Would you guys flip your lid if we took Jake Long OT???

CoachTsurfing

I know we need defense immediately, but if there is no starter/ dominant NT's or DE's - we should definitely take the best OL player available. Taking Long would solidify our tackles for the next 10 years. He is a dominant player, much more imposing at the point of attack than D'Brick. He would start from the first day of training camp - no doubt. If we then added Faneca, we would have one of the top three OL's in the NFL next year. Considering we would still have all our other picks and whatever picks we pick up in trades, we can still build the defense through the draft as well as free agency.

I want that DT from LSU, anyone else would be ridiculous at this point.

you could say that about a ton of guys. What if we took a WR in the top five? everyone would flip out...until he turns into the next Jerry Rice.

BPA, if its the LSU tackle, go for it, if it's Long, that's fine too. We just need athletes.

vinny if Dorsey was the BAP pick you'd hear no complaints from me. he's got a combo of all the ideal qualities, could be an excellent player.

Lets just say we have between picks 3 and 6 (which is very likely), would you like it then? I watched this guy and he reminds me of Sapp. He's got that motor, and the moxy you need with that position. My mind is already made up on Dorsey.

vinny if Dorsey was the BAP pick you'd hear no complaints from me. he's got a combo of all the ideal qualities, could be an excellent player.

Glenn Dorsey could easily go #1 overall, because there won't be anymore like him after this draft. He reminds me a lot of the Bears' Tommie Harris. There are only 2 big run stoppers in the college game right now...and Both Dorsey and USC's Sedrick Ellis will be in the '08 draft, and are being called "the last of the space eaters".

Your point about Sapp is what would make me very nervous about drafting Dorsey high. Where would he play in the 3-4. I don't want to pick a player that high that is a questionable pick. I'd rather go with Chris Long even though it would be a reach at this point. That being said even though he's a medium sized DT he does a great job and drawing double teams, along with his obvious skills at collapsing the pocket. He's a beast but I don't think he's meant for the 3-4 scheme.

As far as Jake Long he'd be a pretty solid pick. I'm not completely sold on him, but he's a great run blocker and that's just what we need. He looks like he could be a very good RT. Don't trust his pass blocking but he does have the skills to be a fairly good pass blocker.

Lastly, to those saying Brick was a questionable prospect please stop. Its so easy to look back in hindsight. He's fallen somewhat short of expectations but he was by no means a poor prospect. He was probably the most talented pass blocker to come out since Pace and that can't really be denied. All indications at the time were that every team in the league felt he was an elite tackle prospect. You can act like his draft grade was weak all you want but that's a pretty illogical statement and at the time you were the only one who felt that way, if you really believed this.

I wasn't. Brick was the safe pick. Our O-line was identified as a huge weakness by the fans and media. Herm's strategy of drafting Defense essentially soured NY on him. If the new regime started off with another D pick, it would have faced a huge amount of criticism, and Tangini didn't want to deal with that. Sure it would only be criticism for maybe a few hours until they picked Mangold, but they didn't want to face it anyway.

The cowardliness continued with Mangini sticking with Chad because he did not want to face fan, media and player backlash over the move, although to be honest most of the fanbase was clamoring for it, so that should not have been a worry.

That is my problem with taking another OL with say the 3rd pick in the draft. It's a safe pick. Unless DBrick is out of the league, most people aren't going to call him a bust. The 4th pick in the draft should never be a guy who is just avg at best as a run blocker... What is Long? He's an avg pass blocker. Great so we pick top draft picks who aren't exactly supposed to be great.... We just hope they become great..

McFadden could be a bust, no doubt.... But if you look at the Jets over the past, well forever, it's almost like they always go the safe route. Hence why they never actually win and never actually draft future hall of famers..... Long would be the safe pick. McFadden would be the dangerous pick. He might be great and he might be a bust....

All i know is if they draft Long and the OL doesn't improve next season, You'd have to fire Mangini and Tanni at that point. That would mean 3 seasons in a row where they took OL.... DBrick and Mangold. Bender... And then Long...,.... If you can't evaluate talent or build a damn good OL with 4 young offensive linemen, you probably never will.

If they take Long, I won't be pissed.. But like I said, if it takes Long 3-5 years to become good, what's the point in drafting him.... Teams that take 5 years to rebuild no longer win in the NFL... They are always rebuilding. I mean come on....

If it takes DBrick 3-4 years to become good, He'll be in like his 8th season by the time Long becomes good wih that theory. It might take time for players to adapt to the NFL, but NFL players who take 4+ years to show signs they were worth their draft pick are usually players on a different team by then or at least players with new coaches.

Glenn Dorsey could easily go #1 overall, because there won't be anymore like him after this draft. He reminds me a lot of the Bears' Tommie Harris. There are only 2 big run stoppers in the college game right now...and Both Dorsey and USC's Sedrick Ellis will be in the '08 draft, and are being called "the last of the space eaters".

Yeah, I think if Miami have the #1 pick they have to take Dorsey.

Under a 3-4 D though, he would probably struggle.

That is my problem with taking another OL with say the 3rd pick in the draft. It's a safe pick. Unless DBrick is out of the league, most people aren't going to call him a bust. The 4th pick in the draft should never be a guy who is just avg at best as a run blocker... What is Long? He's an avg pass blocker. Great so we pick top draft picks who aren't exactly supposed to be great.... We just hope they become great..

McFadden could be a bust, no doubt.... But if you look at the Jets over the past, well forever, it's almost like they always go the safe route. Hence why they never actually win and never actually draft future hall of famers..... Long would be the safe pick. McFadden would be the dangerous pick. He might be great and he might be a bust....

All i know is if they draft Long and the OL doesn't improve next season, You'd have to fire Mangini and Tanni at that point. That would mean 3 seasons in a row where they took OL.... DBrick and Mangold. Bender... And then Long...,.... If you can't evaluate talent or build a damn good OL with 4 young offensive linemen, you probably never will.

If they take Long, I won't be pissed.. But like I said, if it takes Long 3-5 years to become good, what's the point in drafting him.... Teams that take 5 years to rebuild no longer win in the NFL... They are always rebuilding. I mean come on....

If it takes DBrick 3-4 years to become good, He'll be in like his 8th season by the time Long becomes good wih that theory. It might take time for players to adapt to the NFL, but NFL players who take 4+ years to show signs they were worth their draft pick are usually players on a different team by then or at least players with new coaches.

This latter part is why I don't like taking a player so high. It's not that we use a draft pick on him instead of someone else. It's that he's paid so much but isn't expected to show so much for 2-3 years. It's far more cost-effective to sign a veteran who you get top production from starting on day ONE.

I like building through the draft. But I don't like allotting mega-cap space to someone who may not perform better than a mediocre veteran for 2-3 years (at 1/5 the contract).

If we're in the top 3, the only pick I'd take is if an ultra-marquis QB is coming out & we are desperate for a QB. Other than that, I'd trade down 100% of the time and trade up into the top 3-4 exactly 0% of the time. Even if you drop down to #10 or 15, you're still getting a shot at a top player anyway.

This latter part is why I don't like taking a player so high. It's not that we use a draft pick on him instead of someone else. It's that he's paid so much but isn't expected to show so much for 2-3 years. It's far more cost-effective to sign a veteran who you get top production from starting on day ONE.

I like building through the draft. But I don't like allotting mega-cap space to someone who may not perform better than a mediocre veteran for 2-3 years (at 1/5 the contract).

If we're in the top 3, the only pick I'd take is if an ultra-marquis QB is coming out & we are desperate for a QB. Other than that, I'd trade down 100% of the time and trade up into the top 3-4 exactly 0% of the time. Even if you drop down to #10 or 15, you're still getting a shot at a top player anyway.

I agree with this idea also. I would love to drop down to around the tenth spot. Take Baker or Chris Long and then still have a shot at getting another O or d linemen. Possibly a cb or lb.

If Julius Peppers is available in the top three, you have to take him. There are plenty of other exceptions to your rule. In following your rule you will keep a team behind the eight ball for years; browns, bengals, falcons.

I like the idea of trading down, it's exactly what I hope we do as well. To say there are no other positions worth a top three pick is absurd.

Trading down is easier said than done. Considering how well Cleveland has done this season, Dallas may not even have the trade value to make a move.

I'm fne with trading down if we're given the right value. If we have a top 5 pick, I am not happy with us trading out of the top 12.

Trading down is easier said than done. Considering how well Cleveland has done this season, Dallas may not even have the trade value to make a move.

I'm fne with trading down if we're given the right value. If we have a top 5 pick, I am not happy with us trading out of the top 12.

It really depends.... The Chargers traded down a few years ago because of the whole Eli fiasco and wound up getting some great players because of that trade.....

If you get a first, a 2nd, another first the year after and so on, it would be a great trade... Of course great trade means you have to draft well with those other picks...

The problem I see is that they've drafted 8 offensive players in the past two seasons...Well ones who are still on team...

Mangold, DBrick, Leon Washington, Smith, KC, then add Bender and Stuckey and then add Thomas Jones who became like your 2nd round pick and suddenly it's looks sad when you have 8 new players and the offense is just as bad as it was 2 seasons ago when Brooks was starting and half that team was injured....

Regardless of how long it takes, at some point your draft picks have to make the team better.. So far not one player on this team has made the Jets better... A 1-7 record on a team where everything is worse proves that point.... Yeah there are moments and plays these guys seem to shine, but overall, If you spend 8+ picks on offensive players and you aren't any better than an injury riddled 3rd string QB led team from 2+ seasons ago, you aren't evaluating talent too well. Or you're not coaching them up at all.

It's one thing to draft one of the most difficult positions to fill (LT) with a top-5 pick. To draft a potential RT that high would be ridiculous.

The Cowboys being enamoured with Darren McFadden might work out in our favor. They will want to get him at the lowest possible spot (to save money), and have a team that doesn't need that much more to take them over the edge; meaning, they are just one potentially great draftee and a coupld FA signings away from being unstoppable.

I think its completely feasible to get both of their 1st rounders, a second and a third. Especially if they get to the SuperBowl. They once had a certain RB/QB/WR tandom that served their team well; If I was Jerry I would pull the trigger.

Mangini needs picks, and nobody in the top-5 really matches up well with our team's needs. CLE's pick (16-20) can land us a RT (either Baker or GC from Boston College) and the DAL pick can get us a beefy NT (Okam or Bryant). We can then draft a CB high in the second round (Jenkins or Cason) and get a stud ILB with DAL's 2nd rounder (Jasper Brinkley, anyone?) That is four players to meet four definite needs before the start of round three. Round three, Pass rushing OLB.

It's one thing to draft one of the most difficult positions to fill (LT) with a top-5 pick. To draft a potential RT that high would be ridiculous.

The Cowboys being enamoured with Darren McFadden might work out in our favor. They will want to get him at the lowest possible spot (to save money), and have a team that doesn't need that much more to take them over the edge; meaning, they are just one potentially great draftee and a coupld FA signings away from being unstoppable.

I think its completely feasible to get both of their 1st rounders, a second and a third. Especially if they get to the SuperBowl. They once had a certain RB/QB/WR tandom that served their team well; If I was Jerry I would pull the trigger.

Mangini needs picks, and nobody in the top-5 really matches up well with our team's needs. CLE's pick (16-20) can land us a RT (either Baker or GC from Boston College) and the DAL pick can get us a beefy NT (Okam or Bryant). We can then draft a CB high in the second round (Jenkins or Cason) and get a stud ILB with DAL's 2nd rounder (Jasper Brinkley, anyone?) That is four players to meet four definite needs before the start of round three. Round three, Pass rushing OLB.

jerry Jones really needs to disregard his sexual fetishes for DMC and realise that he has one hell of a RB in Marion Barber. Most awesome scenario of this years draft. Dallas trade us Marion Barber + a high pick for our 1st. That would be awesome.

jerry Jones really needs to disregard his sexual fetishes for DMC and realise that he has one hell of a RB in Marion Barber. Most awesome scenario of this years draft. Dallas trade us Marion Barber + a high pick for our 1st. That would be awesome.

I know exactly how valuable MBIII is, he's on my fantasy team; he's not the second coming.

The Rams drafted Steven Jackson despite having a then very capable Marshall Faulk, and the Chiefs drafted Larry Johnson despite having a then very capable Priest Holmes. Julius Jones has fallen out of favor with the Cowboys, and you cannot ignore depth at such a critical position. When a special player comes along you grab him (Look at Bush with McCallister on board, or Deangelo Williams with Foster and Goings already on roster).

If you could get a player that is possibly better than the rookie sensation Adrian Peterson, AND you're only one or two players away from having a monsterous team; you do whatever it takes to get that player.

I know exactly how valuable MBIII is, he's on my fantasy team; he's not the second coming.

The Rams drafted Steven Jackson despite having a then very capable Marshall Faulk, and the Chiefs drafted Larry Johnson despite having a then very capable Priest Holmes. Julius Jones has fallen out of favor with the Cowboys, and you cannot ignore depth at such a critical position. When a special player comes along you grab him (Look at Bush with McCallister on board, or Deangelo Williams with Foster and Goings already on roster).

If you could get a player that is possibly better than the rookie sensation Adrian Peterson, AND you're only one or two players away from having a monsterous team; you do whatever it takes to get that player.

Your judging Marion Barber by what he's done for your fantasy team???

I've wached almost every Cowboy game this year and that guy is special. His numbers arent great becasue he has to split with Julius Jones but IMO he really should be the feature guy. He is an absolute beast who can do everything as HB requires. IMO the most underated and one of the top RB's in this league.

i will gouge my eyes out if we take Jake

This team needs to draft their OL in rds 3 -6, and find themselves a real OL

coach, they should go after Dante S and offer him a pile of coin.

Dorsey is a very good player, but he already has issues with a knee,

Run DMC is the BAP at 3 and that is where we shall pick.

BTW Long looks like crap 2day vs OSU

They should stock pile picks and hope that 5-8 players improve this team... Because as talented as Revis and Harris are, the defense stinks... So trading away half your picks for those two guys was not worth it yet.

Mangold and DBrick are starters, but the OL still stinks. KC is an unknown at this point. Leon is a special teams player. TJ, a guy they traded a 2nd round pick for, is useless at this point. Smith is a trick player.

If you look at the way this team drafted, they made some nice picks, but not one of their picks has made this team better.. And at this point the only thing we can hope for is that they improve next year..... But there is nothing that says DBrick will suddenly become a great run blocker next season.. There is nothing that says Mangold will be a pro bowl player...

Either they can't evaluate talent to build a winning team or they can't coach. Either way, it's a bad sign for the future.

TJ, a guy they traded a 2nd round pick for, is useless at this point. Smith is a trick player.

They did not trade a 2nd round pick for Jones, they swaped 2nd round picks. That comes out to like a 4th round pick. Jones is ave less then one carry less per game then he did in Chicago. It isn't Jones who is useless, it is the LG and the RT.

Smith is hardly simply a trick player.

Half way thru This season he has

27 257 9.5 1

Not bad for a 3rd or 4th receiver, and he will be mush better next season. He was always considered a project. So far he is doing real well.

It really depends.... The Chargers traded down a few years ago because of the whole Eli fiasco and wound up getting some great players because of that trade.....

The chargers didn't do the conventional "trade down" though...they drafted Eli #1 overall and held him for ransom. They pretty much punk'd the Giants into drafting Rivers for trade and surrendering additional draft picks that gave the Chargers Shawne Merriman and Nate Keating...it was quite a package for that overrated Eli Manning.

There is no way in hell that Mcfadden is half the player Peterson is. Mcfadden has played against such horrible defensive teams this year it isn't funny. However, he pretty much is the only player on the team that is good. So everyone knows he's going to get the ball. but still, if we could get two first, a second and third for him. You'd be nuts not to do it.

There is no way in hell that Mcfadden is half the player Peterson is. Mcfadden has played against such horrible defensive teams this year it isn't funny. However, he pretty much is the only player on the team that is good. So everyone knows he's going to get the ball. but still, if we could get two first, a second and third for him. You'd be nuts not to do it.

If they got 2 first, a second, and a third round pick for taking McFadden, they'd be nuts not to jump at that trade... As good as some people think McFadden will be, who knows.. ANd with this team, he might not really make them that much better...

The only worry about a trade like this is would they keep the picks? I mean they stockpiled quite a few draft picks last season only to dump most of them for basically 2 players. Trading for more picks only works if you know how to evaluate talent. Right now they don't look like a regime who knows how to do that so well...

But I do like the idea of stockpiling picks.... They don't seem like a regime who can draft top players... So drafting a ton of players means adding more starters and more depth.. And if they bring in players like DBrick, good players not great, they should improve...........

In theory, bringing in 5 or 6 DBrick like players will help this team improve, but gringing in just 1 DBrick type of player probably most likely means it's a 10 year plan that'll never work.

McFadden is most likely better. AP probably will never finish an NFL season. Run DMC also has better hands and is a bit faster.

The only worry about a trade like this is would they keep the picks? I mean they stockpiled quite a few draft picks last season only to dump most of them for basically 2 players. Trading for more picks only works if you know how to evaluate talent. Right now they don't look like a regime who knows how to do that so well...

Not so sure about that........

Their 2 best players on defense right now are rookies from last years draft.

Stuckey, in pre season looked like a steal as a 7th rounder. If, and it's a big if, they can keep him healthy, he looks like a solid 3rd or 4th recevier.

Bender was always a project. He looked great in the running game even in his rookie camp, and that is why there was all the talk about him starting at guard.

Problem was he looked like a clown in pass protection. Good news is he has been on the active roster lately. Have to assume that means he is improving in his pass blocking.

Bad news is the Folly on ice that is Clements, is still the starter. That is not good. Jury is still out on Bender, all in all a decent draft, in what was a very weak draft Pool.

Not so sure about that........

Their 2 best players on defense right now are rookies from last years draft.

Stuckey, in pre season looked like a steal as a 7th rounder. If, and it's a big if, they can keep him healthy, he looks like a solid 3rd or 4th recevier.

Bender was always a project. He looked great in the running game even in his rookie camp, and that is why there was all the talk about him starting at guard.

Problem was he looked like a clown in pass protection. Good news is he has been on the active roster lately. Have to assume that means he is improving in his pass blocking.

Bad news is the Folly on ice that is Clements, is still the starter. That is not good. Jury is still out on Bender, all in all a decent draft, in what was a very weak draft Pool.

Stuckey is a guy who has yet to play a game in the NFL... You don't count him as a good pick. Bender hasn't started yet, and looks like a long term project..

In all honesty, they brought in 2 young starters (Revis and Harris) who we can build for the future with. Other than that, they did absolutely nothing. TJ is nice if they were already a super bowl contender. All those scrubs they picked to fix the DL, were just that, other teams scrubs... So the jury is still out on if this team knows how to evaluate talent..

When you are worse now than the Jets were in 2005, that is not evaluating talent very well.

you have it backward - Long would be the RT

and NO i would be psyched if that was the pick

it would drastically upgrade a starting position from day 1.

and to be honest Im not sure if Jake Long will ever be a good NFL LT.

i agree that long will not be a solid LT. but sombody in top 10 will take a shot at him to play LT. hermy prolly

Archived