Jets & Revis Resume Contract Talks

Smizzy

How do you figure the Jets "did him a favor?" They traded up because they were scared he'd be gone. Reports had the Steelers interested at 15. Examine the deals: Carriker 5 years for $14.5M $9.5M in bonuses; Timmons 5 years $15M $8M in bonuses; Harrell 5 years $15M (no signing bonus, but a roster bonus of around $6M next year because they are scared that he hasn't played in 11 months for the torn bicep). Hell even Beason at 21 (where the Jets were) got 5 years at $12.6 with better than $6M in guaranteed money. Seems like everybody got 5 year deals for around $15M and the nickels and dimes between picks 14 and 16 are meaningless compared to an extra year.

You don't trade a one and a two to "do a guy a favor" by moving up.

I was watching the Monday Night Game Pre-Game show and the scroll bar went through all the first round draft picks and the length of their contracts. The first 5 received 6 year contracts. 25 of the remaining 27 received 5 year contracts.

The Jets are maintaining an unreasonable stance to the detriment of their own drafted player.

my gut tells me that this guys agent is the same as for cry-baby Kendall and he is hosing us as a result..

just my take on it...

The agent isn't going to fvck with the negotiations on a $15M deal with a rookie he hopes to represent for a long time over $1M for a player close to retirement. This guy's been around a long time. He doesn't have the reputation of a prick, and he has his own career to worry about. He's just trying to get a fair market value for his client, as set by this year's market.

I was watching the Monday Night Game Pre-Game show and the scroll bar went through all the first round draft picks and the length of their contracts. The first 5 received 6 year contracts. 25 of the remaining 27 received 5 year contracts.

The Jets are maintaining an unreasonable stance to the detriment of their own drafted player.

That's the fact. I understand that they're concerned about multiple big money deals all coming up at the same time, but if I'm the Revis camp, I tell them that sounds like a personal problem. If they want to stagger payouts, they can give my client a four year deal.

So the Jets are doing what is in their best interests. We should be mad at a young regime for caring about the long term health of this franchise?

my gut tells me that this guys agent is the same as for cry-baby Kendall and he is hosing us as a result..

just my take on it...

You are quite correct. Pete Kendall's agent is Neil Schwartz. The same agent who is one of the two agents assigned to of our #1 draft pick Darrelle Revis!

Sounds like a conspiracy on Mr. Kendalls part - but don't quote me on it!

Thursday is the day.

You heard it hear first. Revis will sign on Thursday and will be with the team for the scrimmage. He will see the field next week when practice resumes.

I base this on lengthy conversations I have had with the voices in my head.

So the Jets are doing what is in their best interests. We should be mad at a young regime for caring about the long term health of this franchise?

As is Revis and his agent.

What about the short term health? How is this team served by holding firm on a 6 year contract when 8 of the 9 draft picks ahead of him contracts are 5 year deals?

You open with a 6 year to see if they sign off on it (like Branch's agent did on his rookie contract) and/or wait to see what the market is dictating.

However, drawing a line in the sand when the market is dictating the draft pick's stance is going to cause problems in the future. Either you draft someone that is willing to accept your deal ahead of their value or you have more contentious negotiations which may drive picks and free agents away.

It is easier for the Patriots to pull off this stance because they have won. The Jets doing it makes them seem cheap.

What about the short term health? How is this team served by holding firm on a 6 year contract when 8 of the 9 draft picks ahead of him contracts are 5 year deals?

You open with a 6 year to see if they sign off on it (like Branch's agent did on his rookie contract) and/or wait to see what the market is dictating.

However, drawing a line in the sand when the market is dictating the draft pick's stance is going to cause problems in the future. Either you draft someone that is willing to accept your deal ahead of their value or you have more contentious negotiations which may drive picks and free agents away.

It is easier for the Patriots to pull off this stance because they have won. The Jets doing it makes them seem cheap.

No. It makes the Pats looks cheap too. ;)

No. It makes the Pats looks cheap too. ;)

Maybe, but the Patriots have never had this prolonged of a holdout, draft pick wise, either. It is those smallish wideouts that cause the Patriots issues.

I think they have had two holdouts over the last 10 years. One was like 2-3 days late and another was a week (Graham I think).

Maybe, but the Patriots have never had this prolonged of a holdout, draft pick wise, either. It is those smallish wideouts that cause the Patriots issues.

I think they have had two holdouts over the last 10 years. One was like 2-3 days late and another was a week (Graham I think).

so you are implying tennebaum is a poor contract negotiater and shouldn't think outside the box as we are not the supreme pats. OK

if revis signs a contract within 7 days and the words 6 years are on it, perhaps you'll realize this is not the same ny jet organization you have enjoyed in previous years

This was my major problem with it. They shouldn't make any such "team policy" statements like no voidable year or any absolutes in dealing with signing a rookie. The contract is more or less slotted; it is not the same as signing free agents. What they did was make a stance & they are left with (1) hope that Revis caves; (2) let him sit out; (3) go back on your firm stance so every agent knows that in dealing with the Jets, all you need to do is play the waiting game.

They mis-played this one. I hope it works out (and it probably will), but what I also really hope is that they learn from it. What good is getting the guy for an extra year if he's (now) hardly going to be of value in year one?

Archived