What Arizona is saying...about Pace

ArizonaJet

:bs_lame:

Kent Somers

The Arizona Republic

Mar. 3, 2008 01:43 PM

Outside linebacker Calvin Pace has agreed to terms with the Jets on a six-year deal worth $42 million, including a $20 million signing bonus, according to ESPN.com.

Pace, who spent his first five seasons with the Cardinals, visited Miami and the Jets.

The contract is staggering considering Pace started just six games in the three seasons before last year. He became a starter last year after Chike Okeafor was injured in the preseason.

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0303pace.html

No one is going to applaud another franchise for taking one of their players away from them, so they look for the one thing to badmouth the said franchise; in this case it was a lot of guaranteed money. In reference to that forum, it's kind of hard to take any of them serious when not a single one of them (through the first 5 or so pages) mentioned anything about his transition from a hand in the ground 43 DE to a standing up 34 OLB.

I'm not saying that he is going to be a probowler, becuase none of us know whether it's a good contract until we see him play. However, until we see the official contract numbers and his impact on our defense it's tough to say whether it was a good move or bad move. That goes for the rest of our players and any other players signed in free agency.

Kent Somers

The Arizona Republic

Mar. 3, 2008 01:43 PM

Outside linebacker Calvin Pace has agreed to terms with the Jets on a six-year deal worth $42 million, including a $20 million signing bonus, according to ESPN.com.

Pace, who spent his first five seasons with the Cardinals, visited Miami and the Jets.

The contract is staggering considering Pace started just six games in the three seasons before last year. He became a starter last year after Chike Okeafor was injured in the preseason.

Thanks for the info AJ and welcome to JetNation. Live long and prosper.

You know what? That's a fair statement. It's a huge contract for an essentially unproven player. And the Jets plan to move him inside?

You do something this bold, you need to be right. If they are, the money won't matter.

Man, they better be right about Pace otherwise this regime could be in some trouble. I know Woody Johnson isnt the most active, medlesome owner. But if u dole out $22M guarenteed you better be getting a legit IMPACT player. Hope for everyones sake Pace is that player.

This guy has to be the real deal, we don't just throw out our money because of a decent season last year. They actually visit us and if this guy looks like a bum he's not getting an offer and if mangini thinks he can play then im sure he will do fine.

I pray that I'm wrong. However, I just think that we got worked. Pace isn't going to be that good.

I think we overpaid for this guy... Didn't really want him since we have his clone in Bryan Thomas, but it's OK... Hopefully I'm wrong

We have seen him play in Arizona. He will be a Pro Bowl LB. He is that good. Cut from the Terrell Suggs mold.

For the time being AJ I'll take your word for it. You have obliviously seen him play a lot more then I have. For the sake of the franchise I hope you are right.

This guy better have 12 sacks next season.

For the time being AJ I'll take your word for it. You have obliviously seen him play a lot more then I have. For the sake of the franchise I hope you are right.

This guy better have 12 sacks next season.

It's unrealstic to think Pace will have more than 10 sacks next year when his highest total was 6.5 in a contract year.

It's unrealstic to think Pace will have more than 10 sacks next year when his highest total was 6.5 in a contract year.

It's not that unrealistic; he'll be more comfortable with the 34, hopefully a better dline if jenkins plays like he is capable of. Shaun philips kind of had a similar role in diego and he had 7 sacks in '05 than 11.5 the following year. I'm not saying pace will explode like that, but it's not too unreasonable to think so.

I'd be happy if he had two sacks next year, but stuffed the line of scrimmage from an ILBer role and allowed Harris to go and make plays. I don't like the idea of this guy taking PT away from Bowens, who i think is a very good pass rusher.

We only have so many players on this team, we have to keep the guys we do have on the field as much as possible.

It's not that unrealistic; he'll be more comfortable with the 34, hopefully a better dline if jenkins plays like he is capable of. Shaun philips kind of had a similar role in diego and he had 7 sacks in '05 than 11.5 the following year. I'm not saying pace will explode like that, but it's not too unreasonable to think so.

You're seriously going on a homer frenzy. The guy played in a 3-4 last year and had by far the best season of his career and only got 6.5 sacks. What makes you think out of nowhere he'll get 10+ sacks next season.

It's not impossible, but I think more likely than not Pace is probably set for around 5 sacks next year.

I think we overpaid for this guy... Didn't really want him since we have his clone in Bryan Thomas, but it's OK... Hopefully I'm wrong

He has had a similar career trajectory as Thomas but he is not a Thomas clone. The guy is a good 20lbs heavier than Thomas and plays stronger than Thomas. True, they both excelled in their first year as hybrid OLB/DE in a 3-4 defense after sucking for years. Hopefully, this is where the similarities end.

Hey, have you ever thought about coming here and having something positive to say about the team whose forum you love posting in so much?

Yes and I have. I already said I like the Jenkins and Faneca signings.

excuse me, didn't he get hurt and miss most of the year?

Yes, he did get hurt but he did come back to live up to his contract after recovering. If you can't see the difference between getting injured and just flat out not performing I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, he did get hurt but he did come back to live up to his contract after recovering. If you can't see the difference between getting injured and just flat out not performing I don't know what to tell you.

answer this then, how much are the CHEATERS still paying for the guy who played up to his contract but got cut while under that said contract?

answer this then, how much are the CHEATERS still paying for the guy who played up to his contract but got cut while under that said contract?

I couldn't tell you. I'm not a salary cap guru. $0?

You're seriously going on a homer frenzy. The guy played in a 3-4 last year and had by far the best season of his career and only got 6.5 sacks. What makes you think out of nowhere he'll get 10+ sacks next season.

It's not impossible, but I think more likely than not Pace is probably set for around 5 sacks next year.

It's not being a homer, i'm far from one of them. I've been saying the entire offseason that we can't tell whether we had a good offseason or not until we see them play ball. But for you to say that he has 0 chance of getting 10+ sacks is being a "negative nancy." I never said he would get it or he was likely to get it, I just said it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities.

He played in a 34 last year and had his best year, which just so happened to be his first year in the 34. You can see that he exploded in the second half of the year and one could make an argument that he was catching onto the scheme. Shaun Philips burst onto the scene with 11.5 sacks after getting only 7 the previous year. Of course he had a much more talented defense to play on, but i'm just saying there's a possibility of it happening.

I personally feel he's gonna get around 8ish mot than 5. If bryan thomas can put up 8 sacks with a talent ridden defense than i don't doubt pace could either. Now that is just speaking about his potential, we may never see him utilize it, but it's a possibility. I think vbookie should set an over under on 8 sacks for pace this year.

I wanna point out that i'm not saying he's going to put up double digit sack numbers, but that it's not out of the realm of possibilities. I would rather hope he does than assume he doesn't.

October 18, 2005

Cardinals defensive end Calvin Pace severely cut his forearm during a household accident in Atlanta last week and is out for the season, coach Dennis Green said Monday. Pace, a 2003 first-round pick, suffered the injury Saturday night and had surgery on his arm soon after at Piedmont Hospital. Green said Pace slipped and tried to brace himself on a window. The window broke, and Pace's arm went through.

Source: Arizona Republic:beer_Orcish:

That seems like Arizona's problem more than the Jets problem who actually watched flim on Pace, seen how he can drop back in coverage, rush the Quarterback from the outside and also took note that Pace actually played great when givin the opportunity to make plays.

He sat the bench for three seasons with only 6 starts, he got a chance to play last year, and made the most of it? That sounds alot like Jericho Cotchery.

Arizona has been a losing franchise for years now, and I wont doubt the fact that they may have coaches who struggle on evaluating potential and talent.

October 18, 2005

Cardinals defensive end Calvin Pace severely cut his forearm during a household accident in Atlanta last week and is out for the season, coach Dennis Green said Monday. Pace, a 2003 first-round pick, suffered the injury Saturday night and had surgery on his arm soon after at Piedmont Hospital. Green said Pace slipped and tried to brace himself on a window. The window broke, and Pace's arm went through.

Source: Arizona Republic:beer_Orcish:

:shock:

jamesrick_cp_6174702.jpg

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I personally don't see him getting 10 sacks either, but I think he should be capable of getting 6-8. The key will be having quality LBers who can keep the pressure off of each other. So that while Pace may only get at most 8, Thomas will also get at least 8, Harris will get 5-7,and Barton/whoever else may start at ILB to get at least 4-5. I hope to see the starting LB unit get at least 25-30 sacks between the 4 of them.

Archived