Yanks agree to terms w/ Posada...4 yrs/$52 mil

AFJF

Exclusive

Jorge Posada to stay with Yankees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY MARK FEINSAND AND BILL MADDEN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Monday, November 12th 2007, 10:23 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story

Jorge Posada and the Yankees agreed to a contract late Monday night, sources told the Daily News.

Jorge Posada, the 36-year-old free agent catcher, will remain a Yankee, sources familiar with the negotiations told the Daily News Monday night.

After being schmoozed by Mets general manager Omar Minaya Monday afternoon during a lengthy lunch at Le Cirque, Posada and his agents finally received the offer from the Yankees they had been hoping for all along.

The Yankees offered Posada a four-year, $52 million contract - the same deal they gave both Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui two years ago - to remain in pinstripes. The deal will become official pending a physicial and final contract language being ironed out.

In a lunch meeting with Brian Cashman on Friday, Posada and his wife, Laura, made it clear to the Yankees

4 years is a lot for the Yankees but they gambled on his decline and missed. They had no choice at this point. I am glad he is back. I am glad a guy with a bunch of rings is getting paid! Instead of a street free agent.

The Yankees offered Posada a four-year, $52 million contract - the same deal they gave both Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui two years ago - to remain in pinstripes. The deal will become official pending a physicial and final contract language being ironed out.

Is that really a good thing?

It's cool that Posada is going to stay a Yankee, but $52 mill over 4 years?

They have to worry about 2008 before 2011. For 2008 it makes the team better. In 2011 it will hurt.

But Girardi will have 3 rings by then so they can just get him site next to the Giambi statue at that point. I think Jason is signed until 2018.

They HAD to keep Posada. The original offer was 3 years, $40 mill, so this is a discount in terms of money per year. Also, if they don't want him after 3 years, they can always release him. This was a move the Yankees had to make and I'm very glad they did.

:beer:

It's not like the Yanks have his heir apparent waiting in the wings...by the time the fourth year and third year possibly come rolling along, I would hope the Yanks will be grooming his replacement.

As every team should be doing. Nothing worse than losing a FA and standing there like ....Duh what are we going to do now? That's probably why the Yanks ponied up.

Had to be done for 2008 as Max stated. With the projected number of kids in the rotation, Posada is a must have. He's also a much bigger team leader than given credit for IMO.

Years 3 and 4 will be interesting at age 39 and 40 but with the current changes going on and MO playing a little hardball with the FO, this needed to be done. I honestly think MO may have left w/out Jorge coming back. Good job by Hank as the Yanks if forced to, can eat 12 mill per as 124 mentioned in the latter years of the contract.

The Mets could have used a few years of Jorge's professionalism.

Smart move all the way around, and it seems that the market dictated the length and term.

I was not sure how serious the Met interest was, but I was not wanting them to lock into a big deal with an aged catcher. Unless they envisioned him as a first basemen in a couple of years, they are going to need to dip into the FA market in a couple of years and sign a 1b.

Hopefully, for the Yankkes sake, the kids are comfortable pitching to him. Nothing indicates that they are not.

I guess this puts the impetus on the Mets.

2 years with LoDuca ata reasonable price is not a horrible thing. But, you have to have a decent back-up.

LoDuca at least represents a fiery competitor. Not that helped the Mets down the stretch.

If the Mets could work at a decnt trade for Paulino, I would be interested. Torrealba, not so much.

I guess this puts the impetus on the Mets.

2 years with LoDuca ata reasonable price is not a horrible thing. But, you have to have a decent back-up.

LoDuca at least represents a fiery competitor. Not that helped the Mets down the stretch.

If the Mets could work at a decnt trade for Paulino, I would be interested. Torrealba, not so much.

I'd be happy with Castro and a back-up.

Don't count those draft picks yet. I would not put it past ARod accepting arbitration.

I do realize there's a chance he does that. If he does, then I'd like to see them take a C in the first three rounds.

If the Yanks really don't want A-Rod back though they can just low ball him with an offer around 20 mil whereas he's expecting high 20s at the very least.

There is. If the Yankees cut him, he still gets paid.

The Yankees, with the money they will have from the new boxes in the new stadium and playing to a guaranteed full house for at least the next 3-4 years, can afford this type of deal.

Even if the deal outlasts the player.

true. but you still have to make a sound decision on these things case in point "giambi"

Archived