Kick Returner or Punt Returner?

rick34125

Which position is more valuable to a team?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which position is more valuable to a team?

• A Good Kick Returner
    • A Good Punt Returner
    • They are of the same value

Which position is more valuable to a team, a good kick returner or a good punt returner?

I tend to think a good punt returner:

1. It's harder to gain yards off of punts.

2. A dropped punt will often lead to a turnover, which is not the case with a dropped kickoff

3. In a defensive game, creating better field position off of punts will net more points.

4. If your team is getting more kick return opportunities than punt return opportunities, you are probably not going to win the game anyway. (btw both games that Justin Miller returned kickoffs for touchdowns, Colts & Browns, the Jets lost)

Punt returner by a narrow margin IMO. A punt returner faces alot of things that a kick returner never does. Fielding a ball that is spinning and spiralling in a different direction every single time inside the 20 yd. line with gunners baring down on him at breakneck speeds. A kick returner usually has 10-15 yds. between him and the first tackler.

Punt returner by a narrow margin IMO. A punt returner faces alot of things that a kick returner never does. Fielding a ball that is spinning and spiralling in a different direction every single time inside the 20 yd. line with gunners baring down on him at breakneck speeds. A kick returner usually has 10-15 yds. between him and the first tackler.

The question is which is more valuable, not which is harder to do.

The question is which is more valuable, not which is harder to do.

Well, punt return is the harder job and there is alot more to lose if the play is screwed up so obviously punt returner is more valuable. I'll write it in crayon for you next time.

I'm gonna go with they're on the same level.

A KR and PR both are there to make good field position, not turn the ball over and make an electrifying return once or twice or maybe more, a season.

A good KR at best gets 3 or 4 TDs a year.

A good Punt returner can, after a valueable defensive stop, get a team easily past the 50, which can make things entirely easier.

so you're saying punt returner is better? did you vote that way?

I say equal. While punt returning is indeed more difficult (making the value of a good one increase), you have to remember that a LOT of punts end up either: 1) going into the end zone for a touchback; or 2) caught for a fair catch.

The kick returner does not have that luxury. Every kickoff needs to be fielded (not necesarilly by him, but over 90 % of the time its the KR) and returned.

And is a fumble any less disastrous if it happens to the KR than to the PR? Fumbles at ANY time are costly.

Well, punt return is the harder job and there is alot more to lose if the play is screwed up so obviously punt returner is more valuable. I'll write it in crayon for you next time.

way to bring back the avatar, i can rest easy now. :)

in regards to this thread...PR is more important...but really, who cares, its like debating between a left footed punter, or a right footer.

Both very important because they are so directly related to all important field position. However, a punt returner hopefully gets more opportunities- assuming the D does its job. I'll straddle on this one though and go with equal

Archived