Yankees drop out of running for Santana trade

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks1205,0,3692336,print.story

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

10:05 PM EST, December 4, 2007

NASHVILLE

Hank Steinbrenner had enough. The New York Yankees ended their pursuit of Johan Santana on Tuesday, leaving Boston as the favorite to land the two-time AL Cy Young Award winner.

"A deadline is a deadline. It was pretty much done as of this morning," Steinbrenner said. "He's a fine pitcher, but there's a lot of things that go into this. This isn't fantasy baseball."

Steinbrenner, a senior vice president and son of owner George Steinbrenner, set the deadline Sunday, saying he wouldn't allow Minnesota to play the Yankees against the rival Red Sox in trade talks.

New York had proposed pitcher Phil Hughes and center fielder Melky Cabrera. On Monday, the Twins dropped their demand that pitcher Ian Kennedy be included, but the sides couldn't agree on a third player.

"For a while, there's no question, they asked for too much," Steinbrenner said. "To tell you the truth, toward the end, Minnesota negotiated in good faith. They really did. I have no problem with them. It was something we just couldn't do."

Boston has offered the Twins packages built around pitcher Jon Lester or outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, but not both. The Red Sox become the front-runner to acquire Santana, who would join a rotation that already has Josh Beckett, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Curt Schilling and Tim Wakefield.

"You can't worry about that. It's just the way it is. It will be what it is," Steinbrenner said. "Everybody has got to do what they think is best for their own team overall."

Steinbrenner said the Yankees also had spoken to Oakland general manager Billy Beane, but not recently. The A's are exploring possible trades involving Dan Haren.

"That was preliminary and that was a week ago," Steinbrenner said.

Twins general manager Bill Smith wouldn't discuss the talks specifically. He also refused to get into whether he was upset with Steinbrenner's repeated public comments about negotiations. When asked about Steinbrenner, Smith responded with praise for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.

"I have the greatest respect for Brian Cashman. He's a gentleman. He's a classy professional in this game," Smith said. "I don't have any problems with the Yankees. They've been good to the Twins. They've been good to the Twins for a lot of years."

He wouldn't say whether Steinbrenner's remarks were out of place during a negotiation.

"Not my position to judge. I have enough troubles doing my own job," he said.

Steinbrenner was pleased that the Yankees retained their four key free agents: third baseman Alex Rodriguez, closer Mariano Rivera, catcher Jorge Posada and pitcher Andy Pettitte.

"We went 4-for-4," he said. "Obviously, I'm really happy about getting the four pieces to the puzzle back."

New York's current rotation projects to have Chien-Ming Wang, Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain, with Ian Kennedy and Kei Igawa among those in reserve. While there will be pitch and inning limits on the young pitchers, a six-man rotation isn't planned.

Pettitte's decision last weekend to return was key.

"Personally, it means a lot because I know what Andy is all about," new manager Joe Girardi said. "It gives you a guy that you can pencil in for 32 starts, and you know that he can handle the workload. ... When you have a lot of young pitchers, you have to be a lot more careful about their workload and how many starts and how many innings they throw."

The 35-year-old left-hander could stay with the Yankees beyond 2008.

"If I'm healthy and if my family wanted to support it again, we would consider it," Pettitte told Houston television station KRIV. "The Yankees are going to have a new stadium. I know down the road when we get through this season that will be in the back of my head also. That would be awfully nice to play in that new stadium."

Steinbrenner said the team will turn its attention to the bullpen. At times during the Santana talks, it appeared the Yankees were uncomfortable with trading Hughes. They made Chamberlain untouchable.

"I'm kind of pleased what we've got," Steinbrenner said.

Cashman said the Yankees will remain in contact with the other 29 clubs. Well, perhaps 28.

"I don't see us talking to Boston too much," he said. Notes: The Yankees reached a preliminary agreement to trade RHP Tyler Clippard to the Washington Nationals for RHP Jonathan Albaladejo, a deal subject to physicals. ... Girardi said OF-1B Shelley Duncan, who had been bothered by a blood clot in his arm, was improving. "He's had some circulatory issues, and he is doing better. He'll be evaluated every couple weeks, every month," Girardi said. ... Girardi noticed one change in the way he's been treated since he was hired as Yankees manager last month. "I got Hannah Montana tickets for my daughter, which made big points, big points," he said.

Copyright

So Twins go to Yanks and say we'll take Hughes, Melky and a prospect and Steinbrenner turns them down? Don't see it happening, not when they can take him from the Sox.

Yeah I have a feeling that the Yankees are still in it. Steinbummer has no credibility.

I don't know if the yanks want to trade hughes, I don't want them too. I don't care who it is for I do not want the yanks to give up their prospects anymore only to have it turn around and bite them in the ass. Lets live and die by our farm team, it worked wonders for us last time.

So Twins go to Yanks and say we'll take Hughes, Melky and a prospect and Steinbrenner turns them down? Don't see it happening, not when they can take him from the Sox.

If the Sox have to pay the price for him, I'd be happy to let them have him.

Let THEM sell the farm for this guy.

Gosh I hope Boston doesn't get Santana

I read tonite where the Sox apparently included BOTH Lester AND Ellsbury in the offer. This deal also includes Crisp and another prospect. God I hope that's not true. Waaaay too high a price for the Sox to pay IMO.

I read tonite where the Sox apparently included BOTH Lester AND Ellsbury in the offer. This deal also includes Crisp and another prospect. God I hope that's not true. Waaaay too high a price for the Sox to pay IMO.

The Sox would be tards to trade all that for him. Thats the same reason the Yanks backed out, they kept asking for more.

If the Sox have to pay the price for him, I'd be happy to let them have him.

Let THEM sell the farm for this guy.

I somehow get the feeling that the Bosox really do not want Santana, but also do not want the Yankees to get him.

If all this is true, and if my "reading" of Santana is correct that he will not waive his no-trade to a smaller City, my guess is that he ends up staying in Minny, or goes to the Dodgers or Angels. The Dodgers always are reluctant to trade kids though, and the Angels, under Stoneman, never offered anything fair in return though.

So we shall see.

According to Bill Madden and despite Bartons claims of ,otherwise it sounds like the Yanks led by Cashman walked away from a pretty light deal for Johan.

NASHVILLE - Even though George Steinbrenner is no longer the one to say it, Brian Cashman had better be right about Phil Hughes.

The Yankee GM, who is staking his job on his young-gun pitchers, has walked away from a 4-for-1 trade of players the Twins were agreeable to for Johan Santana at the winter meetings that included Hughes, but not Ian Kennedy (as Minnesota initially requested) or any of the Bombers' other top prospects. By doing so, Cashman has apparently handed one of the best young pitchers in baseball to the Red Sox for a parcel of prospects that is also likely to be a far cry from the Twins' original asking price for their premier lefthander.

If true we can end all the crying here about how the Yanks are being asked for more than anyone else. Also if true, Cashman made a huge mistake.

If Hughes reverts back to form (and there is NO REASON why he should not considering it was not a significant injury), then I am not trading him for anybody. Anybody. Thats how great this guy was in the minors for over a year, at 20 years old and when he pitched vs the Rangers. Sitting at 94-95 w/a disgusting curve, great control, command and a solid change.

Santana is great, but like I said weeks ago, he is slightly overrated. And if he continues to decline, like alot of shorter lefties have done in MLB history as they approached their 30's, then he wont be what he once was and wont be worth giving up Hughes.

The longer this plays out the more likely the Twins keep Johan for 2008 and try to re-sign him, IMO.

According to Bill Madden and despite Bartons claims of ,otherwise it sounds like the Yanks led by Cashman walked away from a pretty light deal for Johan.

NASHVILLE - Even though George Steinbrenner is no longer the one to say it, Brian Cashman had better be right about Phil Hughes.

The Yankee GM, who is staking his job on his young-gun pitchers, has walked away from a 4-for-1 trade of players the Twins were agreeable to for Johan Santana at the winter meetings that included Hughes, but not Ian Kennedy (as Minnesota initially requested) or any of the Bombers' other top prospects. By doing so, Cashman has apparently handed one of the best young pitchers in baseball to the Red Sox for a parcel of prospects that is also likely to be a far cry from the Twins' original asking price for their premier lefthander.

If true we can end all the crying here about how the Yanks are being asked for more than anyone else. Also if true, Cashman made a huge mistake.

I don't know if it is a mistake or not. If the Yanks make the deal everyone starts whining about how the Yanks and their money wins yet again. This time though Cashman backs off and now the Yanks are "Scrooges" as per today's Daily News and people are whining how it is a mistake ?

If the Sox do end up getting him then god bless them. Pay him the 150-180 million and lets move on from there. Santana isn't the only fish this year apparently. Maybe they go after Haren. Maybe they address the bullpen, maybe others who knows.

I will say this though. Until I see Santana up in Boston putting on that hat with cameras clicking then nothing is done.

I don't know if it is a mistake or not. If the Yanks make the deal everyone starts whining about how the Yanks and their money wins yet again. This time though Cashman backs off and now the Yanks are "Scrooges" as per today's Daily News and people are whining how it is a mistake ?

If the Sox do end up getting him then god bless them. Pay him the 150-180 million and lets move on from there. Santana isn't the only fish this year apparently. Maybe they go after Haren. Maybe they address the bullpen, maybe others who knows.

I will say this though. Until I see Santana up in Boston putting on that hat with cameras clicking then nothing is done.

True but I believe a lot of Yankee fans and their front office liked it a lot better when they were the only team playing money ball. Now we hear all kinds of nonsense about budgets , youth movements, proclamations of we wont negotiate with Arod along with deadlines that come and go yet watch them make a aging catcher and closer the highest or among the highest paid ever at their positions.

Depending upon the situation the Yanks tune on youth and budgets changes like the wind.

True but I believe a lot of Yankee fans and their front office liked it a lot better when they were the only team playing money ball.

well you got that right

Now we hear all kinds of nonsense about budgets , youth movements, proclamations of we wont negotiate with Arod along with deadlines that come and go yet watch them make a aging catcher and closer the highest or among the highest paid ever at their positions.

Depending upon the situation the Yanks tune on youth and budgets changes like the wind.

the overspending on Posada and Rivera, while not something I'm in favor for (well Rivera I am, not Posada), it was needed just to silence the belief that Torre was going to attract ex Yankees to the Dodgers

Archived