Kendall feels betrayed by Eric

Kentucky Jet

Kendall feels betrayed by Mangini

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

June 27, 2007

New York Jets guard Pete Kendall wants a pay raise and is not afraid of burning bridges to get it.

Kendall is seeking at least a $1 million salary increase to a minimum of $2.7 million for the 2007 season and reiterated his desire to be released by the Jets if a new deal is not reached. His growing frustration results from his belief that he's being treated unfairly by an organization he's sacrificed for in the past and a head coach, Eric Mangini, who he feels betrayed him.

"I thought I was somebody (Mangini) valued," said Kendall, who is entering his fourth season with the Jets. "At a certain point, he told me some things that, frankly, I was surprised to hear from him. He told me he appreciated that I was so candid with him and he wanted me to continue to be that way because he wasn't always sure that he was getting that from other people in the building."

The Jets didn't respond to a message seeking comment.

Kendall said the confidence Mangini showed in him was one of many reasons why he felt justified in asking for a raise after taking a pay cut before last season. Both Kendall, who would welcome being released if he doesn't receive a new deal, and Pittsburgh Steelers guard Alan Faneca have been vocal in their displeasure with their contracts after seeing the likes of Derrick Dockery, Eric Steinbach and Kris Dielman average at least $6.5 million annually on their new contracts.

"I'm not even looking to get into that range," said Kendall, who will be 34 this season. "I just want to get back to what I agreed to in 2004 when I signed with the Jets. That was $3 million per season."

Furthermore, Kendall said he felt he has been deceived by the Jets after adjusting his salary downward before the past two seasons, both times with three years remaining on his contract. With the second restructuring, Kendall's contract was extended through 2009. The Jets have told him that they will not give him the raise because he has three years remaining.

"So it's OK for me to take a pay cut with three years remaining on my deal, but it's not OK for me to get a raise with three years left?" Kendall said, rhetorically. "They say that if they did that, there'd be a line started outside the door immediately with guys wanting to redo their deals.

"To me, I showed loyalty to the club by playing hurt and playing out of position (in 2005), which basically ended up hurting my value," Kendall said. "Now that I've showed my play is back to where it was, they don't want to show the same loyalty to me."

Kendall said that if he reports for the start of training camp "it won't be all hugs and kisses" with Mangini, and he's not sure if he'll report at all. He risks being fined $14,000 per day he misses.

"I'm thinking about whether to do that," he said.

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Kendall feels betrayed by Mangini

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

June 27, 2007

New York Jets guard Pete Kendall wants a pay raise and is not afraid of burning bridges to get it.

Kendall is seeking at least a $1 million salary increase to a minimum of $2.7 million for the 2007 season and reiterated his desire to be released by the Jets if a new deal is not reached. His growing frustration results from his belief that he's being treated unfairly by an organization he's sacrificed for in the past and a head coach, Eric Mangini, who he feels betrayed him.

"I thought I was somebody (Mangini) valued," said Kendall, who is entering his fourth season with the Jets. "At a certain point, he told me some things that, frankly, I was surprised to hear from him. He told me he appreciated that I was so candid with him and he wanted me to continue to be that way because he wasn't always sure that he was getting that from other people in the building."

The Jets didn't respond to a message seeking comment.

Kendall said the confidence Mangini showed in him was one of many reasons why he felt justified in asking for a raise after taking a pay cut before last season. Both Kendall, who would welcome being released if he doesn't receive a new deal, and Pittsburgh Steelers guard Alan Faneca have been vocal in their displeasure with their contracts after seeing the likes of Derrick Dockery, Eric Steinbach and Kris Dielman average at least $6.5 million annually on their new contracts.

"I'm not even looking to get into that range," said Kendall, who will be 34 this season. "I just want to get back to what I agreed to in 2004 when I signed with the Jets. That was $3 million per season."

Furthermore, Kendall said he felt he has been deceived by the Jets after adjusting his salary downward before the past two seasons, both times with three years remaining on his contract. With the second restructuring, Kendall's contract was extended through 2009. The Jets have told him that they will not give him the raise because he has three years remaining.

"So it's OK for me to take a pay cut with three years remaining on my deal, but it's not OK for me to get a raise with three years left?" Kendall said, rhetorically. "They say that if they did that, there'd be a line started outside the door immediately with guys wanting to redo their deals.

"To me, I showed loyalty to the club by playing hurt and playing out of position (in 2005), which basically ended up hurting my value," Kendall said. "Now that I've showed my play is back to where it was, they don't want to show the same loyalty to me."

Kendall said that if he reports for the start of training camp "it won't be all hugs and kisses" with Mangini, and he's not sure if he'll report at all. He risks being fined $14,000 per day he misses.

"I'm thinking about whether to do that," he said.

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Bye Bye Petey!

Whoever replaces Kendall will in all likelihood be a drop off. But the reality is, and don't get mad at me, the Jets are still a couple of players away from being a SB team (not that the breaks can't swing our way), so get rid of this cancer and plan for his long term replacement.

Im not saying that Kendall is handling it correctly. But if any one of use took a 66% pay cut we would be more than a little pissed off. If he is truly asking for what he was originally quoted I cannot blame him for his actions. Hes been a warrior for the past for years and he isnt getting any younger (losing time to make money). He deserves better from us...

Then he shouldn't have started all of this **** by going to the media. The Jets have been silent during this entire process, but Pete is the one going to the media every day. If he would have just shut up and kept this in-house, it might not have turned out like this.

Then he shouldn't have started all of this **** by going to the media. The Jets have been silent during this entire process, but Pete is the one going to the media every day. If he would have just shut up and kept this in-house, it might not have turned out like this.

I'm not so sure he started it. First I heard of anything was the Jets shopping him during the draft. At the time it seemed odd. Especially since they weren't picking up any picks or drafting OG which was already a need position. Then it came out that they were shopping him because he wanted more $$. Not sure if that came from Pete/his agent, the FO or "anonymous" sources.

Im not saying that Kendall is handling it correctly. But if any one of use took a 66% pay cut we would be more than a little pissed off. If he is truly asking for what he was originally quoted I cannot blame him for his actions. Hes been a warrior for the past for years and he isnt getting any younger (losing time to make money). He deserves better from us...

He should have thought of that before he agreed to take a pay cut. I can't feel bad for anyone who makes 1.7 million dollars a year to play a chlid's game. I won't even make that in my life.

He should have thought of that before he agreed to take a pay cut. I can't feel bad for anyone who makes 1.7 million dollars a year to play a chlid's game. I won't even make that in my life.

Thats about 40k a year if you work 40ish years...

Not with that attitude.

Personally, I don't really care if I ever make that. I live very simply and I am more than happy to do so. My point was that most people making an average income or below will never even reach that money in their lives. I cannot feel bad for a guy who makes a life savings off of one year. I only feel bad for players when they are injured badly and screwed over. I don't have one ounce of pity for any of them when it comes to crying about dollars in the millions.

I know it s the patriot way (and their all geniuses :yawn: ) but I really dont like back stabbing our players, I just hope that the FO resolves this situation without screwing over Pete.

Nice avatar, and we need to trade this fool.

Actually, he only took that because if he didn't, we woulda cut him last year, and I bet we'd have MJ Gilles instead of Schlegel as a result. Mawae refused the paycut and was a pro bowler. Kendall isn't near that level for his position even.

I know it s the patriot way (and their all geniuses :yawn: ) but I really dont like back stabbing our players, I just hope that the FO resolves this situation without screwing over Pete.

Laughing

What are you talking about "back stabbing".

He was given a choice last year, get cut or take a pay cut.

Now he is crying he wants to be cut, and he was back stabbed.

No one would pay him last year.

I think Pete is in for a surprise this season. He just might be sitting on the bench for 1.7 million, or retire for 0

WTF Pete, you were paid in the first year of your contract, 5.2m last year and will get 1.7m this year. When I went to school, that average out to 3.45m for the two years. If you wanted more, you and your agent screw up, so shut the F up.

Thats about 40k a year if you work 40ish years...

I have 4 years honorably served in the military and a Bachelor's degree and I still dont make 40K per year....... No love for the veterans...

This pig is complaining about what he makes...lol, I would cut him and never look back.

I have 4 years honorably served in the military and a Bachelor's degree and I still dont make 40K per year....... No love for the veterans...

This pig is complaining about what he makes...lol, I would cut him and never look back.

Thank you for your service.

Cutting guys and not looking back because they complain about their salaries isn't good business. How many guys in the pro-bowl have had salary disputes or held out? It's part of the business. You have to make each decision on its own merits, taking into consideration the precedent it sets. Kendall is old so paying him might be a bad idea, but should the Pats have just cut Branch last year? Obviously not. To take the hard line involves getting stuck listening to a certain amount of chatter-bitching and moaning. Kendall would love to be cut. Cutting him is NOT taking the hard line.

Archived