NFL kills December Saturday afternoon games

Bugg

Used to be we men could, while the women shopped and we constructed Christams trees and what not or just got drunk with pals in a bar, watch 2 NFL games every Saturday after the college regular season ended come December.

No more.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules#Week

The NFL Network moved 1 game to Saturday night. Add in Sunday and Monday night games, and they now think that there are too few games left on Sunday afternoons.

Kinda sucks. What kind of people are these, these NFL TV people? What are we suppsoed to do with ourselves-go shopping with the ladyfolk?

you could always find new sports to fall in love with....

SATURDAY, DEC. 8

College football: NCAA Division I Championship Subdivision playoffs, semifinal, Delaware at Southern Illinois, ESPN, 4 p.m.; Heisman Trophy Presentation, at New York, ESPN, 8 p.m.; NCAA Division II playoffs, semifinal, Grand Valley (Mich.) State at Northwest Missouri State, ESPN2, 9 p.m.

College men's basketball: Arizona vs. Illinois at Chicago, ESPN, noon; Michigan at Duke, CBS, 2 p.m.; DePaul at Kansas, ESPN, 2 p.m.; Dayton at Louisville, ESPN2, 2 p.m.; Pittsburgh at Washington, FSN, 3 p.m.; Kentucky at Indiana, CBS, 4 p.m.; Purdue at Missouri, ESPN2, 4 p.m.; Michigan State at Brigham Young, Versus, 4 p.m.; Marquette at Wisconsin, ESPN2, 6 p.m.

Golf: PGA European Tour, Alfred Dunhill Championship, third round, The Golf Channel, 9:30 a.m. (same-day tape)' PGA Tour, Merrill Lynch Shootout, second round, NBC, 4 p.m.

you could always find new sports to fall in love with....

SATURDAY, DEC. 8

College football: NCAA Division I Championship Subdivision playoffs, semifinal, Delaware at Southern Illinois, ESPN, 4 p.m.; Heisman Trophy Presentation, at New York, ESPN, 8 p.m.; NCAA Division II playoffs, semifinal, Grand Valley (Mich.) State at Northwest Missouri State, ESPN2, 9 p.m.

College men's basketball: Arizona vs. Illinois at Chicago, ESPN, noon; Michigan at Duke, CBS, 2 p.m.; DePaul at Kansas, ESPN, 2 p.m.; Dayton at Louisville, ESPN2, 2 p.m.; Pittsburgh at Washington, FSN, 3 p.m.; Kentucky at Indiana, CBS, 4 p.m.; Purdue at Missouri, ESPN2, 4 p.m.; Michigan State at Brigham Young, Versus, 4 p.m.; Marquette at Wisconsin, ESPN2, 6 p.m.

Golf: PGA European Tour, Alfred Dunhill Championship, third round, The Golf Channel, 9:30 a.m. (same-day tape)' PGA Tour, Merrill Lynch Shootout, second round, NBC, 4 p.m.

college basketball sucks, there's too many games on Tv these days. it's over-exposed.

college basketball sucks, there's too many games on Tv these days. it's over-exposed.

College basketball has just changed. It still offers a lot of what's great about basketball, many of the things the NBA doesn't-defense, teamwork, strategy, enthusiasm. But teams don't schedule tough out of conference games early in the season often any more. And the entire season is geared to March. It's almost like you don't have to pay attention until just before the conference tournaments start, spare NC/Duke, Ky./L'ville(have they played yet?), and a few other matchups.

College basketball has just changed. It still offers a lot of what's great about basketball, many of the things the NBA doesn't-defense, teamwork, strategy, enthusiasm. But teams don't schedule tough out of conference games early in the season often any more. And the entire season is geared to March. It's almost like you don't have to pay attention until just before the conference tournaments start, spare NC/Duke, Ky./L'ville(have they played yet?), and a few other matchups.

true, but the NBA's top teams still offer defense and teamwork, and stratagy. That's why people should love the Spurs.

start of the downfall of NFL

Cheatahs and ESPN tickers.. Pursuit of ultimate boner

24/7 of Cindy's bowel movements and gerbil habits

Dog killing thugs

Yup what a great year for NFL

How about Sean Taylors Murder and Kevin Everett getting hurt? This season sucks ass

Last weeks Pats.Ravens game was the highest rated TV porgram in cable history....If you think for one second that the NFL network didn't take notice of that,you're crazy.

I expect them to pull all of our free games soon enough just so we all have to pay to watch anybody but the Jets/Giants.

oh come on man, the NBA is the best players on the biggest stage.

It was much better in the 80's and the 90's. they can't even shoot the ball now, and that's the object of the game. the NBA is an embarrassment now.

Ok, onto the TRUTH of why there are no Saturday games until next week.

Believe it or not, there is a FEDERAL LAW forbidding the NFL to go up against College or HS football. They are not allowed to directly compete on television during the time when College or HS football is playing.

The NFL almost tripped up on this a couple years ago when there was a hurricane in Miami and they played on a saturday to get the game in and the people out. They were in direct violation of this law.

If the NFL violates the law, they lose a lot of their antitrust exemptions, so it's critical they do not do so.

This is why you do not see Friday night games or Saturday games in Sept-November. The end of the college season was last Saturday, but college saves THIS WEEKEND for any makeups that may be needed.... Hence, no Saturday NFL.

Next week, there can be Saturday NFL.

Now yes, moving some games to Thursdays and Saturday night did take away from the Saturday afternoon games, this is true, but they never got great ratings....

oh come on man, the NBA is the best players on the biggest stage.

yeah, like when they claim 'world championship trophies' for their silly NBA title. THen they get their asses squashed by countries that regard soccer as the one and only sport.

I can't think of any bigger joke in the sporting industry than the NBA. THey aren't even good...bring in the foregn players that can, pass, shoot, dribble properly...NBA is awful.

It was much better in the 80's and the 90's. they can't even shoot the ball now, and that's the object of the game. the NBA is an embarrassment now.

Like having the best player in the league be a guy that can't shoot from farther than 7 feet (shaq). I hate that league.

Ok, onto the TRUTH of why there are no Saturday games until next week.

Believe it or not, there is a FEDERAL LAW forbidding the NFL to go up against College or HS football. They are not allowed to directly compete on television during the time when College or HS football is playing.

The NFL almost tripped up on this a couple years ago when there was a hurricane in Miami and they played on a saturday to get the game in and the people out. They were in direct violation of this law.

If the NFL violates the law, they lose a lot of their antitrust exemptions, so it's critical they do not do so.

This is why you do not see Friday night games or Saturday games in Sept-November. The end of the college season was last Saturday, but college saves THIS WEEKEND for any makeups that may be needed.... Hence, no Saturday NFL.

Next week, there can be Saturday NFL.

Now yes, moving some games to Thursdays and Saturday night did take away from the Saturday afternoon games, this is true, but they never got great ratings....

I thought it was something like that concerning the law but its been awhile since

anyone has discussed it.

Actually I could never understand that rule. If your in H S you want to go out

and watch your team play and have a good time with your friends or if in college

that's usually a big deal. I can't believe they would think a lot of HS and college

kids would stay home to watch the NFL on Friday nite and Saturday.

Like having the best player in the league be a guy that can't shoot from farther than 7 feet (shaq). I hate that league.

There's 20-30 guys I'd rather have right now than Shaq

you must not have seen a game in the last 5 years huh?

The reason to watch the NBA is guys like Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade, Jamal Crawford (just kidding everybody )

There's 20-30 guys I'd rather have right now than Shaq

you must not have seen a game in the last 5 years huh?

The reason to watch the NBA is guys like Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade, Jamal Crawford (just kidding everybody )

my point is...he was the best player for about 5 years...he's not anymore. So now the best player is at least capable of making free throws. :rl:

How'd they do in the world tournements? lol, NBA is such a joke...world champs..yeah, ok.

my point is...he was the best player for about 5 years...he's not anymore. So now the best player is at least capable of making free throws. :rl:

How'd they do in the world tournements? lol, NBA is such a joke...world champs..yeah, ok.

team USA won Fiba this summer

I suggest you keep up with what you make fun of in order to not look silly.

http://www.nba.com/usabasketball/ USA Defeats Argentina to Claim Gold at the FIBA Americas

The U.S. National Team was on a mission to put Argentina away early as it scored 35 points in the first quarter en route to a 118-81 gold-medal victory at the FIBA Americas Championship on Sunday. The U.S. Team, which already clinched a spot at the 2008 Olympic Games, shot a red hot 57.5 percent from the field, including 49 percent from 3-point range, thanks to LeBron James (31 points, 8-of-11 from 3-point range), Dwight Howard (20 points, 7-of-7 from the field) and Carmelo Anthony (16 points, 4-of-8 from 3-point range).

I thought it was something like that concerning the law but its been awhile since

anyone has discussed it.

Actually I could never understand that rule. If your in H S you want to go out

and watch your team play and have a good time with your friends or if in college

that's usually a big deal. I can't believe they would think a lot of HS and college

kids would stay home to watch the NFL on Friday nite and Saturday.

They are thinking about the adults... and in certain parts of the country, HS football is a religion. Senators/Congressmen in those parts of the country fought for these laws when the NFL got a little bigger and it won them votes..

It was a big time popular move for those politians.

Archived