With the First pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the NY Jets select.........

SouthernJet

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather have Chris Long than Campbell.

chris long doesn't fit the 3-4 DE mold IMO, but i could be wrong

An awesome pick it would be. He's already running a pro style offense at Kentucky calling plays at the line, and IMHO would adapt to the transition to the NFL very quicky.

he has accuracy issues

I know it is very very early, but if you look at the worst teams in the league as of right now, the only team that needs a running back is the Jets (who you can say dont really need one, but I disagree)

Miami - Ronnie Brown

St. Louis - Steven Jackson

Saints - Reggie Bush....They arent this bad, they wont have a top 7 pick anyways.

Bills - Marshawn Lynch

Falcons - OK, this could be the team. They like Norwood alot though. And they really really need a QB more than a RB.

It might happen.

I know it is very very early, but if you look at the worst teams in the league as of right now, the only team that needs a running back is the Jets (who you can say dont really need one, but I disagree)

Miami - Ronnie Brown

Saints - Reggie Bush....They arent this bad, they wont have a top 7 pick anyways.

Bills - Marshawn Lynch

Falcons - OK, this could be the team. They like Norwood alot though. And they really really need a QB more than a RB.

It might happen.

That all sounds great but couldnt people say that about us with TJ and Leon???

If we got faneca A three headed monster such as Jones,DMC and leon would genuinely dominate the NFL but if we have no one to run behind there is really no point.

Miami - Ronnie Brown

Bills - Marshawn Lynch

It might happen.

i hear ya, but doesnt mean much, ,any teams ahead of us could just trade with another team who needs a RB

I guess you haven't seen many BC games. Ryan has a very good arm. Don't forget that he plays in a "pro-style" offense.

I agree that the Jets shouldn't be drafting a QB in the 1st round, but Ryan is probably going to be the 1st or 2nd QB taken in the draft.

OK, give me your 7 rounds for the draft you hold the 5th pick

long is too big to play OLB

Yeah, he is definitely a DE.

I definitely think he can play 3-4 de. He is listed in the 280 lb range and he is still a young guy. nfldraftcountdown.com agrees.

From their latest 2008 mock draft... (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html)

7. NEW YORK JETS

CHRIS LONG DE | Virginia | Scouting Report

Eric Mangini is trying to implement a 3-4 defense like he had in New England but he just doesn't have the personnel up front so it's high time to invest in a top defensive lineman for that scheme. Chris Long is a 3-4 end for the Cavaliers where more often than not he is asked to cover his gaps rather than get after the quarterback, which explains his lack of eye-popping statistics, but as a senior he has been given more freedom and it's shown up in the box scores. Long, who is the son of a Hall of Famer (Howie), can play in any scheme but he'd be an absolutely perfect fit for the J-E-T-S.

oh yeah. your absolutely right. maybe he can also play TE and LG and FB and QB and maybe just maybe even a HB

I think we are good at te, I was actually looking at the draft pages and wishing we could have the first 5 picks, without the salary ramifications of course, and wondering if could make it to a superbowl.

The only way to go. get back some of the picks we lost last year in trades

Only if we decide not to switch back to the 43. If we do, you HAVE to go with Glenn Dorsey. If we want to stay in the 34, you trade down and get either a 1st round pick for the next year or a 2nd round pick that year. Would like to have three picks in the first two rounds this year.

They have to take McFadden why? We have Jones & Washington, there is no room / need for Darren McFadden. What the Jets would NEED to do is take Glenn Dorsey and then switch back to the 4-3.

I assume you mean with a coach that has prior experience running it.

That's the whole problem, this PUNK has been in one NFL system and he came to our team trying to jam a sqare peg in a round hole and it took two years(Chad,and the emergence of Cotch and Leon surprised som people last year, but in year two the idiocy finally ruined our team.)

And I'm sure everyone has seen all the articles about the lockerroom rumblings!

You think the cardinals quit on Denny or the Raiders quit on Shell, watch this bunch of 4-3 guys whose careers are in a downward spiral turn on this "Disciplinarian,Genius"

He's gone! Oh, no, maybe not because Woody at a 24 hour strip bar getting blown in the back room right now, he could give a damm.

mat ryan is "one" of the best QB in the draft but. that doesn't make him a lock for the jets. jets need an impact player. somebody like dorsey or campbell. who can come in and have an imediate impact

We got a BADA$$ Impact player in the 2005 draft named Jonathan Vilma, but FatBoy came in and handcuffed him.

I Miss you Donnie Henderson, Please come back, bring Herm and his "Clock management guy"and his"two point conversion assistant" and his "review flag thrower"...the whole staff,

Please come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 was an enigma, we started Brooks Bollinger for Chrisse sake!

We got a BADA$$ Impact player in the 2005 draft named Jonathan Vilma, but FatBoy came in and handcuffed him.

I Miss you Donnie Henderson, Please come back, bring Herm and his "Clock management guy"and his"two point conversion assistant" and his "review flag thrower"...the whole staff,

Please come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 was an enigma, we started Brooks Bollinger for Chrisse sake!

When the Jets line up in a 4-3 they get run on. When the line up in a 3-4 they get run on. Its not the scheme, its the undersized/not very talented players. Was Drob really a monster in the 4-3? We still wouldn't have a nose tackle. We still wouldn't have a pass rush. At this point sticking with the 3-4 is important to get the younger players more comfortable in it, so that they can excel when we actually do have the right players for it.

And if Vilma was so good he wouldn't get tossed around the field all the time. Dude is an oversized safety not a linebacker.

Archived