Coles Update--no show yesterday: MERGED

4HCrew

Laveranues Coles, Dewayne Robertson are Jet no-shows at Hofstra

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, March 18th 2008, 4:00 AM

amd_coles.jpg Weissman for News Laveranues Coles

Wide receiver Laveranues Coles and nose tackle Dewayne Robertson were no-shows Monday for the start of the Jets' offseason conditioning program at Hofstra, a team spokesman confirmed. In Robertson's case, it's yet another sign his days with the team are numbered.

The Jets have been trying to trade Robertson for nearly a month, and they are currently in discussions with the Broncos. Just yesterday, Denver acquired an extra sixth-round draft pick by trading offensive lineman Chris Myers to the Texans, and they could use that pick in a Robertson trade.

The Broncos are attempting to restructure Robertson's contract, which has two years and $18 million remaining. Robertson's agent, Hadley Engelhard, didn't return calls. GM Mike Tannenbaum said recently that he expected Robertson to participate in the program, claiming the Jets still have a role for him even though they traded for nose tackle Kris Jenkins, but that was widely viewed as posturing.

Coles' absence stems from his contract. He wants the Jets to tear up his final two years and give him a long-term extension. Coles, 30, has $11 million remaining on his deal. The Jets offered to guarantee the money, but Coles believes he is worth more to the team.

Coles is a team captain, one of the most respected players in the locker room. Eric Mangini, trying to prevent unrest, badly wants Coles to show up. Coles couldn't be reached for comment. Offseason programs are voluntary, so players can't be penalized for not participating.

In other developments, the Jets confirmed the signing of former Packers tight end Bubba Franks. They also brought in Patriots wide receiver/punt returner Troy Brown on a free-agent visit. Brown, 36, one of the most beloved players in New England history, was informed recently that he's no longer in the Patriots' plans.

Coming off knee surgery, Brown, the Patriots' all-time leading receiver, played in only one game last season and did not record a reception. He may opt for retirement.

NFL_Coles_small.jpg

The Jets and Laveranues Coles are reportedly close to reaching a deal that would convince Coles to report to the club's offseason program.

A source told the Newark Star-Ledger that the deal is "win-win for both sides." Coles skipped the first day of the program on Monday. It appears the Jets are caving to Coles one year after refusing to do so for G Pete Kendall. Mar. 18 - 8:58 am et

It depends on how much they're getting, but it's not too upsetting. I was one for not giving him more money, but if it's a fair deal than whatever. But, i agree, i don't think he should be in contention for team captain. A team captain should lead by example and not going to voluntary workouts, barring injury, is not the way to lead the young guys. I'd like to see clemens and harris get it or maybe clemens and rhodes.

It depends on how much they're getting, but it's not too upsetting. I was one for not giving him more money, but if it's a fair deal than whatever. But, i agree, i don't think he should be in contention for team captain. A team captain should lead by example and not going to voluntary workouts, barring injury, is not the way to lead the young guys. I'd like to see clemens and harris get it or maybe clemens and rhodes.

I'm not sure that the coach gets to pick the team captain. Don't the players elect them? Besides, Clemens and Rhodes aren't necessarily the best choices for the CS. Clemens because he hasn't been playing very well and I wouldn't want Rhodes to be a "team captain" until we have him under contract for more than just the '08 season.

I'm not sure that the coach gets to pick the team captain. Don't the players elect them? Besides, Clemens and Rhodes aren't necessarily the best choices for the CS. Clemens because he hasn't been playing very well and I wouldn't want Rhodes to be a "team captain" until we have him under contract for more than just the '08 season.

Oh i know, the players definately pick it and i don't think the players should choose him. It doesn't matter how well you play, it's how the team thinks of you and from what i've heard, everyone thinks kellen has that "it." I would like harris to get it personally.

Coles and Cotchery is a top 10 WR combo in the league, yeah Coles has been real greedy but at the same time, he has been a Jet, and been a Jet for along time. He plays his heart out each and every Sunday, he puts his body on the line, he gets injured and still trys to play on the field, believe it or not... He's a huge part of the heart of this Offense. I hope we make a deal thats great for both sides and have Coles ready to go with a hunger to win with this improved Jets team.

We payed Pace crazy money and he never played a down for the Jets, lets keep the chemestry good with the Jets and make a deal with Coles.

We need Coles on this team to even make the playoffs, he'll show up, Coles is not like this AT ALL.

What are you smoking? You mean the same Mr.Coles who left the Jets to go to Washington where he could get more $$$ instead of staying with his team, or the Coles who had to have a new deal before he and Santana were swapped before the '05 season? You mean that Laveranues? Nah, he never complains about anything, especially money. :confused0058:

Coles and Cotchery is a top 10 WR combo in the league, yeah Coles has been real greedy but at the same time, he has been a Jet, and been a Jet for along time. He plays his heart out each and every Sunday, he puts his body on the line, he gets injured and still trys to play on the field, believe it or not... He's a huge part of the heart of this Offense. I hope we make a deal thats great for both sides and have Coles ready to go with a hunger to win with this improved Jets team.

Absolutely.

Coles is one of those guys who isn't happy unless he's grumbling, but he gives 100% out on the field and has never been a problem off of it. He's a major asset to the Jets, and Mangini knows it. That's why he named him a captain. He'd take 53 guys bitching the way Coles does as long as they put out on the field the way Coles does.

Frankly, I think fans bitch about Coles more than Coles bitches. Jets are gonna get a deal done because they know he's worth it.

Jets are idiots if they give this a-hole even one dollar more. Trade his ass if he doesn't want to play here.

Thats what most Jet fans said about Pete Kendall last offseason, and look how Ferguson, Montgomery, Mangold, Moore and Clement played, the loss of a veteran leader killed that O-Line, thank god for Faneca.

I dont even wanna think about Cotchery as our #1, Brad Smith as our #2 and Stukey as our #3 with either Chad or Kellen as QB. Believe it or not, Coles means ALOT to this offense, alot more than what Kendall meant to the O-Line.

Jets are idiots if they give this a-hole even one dollar more. Trade his ass if he doesn't want to play here.

That is caving in. If you want to play hardball, you don't play hardball by giving him what he wants. You tell him that he signed a contract and we expect him to honor it. When there's one year left on it, we will re-address his contract at that time. But even then, we'll only redo it if he is in our long-term plans.

That is caving in. If you want to play hardball,

We played hardball with Kendall last offseason, stuck him in the rookie dorm, the whole 9... Look at what type of season we had last year because of the Jets FO playing hardball.

Yeah Coles has been greedy, but he has put his body on the line every Sunday for this Jets team

We played hardball with Kendall last offseason, stuck him in the rookie dorm, the whole 9... Look at what type of season we had last year because of the Jets FO playing hardball.

Yeah Coles has been greedy, but he has put his body on the line every Sunday for this Jets team

I'd shop him for a Second, and get his replacement with that pick. The guy is a good player, but he's 30 and I'd look to inject some youth.

The only way i'd say we re-sign him if we extend 4 years 20 mill with 10 guaranteed

Other wise option 1

Not every Sunday. He missed games. And because of the nature of concussions (and people who have had some in a relatively short time span) he's bound to miss plenty more.

The problem with Kendall is we didn't get a replacement & then continued to play hardball. If we don't take a WR early in the draft, there is no choice. Even still, I don't know that they're in a position to do anything regardless. They really need one draftee and one rookie prospect. One of them should be an above-average one & the other can be so-so (and I don't know if it matters much which one is the better talent given what's been available). But they really need one of each. And with only the draft coming up, they've already cut their own hands off.

We can still sit pat with Coles now. But once the draft is over, if our WR corps looks eerily similar to the way it does right now, there is no choice. Have to pay that piece of garbage.

Of course, if we give him more money and we go on to win a superbowl, I take back everything I've written about him over the last month, lol.

I really don't see how the "he should play for the contract that he signed" argument comes into play in the NFL.

I would 100% agree if we were also in the mindset that the teams should pay out and honor the contracts that they offer but that almost never happens.

As far as commintment goes contracts in the NFL are worthless from both sides.

I don't agree with what coles is doing but just dont think the "honor the contract" thing should be used against any player.

I think that at this stage in Coles career he should be happy that the Jets are trying to win now.

I really don't see how the "he should play for the contract that he signed" argument comes into play in the NFL.

I would 100% agree if we were also in the mindset that the teams should pay out and honor the contracts that they offer but that almost never happens.

As far as commintment goes contracts in the NFL are worthless from both sides.

I don't agree with what coles is doing but just dont think the "honor the contract" thing should be used against any player.

I think that at this stage in Coles career he should be happy that the Jets are trying to win now.

So why have contracts at all if you think the player doesn`t need to honor them ,for wht the JETS are going to end up paying him we could have had Randy Moss ,same attitude as Coles maybe but he at least puts his teams money where his big mouth is!!!

So why have contracts at all if you think the player doesn`t need to honor them ,for wht the JETS are going to end up paying him we could have had Randy Moss ,same attitude as Coles maybe but he at least puts his teams money where his big mouth is!!!

I think you kinda missed my point.

The way contracts work in the NFL made them what they are today.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think when a team offers a contract to someone that the team should honor the whole thing?

I think you kinda missed my point.

The way contracts work in the NFL made them what they are today.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think when a team offers a contract to someone that the team should honor the whole thing?

Not if they also got a signing bonus (like Coles got). That is the purpose.

It would also be bad for the league. A couple of bad signings, as things work out today, and a team can get out from under them in a year or two. If the whole contract is guaranteed, bad teams could suck for 5+ years (longer if they make a couple of other regrettable signings).

Look at all these awful contracts Oakland handed out. As much as it would hurt their cap, they could release these players & start anew with their cap in 2 years. They wouldn't, but they could. Their attendance would drop down to nothing & the other place that hurts them is Al Davis' pride for giving out $20M guaranteed to Tommy Kelly, etc.

The thing is, the ability to release a player is a team's only recourse if the player is bad. It's not like baseball; there is a salary cap. And until such time as players are forced to return money (or go through after-the-fact arbitration) if their play is far below their compensation, this is the best system.

Players get rich. Owners...ok, well they're already rich. But the franchise can get out from a bad contract when they want to. It may hit their cap really hard for a year or two, but it can be done.

And none of this pertains to Coles anyway, since we offered to guarantee those last two years. This, AFTER he already received $8M in bonus money in his first 2 years here. So he can try selling that "security" stance to people who are dumb enough to eat it up.

It would also be bad for the league. A couple of bad signings, as things work out today, and a team can get out from under them in a year or two. If the whole contract is guaranteed, bad teams could suck for 5+ years (longer if they make a couple of other regrettable signings).

Look at all these awful contracts Oakland handed out. As much as it would hurt their cap, they could release these players & start anew with their cap in 2 years. They wouldn't, but they could. Their attendance would drop down to nothing & the other place that hurts them is Al Davis' pride for giving out $20M guaranteed to Tommy Kelly, etc.

The thing is, the ability to release a player is a team's only recourse if the player is bad. It's not like baseball; there is a salary cap. And until such time as players are forced to return money (or go through after-the-fact arbitration) if their play is far below their compensation, this is the best system.

Players get rich. Owners...ok, well they're already rich. But the franchise can get out from a bad contract when they want to. It may hit their cap really hard for a year or two, but it can be done.

And none of this pertains to Coles anyway, since we offered to guarantee those last two years. This, AFTER he already received $8M in bonus money in his first 2 years here. So he can try selling that "security" stance to people who are dumb enough to eat it up.

I agree with everything you said here. The best example of how bad guaranteed contracts work out would have to be the Knicks even though other NBA teams seem to be doing fine with it but just have to make better decisions.

Beleive me when I say that I do not want to see 100% guaranteed contracts like that in the NFL and in my first post stated that i didn't agree with what Coles is doing.

The point that I was trying to make was just pointed at a specific argument that makes it sound like he's doing something bad based solely on the fact that he has a signed contract. All i'm saying is that if the teams don't show that a "contract" means something they shouldn't expect players to act like it does.

He is a greedy dirtbag whose skills are dimninishing. It is a business decision. He does not deserve what he is asking for. But we have no one to slip in his place because our receiving corps sucks. Whoever said we have a top 10 duo is smoking hash.

Archived