Week Three Report Card

Maxman

Week Three Report Card

Posted at 10:04 pm in Joe Grinwis, Jets Report Card by Max

teacher.jpg

Miami-28, JETS-31

by Joe Grinwis

Quarterback - B

Pennington - 15-22, 124 yards, 3 TDs (2 passing, 1 rushing)

Chad Pennington returned to the starting lineup and performed like, well, Chad Pennington. No shots down the field, not a lot of yardage at all, but no mistakes and three total touchdowns. Chad

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pennington gets an A today. 3 TD's and 0 turnovers gets you an A. Even with the sissy 5.6ypa. You don't win a game b/c of yards; you win a game by putting up points. And the offense put up 24. You can argue that maybe it isn't A+ b/c they were almost all dumpoff passes. But if dumpoff passes are what's putting points on the board then I'm fine with it.

His problem wasn't games like today. It's that you can't do those dumpoff passes every week against every opponent - good ones - and expect 3+ touchdowns. It happened today b/c Miami is awful. So safe dumpoffs were in order today & CP delivered what was needed. Good job Chad. Too bad we don't get to play crappy teams like Miami every week including the playoffs & the superbowl.

Pennington gets an A today. 3 TD's and 0 turnovers gets you an A. Even with the sissy 5.6ypa. You don't win a game b/c of yards; you win a game by putting up points. And the offense put up 24. You can argue that maybe it isn't A+ b/c they were almost all dumpoff passes. But if dumpoff passes are what's putting points on the board then I'm fine with it.

His problem wasn't games like today. It's that you can't do those dumpoff passes every week against every opponent - good ones - and expect 3+ touchdowns. It happened today b/c Miami is awful. So safe dumpoffs were in order today & CP delivered what was needed. Good job Chad. Too bad we don't get to play crappy teams like Miami every week including the playoffs & the superbowl.

I agree 100%. Chad did everything he needed to do. His pass to Coles for the TD was sweet. He is being penalized for not throwing down field. He didn't need to.

Agree with most, except the Coaching.

I've seen all the Fish games and the best way to beat them is to be conservetive, run at them and dink and dunk,

The Fish have a good but older D. If you keep them on the field and tire them out they collapse.

The Jets scored 31 points, should have been plenty. The D is a real concern.

I disagree with all the grades given to the defense...I'm giving the entire defense an F. They are a pathetic bunch and I can't figure out if it's the coaching, players or a combination of both.

People, we just played one of the crappiest O lines in football and they hung a ton of yardage and 28 points on us...come on already. Mark my words, if we don't get this turned around in a hurry, we will be having a top 10 pick (maybe even higher) in next years draft.:bag:

I can't fault the secondary for lack of pressure, except on a couple of plays, and for poor tackling by the front 7 with Ronnie Brown. They will always be seeing a C or C+ from me if games are played like they were yesterday. David Barrett is the reason their grade drops.

As for Pennington, he managed the game yesterday. Yes he didn't commmitt any turnovers but no matter how you want to spin it, 124 yards in most games will not win you the game. Infact, if it isn't for Leon Washington who knows if the Jets win this game. Chad didn't have a great performance, great performances are worthy of A's. His was a a good one.

The way that Pennington "managed" this game, may have been one of his best jobs in his career. He made the right reads, the right calls at the line and forced the Dolphins into defenses that they did not want to be in.

If there is one way that Chad can "pressure" a defense, is his ability to dictate packages at the line with the hurry up.

It's that you can't do those dumpoff passes every week .

The TD passes were NOT "dump-off" passes. Those were passes that were delivered exactly where they had to be with accuracy. 3/4 of QB's in this league can not complete those passes.

Now, I understand that Chad pennington does not give you everything that a QB must in order to have a full range offense.

But to characterize the TD passes as "dump offs" is doing a great disservice.

The TD passes were NOT "dump-off" passes. Those were passes that were delivered exactly where they had to be with accuracy. 3/4 of QB's in this league can not complete those passes.

Now, I understand that Chad pennington does not give you everything that a QB must in order to have a full range offense.

Agreed, the pass to Coles was incredible. The pass to Baker was thrown where only Baker could catch it. They weren't dump offs.

If the Jets defense had a better game the Jets would have won by 20.

This defense is awful: fins O is bad and we made them look good. Joe, A+ for the fans???. I would give the fans a D. I was very disappointed in 3rd down noise and leaving early in an early must game for any playoff hopes.

The defense shows nothing to give me any confidence that we will shut down any offense- no pass rush- gaping holes on runs and all the missed tackles is very discouraging .

I didn't say they were. You are saying they were.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying. Let me clarify: you cannot simply march downfield using dumpoff passes against every opponent & still expect 3 TD's. His TD passes were outstanding yesterday.

I had no problem with his game yesterday. The gameplan called for ball-control, not quick-strike, particularly with Miami not racking up points & the understandable desire to keep our defense off the field. He gets a 'A' from me for yesterday's performance. Don't know what more I can say. A+ are the games Brady is putting up with 80% completion percentage WITH downfield passing. Matters not. CP easily engineered a good enough offense to put up 3 TD's and a FG.

Don't believe me? Check the tape. Dooshey.

I didn't say they were. You are saying they were.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying. Let me clarify: you cannot simply march downfield using dumpoff passes against every opponent & still expect 3 TD's. His TD passes were outstanding yesterday.

I had no problem with his game yesterday. The gameplan called for ball-control, not quick-strike, particularly with Miami not racking up points & the understandable desire to keep our defense off the field. He gets a 'A' from me for yesterday's performance. Don't know what more I can say. A+ are the games Brady is putting up with 80% completion percentage WITH downfield passing. Matters not. CP easily engineered a good enough offense to put up 3 TD's and a FG.

Don't believe me? Check the tape. Dooshey.

Keepin' ya honest.

You make it sound like the only passes he can create are the dump offs. He has about 75% of what a play book can be adjusted to.

Is that enough? Obviously not. But he is not as one dimensional as you make him see.

i understand that game management and with an "intermdeiate" game will only get you so far. But it is all that we have, till proven otherwise.

I think we all know what Chad's game is, and where his strengths are, Unfortunately, so do defenses. That's what makes what he accomplishes somewhat remarkable.

Keepin' ya honest.

You make it sound like the only passes he can create are the dump offs. He has about 75% of what a play book can be adjusted to.

Is that enough? Obviously not. But he is not as one dimensional as you make him see.

i understand that game management and with an "intermdeiate" game will only get you so far. But it is all that we have, till proven otherwise.

I think we all know what Chad's game is, and where his strengths are, Unfortunately, so do defenses. That's what makes what he accomplishes somewhat remarkable.

CP = SD's personal Jesus?

Week Three Report Card

Posted at 10:04 pm in Joe Grinwis, Jets Report Card by Max

teacher.jpg

Miami-28, JETS-31

by Joe Grinwis

Quarterback - B

Pennington - 15-22, 124 yards, 3 TDs (2 passing, 1 rushing)

Chad Pennington returned to the starting lineup and performed like, well, Chad Pennington. No shots down the field, not a lot of yardage at all, but no mistakes and three total touchdowns. Chad

Jesus Christ had a noodle arm.

:lol:

In all seriousness, maybe the problem is not me. Maybe it is the Jets fans who are so used to seeing Pennington have a fumble or interception in almost every game after last season that their grading techniques are off. 15-22 is good, but they were dink & dunk and anybody can do that with this offense. 124 yards is pathetic. 3 TD's and 0 turnovers is nice yes but is this really worth an A or A- grade? Here are Sunday QB's who earned A's as opposed to Chad's B:

Tom Brady - 23-29, 311 yards, 4 TD

Donovan McNabb - 21-26, 381 yards, 4 TD

Brett Favre - 28-45, 369 yards, 3 TD

If Jesus Christ threw for 124 yards I would have him with a B as well.

fyi,

The pats win the superbowl in 02,04,and 05 with brady averaging 230, 235, and 256. It isn't about putting up giant numbers in yards, it is about getting the job done and not making mistakes that put your team in hard spots. Throwing and running for 3 tds and no ints is exactly that.

In all seriousness, maybe the problem is not me. Maybe it is the Jets fans who are so used to seeing Pennington have a fumble or interception in almost every game after last season that their grading techniques are off. 15-22 is good, but they were dink & dunk and anybody can do that with this offense. 124 yards is pathetic. 3 TD's and 0 turnovers is nice yes but is this really worth an A or A- grade? Here are Sunday QB's who earned A's as opposed to Chad's B:

Tom Brady has won superbowl games with numbers not far from where Chad was yesterday. Look into it. I think 05 and or 02.

PS-Look at the game palnning and play calls.

Would you be more happy with the QB position if there were 290 yards and we lost?

There was empty yards in the kick off return. The Jets ran the ball and controlled drives. They were not going to put up huge passing yards yesterday if Joe Namath was the QB, and they stuck with the same game calling.

This approach of looking at yards, and determining that as the be all end all is an approcah someone used to take in the baseball forum. Until he got banned.

If Jesus Christ threw for 124 yards I would have him with a B as well.

Fair enough. But if Clemens threw for 124, but had 3 touchdowns, and forced the dolphins into all the offsides penalties they had yesterday, while bringing the team a victory despite an absolutely horrid defense...would it still be a B?

I really dont think it would be.

Would you be more happy with the QB position if there were 290 yards and we lost?

There was empty yards in the kick off return. The Jets ran the ball and controlled drives. They were not going to put up huge passing yards yesterday if Joe Namath was the QB, and they stuck with the same game calling.

This approach of looking at yards, and determining that as the be all end all is an approcah someone used to take in the baseball forum. Until he got banned.

True, it wasn't like we had 300 yards on the ground that got it done, we only had like 250 combined yards.

If you look at the drives, we started every drive in the 30s and 40s. If our Defense got some stops we could have had the ball more and maybe gotten the chance to get more yards, but the only benefit to that would have been to stop the fins from scoring and to pad chad's numbers.

Why do you think I noted the three best WINNING Quarterbacks of the day yesterday?;-)

I'm not looking at it just by yardage, even though yardage is a big key of it. He didn't make any stand out plays. Yes the pass to Chris Baker had some nice touch on it but the catch was more impressive than the pass. What other play that Chad made can you think of was a great play? His 2 yard TD run? I wouldn't call that a great play.

I'm not saying Chad didn't have a good day, I'm saying that infact he did have a good day. I'm just saying he didn't have a great day and I believe coming up in the current school system that B = Good, A = Great.

Why do you think I noted the three best WINNING Quarterbacks of the day yesterday?;-)

I'm not looking at it just by yardage, even though yardage is a big key of it. He didn't make any stand out plays. Yes the pass to Chris Baker had some nice touch on it but the catch was more impressive than the pass. What other play that Chad made can you think of was a great play? His 2 yard TD run? I wouldn't call that a great play.

I'm not saying Chad didn't have a good day, I'm saying that infact he did have a good day. I'm just saying he didn't have a great day and I believe coming up in the current school system that B = Good, A = Great.

Joe, you are right. Dont sweat it.

As I stated earlier. 3/4 of the QBs in this league could not put the passes to Coles and Baker where they neded to be, in order to be caught.

Those WERE impressive. He also managed a very smart game. I know, you can't quantify that in numbers.

as I also said earlier I have no problem with the garde.

My problem lies in the trivial mention of 124 yards, as if that were even a part of the equation. It is not. Or, a very minor part.

What is a qb's number one job in a game? Put his team in position to win, and not make mistakes. It is not to put up huge passing yard numbers.

Max if the report card can't be written objectively when it comes to the QB situation maybe it's time for a change in writers.;)

Right. Because 15-22, 124 yards and 3 TD's deserves to be up there with 21-26, 360 yards and 4 TD's. Lets see, which is an A, great, performance and which is a B, good, performance?

You people who want to hand Chad Pennington an A or A+ for yesterdays game make me laugh. This is done objectively, whether you want to believe it is done that way or not, I really could give a damn.

Archived