Confessions of a Chiefs Fan

Roger Vick

Seriously, how old are you? Character and abilities should be the only thing that matters, but it doesn't. Ever hear of minority hiring?

See that's the problem with him. At age 13 he really didn't know back then

what every football fan knew this side of the moon that Tag forced the Jets

to take Hermy.

lookin' & soundin' pretty sweet.

we have to wait until the 17th to get our HD set-up...looking forward to it-all I know is this;it better not friggin rain the first 2 weeks of the season b/c when the clouds roll in my DTV goes out...I have the Sirius radio on stand-by just in case

To the members of the Jets Nation:

Thanks for the words of wisdom. If you were to lurk over at the planet, you'd probably be surprised how many dissenters Herm has already gained at this point, but we are an unruly group and don't truly represent all of the Chiefs fanbase. If I were to bet, I'd say the planet is probably 60-40 in favor of Herm, with the overal fanbase being closer to 75-25.

I have no problems with Herm the person, he seems like a nice guy. But a lot of the times you have to be a world class jerk in order to be a successful head coach, or a teacher for that matter, and he's more interested in being a friend. It's funny that he talks about being a "player's coach" as though it means he has credibility because he played in the league. The reality is that he's considered a "player's coach" because he lets his players get away with far too much, and then satisfies them with gusts of hot air in the lockerroom before game time.

Yeah, we were an aging offense, but Herm was never honest with either the fans, the media, or the players about what he wanted to do with that offense. He started deriding it in the preseason, talking about how our shifts and motion and scoring was a "circus offense". Of course, by then, Roaf quit unannounced because he saw the writing on the wall for what Herm was going to do--the Buttsex Offense. Once Green got lambasted he had all the reason he'd ever need to cut our balls off.

Funny how his "ball control" offense led to us actually having less time of possession than the year before, despite putting more mileage on our back than any other season in the history of football.

But we went 9-7 and hit a superfecta on the last day of the season (probably about a 50-1 shot) only for our record breaking offense to break one more record--one for futility in the first half against a historically bad run defense.

I might have to hit the sauce heavier, because I can't quite force myself to give up the tickets yet.

Anyone know a good paper bag design for my head come week 10??

I give the KC fans credit, the ones that are seeing already what took most of us a couple of years to see-SOME knew earlier than others here in Jets land...as for me I started getting very suspicious after your team handed us our hats on opening day '05

I give the KC fans credit, the ones that are seeing already what took most of us a couple of years to see-SOME knew earlier than others here in Jets land...as for me I started getting very suspicious after your team handed us our hats on opening day '05

Yeah but we didn't have the righteous fans of his former team doing us a solid and giving us a head-up about Herm the way we have done for fans of the Chiefs.

My advice to Chiefs fans:

There is nothing you can do about Hermie so sit back and enjoy mediocrity. Now that you know the secrets of Hermie, you can spot them every time he tries to use them. Thats half the fun is seeing who is going to be thrown under the bus this week and what excuses he is building for himself.

He did it this week as you said... 30 points is Arena... 21 is good for the NFL. Now you know what to expect. 13-17 points every week.

Maybe you'll get lucky and Herm will leave for a college job in a few years....

The bad news for Chiefs fans is that Herm knows exactly the way media likes to be treated. He gives them plenty of great stories in exchange for protection against stories that make him look bad. Like many have said here you can'r let it get to you. Sit back and enjoy it because Herm provides plenty of comical moments. If nothing else his entertainment value is his greatest asset.

Hi All,

I'm a season ticket holder of the Chiefs, and my family has been for the last two decades or so. I'm not a fairweather type, and I consider myself a passionate, and fairly well-informed football fan.

With that being said, I've never been as completely ashamed and embarrassed of any coach attached to our franchise as I am of Herm Edwards, and that includes Greg Robinson.

I really like watching "Hard Knocks", but it seems pretty clear from just a few episodes that Herm is more of a politician concerned with his standing among the league office and his friends (in this case the players) than he is winning football games. Many times on there he's made a complete ass out of himself and the franchise, beginning with the ridiculous Freshman Cheerleader "Welcome to Training Camp" sign and extending through is treatment of the players, his handling of rough situations, etc.

When Kyle Turley gets involved in a fight all we hear is "we need a new right tackle, we need a new right tackle," when what should have been done was a thorough, and well publicized ass-chewing for getting himself thrown out of the game.

He spends all of the preseason so terrified of injury, that we stand no hope in the first two games of the year, because we haven't practiced any of our offensive or defensive schemes.

Yesterday, of course, was the icing on the cake, where not more than one year removed from saying he wouldn't tinker with our offense, he had the audacity to claim that scoring 30 a game isn't really football, it's "Arena League".

I still dont' understand how in the hell this buffoon ever got a job doing anything other than defensive back scouting. He's a complete blight on our franchise, and he has this Chiefs fan's hopes lower than any season I can recall.

So for all of you that are accused of trolling on Chiefs boards, be rest assured that your predictions and warnings did not universally fall on deaf ears.

But how can you cope with an idiot of this magnitude??

Sorry. So freaking sorry. This douchebag gives the press access, so they don't tell the truth about his utter incompetence.

Drink up, and as I did toward the end, hope he lsoes a whole bunch in embarrassing fashion.

You need your owner to step in. If Herm is stupid enough to piss off the owner to the point that he gets rid of the guy, then something will happen. The media will kill your owner, call him cheap, claim he shouldn't own an NFL team, and then they'll knock the HC candidates saying they're too young and inexperienced. If your owner ignores all that and pulls the trigger, your franchise has a future.

Edwards has no business being an NFL HC.

KC fans arent fooled either. The games are not selling out. They didnt sell out last season and this season could be worse.

Seriously? I thought KC always sold out, they have had some of the best fans in the game for a long time. I don't like the Chiefs, but i do think their fans are great. I gotta say i do feel for them.

:yawn: That is not why Herm was hired. Read the league's policy on the interviewing process, please. No team is 'forced' to hire a non-white HC, but they are required to open the interviewing process to them. [highlight]My point (which you all obviously miss, so your reading comprehension is in question, not mine) is Herm's ethnicity has no bearing on his ABILITIES AS A HC. [/highlight]

Nobody said pigment makes Herm suck a$$ as a coach. The Jets' hand was forced; there is not much debate to this. Your vendetta has no merit.

You either have the skills, can acquire them or you don't, simple as that. I wasn't too thrilled with some of the HCs of my favorite teams and I'm glad they're gone. You are the problem, because ethnicity should've NEVER been brought into the conversation at all. And yes, I will call out the haters on that because it's foul, no matter how you slice it.

In sports (as in life) one's character and abilities are the only things that [highlight]should [/highlight]matter.

Truer words n'er been voiced. Herm has a perty mouth; looks good in front of the lens; keeps the naive at bay. Us, the fans, did not play the race card, the NFL did. If the Jets had selected a coach with abilities, we would not have to explain this crap to you.

Nobody said pigment makes Herm suck a$$ as a coach. The Jets' hand was forced; there is not much debate to this. Your vendetta has no merit.

Truer words n'er been voiced. Herm has a perty mouth; looks good in front of the lens; keeps the naive at bay. Us, the fans, did not play the race card, the NFL did. If the Jets had selected a coach with abilities, we would not have to explain this crap to you.

To recap Janaury of 2001; Johnson had just won the bid, even thoguh the Dolans had bid higher. He won in no small part because Tagliabue recommended his bid be approved and the Dolans' rejected.

When it came time to hire a coach-the 3 candidates were John Fox, Marv Lewis and Edwards. Edwards was part of Tagliabue's minority coach hiring program, and a DB coach(whcih exaplains why KC is carrying 11 DBs this year-the silver dollar 9 DB defense, perhaps?).

Lewis was not.Apparently running a great defense occupied his time rather than motivational speeches in ballrooms for the Commissionner. Lewis and Fox each had defenses in the Super Bowl that month. The Bucs, as you recall, had perenially underachieved, and in fact, allowed Al Groh's underdog Jets to come back on them early in September 2000. What great talent Edwards possesssed as a coach remains to be seen to this day-run, run, imcomplete pass, punt? Speeches are nice, but after the first hit, who even remembers? As with "Hard Knocks" and speeches of Coach Jerk Chicken in the past(think the Ravens/Jets NFLN broadcast) usually pretty pointless. Master Motivator-what TOTAL CRAP.

Tagliabue wanted someone from his program to get a HC job, so Lewis and Fox, who clearly were more accomplished as DCs, were passed over so Tags' goody buddy Edwards got the Jets job.

It was embarrassing then. Johnson himself by some accounts was not on speaking terms with Tagliabue after Edwards pulled his escape to KC act. And Mangini's hiring was done almost with religious fervor of getting the best football mind possible in the Jets HC job, damn what the NFL office or commish or anyone thought.

I would also add that as time goes by and opinions of Herm become more erm.. "crystalized", the fact that the Chiefs had to compenstate the jets with a draft pick in order to "pry Herm away" from the jets will certainly stick in collective craw of Cheifs fans. As people are probably aware that pick turned into Leon Washington who looks to have a fair shot at having himself a decent NFL career. We will be happy to show him to Chiefs fans in game 16 this year.

It puts me in mind of the stories about how the Chinese government would, after executing a criminal, send a bill for the bullet to their family. I have been told that this is not in fact true but it makes for a nice story. Anyway... charging for a bullet... a pick for Herman Edwards... How hard must it have been for the Jets front office to ask for that with a straight face I wonder?

The bad news for Chiefs fans is that Herm knows exactly the way media likes to be treated. He gives them plenty of great stories in exchange for protection against stories that make him look bad. Like many have said here you can'r let it get to you. Sit back and enjoy it because Herm provides plenty of comical moments. If nothing else his entertainment value is his greatest asset.

He probably hasnt given Jason Whitlock a whole lot.

Dude he didn't say that. And frankly it is exactly how Herm was hired. He was totally unqualified & ill-prepared for such a rapid promotion; 2 months before he was in charge of a whole team & a slew of coaches, he was in charge of 6 DB's and zero coaches.

THANK YOU!

I know that I speak for many of us when I say that I think that we wanted a QUALIFIED coach (regardless of color) to come in and get us to the promised land. Instead we hired Herm to fill quotas, not because of merit.

Of course the truly Machiavellian theory is that Carl Peterson knew he had an aging team on his hands, with a year or two left before a complete rebuild was going to be required. What better lightning rod to bring in and preside over the dismantling of a team right down to the "full rebuild required" status? Who better than Herm to get THAT JOB done?

Maybe that is the true role that Herman Edwards was brought in to play with the Chiefs and to take all the heat that goes along with that. Funny, if it is true then Herm would get a first hand experience of what he puts his coordinators through before tossing them under vthe bus.

Wow, having a non-white coach was torture for you? How about getting rid of your non-white players as well (and let's see how successful your team will be without them)?

Too bad you can't grasp that diversity isn't a bane, but a BLESSING.

That's right...when in doubt, inject racism.

FACT is that that post was 100% accurate. Herm NEVER gets that interveiw if he weren't "non-white". He was never qualified for the job.

Archived