Man Jones punishment was handed out I would have put money on Ricky coming back... But now, who knows. 50/50 chances in my book. This new commish is a real ball buster and may just make an example of Ricky to set the new precident for drug offenders. You know the hard a$$ no tolerence stance.

Ricky wants to come back and play for the Phins though. He's in great shape (yoga instructer) and from what I have read he can't wait to play. If they let him back and he's all jazzed about playing, watch out. The guy's a beast when his heads in the game.

I drop in every now and then just to check up on the Gang Green.

Up untill the Pac Man Jones punishment was handed out I would have put money on Ricky coming back... But now, who knows. 50/50 chances in my book. This new commish is a real ball buster and may just make an example of Ricky to set the new precident for drug offenders. You know the hard a$$ no tolerence stance.

Ricky wants to come back and play for the Phins though. He's in great shape (yoga instructer) and from what I have read he can't wait to play. If they let him back and he's all jazzed about playing, watch out. The guy's a beast when his heads in the game.

cpep.gif

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33769

Archived