Report: Samuel to hold out until Week 10

Ryno the Jet

Business is business, this way he ain't playing at all and it makes him look like an ass. Take your medicine and earn your damn pay check, IMO

When there is 10's of million of dollars at stake, you go to extreme measures... he wants to get signed to a long term deal for big money... there are teams willing to give him that...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When there is 10's of million of dollars at stake, you go to extreme measures... he wants to get signed to a long term deal for big money... there are teams willing to give him that...

So playing for the love of the game is dead huh? Or better yet, playing for your TEAM and not yourself.

So playing for the love of the game is dead huh? Or better yet, playing for your TEAM and not yourself.

**** yeah... its all about the money man...

Even the good guys like Curtis are/were making sure they got big paydays...

I do not find fault with that, but the Patriots exercised their right to place the franchise tag on him, which is clearly legal as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.

Correct. I also think a lot of people forget that last season was far and away his best performance playing in the NFL.

Why should the Pats give a guy who has had 1 good season a contract bigger than other players at the position who have proved themselves?

Thats not the Patriots way and I think the Jets will run into this down the road as well.

The man wants to maximize his profits from his career, he is not under contract... why is it a bad thing that he wants to get paid?

Because he's making 8 million ****ing dollars this season.

These guys that bitch about the franchise tag are so stupid. You are going to get paid eventually, buddy, and you will still be paid a ridiculous amount. Why not take $8 million for one season and be happy with it?

What's his signing bonus gonna be? $20 million? If he's franchised for 2 years, that's $16 million to go along with the $20 he's got coming his way as long as he isn't a stupid ******* and sits out the season.

Because he's making 8 million ****ing dollars this season.

These guys that bitch about the franchise tag are so stupid. You are going to get paid eventually, buddy, and you will still be paid a ridiculous amount. Why not take $8 million for one season and be happy with it?

What's his signing bonus gonna be? $20 million? If he's franchised for 2 years, that's $16 million to go along with the $20 he's got coming his way as long as he isn't a stupid ******* and sits out the season.

What if he gets hurt, his value drops, he has a bad year???

You gotta try and make money while your hot.

Correct. I also think a lot of people forget that last season was far and away his best performance playing in the NFL.

Why should the Pats give a guy who has had 1 good season a contract bigger than other players at the position who have proved themselves?

Thats not the Patriots way and I think the Jets will run into this down the road as well.

yeah, for better or worse, the tag is part of the nfl like it or not.

sorry alk thats all I got............the tanks empty

What if he gets hurt, his value drops, he has a bad year???

You gotta try and make money while your hot.

When this happens to a prominent Jets player in the next couple of seasons will you still fell the same way?

What if the Jets slap the franchise tag on Rhodes?

Oh so now the type of money he\'s set to make doesn\'t cover that, my god.

It is all relative. If you had a job making $10 an hour, and your contract was up, but the company says they demand you stay for $15 a hour, and at the end of the year you may not have a job while other companies are willing to give you a contract making $25 an hour for the next 5 years, are you going to be happy making $15 with NO job security at all? For your sake, I would hope not, I know I wouldn\'t be.

Oh so now the type of money he's set to make doesn't cover that, my god.

Who cares what he makes now.. the point is that a lot of teams think he is worth A LOT more...

It would be stupid of him to shut up and take 7 million for one year when he would have that for the next 5.

When this happens to a prominent Jets player in the next couple of seasons will you still fell the same way?

I hope it doesn't happen, but if they deserve it the JETS have shown they pay the players that deserve it now... (Cotchery, Thomas)

It is all relative. If you had a job making $10 an hour, and your contract was up, but the company says they demand you stay for $15 a hour, and at the end of the year you may not have a job while other companies are willing to give you a contract making $25 an hour for the next 5 years, are you going to be happy making $15 with NO job security at all? For your sake, I would hope not, I know I wouldn\'t be.

Exactly.

I think alot of people are missing the point, IT'S A DAMN GAME, how many old players, who are a HELLUVA lot better then what's out there now, both on and off the field, made this kinda money, or complained about what they got.

Seriously, no one thinks complaining about getting MILLIONS of dollars is absurd?

I think alot of people are missing the point, IT'S A DAMN GAME, how many old players, who are a HELLUVA lot better then what's out there now, both on and off the field, made this kinda money, or complained about what they got.

Seriously, no one thinks complaining about getting MILLIONS of dollars is absurd?

You dont think they would have taken it?

Your getting all caught up in the amount because it seems like so much to you, to them it doesn't... its all relative...

You're exactly right it is relative, and these guys are in a UNION! THERE IS A UNION AGREEMENT IN PLACE STATING THAT ONE FRANCHISE TAG MAY BE USED PER TEAM. If these players have a problem with this agreement, they need to tell their union rep. Sorry, but there are pros and cons to union representation, and for the players, this is a con.

I hope it doesn't happen, but if they deserve it the JETS have shown they pay the players that deserve it now... (Cotchery, Thomas)

That Pats have done the same thing (Seymour, Brady, Vrabel, Bruschi, etc). This is a different animal. Teams tag players for a reason.

You're exactly right it is relative, and these guys are in a UNION! THERE IS A UNION AGREEMENT IN PLACE STATING THAT ONE FRANCHISE TAG MAY BE USED PER TEAM. If these players have a problem with this agreement, they need to tell their union rep. Sorry, but there are pros and cons to union representation, and for the players, this is a con.

Its also allowed for them to hold out till week 10, and the owners and players agreed on that as well...

You cant have it both ways... he is doing this by the book.

I think alot of people are missing the point, IT\'S A DAMN GAME, how many old players, who are a HELLUVA lot better then what\'s out there now, both on and off the field, made this kinda money, or complained about what they got.

Its not just a game. It is their job, it is a business to them. It is most likely the only way they can ever make anywhere near that much money again.

Like I said, its all relative, if you don\'t like how much these people are getting paid, stop watching football, stop going to games and stop buying merchandise. You are the one paying their contracts.

all our players are character guys. I doubt mangini will even need to use the franchise tag next year. I see all jet players firing their agents by 09. everything will be done with handshakes and pats on the backs.

Admitedly I don't know enough about it, but doesn't this franchise tag thing just totally suck from a player's standpoint? I mean, this is a violent sport, where a career or life ending injury can happen on any snap. The nature of the tag means that a team decides to hold on to a player who most likely could fetch much more in free agency for only one year, with no type of long term deal. If the player works out well then the team has the option of signing him longterm later, if the player gets hurt and ends his career or turns him into much less of a player, the team has the option to drop him after the season. Seems like the tag benefits the team and really only hurts the player. I don't really agree with players who want to renegotiate deals, but I can understand a player stuck with a franchise tag. Like I said though, I don't know enough about it, am i missing something?

The man wants to maximize his profits from his career, he is not under contract... why is it a bad thing that he wants to get paid?

Also remember that this is the Pats we're talking about. I want to see your opinion when we have to franchise one of our own and something like this happens.

Its not just a game. It is their job, it is a business to them. It is most likely the only way they can ever make anywhere near that much money again.

Like I said, its all relative, if you don\'t like how much these people are getting paid, stop watching football, stop going to games and stop buying merchandise. You are the one paying their contracts.

I think more people need to realize this, we've created a monster, where does it end? How long are these guys going to make millions of dollars complain about the difference between 8 and 10 million? When most people are doing things that are 10 times more important and barely making it.

Also remember that this is the Pats we're talking about. I want to see your opinion when we have to franchise one of our own and something like this happens.

Like I said... I hope our FO continues to sign deserving players before the issue arrives...

I think more people need to realize this, we've created a monster, where does it end? How long are these guys going to make millions of dollars complain about the difference between 8 and 10 million? When most people are doing things that are 10 times more important and barely making it.

Supply and Demand.

Admitedly I don't know enough about it, but doesn't this franchise tag thing just totally suck from a player's standpoint? I mean, this is a violent sport, where a career or life ending injury can happen on any snap. The nature of the tag means that a team decides to hold on to a player who most likely could fetch much more in free agency for only one year, with no type of long term deal. If the player works out well then the team has the option of signing him longterm later, if the player gets hurt and ends his career or turns him into much less of a player, the team has the option to drop him after the season. Seems like the tag benefits the team and really only hurts the player. I don't really agree with players who want to renegotiate deals, but I can understand a player stuck with a franchise tag. Like I said though, I don't know enough about it, am i missing something?

You're probably missing something minor, but it does prety much 100% suck from a player standpoint.

I think more people need to realize this, we\'ve created a monster, where does it end? How long are these guys going to make millions of dollars complain about the difference between 8 and 10 million? When most people are doing things that are 10 times more important and barely making it.

Because they got into a business that makes more money. I don\'t blame the players at all, the business of football makes alot of money, and these players are the reason for it. Without them, it wouldn\'t make nearly as much money, so they should get their fair percentage.

You're absolutely correct, but this is the only advantage the teams get. Teams are stuck with mediocre players signed to huge deals all the time. Of course, with the ever increasing cap room, it does not really matter. Sure teams can cut players, but they are still obligated to at least a portion of the original compensation. When players hold out like Samual is saying he will do, what do the teams get? All this while making a totally legit move with the tag.

Yes...

The simple fact is there are MILLIONS of fans who love to watch these guys play... they are being paid accordingly...

Wow, then your ideas of acceptable are outrageous. NO ONE playing a GAME deserves that kind of money. Are the fans to blame? Of course. Does that make it "OK" for them to get the kind of they're getting, hell no.

Archived