I don't see how the Jets don't win it all in 2008/09

Maxman

Seriously all they need is a LG, RT, FB, 3rd WR, 2 DEs, 1 NT, 2 LBs, CB, S. And some depth.

They are really only like 14 players away from a dynasty. Think about it!

I think about it like this.

By then, we'll have Kerry Rhodes, already one of the best Safeties in the league, in his prime.

Both David Harris and Darelle Revis will have 3 years of experience by then and will both be close to their primes.

Mangold, one of the better C's in the league, in his prime.

DBrick in his prime.

Cotchery in his prime.

Leon in his prime.

KC in his prime.

No more DRob (contract runs out after 08)

No more Ellis (contract expires next year as well)

No more Barrett

No more Vilma (good player but not a good fit-will likely be traded this offseason but contract expires after 08 as well)

So, by 2009 we should have 8 key players all in their prime, and we will be rid of liabilities such as Drob, Ellis, and Barrett (whose replacements I hope are better).

So, over the next two years if we can pick up a solid NT, DE, and LG, we can hopefully develop players such as Miller, Smith and Drew Coleman to take over some weak spots in the secondary and develop Bender into a serviceable RT, we should be a very compettitive team.

I think about it like this.

By then, we'll have Kerry Rhodes, already one of the best Safeties in the league, in his prime.

Both David Harris and Darelle Revis will have 3 years of experience by then and will both be close to their primes.

Mangold, one of the better C's in the league, in his prime.

DBrick in his prime.

Cotchery in his prime.

Leon in his prime.

KC in his prime.

No more DRob (contract runs out after 08)

No more Ellis (contract expires next year as well)

No more Barrett

No more Vilma (good player but not a good fit-will likely be traded this offseason but contract expires after 08 as well)

So, by 2009 we should have 8 key players all in their prime, and we will be rid of liabilities such as Drob, Ellis, and Barrett (whose replacements I hope are better).

So, over the next two years if we can pick up a solid NT, DE, and LG, we can hopefully develop players such as Miller, Smith and Drew Coleman to take over some weak spots in the secondary and develop Bender into a serviceable RT, we should be a very compettitive team.

Thats all well and good on paper. But we're the Jets, arent we famous for being an almost team. We'll find a way to screw it up. Again.](*,)

Thats all well and good on paper. But we're the Jets, arent we famous for being an almost team. We'll find a way to screw it up. Again.](*,)

Yes, that has been our motto but that is why we hired Mangini and Tannenbaum, to rebuild the team and to get this team beyond that 'almost' level.

By 2009 if we're not there yet, thats when we pull the plug on Mangini... By then he will have had the time, money, and room to rebuild this team to the way he wants it.

Yes, that has been our motto but that is why we hired Mangini and Tannenbaum, to rebuild the team and to get this team beyond that 'almost' level.

By 2009 if we're not there yet, thats when we pull the plug on Mangini... By then he will have had the time, money, and room to rebuild this team to the way he wants it.

Agree totally, I think we need to make a big splash in free agency very soon. Look at new England for Christs sake!!

Agree totally, I think we need to make a big splash in free agency very soon. Look at new England for Christs sake!!

Actually, no, we dont need to make a "big splash" in FA. We need to continue to build through the draft and to find the 'diamond in the rough' in FA.

Look at teams such as the Chargers, Colts, Patriots (pre 2007). None of them were ever big spenders or big players in FA. They made some good trades, drafted very well, and found the right players for their system in FA.

Its only been 2 offseasons under Mangini, and we're already seeing what its like to have a CS that is somewhat capable of drafting.

IMO, we should really focus on LG in the draft... Not saying we necessarily have to trade down for one, but if we can get a good one in rd 2 or 3, definately take him over any other position.

It would be nice if we could find a younger and better RT via FA just in case the Bender experiment fails as well.

Next offseason will be the DL overhaul, with both Drob and Ellis leaving.

Actually, no, we dont need to make a "big splash" in FA. We need to continue to build through the draft and to find the 'diamond in the rough' in FA.

Look at teams such as the Chargers, Colts, Patriots (pre 2007). None of them were ever big spenders or big players in FA. They made some good trades, drafted very well, and found the right players for their system in FA.

Its only been 2 offseasons under Mangini, and we're already seeing what its like to have a CS that is somewhat capable of drafting.

IMO, we should really focus on LG in the draft... Not saying we necessarily have to trade down for one, but if we can get a good one in rd 2 or 3, definately take him over any other position.

It would be nice if we could find a younger and better RT via FA just in case the Bender experiment fails as well.

Next offseason will be the DL overhaul, with both Drob and Ellis leaving.

We have been building throught the draft but a few quality FA's are a must. We need to have some experienced quality on this team. We can bring in all the talent in the world through the draft but the team will still need some good experience too.

We have been building throught the draft but a few quality FA's are a must. We need to have some experienced quality on this team. We can bring in all the talent in the world through the draft but the team will still need some good experience too.

Yes, I agree. We do need to pick up some decent players via FA, even if only for depth.

Do we need to, or should we make a big splash? NO... We are not even close to good enough to spend all that money on just one or two players that are over the age of 28.

We need to really scan what's available for players that are good fits for our system and are good enough to get the job done if they're called upon.

Seriously all they need is a LG, RT, FB, 3rd WR, 2 DEs, 1 NT, 2 LBs, CB, S. And some depth.

They are really only like 14 players away from a dynasty. Think about it!

and a year or two in experience points for a new qb, and probably a new RB once we finally collect all those other pieces, maybe a new 1 or 2 wr as well???

Yes, I agree. We do need to pick up some decent players via FA, even if only for depth.

Do we need to, or should we make a big splash? NO... We are not even close to good enough to spend all that money on just one or two players that are over the age of 28.

We need to really scan what's available for players that are good fits for our system and are good enough to get the job done if they're called upon.

So we should defer to Tangini in their decisions except when you, the mighty GGM, tell us how it should be done? I guess they should hire you to rebuild since you are smarter than all of us, whom are not allowed to voice criticism of Tangini's decisions. If they bring in a bunch of FAs this offseason I guess they are idiots that should be fired.

i think the expectations this year were WAY too high. Everybody was thinking dynasty after only one year. Its quite normal to have a sophmore slump. that being said i do believe we need to completley wipe the slate clean with the defense.

i think we are a far cry from a software slump going from 10-6 to very likely 1-15, lol

So we should defer to Tangini in their decisions except when you, the mighty GGM, tell us how it should be done? I guess they should hire you to rebuild since you are smarter than all of us, whom are not allowed to voice criticism of Tangini's decisions. If they bring in a bunch of FAs this offseason I guess they are idiots that should be fired.

They should hire Sperm. ;-)

Did I EVER say you weren't allowed to voice critisizm??

Actaully, with the stuff you're posting it seems like your the one telling me that I cant voice my opinion.

You disagree, understood, but instead of crtisizing me simply becasue I disagree, can you at least make an argument for your case?

Id appreciate it, thanks.

BTW, Woody, Jets, if you're reading this... Please take Serphnx's advice as he said it, not as he meant it.;)

Did I EVER say you weren't allowed to voice critisizm??

Actaully, with the stuff you're posting it seems like your the one telling me that I cant voice my opinion.

You disagree, understood, but instead of crtisizing me simply becasue I disagree, can you at least make an argument for your case?

Id appreciate it, thanks.

BTW, Woody, Jets, if you're reading this... Please take Serphnx's advice as he said it, not as he meant it.;)

You can voice your criticism. But most Mangini supporters have frequently stated that Mangini knows better and they trust Mangini, including you. In order to voice a view in opposition of Mangini's actual philosophy or possibly future actions makes these people rather hypocritical, and makes it a weak stance to take. That is all I am saying when I say that. Perhaps I have been a bit harsh, but you have been harsh with plenty of people in the past so you don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt I'd think.

You can voice your criticism. But most Mangini supporters have frequently stated that Mangini knows better and they trust Mangini, including you. In order to voice a view in opposition of Mangini's actual philosophy or possibly future actions makes these people rather hypocritical, and makes it a weak stance to take. That is all I am saying when I say that. Perhaps I have been a bit harsh, but you have been harsh with plenty of people in the past so you don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt I'd think.

Here's the thing:

Mangini is in practice every day, he's in all the meetings with Tannenbaum and Woody, he is the one that talks to the players, and communicates with the medical staff... We're not any of the above.

When I say I trust Mangini about a given situation, I mean that he knows a lot more than us about the situation and we're all just outsiders speculating. Thats how Mangini knows better.

In order to voice a view in opposition of Mangini's actual philosophy or possibly future actions makes these people rather hypocritical, and makes it a weak stance to take.

Im not quite sure what you mean by this. I think I have clearly expressed what I think the Jets/Tangini should and should not do. If they change directions and alter their philosophy against what I am saying they should do, then yes, I will be skeptical and I will begin to doubt if Mangini is really the right coach to rebuild the team. But so far, I feel he's done a pretty good job given the team handed down to him.

Perhaps I have been a bit harsh, but you have been harsh with plenty of people in the past so you don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt I'd think

Name two (and DWC doesnt count, lol.)

BTW, no, I dont think you were being harsh, just a little hypocritical. You were making fun of me for voicing my opinion, while at the same time saying that I dont allow others to voice their opinions.

Woody reads Jetnation. But only when his staff "forwards" him anti-Woody articles.

Ah, good times. You would think they would have something better to do. Guess not.

I think we'll be mediocre next year, good in 2009 and great after that for more than a couple years. Our SB window will be 2010-2015, if all goes to plan.

Sometime between 2008-2012, we will win the AFC East again and take down the Patriots.

Make that 2009-2012...

2009 it begins.

I say we will win the SB at least twice between 2010-2018.

Ugh.

Ive explained my reasoning enough times. If you dont agree so be it...

Predicting that they'll win in 2015 is a lame argument. Because you'll change your tune if they don't win or make up another excuse...

I hope they do win next season, but I'll take reaching a damn super bowl at this point or maybe even having a legit contender like the Colts and Pats year in and year out for 5+ years.

When was the last time the Jets were real contenders? Yeah they had a few nice seasons now and again, but for the most part, it's always one and done and never to be heard from again.

As far as this regime, you can't go 1-8 in your second season and honestly say it's a step in the right direction.

Archived