Its official: the Tigers are f'ing nuts: Resign Cabrera to $153.3 million deal

Cabrera set to ink Tigers' biggest pact: $153.3 million

By Enrique Rojas

ESPNdeportes.com

KISSIMMEE, Florida -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The All-Star third baseman will undergo a physical on Monday to complete the deal, the source said.

"Miguel just signed a big contract," said the source. "The contract will be completed when Miguel takes a physical on Monday."

Overall, it would become the fourth-richest pact ever in baseball history. Cabrera would trail Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez ($275 million), Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter ($189 million) and Boston outfielder Manny Ramirez ($160 million) in the total salary package listing.

Cabrera's contract is also the richest in Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

Cabrera, 24, was eligible for arbitration in 2009 and could become a free agent after the season ended. He will earn $11.3 million in 2008, and then an average of $19 million per year through 2016.

Cabrera and pitcher Dontrelle Willis joined Detroit as part of a trade with Florida in December. The Marlins received a package of six players, including two highly rated prospects: left-hander Andrew Miller and outfielder Cameron Maybin.

Cabrera, one of the game's top sluggers, joins an imposing lineup that includes Ordonez, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Guillen, Ivan Rodriguez, Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco. The Tigers also acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria, a five-time All-Star, in a trade with Atlanta this offseason.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's approximately 19mil/yr for one of the best young hitters in the game with one year left before free agency. IMO he would have gotten more in an open market. Cabrera is due to make about what Soriano is making annually, and Soriano is not in Miggy's class as a hitter. I understand the weight issues is a concern, but I think the guy can be 500lbs and still give you .330/42/120 for the next 10 years.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's approximately 19mil/yr for one of the best young hitters in the game with one year left before free agency. IMO he would have gotten more in an open market. Cabrera is due to make about what Soriano is making annually, and Soriano is not in Miggy's class as a hitter. I understand the weight issues is a concern, but I think the guy can be 500lbs and still give you .330/42/120 for the next 10 years.

Does anyone see the irony in a Yankees fan calling this signing nuts?

he's way out of shape. he doesn't put up those numbers for 10 years. not a chance

he hasn't hit 120 RBI in a single season

or 42 home runs

what do you base that on?

he's way out of shape. he doesn't put up those numbers for 10 years. not a chance

Guy lost 20 lbs in an offseason workout.He'll be fine.

It's funny. The Yanks throw bagillion dollar contracts at players and the Tigers throw out one to a players that's put up the #s and they get s***. Your not the only ones willing to spend money.

Outside of the contracts the Yanks assumed (traded for) in most years they have not been giving outrageous contracts. Granted ARod, but what the hell were they to do

The old spending spree of Giambi Jeter, Johnson, and Pavano are in the past

The more recent moves have to to pay our own, and sign reasonable deals with Matsui and Damon

Guy lost 20 lbs in an offseason workout.He'll be fine.

It's funny. The Yanks throw bagillion dollar contracts at players and the Tigers throw out one to a players that's put up the #s and they get s***. Your not the only ones willing to spend money.

I hate the Bankees. Don't look at me. I still think it was a questionable signing.

Yeah what is nuts about that deal?.... There are a few curious 20 million dollar contracts in pinstripes that I would take Miggy over in a second.

talk to me in 3-4 years

everything is gravy in Tiger land right now sure but what about down the road

Outside of the contracts the Yanks assumed (traded for) in most years they have not been giving outrageous contracts. Granted ARod, but what the hell were they to do

The old spending spree of Giambi Jeter, Johnson, and Pavano are in the past

The more recent moves have to to pay our own, and sign reasonable deals with Matsui and Damon

I think you'd agree if Cabrera had been a FA and ARod had walked, the Yanks would have doled out the same contract for him.

the difference is the tigers had to give up a tremendous amount for the right to overpay him

He's not overpaid in todays market and giving up the prospects to get him assured that they had first shot at this signing.

The trade and the signing was excellent work on Detroits part. Maybrin and Miller will be stars in Florida eventually but Miggy is a top 15 player TODAY and the Tigers are in a win now mode.

Sure, we can say that about any player.......see Giambi. Seems like yesterday when Miggy was in the NL East you were touting him as the best 3rd Baseman in the division (though Wright is the much better all around player).

Now your tune seems to have changed since he's a Tiger.

This post deserves a POTW nom.

Sure, we can say that about any player.......see Giambi. Seems like yesterday when Miggy was in the NL East you were touting him as the best 3rd Baseman in the division (though Wright is the much better all around player).

Now your tune seems to have changed since he's a Tiger.

1-Miggy was traded awhile ago, not yesterday.

2-Miggy IS the better player, but i wouldn't sign David Wright to a 19 million per year deal either. Wright wouldn't need a position change atleast though.

3-Miggy went from being the best 3rd baseman in the NL to #2 in the AL ;)

David Wright>Miggy.

Plus he makes less than half of what Miggy makes. And he's not tremendously overweight. And he plays better D.

last 3 years:

player a: .314/.396/.534, 83 homers, 325 RBI and 308 runs, 142 OPS+ in 474 games, 0.61 shares of MVP voting

player b: .327/.405/.564, 93 homers, 349 RBI and 309 runs, 154 OPS+ in 473 games, 0.75 shares of MVP voting

want to guess who is who? both players look great but Miggy's 12 point OPS+ lead makes up for Wright's defense and SB's.

Wright was a monster in the second half of 2007 though.

Wright in 2007 from may 1st - end of season: .339/.425/.589 with 30 homers and 101 RBI

too bad he was putrid in April.

ummm, similar OBP, much better baserunning, much more steals, much better fielding, a guy that isn't 50 pounds overweight, and a guy that makes less than half what Miggy makes? Yeah, I'll take it.

Miggy will probably buy a Detroit fast food joint with his money and keep eating his way out of baseball. I wouldn't be surprised.

Archived