JETS fans are disturbing...

ECURB

Who am I bad mouthing?

I have used nothing but facts... maybe a few opinions based on facts...

You guys have offered nothing other than a game won by FG's and a 100 yard RB... and talking about how he scared defenses with his 7.4 yards per attempt. (Chad is 7.2 YPA FYI)

put the pipe down now EC...please-trust me there's no comparison-cite any stats you like it's like the difference between Nolan Ryan and the guy that beat the Yankees the other night

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ecurb i agree with everything that you're saying and everybody keeps bashing chad because he hasnt gotten the team to a superbowl. anybody notice i used the word TEAM?? because thats the word that everyone seems to forget. its not only chad that cant get this team to a superbowl, but this team cant get itself to a superbowl.

put the pipe down now EC...please-trust me there's no comparison-cite any stats you like it's like the difference between Nolan Ryan and the guy that beat the Yankees the other night

This isnt strictly about stats... its the way they are treated and will be remembered...

We remember Joe Willy as a superbowl winning strong armed QB...

- in Reality... he threw a ton of picks and was hobbled for most of his career...

We think of Chad as a QB who blew the Steelers game and has a noodle arm

- in Reality... he did the same thing as JoeWilly... managed the game... but his kicker came up short... and he has been hobbled most of his career

I dont understand how the views can be so far apart... I dont mind people thinking more of Joe Willy... thats not what Im trying to prove... Im trying to figure out why there is such a large gap in between the like-hate for these two guys...

How can you outright love Joe-Willy and in the same breath,... cheer when Chad gets hurt? Its sick.

ecurb i agree with everything that you're saying and everybody keeps bashing chad because he hasnt gotten the team to a superbowl. anybody notice i used the word TEAM?? because thats the word that everyone seems to forget. its not only chad that cant get this team to a superbowl, but this team cant get itself to a superbowl.

ONE KICK away from being in the AFC Championship game... ONE KICK

With a hurt arm...

Namath relied on kicks to win a superbowl... but Chad isnt allowed to rely on kicks to get there? Thats bull****

Lets put it in this perspective...

Chad's peak was a game that his kicker lost for him (If Brien hits ONE of them... JETS win)

Namath's peak was a game that his kicker/rb won for him (if the kicker misses a couple of those it would have been a different game)

Now we can agree that even if Brien made that kick... Chad still didnt win a superbowl.. fine

Chad has a better win %

Chad has a better TD/INT ratio

Chad has won just as many playoff games

Both QB's declined right after their peak... Namath because of his knees and Chad because of his throwing arm...

Yet we continue to love Namath... but hate Chad... both had great heart and desire to win... and both took this team places... one more than the other... but hardly different enough to LOVE one guy and HATE the other...

They are both QB's who couldn't accomplish everything they wanted because of injuries...

If you saw him you would know. Even when limited by injuries , it was rare that Namath wasn't the best player on the field. He could win games by himself. I really only remember him AFTER he was old and spent, but he was still amazing to see. Comparing him to Pennington based on losses sustained in the mid-70's would be like Pennington taking a year or two off and then coming back to play under Rich Kotite for a 3 or 4 extra years.

PS: In case you didn't know, the playoffs are watered down now.

If you saw him you would know. Even when limited by injuries , it was rare that Namath wasn't the best player on the field. He could win games by himself. I really only remember him AFTER he was old and spent, but he was still amazing to see. Comparing him to Pennington based on losses sustained in the mid-70's would be like Pennington taking a year or two off and then coming back to play under Rich Kotite for a 3 or 4 extra years.

PS: In case you didn't know, the playoffs are watered down now.

He threw more INT's than TDs heading up to the Superbowl... I posted it before... 80 something to 70 something...

The JETS records...

'65 / 5-8-1

66' / 6-6-2

67' / 8-5-1

68' / 11-3

In those years he threw more than 10 INT's than TD's and had a 30-22-4 record

You really think if Chad was 30-22-4 with 10 more INT's than TD's and won a superbowl we would think of him the same way??? People would say he is just like Rex Grossman and lucky to be on a good team...

How can you outright love Joe-Willy and in the same breath,... cheer when Chad gets hurt? Its sick.

You're nuts :-P

Up until last week i supported EM's decision to start CP.

I have never hated him, nor do I worship him like...some unnamed poster LOL

You have never seen Namath play, have you? And Weeb Ewbank was not the greatest offensive mind in the game. My father would sit in the stands and correctly predict the plays, except for when Namath audibled.

You dont know what it was like watching him and his offense come on to the field to do battle. He also had the fastest release of any QB I ever saw. Dont even talk about fundamentals. Dont even go there. Marino had a nice release, too, but fvck him lol.

You are too hung up on your stats. Fvck QB ratings. It's about winning.

You're nuts :-P

Up until last week i supported EM's decision to start CP.

I have never hated him, nor do I worship him like...some unnamed poster LOL

You have never seen Namath play, have you? And Weeb Ewbank was not the greatest offensive mind in the game. My father would sit in the stands and correctly predict the plays, except for when Namath audibled.

You dont know what it was like watching him and his offense come on to the field to do battle. He also had the fastest release of any QB I ever saw. Dont even talk about fundamentals. Dont even go there. Marino had a nice release, too, but fvck him lol.

You are too hung up on your stats. Fvck QB ratings. It's about winning.

He didnt win too often either though... Chad has a better win % and has won just as many post season games...

Come back when Chad has one.

:biggrin:

Also... I am in now way trying to make this a CHAD vs NAMATH fight... in terms of playing ability...

I am trying to determine why Chad gets treated like **** and Namath gets treated like a god... Chad has done a lot for his team as well and won just as many post season games...

Yet he is treated like **** by a large # of fans... makes no sense...

The reason Joe has more INT's than Chad is Because Joe was throwing the ball DOWN the

Field , Something Chad Can't do and Has No business doing either.Period......

The Chance for Int's is greater when the ball is thrown Down the Field YES??

When you Dink and dunk the ball down the field chances are likely to favor Noodle arm YES??

The reason Joe has more INT's than Chad is Because Joe was throwing the ball DOWN the

When you Dink and dunk the ball down the field chances are likely to favor Noodle arm YES??

Joe Namath - 7.4 Yards Per Pass Attempt

Chad Pennington - 7.2 Yards Per Pass Attempt

Also your trying to turn this into a stat debate... the question/problem is... why is Chad treated like ****...

He didnt win too often either though... Chad has a better win % and has won just as many post season games...

Um... ecurb, he was a rookie in 1965. A rookie who took over a team and improved himself and the team every year until they won the big game. Had another big year after the super bowl and then was injured badly enough that he missed almost two full seasons. Then he came back and guess what: the Jets held on too long and tried relive past magic that wasn't coming back. Sound familiar?

PS: When I said if you saw him, that's precisely what I meant. You only had to see him. Stats don't mean everything. Statistically Campbell isn't as good as Eric Dickerson.

Also, Namath played at a time when almost all AFL teams played bump-and-run man-to-man coverage and there was no 5 yard bump limit rule. You could bump a receiver all the way down the field until the ball was thrown. Kind of like what Ty Law did for years until they decided to enforce against the Patriots what was really an existing rule for everyone else. Funny how the Pats haven't "owned" P Manning since then.

ONE KICK away from being in the AFC Championship game... ONE KICK

With a hurt arm...

Namath relied on kicks to win a superbowl... but Chad isnt allowed to rely on kicks to get there? Thats bull****

i agree with you. everybody says that chad needs to get the team to a superbowl. chad is the quarterback but their superbowl chances shouldnt rest solely on chads shoulders. this is a team effort and right now this jets team is not good enough to win a superbowl.

This thread is a double negative. You have to be quite disturbed to love a team like the Jets.

And while I love Chad, he'll be comparable to Namath when he wins a superbowl and guarantees he'll do it against unbelievable odds(the only thing comparable would be guaranteeing defeating a fully healthy Pats squad in Foxboro this season).

I just don't see how Chad Pennington can be compared to Joe Namath. Different eras, different results.

Joe Namath guarenteed victory in a Super Bowl, and did it. Against a Baltimore Colts team that was 19-point favorites and perennial winners.

Chad Pennington has won 1 division title (in a 3-way tiebreaker) and 2 wild card round playoff games.

Ecurb, you say Pennington would be looked at differently if we had a stronger team around him. This isn't the reality. Great quarterbacks are able to have success even when the team around him isn't great. With Pennington, he has such little margin for error because of his lack of arm strength that we have to string together perfect 11 or 12-play scoring drives just to get points on the board.

Pennington may be getting extreme amounts of negativity directed at him, but not all of it is unfounded. This is a franchise that has been starved for success, and already, just 5 weeks into the season, you can chalk it up that we will be Super Bowl-less once again for a 38th straight year.

And Pennington, with 5 picks in his last 2 games, is a big reason for that. And you know what? I'm NOT going to feel sorry for him. And there are 64 million reasons why I don't.

Guys, be nice to ecurb. He's just in denial. I think it's just been too hard for him to come to grips that Chad's time as the starting QB is almost finished. Unfortunately, I came to that conclusion the other day when I was ordering my Titan throwback jersey. There I was, all ready to click on Chad's jersey when I finally realized "he's not going to be here much longer", so I ordered a Cotchery one. I'm a huge fan of Chad's and that was a big decision on my part.

Will I be happier than a pig in **** if Chad turns things around and stays the starter? Hell yeah. But I'm resigned to the fact that his time will soon come to an end. That doesn't mean I won't cheer for him or hope the team loses like some so-called "fans" just to see Clemens. I'll cheer him as loudly as ever come Sunday.

ecurb hasn't reached that point yet.

Guys, be nice to ecurb. He's just in denial. I think it's just been too hard for him to come to grips that Chad's time as the starting QB is almost finished. Unfortunately, I came to that conclusion the other day when I was ordering my Titan throwback jersey. There I was, all ready to click on Chad's jersey when I finally realized "he's not going to be here much longer", so I ordered a Cotchery one. I'm a huge fan of Chad's and that was a big decision on my part.

Will I be happier than a pig in **** if Chad turns things around and stays the starter? Hell yeah. But I'm resigned to the fact that his time will soon come to an end. That doesn't mean I won't cheer for him or hope the team loses like some so-called "fans" just to see Clemens. I'll cheer him as loudly as ever come Sunday.

ecurb hasn't reached that point yet.

Admittedly it's hard to come to a "realization" like that when Chad's your favorite player like ecurb, myself, or Irish(i think for him?). It's not that we enjoy watching the team fail, thats the last thing in the world we want...we just want to see the team succeed with Chad leading it.

And you're not the only one who'd love to see Chad turn it around. Heck, if Chad took us to the promised land even Barton would be singing his praises :P

With Pennington, he has such little margin for error because of his lack of arm strength that we have to string together perfect 11 or 12-play scoring drives just to get points on the board.

Great point. And for you Chad fans, those drives really highlight all of the other skills Chad has. Not only do the defenses stack up tight making Chad have to make perfect throws just to complete short passes, but the lack of big plays makes him have to make numerous first downs to keep a drive going. The odds are stacked against him. If he had any arm strength at all, he would been one of the greats. It is really a shame.

I'm NOT going to feel sorry for him.
And there are 64 million reasons why I don't.

people can say all they want about his dink and dunks and his lack of arm strength and how poorly he played but when people start making personal attacks that crosses a line. i support chad 100% and it doesnt bother me when people talk about his poor performance, but when people go as far as to say that they wish he gets injured just so he can sit, that offends me personally as a fan. i do feel bad for chad because regardless of how he plays, he shouldnt have people threatening his health

And you're not the only one who'd love to see Chad turn it around. Heck, if Chad took us to the promised land even Barton would be singing his praises :P

I doubt it. He would probably die of shock first.

You win that as a team... they had the #3 defense in the league... give Chad a top 3 defense and a kicker that can make kicks in 04' and he would have one and you know it.

Wow. It has to be 3rd? I guess the 4th rated D in 2004 was not good enough.

Chad still needed Nick Kaeding choking to get this team out of the wildcard round.

Imagine how long Fragile Chad would last in the old AFL? None of the rules that protect a QB today or the rules mentioned above by Maynard. Chad would be gutted.

I doubt it. He would probably die of shock first.

Wow. It has to be 3rd? I guess the 4th rated D in 2004 was not good enough.

Chad still needed Nick Kaeding choking to get this team out of the wildcard round.

Imagine how long Fragile Chad would last in the old AFL? None of the rules that protect a QB today or the rules mentioned above by Maynard. Chad would be gutted.

The Chargers needed the stupidity of Eric Barton to force that oppurtunity.:roll:

I can understand not liking a player becuase he plays like crap... its understandable... but the pure hatred for Chad has gotten sickening...

This is a franchise with fans that idolize a mediocore QB in Joe Namath... yet is trashing a QB who wins more games and has a better TD/INT ratio than Namath in Pennington...

Joe Namath only completed 50% of his passes

Joe Namath almost always threw more INT's than TD's in his career finishing with 173 TD's and 220 INT's

Joe Namath barely played in multiple seasons due to injury...

Chad is a better QB both in statistics and wins...

Now we move on to the Superbowl argument...

Chad Pennington was one game away from the AFC Championship game in 04'... one kick... if they win that game that would be 2 postseason wins in a row... as many as Namath ever had... aside from that...

Joe Namath did not throw a single touchdown in the superbowl... and the Colts handed the JETS 4 INT's and 1 fumble...

Joe Namath is guilty of EXACTLY what Chad "bashers" claim... he couldn't put up points on the board and the rest of the team bailed him out...

Namath has only 2 playoff wins (1 loss)... with a grand total of 3 TD's and 4 INT's in 3 games....

Why do we as JETS fans hold Namath so high... yet bash Chad Pennington?

You are so off base with this it's bordering on DWC territory. While reading the Dallas paper today, to get some insight on the Pats/Cowboys matchup, I found this.

Today's QBs rate higher, not necessarily better

Johnny Unitas was the MVP of the NFL in 1967 when he led the Baltimore Colts to an 11-1-2 record. He completed only 58.5 percent of his passes and threw almost as many interceptions (16) as touchdowns (20) for a passer efficiency rating of 83.6.

This week, there are 17 NFL quarterbacks with passer efficiency ratings better than Unitas in his MVP season. His best passer efficiency rating was 97.4 in 1965. There are six quarterbacks this week with efficiency ratings better than that.

Tom Brady sits atop the passing chart with an absurd rating of 128.7. The NFL record is 121.1 set by Peyton Manning in 2004. Jake Delhomme is second in passing this week with a 111.9 rating, followed by Manning at 108.6, David Garrard at 105.4 and Jeff Garcia at 103.6.

Johnny U never completed more than the 58 percent of his passes in a season. Twenty-three quarterbacks are completing better than 60 percent of their passes this season and three are in the 70s, topped by Brady's 74.1 percentage.

Brady already has passed for 16 touchdowns in five games. That's four fewer than Unitas threw in 1967 in 14 games. So are we to assume Brady is a better quarterback than Unitas? Are we to assume that there are several quarterbacks in today's NFL better than Unitas?

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has a 128.7 passer efficiency rating this season.

Understand that these quarterbacks played two different games. You can't compare them with the same measuring stick.

Back in the 1950s and '60s when Unitas was king of kings, the NFL employed downfield passing attacks. He had two wide receivers who went against a defense's two best cornerbacks in man coverage. There were no offensive or defensive "packages." The tight end spent most of his time blocking, but occasionally would run a route against a safety.

Those were a quarterback's three primary targets. There were no three- and four-wide receiver sets where offenses flooded the field with options for the passer.

Unitas had three options in 1967

Also your trying to turn this into a stat debate... the question/problem is... why is Chad treated like ****...

Beacuse he plays like ****. Chokes in the big game and let's us down 9 out of 10 times.

There is really a 2 page thread saying Chad is better than Namath and you haven't been laughed off the site? The Nation must be slipping.

Okay this is really too much, just too much. Never mind the hypocrisy in hating on Namath while demanding people don't hate on CP, but the outright falsity and lack of football knowledge is just absolutely astounding.

Thank god we have Gainzo and the other Pats fans on here right now, I don't think I could take this thread otherwise. Gainzo, that was a gem.

How can anyone knock Joe Willy? Even the Pats fans respect him, but our own alleged fans don't? Probably because Irish Jet and ecurb aren't Jets fans but rather Chad fans.

Namath had NOTHING on those teams. NOTHING. The rules were biased against passing, yet Namath STILL had his quick release and went down the field. You could mug WRs and there would be no call. You were not allowed to line up in the arrow formation, but instead it was a straight parallel line so you were susceptible to rushes off the edge. NO QB had results nearly equal to what everyone has now. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would almost certainly look like crap in that era, guaranteed, ****ing GUARANTEED. You HAD TO WATCH NAMATH PLAY! YOU HAVE TO AT LEAST WATCH OTHER QBS OF THAT ERA PLAY AND COMPARE NAMATH TO THEM, NOT CHAD TO NAMATH!!!!!!

This should really be a bannable offense. This is a new low even for ecurb, and Irish Jet how could you possibly support this nonsense? I am really embarassed at you two today. What the **** were you thinking when you hit "Post"?

You win that as a team... they had the #3 defense in the league... give Chad a top 3 defense and a kicker that can make kicks in 04' and he would have one and you know it.

Thats complete bull**** and you know it. First off Chad has stated he probably wouldn't have been able to play the next game cause his torn rotator cuff was killing him. That means Quincy would have been our QB and this goes back to the whole Chad is an egg argument who will always get injured and can't consitently lead a team. Secondly even with a healthy Chad the Patriots would have beaten us.

Archived