25% of season over, Report Card for Mets/Yanks

SouthernJet

25% of season over.

A fair time to look at what we have so far...

Mets = A

Based on early predictions of starting pitching and possible bullpen turnover the Mets seem to have been stellar oin all areas. Especially impressive is that they are playing great ball with Wright and Delgado being no-shows. (Wright is coming back strong after Blackouts curse ;) )

Mets need to get strong pitching to continue this run. Pedro coming back and a Omar aquistion may help them keep wildcard/division title pace.

Yanks = C

Not even a RedSox fan can deny the pitching injuries the Yanks have endured. They are starting to see the light on this and are still not too far back. No complaints about the offense as it seems stellar as usual. It has capability of carrying a average pitching staff for periods of time. The non closer part of bullpen may be a sore point all season.

Holy ****...the season got cut down to 120 games?

The season is 162 games long, with the one-fourth mark coming at 41 games (40.5 to be more exact).

So far, most teams have played between 37-39 games. SJ was a LITTLE early in making this post, but certainly not as far off as you said.

The season is 162 games long, with the one-fourth mark coming at 41 games (40.5 to be more exact).

So far, most teams have played between 37-39 games. SJ was a LITTLE early in making this post, but certainly not as far off as you said.

haha,, i saw Mets had 39 games,, labeled 40 as 25% because of 162,,

figured one game off was close enough,, me thinks some are a little touchy ;)

haha,, i saw Mets had 39 games,, labeled 40 as 25% because of 162,,

figured one game off was close enough,, me thinks some are a little touchy ;)

I agree, SJ. And the reason this may be a touchy subject is because Yankee fans do not want to admit the season is as far along as it is. "It's only May!" has become their rallying cry.

I agree, SJ. And the reason this may be a touchy subject is because Yankee fans do not want to admit the season is as far along as it is. "It's only May!" has become their rallying cry.

Yeah, I clearly showed what a homer I am by giving the Yankees a D-

Actually its become yours. You're saying that Yankee fans are saying "its only May" more than anyone else.

You for some reason dont feel Yankee fans are worried enough and it annoys the hell out of you.

Actually its become yours. You're saying that Yankee fans are saying "its only May" more than anyone else.

You for some reason dont feel Yankee fans are worried enough and it annoys the hell out of you.

Personally I'm not all that worried because right now the Yankees are exactly where I predicted they would finish the season. Boston will win the division and the Yankees will have to fight for the wild card. If the Yanks get in they win.

I'm OK with Yankee fans not being worried. It means they'll stick around on the board and not disappear.

But you're also wrong if you feel that many Yankee fans do NOT use this excuse. It may mostly be the young folk who use it, but they have pulled that card early and often.

Personally I'm not all that worried because right now the Yankees are exactly where I predicted they would finish the season. Boston will win the division and the Yankees will have to fight for the wild card. If the Yanks get in they win.

hey that was my tick ;)

Air Force is being kind in giving them a D.

The Yankees so far get an F.

They look very uninispired out there almost Knicks like.

I have seen this before though and they have usually snapped out of it. I expect they will again.

Next 12 games will be very interesting though. Say they go like 4-8 against the White Sox, Mets, Red Sox and Angels. Would you pull the plug on Torre then ? They would most likely be double digits behind the Sox even if the Sox play just 500 during that stretch.

It would be a tough call but something I would probably have to consider if I was Yankees management at this point. There is too much that has gone on the past 3 1/2 years (the slow starts, the post season loses to the Sox, Angels and Tigers, the constant burning out of the bulllpen) that maybe it would be time for a different voice to be heard.

Just throwing it out there for some debate.

I have seen this before though and they have usually snapped out of it. I expect they will again.

Next 12 games will be very interesting though. Say they go like 4-8 against the White Sox, Mets, Red Sox and Angels. Would you pull the plug on Torre then ? They would most likely be double digits behind the Sox even if the Sox play just 500 during that stretch.

It would be a tough call but something I would probably have to consider if I was Yankees management at this point. There is too much that has gone on the past 3 1/2 years (the slow starts, the post season loses to the Sox, Angels and Tigers, the constant burning out of the bulllpen) that maybe it would be time for a different voice to be heard.

Just throwing it out there for some debate.

It was a D- ;)

I agree that the Yankees have looked like they don't seem to care. Uninspired is a good word, and the comparison to the Knicks is a good one. Loads of talent, but not playing winning ball.

Still, at 17-19, it is difficult to say they are an F. They are way below where they should be, but not a grade of an F. I would say D is more appropriate.

Never said you were a homer. Anyone who disagrees that the Yankees have played below average (or worse) ball would have to be insane.

The Offense has not played below average, not by a longshot. The pitching is good for what it is, young kids who played 50% of the 25% of the season. ITs a long way to go, 8 games isnt much, especially with 13 head to head meetings left.

Mets - B+

Yankees - a solid C.

The Offense has not played below average, not by a longshot. The pitching is good for what it is, young kids who played 50% of the 25% of the season. ITs a long way to go, 8 games isnt much, especially with 13 head to head meetings left.

Mets - B+

Yankees - a solid C.

That's where you're wrong. If the Yankees have been playing "C" (average) ball lately, then expectations have dwindled for Yankee fans substantially.

.500 is average and thats where they have been all year, around the .500 mark.

If the pitching staff had been healthy the whole time they would be well above .500, so yes, in fact they are a "C" club right now.

But 'average' for the Yankees isn't the same as 'average' for rest of MLB. The Yankees are held to a higher standard, and two games below .500 is far below average for them.

Archived