Would you draft another Kerry Rhodes at #6?

Barton

Hypothetical question:

Would you draft a safety with our #6 overall pick if you knew/felt he was going to be a great player? Or are you completely against drafting another safety because we already have Kerry Rhodes? And assume that the Jets sign Kerry Rhodes to a long term contract before the upcoming draft.

What would you do?

Hypothetical question:

Would you draft a safety with our #6 overall pick if you knew/felt he was going to be a great player? Or are you completely against drafting another safety because we already have Kerry Rhodes? And assume that the Jets sign Kerry Rhodes to a long term contract before the upcoming draft.

What would you do?

No, I would not draft another safety at #6. There are other Need areas, especially if a DL,LB,or OL is available there!

Is this a player that is playing next to him? because right now the platoon or Elam Smith and Coleman does not excite me

I like Elam..he seemed to make progress as the season progressed..and he was better than the other two IMO.

If there is no opportunity to trade down, and he is the BAP by a significant margin, then yes.

How about if its not a significant margin? Take the lesser player from a different position (3-4 OLB)?

There is a point to these questions, I'm sure we'll see come draft time.

What if the safety on the board at #6 is the consensus BAP?

If you are talking about a guy like Landry then I would do it. Having Rhodes and another great safety isnt a luxury - you need players at whatever position you can get them. Obviously it depends on who else is there at #6. eg, I dont think ILB is a position of incredible need but to get a guy like Laurinaitis to help shore up the run defense would be very good for me. I dont see a sure fire edge rusher that I would take over him (I would take him over Chris Long).

What safety are you speaking of?

Its a hypothetical question first and foremost.

But the player I have in mind is Miami's Kenny Phillips. But again, a hypothetical question first and foremost, so dont be biased for or against Kenny Phillips. Take the hypothetical question test without any specific player in mind.

Its a hypothetical question first and foremost.

But the player I have in mind is Miami's Kenny Phillips. But again, a hypothetical question first and foremost, so dont be biased for or against Kenny Phillips. Take the hypothetical question test without any specific player in mind.

I don't think I go safety at 6.

We need a monster pass rusher or pass protector first.

I don't think I go safety at 6.

We need a monster pass rusher or pass protector first.

That might not be your choice at #6. Jake Long might be gone (Rams and Chiefs are teams in need of O-lineman) and Sperm Edwards makes a good point about a guy like Gholston who will have to switch positions to fit the Jets scheme: ie, its inherently risky.

That might not be your choice at #6. Jake Long might be gone (Rams and Chiefs are teams in need of O-lineman) and Sperm Edwards makes a good point about a guy like Gholston who will have to switch positions to fit the Jets scheme: ie, its inherently risky.

Laurinitis?

How about if its not a significant margin? Take the lesser player from a different position (3-4 OLB)?

There is a point to these questions, I'm sure we'll see come draft time.

If it is not significant (and, of course, that is subjective), then I take the lesser player at the need position. Although this seems to vilolate the golden BAP rule, the reality is everyone does it all of the time.

If it is not significant (and, of course, that is subjective), then I take the lesser player at the need position. Although this seems to vilolate the golden BAP rule, the reality is everyone does it all of the time.

Ok. And you do this knowing that the safety will be the next Kerry Rhodes?

Again, all hypothetical.

I want nothing to do with a safety. We have too many needs to fill to use a top 10 pick on the one position where we have a superstar.

Even though the safety we pick at #6 will be a great player? (hypothetical of course).

Most 1st rd picks are busts, keep that in mind.

I'm against using the #6 pick on the DB. The problem with the defense is the complete lack of consistent pass rush. We tried to purchae one on the cheap this year and the results suxxed. We could have Revis and Champ Bailey with Rhodes and Reed and still not generate a decent pass rush to keep Brady on his A$$.

Even though the safety we pick at #6 will be a great player? (hypothetical of course).

Most 1st rd picks are busts, keep that in mind.

Unless you built a time machine went to the future and came back with proof that he was a top 3 player at his position I want nothing to do with him.

I agree completely. If the BAP difference is significant, you take the BAP, if it is close you fill the need. I think pretty much everybody agrees with this, they just disagree on what constitutes a "significant difference".

Again, all hypothetical.

No offense to Kerry Rhodes, but a safety should project to be a hell of lot better than Kerry Rhodes to go 6.

Again, all hypothetical.

I can live with that if the OLB helps give us a pass rush. Then Rhodes becomes the next Reed and Revis becomes the next Bailey. A pass rush can do wonders.

I would do it if we shored up atleast 2 of our holes on the O-line, signed Suggs, and signed either Samuel or Asomugha. Then we could have a DEADLY secondary.

I think you have to assume this happening before drafting him at 6. Although if he is head and tails above anyone else available it is a possibility too.

I think you have to assume this happening before drafting him at 6. Although if he is head and tails above anyone else available it is a possibility too.

Certainly, as far as these players being signed before the draft. I would not mind having a top fleet secondary to help shut down the Tom Brady show.

RSJ is there any safety that warrants the #6 IYO?

Certainly, as far as these players being signed before the draft. I would not mind having a top fleet secondary to help shut down the Tom Brady show.

RSJ is there any safety that warrants the #6 IYO?

There is no sure fire game changing safety that I have seen available in this draft. I don't think Kenny Phillips is a Landry or Sean Taylor type. Then again this is such a weak draft that his value could be up being at about where we pick even though he would normally go in the middle of round one. Phillips is actually exactly like Kerry Rhodes. He is a big, lanky playmaker and he would team up well with Rhodes as I think either one could support the run or cover a WR if need be. If that was the scenerio I would think the Jets would try to bail out of the pick though. That being said I would think Malcolm Jenkins (CB Ohio State) will be rated higher than Phillips and a better choice. Assuming no free agents are signed.

Hypothetical question:

What would you do?

no safeties with pick 6 of the draft, thanks. where did we get rhodes? With a 4?

I don't think picking a safety at #6 would be the right way to go. Considering this team has more pressing needs I think we have to look towards an OLB who can rush the passer and get constant pressure on the QB.

Would I be pissed if we did in fact draft a Kenny Phillips from Miami... not really. I think Phillips is an amazing athlete who would help this team, but the fact that we are lacking talent in so many areas I feel it would be a bad pick. What we need is..

1. A pass-rusher who's gonna have Brady running for his life.

2. A LG who will improve our offensive line.

3. An actual real NT to place in the middle of our Dline.

4. A DE who can actually help out against the run.

5. A RT who can maybe stop a DE from killing our QB.

Archived