JETS fans are disturbing...

ECURB

I can understand not liking a player becuase he plays like crap... its understandable... but the pure hatred for Chad has gotten sickening...

This is a franchise with fans that idolize a mediocore QB in Joe Namath... yet is trashing a QB who wins more games and has a better TD/INT ratio than Namath in Pennington...

Joe Namath only completed 50% of his passes

Joe Namath almost always threw more INT's than TD's in his career finishing with 173 TD's and 220 INT's

Joe Namath barely played in multiple seasons due to injury...

Chad is a better QB both in statistics and wins...

Now we move on to the Superbowl argument...

Chad Pennington was one game away from the AFC Championship game in 04'... one kick... if they win that game that would be 2 postseason wins in a row... as many as Namath ever had... aside from that...

Joe Namath did not throw a single touchdown in the superbowl... and the Colts handed the JETS 4 INT's and 1 fumble...

Joe Namath is guilty of EXACTLY what Chad "bashers" claim... he couldn't put up points on the board and the rest of the team bailed him out...

Namath has only 2 playoff wins (1 loss)... with a grand total of 3 TD's and 4 INT's in 3 games....

Why do we as JETS fans hold Namath so high... yet bash Chad Pennington?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Youve been thinking up a counter all week, havent you???;)

I agree that the abuse Chad gets from Jet fans is annoying and IMO still undeserving but Namath won us a SB, that instantly makes him a legend with this team. Chads got unlucky, if not for the injuries I really do think he would have been a great, not good, great QB for us.

Youve been thinking up a counter all week, havent you???;)

I agree that the abuse Chad gets from Jet fans is annoying and IMO still undeserving but Namath won us a SB, that instantly makes him a legend with this team. Chads got unlucky, if not for the injuries I really do think he would have been a great, not good, great QB for us.

Right but if Chad went on to win a superbowl last year or this year... and didnt score any points... people would still be calling for his head...

Namath beat a team with an injured QB and a pick happy backup QB in the superbowl... and still didnt get any TD's...

He did EXACTLY what Chad bashers blame Chad for... leading the team to FG's...

Your post is disturbing, but here's one big reason:

sb3.jpg

He didnt score any points in that game... and beat a turnover happy Colts team... Chad would get no credit for that... everyone would say the D carried him on their back...

IM not going to allow fans to bash our most winning QB ever... and continue to hold Namath so high

Namath would have been a great QB if his knees were better is one argument... guess what? Chad would have been a great QB if his arm wasnt always hurt...

Jet fans want to win badly. How we get there is where we differ from you.

I dont care if Chad never plays another game... the way some fans look at him is sickening... and in the same minute they will look at Namath in a good way,... its sickening...

Right but if Chad went on to win a superbowl last year or this year... and didnt score any points... people would still be calling for his head...

Namath beat a team with an injured QB and a pick happy backup QB in the superbowl... and still didnt get any TD's...

He did EXACTLY what Chad bashers blame Chad for... leading the team to FG's...

I doubt that personally (with the exception of Barton) that any fans would be calling for his head if he that one off, seriously.

I think the real thng that annoys Jet fans about Chad is the arm strength, the fact that that annoys them annoys the hell out of me. We did not lose any of the last 2 games because of Chads arm, we lost them because of 2 bad throws.

Im one of the very few people still with Chad and I really do think he can bounce back big time, but if he doesnt produce this week, even I'll be wanting Clemens in.

I dont care if Chad never plays another game... the way some fans look at him is sickening... and in the same minute they will look at Namath in a good way,... its sickening...

Two different era and distinct QB's Namath has a championship and a defining moment in NFL history behind him.

He didnt score any points in that game... and beat a turnover happy Colts team... Chad would get no credit for that... everyone would say the D carried him on their back...

I guess you really are missing the point.

It's about the team success, not an individual.

You probably werent alive for SB III, but the Colts had a pretty damn good defense, Namath called all his own plays, most of them at the LOS, and LED the team to the Super Bowl, and was the winning QB.

No one cares that he didnt throw a TD pass in that game except for some Chad idolizer who made the mistake of comparing him to Namath. :character41:

I can understand not liking a player becuase he plays like crap... its understandable... but the pure hatred for Chad has gotten sickening...

This is a franchise with fans that idolize a mediocore QB in Joe Namath... yet is trashing a QB who wins more games and has a better TD/INT ratio than Namath in Pennington...

Joe Namath only completed 50% of his passes

Joe Namath almost always threw more INT's than TD's in his career finishing with 173 TD's and 220 INT's

Joe Namath barely played in multiple seasons due to injury...

Chad is a better QB both in statistics and wins...

Now we move on to the Superbowl argument...

Chad Pennington was one game away from the AFC Championship game in 04'... one kick... if they win that game that would be 2 postseason wins in a row... as many as Namath ever had... aside from that...

Joe Namath did not throw a single touchdown in the superbowl... and the Colts handed the JETS 4 INT's and 1 fumble...

Joe Namath is guilty of EXACTLY what Chad "bashers" claim... he couldn't put up points on the board and the rest of the team bailed him out...

Namath has only 2 playoff wins (1 loss)... with a grand total of 3 TD's and 4 INT's in 3 games....

Why do we as JETS fans hold Namath so high... yet bash Chad Pennington?

Different eras Ecurb. These days they make it so much easier for offenses with penalties, etc, even average QB's will probably have a better TD/INT ratio than Namath.

I like Chad a lot. He is a great leader, very smart and mostly a pretty good game manager.

That being said, this teams needs a wake up call and he is not playing his best so it is time to show everyone on that team that unless they play up to their potential, this season is going down the tubes.

It is interesting, because Herm had a way of getting players to come out and execute BETTER after halftime and it seems like Mangini hasn't figure that out yet.

2nd half letdowns are killing this team.

BZ

I guess you really are missing the point.

It's about the team success, not an individual.

You probably werent alive for SB III, but the Colts had a pretty damn good defense, Namath called all his own plays, most of them at the LOS, and LED the team to the Super Bowl, and was the winning QB.

No one cares that he didnt throw a TD pass in that game except for some Chad idolizer who made the mistake of comparing him to Namath. :character41:

Would have a won that superbowl with a Herm Edwards type at coach?

Rex Grossman got to a superbowl... is he great?

Different era? Other QB's managed to put up good #'s and win... why couldnt Namath?

If UNitas was 100% the Colts win that game... Unitas actually threw more TD's than INT's in his career (though Its not possible, it was a different era :rolleyes: )

The similarities are startling...

Chad had a great 1st playoff game VS the Chargers...

Then he couldnt get any TD's VS the Steelers

Namath had a greta 1st playoff game VS the Radiers

Then he couldnt score any TD's vs the Colts

The difference is that Namath's team bailed him out in the superbowl... made the kicks needed to win... Chad's did not...

You really are way over the edge with your man-crush on Chaddy.

Are you telling me that if a Chad-led team went to the SB and won the whole damn thing, you would have a problem if he didnt throw a TD pass in the game?

:rl:

Wow at this thread. Just wow.

The difference is that Namath's team bailed him out in the superbowl... made the kicks needed to win... Chad's did not...

What??? The Jets led 16 - 0 in the fourth quarter. Unitas scored a late TD against the Jets' prevent defense. When did Namath need to be bailed out? He lead his team to 16 points against one of the greatest defenses of all time with a ball control offense designed to keep the Colts offense off the field as much as possible. The Colts lost one game all season until the SB.

If UNitas was 100% the Colts win that game... Unitas actually threw more TD's than INT's in his career (though Its not possible, it was a different era :rolleyes: )

The similarities are startling...

Chad had a great 1st playoff game VS the Chargers...

Then he couldnt get any TD's VS the Steelers

Namath had a greta 1st playoff game VS the Radiers

Then he couldnt score any TD's vs the Colts

I know this is just a bait-fest, but c'mon. Unitas couldn't be "100%" in that Super Bowl because he was 47 years old. I'm sick of that bull**** Unitas argument. Earl Morral was a pro bowl QB that year. The stiff threw a couple of completions in garbage time. My hero. Watch the whole game sometime, not the bull**** NFL films crap. Namath threw balls to Sauer that scared the living piss out of them. Namath could have dropped a bomb on them any time. He didn't have to, so he played safe and smart. Remember one thing, the "two playoff teams" the Jets won were before the league was watered down. The Raiders team they played wasn't exactly the equivalent of winning the wild card.

IM not going to allow fans to bash our most winning QB ever... and continue to hold Namath so high

Namath would have been a great QB if his knees were better is one argument... guess what? Chad would have been a great QB if his arm wasnt always hurt...

you're too young to have ever seen Joe Namath play on a week to week basis-he was the **** ec-NO comparison to what we're seeing from a guy I too, like you, like and respect but you're way off when you start trying to compare a HOF QB to Chad-WAY WAY WAY off bro

Wrong. Chad never had even average arm strength, by NFL standards, even before any injuries.

you're too young to have ever seen Joe Namath play on a week to week basis-he was the **** ec-NO comparison to what we're seeing from a guy I too, like you, like and respect but you're way off when you start trying to compare a HOF QB to Chad-WAY WAY WAY off bro

I only brought it up because Chris Mortenson just came out with a new book ranking Namath as the most over-rated QB ever... he made some GREAT points... and it got me thinking... why do we hate Chad but love Joe?? If Joe didnt have a good team around him... he wins nothing... and goes down as a crappy gunslinger who threw too many INT's and couldnt carry a team on his back...

Just sayin...

Wrong. Chad never had even average arm strength, by NFL standards, even before any injuries.

Yes he did... go look at the games... even with a hurt arm he made nice throws in SD...

but this isnt even about arm strength... Chad wins more often than Joe... Chad has just as many playoff wins as Joe... Chad did it all with Herm coaching him...

Posted: January 13, 1969

Super Bowl III

New York 16, Baltimore 7

SuperBowl.com wire reports

Joe Namath was named MVP after leading the Jets to victory in Super Bowl III.(AP)

Jets quarterback Joe Namath "guaranteed" victory on the Thursday before the game, then went out and led the AFL to its first Super Bowl victory over a Baltimore team that had lost only once in 16 games all season.

Namath, chosen the outstanding player, completed 17 of 28 passes for 206 yards and directed a steady attack that dominated the NFL champions after the Jets' defense had intercepted Colts quarterback Earl Morrall three times in the first half.

The Jets had 337 total yards, including 121 rushing yards by Matt Snell.

Johnny Unitas, who had missed most of the season with a sore elbow, came off the bench and led Baltimore to its only touchdown late in the fourth quarter after New York led 16-0.

I like Chad, and yes, we probably overrate Namath a bit because of the SB and the charisma. But comparing Chad to Namath is laughable. It is like comparing Bruce Lee to Don Knotts. No QB ever scared defenses the way Namath did. And despite all of his positives, Chad's arm is so weak, I can't imagine any QB in the NFL today who defenses are less afraid of. And fear creates opportunity. Namath's arm and Maynard's speed had more than a little to do with Snell and Saure's big days in SB III.

Yes he did... go look at the games... even with a hurt arm he made nice throws in SD...

but this isnt even about arm strength... Chad wins more often than Joe... Chad has just as many playoff wins as Joe... Chad did it all with Herm coaching him...

Chad was a good Jets QB-just as Vinny and Ken O'Brien and Richard Todd were before but Joe was a great QB-I've liked them all including the back-ups, the thing is it's over for Chad Pennington from what we've been seeing-when your opponents start joking about your QB it's time to make a change-at this point I swear I would rather see what even Marques Tui has instead-again, this coming from a BIG CHAD PENNINGTON FAN

"nice" throws is different from arm strength. No one questions Chad's accuracy or touch. The lack of respect and limitation of throws caused by his weak arm is the root of many of the offense's problems.

Obviously I wont change the minds of the old timers that have a romanticized view of Joe Willy... but I am trying to point out the startling difference in the way our generation treats a players VS Namath's generation...

Namath already had 87 INT's in his career by the 68' season... and only 78 TD's....

Would this generation allow Chad to throw that many INT's and still support him? Even if you adjust to modern day passing... the #'s still suck...

I think Namath was a great leader... but not a great fundamental QB... which is exactly what Chad's problem is... he has unlimited potential as a leader... but he has limitations as a passer...

Same idea between the two of them... yet instead of supporting Chad like fans did Joe... they are calling for his head... sickening... what have we turned into? Pretty crappy fans if you ask me...

Super Bowl III

New York 16, Baltimore 7

Joe Namath was named MVP after leading the Jets to victory in Super Bowl III.(AP)

Jets quarterback Joe Namath "guaranteed" victory on the Thursday before the game, then went out and led the AFL to its first Super Bowl victory over a Baltimore team that had lost only once in 16 games all season.

Namath, chosen the outstanding player, completed 17 of 28 passes for 206 yards and directed a steady attack that dominated the NFL champions after the Jets' defense had intercepted Colts quarterback Earl Morrall three times in the first half.

Johnny Unitas, who had missed most of the season with a sore elbow, came off the bench and led Baltimore to its only touchdown late in the fourth quarter after New York led 16-0.

That only proves my case... he did exactly what Chad does... he managed the game and relied on his running game and defense to make plays...

"nice" throws is different from arm strength. No one questions Chad's accuracy or touch. The lack of respect and limitation of throws caused by his weak arm is the root of many of the offense's problems.

He had AT LEAST average strength back then... if not more... those throws were not ducks..

Super Bowl III

New York 16, Baltimore 7

When I was in the 8th grade I wrote a poem for my school about the SB game using Casey At The Bat as a starting point JC..."Ther outlook wasn't brilliant for the New York Jets that day.."I mentioned all the big plays including Tom Matte's 52 yard run-I wish I still had it-I used to have a great football scrapbook too with cards, magazine stories, pics and newspaper articles from around the '68 season to around 72-73

I like Chad, and yes, we probably overrate Namath a bit because of the SB and the charisma. But comparing Chad to Namath is laughable. It is like comparing Bruce Lee to Don Knotts. No QB ever scared defenses the way Namath did. And despite all of his positives, Chad's arm is so weak, I can't imagine any QB in the NFL today who defenses are less afraid of. And fear creates opportunity. Namath's arm and Maynard's speed had more than a little to do with Snell and Saure's big days in SB III.

1968 Baltimore Colts

Record: 13 - 1 - 0

Head Coach: Don Shula

Points scored: 402 (#2 of 16 in the NFL)

Points allowed: 144 (#1 of 16 in the NFL)

They also had four shutouts that season.

And there was no parity back then. None of this 9-7 and make the playoffs.

They shut out the Cleveland Browns 31-0 in the NFL CG.

I remember sitting in Shea that day while the Jets were playing the Raiduhs, and we saw the scoreboard kept showing them increasing their lead on the browns. They really were a scary good team.

That only proves my case... he did exactly what Chad does... he managed the game and relied on his running game and defense to make plays...

What Chad does against bad teams. At least he used to. Namath did it against one of the all time greatest defenses in the biggest game ever. You can manage a game and rely on a running attack when you are playing a crappy team. Otherwise, you need an arm that the defense respects and / or a powerful o-line. The Jets have neither.

Obviously I wont change the minds of the old timers that have a romanticized view of Joe Willy... but I am trying to point out the startling difference in the way our generation treats a players VS Namath's generation...

Namath already had 87 INT's in his career by the 68' season... and only 78 TD's....

Would this generation allow Chad to throw that many INT's and still support him? Even if you adjust to modern day passing... the #'s still suck...

I think Namath was a great leader... but not a great fundamental QB... which is exactly what Chad's problem is... he has unlimited potential as a leader... but he has limitations as a passer...

Same idea between the two of them... yet instead of supporting Chad like fans did Joe... they are calling for his head... sickening... what have we turned into? Pretty crappy fans if you ask me...

Better to romanticize someone you've seen than bad mouth someone you haven't.

Better to romanticize someone you've seen than bad mouth someone you haven't.

Who am I bad mouthing?

I have used nothing but facts... maybe a few opinions based on facts...

You guys have offered nothing other than a game won by FG's and a 100 yard RB... and talking about how he scared defenses with his 7.4 yards per attempt. (Chad is 7.2 YPA FYI)

Lets put it in this perspective...

Chad's peak was a game that his kicker lost for him (If Brien hits ONE of them... JETS win)

Namath's peak was a game that his kicker/rb won for him (if the kicker misses a couple of those it would have been a different game)

Now we can agree that even if Brien made that kick... Chad still didnt win a superbowl.. fine

Chad has a better win %

Chad has a better TD/INT ratio

Chad has won just as many playoff games

Both QB's declined right after their peak... Namath because of his knees and Chad because of his throwing arm...

Yet we continue to love Namath... but hate Chad... both had great heart and desire to win... and both took this team places... one more than the other... but hardly different enough to LOVE one guy and HATE the other...

They are both QB's who couldn't accomplish everything they wanted because of injuries...

Archived