Any Ray Rice fans here?

NIGHT STALKER

Any thoughts on picking this local kid in a later round if he declares?

By KEVIN DEVANEY JR.

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: January 5, 2008)

TORONTO - On a good day, Ray Rice is 5-foot-8.

The Rutgers star running back and New Rochelle native has rushed for 4,646 yards and 45 touchdowns in three seasons, helping turn the once-laughable Scarlet Knights into a perennial bowl team while emerging as a Heisman Trophy candidate.

But even if Rice passes up the NFL and returns for his senior season, and even if he breaks the Division I career rushing record next season and wins the Heisman and leads Rutgers to a BCS bowl, one thing will likely remain the same:

Ray Rice will still be 5-foot-8.

That's the primary reason why so many believe that Rice, who's carried the ball a staggering 875 times in 37 games, should make today's International Bowl against Ball State at the Rogers Centre the last of his prolific college career.

He should come out =nothing more for him to gain at rutgers-He is a tough runner for his size do not be so fooled. May be a good back like the guy in the article says to rotate-we have him in Leon already though.

He should come out =nothing more for him to gain at rutgers-He is a tough runner for his size do not be so fooled. May be a good back like the guy in the article says to rotate-we have him in Leon already though.

Coming out as a junior and a later round do not mix...

Why would he come out if advisers tell him he's going to be a 4th rounder?

I am not in the position to say where he will be drafted but IMO no way he would go 4th round.

I agree... but only if he is available in a later round. We have too many other needs. He does have a big heart though.

Go Rutgers!!!!

I like Ray Rice but I don't see any point in drafting him. He's a very solid all-around back, but the fact that he's undersized and doesn't make up for it by doing anything particularly great doesn't give me any reason to want him on the Jets. We already have 2 effective RB's and, at this point, it doesn't make sense to try and replace Jones unless its with someone that at least projects to be a franchise back.

He'd be better off staying in school and trying to see if his stock can increase anymore. There's a lot of RB's coming out this year and he'd be in danger of falling past the 3rd round if he came out this year.

Any thoughts on picking this local kid in a later round if he declares?

By KEVIN DEVANEY JR.

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: January 5, 2008)

TORONTO - On a good day, Ray Rice is 5-foot-8.

The Rutgers star running back and New Rochelle native has rushed for 4,646 yards and 45 touchdowns in three seasons, helping turn the once-laughable Scarlet Knights into a perennial bowl team while emerging as a Heisman Trophy candidate.

But even if Rice passes up the NFL and returns for his senior season, and even if he breaks the Division I career rushing record next season and wins the Heisman and leads Rutgers to a BCS bowl, one thing will likely remain the same:

Ray Rice will still be 5-foot-8.

That's the primary reason why so many believe that Rice, who's carried the ball a staggering 875 times in 37 games, should make today's International Bowl against Ball State at the Rogers Centre the last of his prolific college career.

Because in the 4th round he still can make a lot of money...he might need it !

A 3year contract will pay well over a Million for 3 years...why not..? If he thinks he will go higher in 2009 and he does not need the money..then check out the coeds for another year ! Oh to be able to have that choice !

Today Rice ran 35 times for 280 yards and 4 TD's as he went over 2000 yards on the year.

What a way to go out on your season.

One of the announcers said during the game that Schiano said that Rice didn't have great speed but said he reminded him of Emmit Smith. If I recall there were a few RB's drafted ahead of Smith. You just don't know how a back is going to perform in the pros until they get there. If Ray Rice decides to enter the draft, some team is going to get a good player with high character. Haven't heard anything negative about him yet.

Way to GO, RU !!

Archived