'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?

Jetscode1

I'm calling this deal a double reverse Herschel...and Mort is usually spot on with the skinny on the Tuna. IMO if the Cowboys trade Marion Barber and the two #1 draft picks the Phins are getting the better end of the deal. Also says the deal was already in the works...and explains why Jones didnt sqawk when the Tuna stole so many front office and coaches. What do you guys think? Boys or Phins win this trade?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it's clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office and coaching staff. If that's true it wouldn't surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.

I'm calling this deal a double reverse Herschel...and Mort is usually spot on with the skinny on the Tuna. IMO if the Cowboys trade Marion Barber and the two #1 draft picks the Phins are getting the better end of the deal. Also says the deal was already in the works...and explains why Jones didnt sqawk when the Tuna stole so many front office and coaches. What do you guys think? Boys or Phins win this trade?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it's clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office and coaching staff. If that's true it wouldn't surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.

F Mort

I predicted this month's ago and some postah here...could have been IJ said

no F'n way

Its amazing the wheeling and dealing that goes on around the NFL. We cant even settle a dispute with a disgruntled offensive lineman.

The New York Jets need a change and it cant come soon enough for me.With the Super Bowl a week away its aggravating to think about Giants vs Patriots.

Not only would Marion Barber become the best back in the AFC East but this would help Ronnie Brown as well. As much as I've knocked Brown, if he had another good back to team with (like he did at Auburn with Carnell Williams) he would be at his best. The Fins would have one of the best running games, if not the best running game in the NFL.

Dallas, IMO, would be stupid to do this. Then again, this is Jerry Jones that we're talking about.

found it 4 ya

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Jet

I don't care how desperate Jerry Jones is for Mcfadden, there is no way in Hell that Dallas make that trade.

surely you jest, his 2 #1's are not high enuff

MB3 will have to be part of package and he will be, specially after pokes

choke to GB

found it 4 ya

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Jet

I don't care how desperate Jerry Jones is for Mcfadden, there is no way in Hell that Dallas make that trade.

surely you jest, his 2 #1's are not high enuff

MB3 will have to be part of package and he will be, specially after pokes

choke to GB

What thread was that???

Actually maybe you were right, that would be an awful lot for Dallas to give up. I could see this trade, but not with Marion Barber involved. Sorry for the misunderstanding Aso.

their #1;s are not high enuff to warrant #1 pick, Parcells covets

MB3 and with DMC in fold Jones does not him anymore

I like this deal. It would ensure two things. 1) McFadden gets taken in the top-5 by Dallas, but also, 2) Atlanta doesn't take Mcfadden, and has an easier time taking a QB.

Dmac and a QB going in the top five, leaves at least two of the following:

Chris Long, Jake Long, Glen Dorsey Sedrick Ellis or Vernon Gholston for us to grab.

I like this deal. It would ensure two things. 1) McFadden gets taken in the top-5 by Dallas, but also, 2) Atlanta doesn't take Mcfadden, and has an easier time taking a QB.

Chris Long, Jake Long, Glen Dorsey Sedrick Ellis or Vernon Gholston for us to grab.

dal DMC

stl Jake Long

Oak Dorsey

atl Ryan

KC Clady

Jets Chris long or Ellis

their #1;s are not high enuff to warrant #1 pick, Parcells covets

MB3 and with DMC in fold Jones does not him anymore

MB3 is a top 5 RB IMO. Add that to the 2 1st picks and it far too much. I think Dallas should try and work out a trade which leaves them with D-Mac and MB3, that running attack would be unstoppable!!!

MB3 is a top 5 RB IMO. Add that to the 2 1st picks and it far too much. I think Dallas should try and work out a trade which leaves them with D-Mac and MB3, that running attack would be unstoppable!!!

Jones is dealing with parcells, MB3 will be in deal

If Dallas so badly wants McFadden then they can probably get him at three or later. It would be so tough for anyone else to move up to the one or two spots. And the Rams have Jackson.

You make a good point about the impact on Atl selection but I still don't see Chris Long making it down to #6. Oakland definitely takes him just because of the Raider genes.

The flip side is the Phins get better that much quicker with Tuna getting his type RB that he can pound the rock with. Not too mention Ronnie Brown. There are plenty of good defensive talent at the bottom of round #1 to use those first round picks..

With that kind of RBs would he make a move for Penny and would Tangini trade him within the division?

I agree. This plot is textbook Tuna...just like he had to have Curtis Martin. He knows MB III talented and how the running game helps his whole plan. I aint liking Parcells in our division again.

If Dallas so badly wants McFadden then they can probably get him at three or later. It would be so tough for anyone else to move up to the one or two spots. And the Rams have Jackson.

Exactly, I highly doubt the Dolphins had any plans to take DMC.

Mybe they just want to ensure they end up with him at all costs.:confused0082:

He's outstanding, but he almost definitely needs to be splitting carries the way Dallas has used him. Whenever he's had >20 carries in a game he followed that up with a stinker. Two different coaches in a row have used him this way & it's a bit of a reach to say that's pure coincidence. He's much more effective when the defense has been on the field for a little while & he comes in totally fresh. Love his running style.

This would be one helluva steal for the Phins.

Jones has to be out of his mind to make this trade. Barber is already one of the Top 3 RB's in the league IMHO and you're going to trade him plus additional draft picks for an unknown NFL commodity in Darren McFadden?

The idea of Barber and Brown teaming up for the next 5 years atleast should be enough to strike a little fear in any Jets, Pats, or Bills fan.

This would be one helluva steal for the Phins.

Jones has to be out of his mind to make this trade. Barber is already one of the Top 3 RB's in the league IMHO and you're going to trade him plus additional draft picks for an unknown NFL commodity in Darren McFadden?

The idea of Barber and Brown teaming up for the next 5 years atleast should be enough to strike a little fear in any Jets, Pats, or Bills fan.

That's why I just can't see this happening, It's just way too one sided. Jerry Jones is not that stupid.

dal DMC

stl Jake Long

Oak Dorsey

atl Ryan

KC Clady

Jets Chris long or Ellis

Don't be shocked if Oakland takes Ellis over Dorsey. Kifin coached Ellis in the Senior Bowl Saturday and he was VERY impressive. Then again Kifin might be gone by next week. With Wacky Al Davis in charge who the hell knows anything anymore. Carry on.

Just the thought of Jones making this trade has me convinced, he IS out of his mind. Now after you've made this trade you have to PAY McFadden a kazillion dollars because after all he IS the #1 pick in the draft. I don't think McFadden would go #1 if this trade was not done. I know Jones went to Arkansas and he's enthralled with players from there. I say screw the "he's from Arkansas " bit. That only means he has the same DNA as everyone else in the state. :biggrin:

Just the thought of Jones making this trade has me convinced, he IS out of his mind. Now after you've made this trade you have to PAY McFadden a kazillion dollars because after all he IS the #1 pick in the draft. I don't think McFadden would go #1 if this trade was not done. I know Jones went to Arkansas and he's enthralled with players from there. I say screw the "he's from Arkansas " bit. That only means he has the same DNA as everyone else in the state. :biggrin:

It

I dont think its going to happen, but if it did, JJ would be a moron. I really hope Miami can trade out of the 1 spot tho. Too many holes to fill to be giving an unproven college player all that money. If I'm Parcells, I'd throw the "draft chart" right out the window. I'd take less than the supposed "value" of the # 1 pick to stock pile picks this year and next. And if J.Jones wants to include MB3 in the trade, then he really has gone crazy! Pure speculation at thi spoint because of J.Jones ties to Arkansas... but man I'd be happy if it actually happened.:P

Not only would Marion Barber become the best back in the AFC East but this would help Ronnie Brown as well. As much as I've knocked Brown, if he had another good back to team with (like he did at Auburn with Carnell Williams) he would be at his best. The Fins would have one of the best running games, if not the best running game in the NFL.

Dallas, IMO, would be stupid to do this. Then again, this is Jerry Jones that we're talking about.

there's nothing wrong with Brown as a RB he does well behind that crap line.

but marion the barbarian is amazing! i don't want him in the AFC east i'd rather see mcfad.

Archived