Have you ever met a famous person you admired?

GREENLANTERN

Did you work at PBI? I have a lot of friends that work there. I remember that Arnie and Greg Norman both used to park their jets in the same hanger there and play practical jokes on each other. My favorite was this... Palmer had a golden bear painted on the door of his own jet. Norman noticed this and had some people paint a shark on the door... mounting the bear doggie style.

PBI...Palm Beach International? No Mr. 16G-MONEY. This was in Carlsbad California (Palomar Airport in particular) when he flew his own Cessna Citation Jet, S/N# 001 in to play at Torrey Pines in San Diego County. BTW that was a humorous ancedote about the aircraft painting. Greg Norman has a somewhat wry sense of humor it seems.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in the rep thread by accident, because I hit the wrong mark. What the hell. Anyway...

Hahaha, just got an excited phone-call from the old man. He's doing his second Iron Man in Lake Placid, NY this Sunday. NY Rangers great Mike Richter was a speaker at the athlete's meeting, and he's also doing the race. Richter and Cammie Granato attended hockey camp up there as youngsters, so Richter has ties there. Last year I walked the ice where the 1980 U.S. hockey team beat the Russians. Great stuff.

So the husband said he's the nicest, sweetest apple-cheeked guy you'd ever want to meet. They talked for a good five minutes after the meeting. I said, "Did you say, 'Matteau! Matteau! Matteau! Stephan Matteau!'?" "No, it was such a down to earth conversation, I forgot." Damn it. 1994 was a beautiful friggin' thing. :P

I posted this in the rep thread by accident, because I hit the wrong mark. What the hell. Anyway...

Hahaha, just got an excited phone-call from the old man. He's doing his second Iron Man in Lake Placid, NY this Sunday. NY Rangers great Mike Richter was a speaker at the athlete's meeting, and he's also doing the race. Richter and Cammie Granato attended hockey camp up there as youngsters, so Richter has ties there. Last year I walked the ice where the 1980 U.S. hockey team beat the Russians. Great stuff.

So the husband said he's the nicest, sweetest apple-cheeked guy you'd ever want to meet. They talked for a good five minutes after the meeting. I said, "Did you say, 'Matteau! Matteau! Matteau! Stephan Matteau!'?" "No, it was such a down to earth conversation, I forgot." Damn it. 1994 was a beautiful friggin' thing. :P

I was at Game 7, it was a multiple goosebumps event. It was truly an unbelievably exhilarating feeling, something I would love to experience with the Jets.

Met a famous person I admired??? No. Actually I dont really admire athletes or celebrities or get all worked up over them.

The nicest athletes I've met are:

Harmon Killebrew- met him when I worked for a minor league team... he was in town and wanted to see the ballpark since he played there when he was in the minors. Sat and talked baseball for an hour and signed a box of baseballs for us in the office. Awesome time.

Marcus Camby- Granted this was in college, but I worked for the UMass hockey team and our lockerrooms were in the same hallway. It was cool to just b.s. with him and only once did I ask for an autograph. Had a class with him freshman year before I knew who he was and wondered who the tall black shy kid was crammed into that seat. He was awesome... Our junior year I stayed in the hotel on campus during winter break and his room was next door. He had Dominoes almost everynight... pizza. chicken wings. It was a game every morning to see what Marcus ate last night. Also seemed to have a few girls there too....

Sidney Green- (played for knicks)- My dad coached him in high school and he was always awesome to me from when he was in HS (i was like 4-5 at the time) and when he made the NBA. Got awesome seats behind the basket one game from him. Really nice and down to earth. Also got to meet Patrick Ewing and Mark Jackson...

Former Mets GM Steve Phillips- He is such a jackass on TV, but he was awesome when I met him. In Augusta GA scouting his players and stopped in to see one of my co-workers he knew from when he played minor league ball. He sat in the office for a few hours talking family, baseball, and lots of other crap. He was great to chat with.

Jerry Martin- Met him when I worked in Kannapolis NC he was the hitting coach. After some of the games we would go down to the clubhouse and drink with the coaches and whatever roving coaches were in town... they would sit there for hours talking about the old times and things they did. Martin was such a friggin lush and his stories got better as the night went on. His wife moved to town so he wouldnt cheat on her during the season!

Thats my list of athletes I've met who made an impact on me... they were all cool once you get them out of the athlete mode and into normal person mode.

I was at Game 7, it was a multiple goosebumps event. It was truly an unbelievably exhilarating feeling, something I would love to experience with the Jets.

Sweet. I'll never forget that run. Something for the ages. Rangers fans had brooms when we played the Islanders. Sweep! Hehe.

Loved Tikkanen. Meh, that whole team was bought, but you gotta love it just the same. The best was when Messier said, "We will win tonight. I guarantee it." Splashed all over the NYC headlines that was he was pulling a Joe Namath, but can he deliver? So he goes in that night vs. the Devils, scores a hat trick, and wins the whole game by himself. Fuggin' unbelievable. The mojo was palpable.

My son is leaving tomorrow to spend a week at baseball camp. Each week they have a different major league ball player come to camp and talk to the kids, take pictures & autographs. The ball player that will be there is Aaron Heilman from the Mets. He's a relief pitcher and not really famous, but my son knows who he is because he's a huge Mets fan, so he's excited about it. Hopefully his experience is good and he doesn't get disappointed.

Lets see...I've met most of the carolina basketball team, Roy Williams, the unc football team each year.

Met Tim Duncan, John Smoltz, Phillip Rivers, Steve Smith, Julius Peppers, etc...

Non-sports I've met a bunch of the Star Wars actors....dc comics artists, people like that.

If it was namath im surprised, i heard he has always been good with autographs. Pennington even related a story once about how Namath chewed his ass out at an autograph signing because Chad was just scribbling anything on memorabilia that did not remotely resemble his name.

Maybe Joe just had a bad day or.. a relapse lol

If it was namath im surprised, i heard he has always been good with autographs. Pennington even related a story once about how Namath chewed his ass out at an autograph signing because Chad was just scribbling anything on memorabilia that did not remotely resemble his name.

Maybe Joe just had a bad day or.. a relapse lol

I remember this story. What Joe was telling Chad was that people have to be able to read the autograph.

Keyshawn Johnson was a real a-hole in his earlier years. Me and my friend saw him at the movies one night during training camp 97. So Keyshawn walked by us and my friend, knowing him a huge Jets fan, said "Hey Keyshawn this guy right here (pointing at me) is a huge fan of yours." Keyshawn just looked at me and flapped his lips at me and began to walk away. My friend got pissed and said "I think you suck to be honest" (he wouldnt have said that if key didnt blow me off) and Key and my friend had some words and almost came to blows. Bizzarre incident.

But I heard Keyshawn is real cool nowadays if you approach him. Guess he matured with age.

Phil Rizzuto is a hell of a nice guy. Hillary Clinton and Reba McEntire - both very nice. George Pataki, Mario Cuomo and Eliot Spitzer, nice enough.

Rudy Giuliani and Ed Koch - both A-holes. Joan Jett - bitch.

Phil Rizzuto is a hell of a nice guy. Hillary Clinton and Reba McEntire - both very nice. George Pataki, Mario Cuomo and Eliot Spitzer, nice enough.

Rudy Giuliani and Ed Koch - both A-holes. Joan Jett - bitch.

I started a thread on this a couple of years ago-I think it was "What Famous People Have You Met?" as it went on I kept remembering all the stars I've met and there's been tons.

I also met The Scooter Bob at the Palm Beach Hilton-he was real nice.When I was a kid I was a cartoonist-a pretty good one at that-I wanted to be a sports cartoonist-I could draw real good car8catures and I became friends with the Yankees photographed -the guy's name was Mike Grossbart and he also took all the action shots for Topps cards in the early 70's.I f you notice and Jetheelz I;m sure could confirm this all the shots were either from Yankee Stadium or Shea.

Anyway I got to go into the dugout and the locker room and it was weird to see your heroes walking by you nude.I drew a caricature of Ron Swobada when he was a Yank and he loved it and was the nicest guy you could meet.

The mods are always seeing their "heroes" naked.

Their heroes are the other mods.

yea and in case anyone ever wondered why Dick Howser had that nickname-as the Scooter would say Holy Cow!!! That thing almost hit the floor as he was sitting down...

Archived