Coles to report

BroadwayJ667

Good. Enough with the outspoken statements. Now the Jets' main goal should be to lock up Kerry Rhodes to a 5 or 6 year deal and turn the rest of their focus towards the draft and filling in the final holes.

Robertson shouldn't actually be working out. If he works out he loses weight which is bad. And on his knees save the wear and tear for game day. Let him sit out and wheel him on to the field next year for 12 awesome snaps at 370.

Robertson shouldn't actually be working out. If he works out he loses weight which is bad. And on his knees save the wear and tear for game day. Let him sit out and wheel him on to the field next year for 12 awesome snaps at 370.

That would be a bargain, only about 1 million a snap.

Good. Enough with the outspoken statements. Now the Jets' main goal should be to lock up Kerry Rhodes to a 5 or 6 year deal and turn the rest of their focus towards the draft and filling in the final holes.

Why the rush dude? We have all of next offseason to get Rhodes locked up, and we could always apply the franchise tag in 09 if things dont work out next offseason.

Why the rush dude? We have all of next offseason to get Rhodes locked up, and we could always apply the franchise tag in 09 if things dont work out next offseason.

No we do not have all next offseason. This is the last year of Rhodes' contract. If we wait until Jan-Feb next year, and Rhodes has already made it through the season healthy, he'd be a fool to not shop himself around at the very least, just to make sure the Jets are the highest bidders in the NFL. Probably costs an extra $1-2M/yr minimum to wait until next season. He'd take less now for the security against injuring himself in '08. Once he "survives" '08, we lose all leverage.

No we do not have all next offseason. This is the last year of Rhodes' contract. If we wait until Jan-Feb next year, and Rhodes has already made it through the season healthy, he'd be a fool to not shop himself around at the very least, just to make sure the Jets are the highest bidders in the NFL. Probably costs an extra $1-2M/yr minimum to wait until next season. He'd take less now for the security against injuring himself in '08. Once he "survives" '08, we lose all leverage.

OTOH, if we don't extend him and he blows out his knee in '08 and ends up a shell of his former self we will not have to deal with eating his huge signing bonus when he is cut.

OTOH, if we don't extend him and he blows out his knee in '08 and ends up a shell of his former self we will not have to deal with eating his huge signing bonus when he is cut.

Let's not sign anyone then. Or we'll announce that we're the only team that will no longer award signing bonuses. I'm sure players will still come here.

With the way the FA market is going the Jets could probably "tag" him twice at a discount to what he is demanding in FA.

that has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read here..

This is exciting news for me as a Jets fan. I dont care who the starting quarterback is... Kellen OR Chad, having a healthy WR in Coles who is focused on winning is Important

The man runs good routes, gets open and makes just about any catch thats possible, Im glad Coles will be our #1 WR once again because that means Cotchery should dominate #2 CB's again

Let's not sign anyone then. Or we'll announce that we're the only team that will no longer award signing bonuses. I'm sure players will still come here.

Um.... guys I'm fully in favor of extending Rhodes. I've been saying it since last season when I knew we had the extra $10M in cap space. That's what I wanted to do with it. That was a "just our luck" statement.

Um.... guys I'm fully in favor of extending Rhodes. I've been saying it since last season when I knew we had the extra $10M in cap space. That's what I wanted to do with it. That was a "just our luck" statement.

I just have a bad feeling that Rhodes is gonna be another John Abe situation. First we might have a tough time signing him to a fair deal for both the Jets and Rhodes, then we may have to franchise tag him, then before you know it he will be playing against the Jets for the Patriots. I dont like to think negative-but I just have a bad feeling about this one.

According to the Newark Star Ledger it could be one of two things:

A. If Coles stays healthy for the 2008 season, the team will give him a long term contract extension.

or

B. He will be able to seek a trade (although they did not clarify if it would be before the '08 season or the '09 season).

If this is true and the Jets didn't give him any more $, great job by Tangini in getting him into camp and shutting him up.

I know I already responded to this, but I'm still trying to figure out how my statement was "ignorant", let alone "one of the most ignorant statements" you've read here. Sperm indicated that Rhodes would (probably) be willing to sign for some degree of discount to offset the danger of him suffering a catastrophic injury in '08. If we don't get that discount it's just bad business because the FO is weighing the same risks.

I just have a bad feeling that Rhodes is gonna be another John Abe situation. First we might have a tough time signing him to a fair deal for both the Jets and Rhodes, then we may have to franchise tag him, then before you know it he will be playing against the Jets for the Patriots. I dont like to think negative-but I just have a bad feeling about this one.

I'd love to sign Rhodes up long term. I've wanted to for some time. OTOH, you can't force the guy to sign a contract. We don't know if the Jets are lowballing him or if he's looking for CB money. If we don't get a deal done there is still the franchise tag to fall back on and I'm not as worried about losing a safety as most other positions. Franchising Abraham didn't work out so bad. We got a first rounder and he hasn't come back to bite us in the ass as a player either.

According to the Newark Star Ledger it could be one of two things:

A. If Coles stays healthy for the 2008 season, the team will give him a long term contract extension.

or

B. He will be able to seek a trade (although they did not clarify if it would be before the '08 season or the '09 season).

If this is true and the Jets didn't give him any more $, great job by Tangini in getting him into camp and shutting him up.

I don't see how on earth it could be A or B allowing him to seek a trade before the '09 season. The guy already claimed the FO lied to him. So did Kendall and to a lesser extent Moore. How could he be taking their word for it now? There has to be something in writing.

The Jets might have said something by word, but now they may have it in writing that if he stays healthy and is productive in 2008 he will be either granted permission to seek a trade or will have to be given an extension by the team.

Its confusing, but I think this works for both parties. The Jets don't have to give him the $ now and if he steps up in '08, they'll be happy for his performance and he'll be getting a brand new deal. It makes sense. Maybe too much sense.

Archived