deVito a terrific Free Agent find by Mr.T

Kentucky Jet

A A A A A

DeVito a terrific free agent find for Mr. T.

By Gregg Hayim, JC

Posted Sep 3, 2007

The odds against rookie Mike DeVito making the Jets active roster were long as Appalachian State's chances heading into Ann Arbor this past Saturday.

But DeVito impressed the Jets brass throughout the preseason, and learned, on Saturday night, he had earned a spot on Eric Mangini's 53-man roster. He is the only undrafted rookie to do so.

The twenty-three year old Maine product put together an impressive body of work in the preseason. His high intensity play, and quick transition to the 3-4, put him in good favor with the coaching staff, and made him one of the more interesting stories of camp.

Yet, with veteran Bobby Hamilton still ahead of him on the depth chart, DeVito was certainly no guarantee to make the team.

Having done all he could do, and still considered a long shot, Friday and Saturday were long days for DeVito. Oddly enough, he was waiting for the phone not to ring.

"I had the cell phone on me the whole time - I kept checking it." DeVito said on Monday morning. "On Saturday around five or six o'clock I was like OK, now I'm probably alright. I don't think anyone else is calling me now."

Despite having to adapt to a new system, coupled with the large jump from 1-AA football to the pro game, DeVito's success certainly didn't happen by accident.

His signature throughout camp was his high-intensity play, and it's a trademark that didn't just impress the coaching staff.

"There was a couple of times where we were watching film and our offensive coordinator would be like, we know this guy [DeVito] is going to come hard." tight end Joe Kowalewski said. "When an offensive coach is talking about a player, you know he's doing a good job. He came out of nowhere really; a couple plays here and there and then all of a sudden... he played really well and he definitely belongs. He earned it and he deserves it."

Since the 3-4 defensive scheme is a rarity to the college game, the stumbling block for many rookies in similar positions is the inability to quickly grasp the system. For DeVito, the transition didn't come overnight, but it did happen quick enough.

As training camp progressed, and his reps increased, it became more and more evident that he was grasping the defense and traversing northward up the depth chart.

His training camp performance convinced the Jets brass they were better off taking a chance on his youth, rather than hanging on to the thirty-seven year old Hamilton.

And if training camp is any barometer of his ability to do so, it won't be long until Jet fans can expect to see him making an impact when the games actually matter.

free agent find? until this guy makes an impact in a real game he is a non story..I would rather focus on the money spent on free agents and what they actually did..aka Kimo and the likes..

this was an easy story for the media... why should they tackle anything more difficult than a fluff piece on an UDFA who barely made the team and will probably never suit up for a game.

may even end up on practice squad if we sign someone

This is what I figure. If we can find a solid guard or defensive lineman through waivers, watch for DeVito to be the first guy knocked down to the PS. Still a good story though, and I hope he gets to see some game action.

This is what I figure. If we can find a solid guard or defensive lineman through waivers, watch for DeVito to be the first guy knocked down to the PS. Still a good story though, and I hope he gets to see some game action.

Yeah, he grew up watching the Jets with his dad whos a huge fan. He could be FKA in 1-2 years for us if hes kept around.

In my opinion, the last spot on the practice squad is for DeVito. I think the plan is to release him, sign someone off the waiver wire and re-sign him to the practice squad (quietly).

No such thing as "quietly" in the NFL. If he is released everyone in the NFL will know about it.

I hope they move one of the TE's. That PS spot is being left open for a reason. I hope it is a top line LG

In my opinion, the last spot on the practice squad is for DeVito. I think the plan is to release him, sign someone off the waiver wire and re-sign him to the practice squad (quietly).

They are more likely to move a TE to the practice squad, IMO. Its more of a glut.

If they release DeVito and re-sign him to the practice squad then they are setting themselves up if an injury occurs. At that point they would be carrying 3 defensive ends. Who moves to DE if Ellis, K.Coleman or Hicks gets hurt? C.J. Mosley? Maybe.

I think DeVito is on this roster to be the 4th DE. He might indeed be an inactive each week, but he will be on the roster.

They are more likely to move a TE to the practice squad, IMO. Its more of a glut.

I still believe they are trying to swing a trade for one of the TEs, even Baker.

Whether it actually goes down this week is another matter.

If they released any of those guys, they would have been signed by another team.

I still believe they are trying to swing a trade for one of the TEs, even Baker.

Whether it actually goes down this week is another matter.

If they released any of those guys, they would have been signed by another team.

I agree that the Jets may try to move a TE, but how much trade value can any of these guys really have?; I'm guessing not much. I dont see them trading Baker; his value to this team is much greater than the mid or low round pick they will get for him in trade.

I agree that the Jets may try to move a TE, but how much trade value can any of these guys really have?; I'm guessing not much. I dont see them trading Baker; his value to this team is much greater than the mid or low round pick they will get for him in trade.

I don't know about that. The backups at that position are better blockers, and Ryan has proved he can catch the ball. For a team that doesn't use the tightend much, would much rather have the hard nosed blockers than the guy with the 'somewhat' better hands.

Trading baker would be good in my book, i like the guy, but i like running the football more and that is what we will get when the other TE's get in the game.

I'd rather trade Baker for a decent guard than trade Dyson, though Dyson hasnt been right all summer with a tweaked wheel.

I have no problem with a little TE by committee. Ryan and Pozie are pretty good, and Kowalewski was having a solid camp until he got hurt.

If they release DeVito and re-sign him to the practice squad then they are setting themselves up if an injury occurs. At that point they would be carrying 3 defensive ends. Who moves to DE if Ellis, K.Coleman or Hicks gets hurt? C.J. Mosley? Maybe.

I think DeVito is on this roster to be the 4th DE. He might indeed be an inactive each week, but he will be on the roster.

Very good point.

Archived