I have to say Brandon Flowers looks like the best CB in this draft

SUorangefootball

I know McKelvin is in every top 10 but after watching about 3 hours of tape on Brandon Flowers ( 4 Va Tech games from begging to end in a row ) I'm not sure there is a better corner back in the draft that fits our style and completes our secondary. I'm not sure how long he'll last because i think the run on corners starts early in the top 10 and will be well past the point of our reach in round two for a guy like flowers. What would you do as a Jet fan if we shocked the world by taking Brandon Flowers with the #6 overall pick? I realize its not likely, I'm dealing in hypothetical so work with me.

He'll be exposed in a man to man scheme.

He's very slow and has a very low vertical, that's incredibly worrying for a small CB. Big, fast NFL WR's would roast him when manned up.

In a zone scheme I think he could be great though.

Yes he will be exposed, but in a good way. He is an excellent man cover corner; while he may not have the great straight line speed of deangello hall or the other guys coming out of tech, he has excellent change of direction speed and can stay in the hip-pocket of the quickest recievers and is aggresive enough to play the bigger ones. I think a purely zone scheme would be ill fit for him; it would exaggerate his poor tackling abilities. He reminds me too much of the ed reeds' who go for the big hit rather than wrap up and keep driving the legs.

yeah, if you like smurfs. The guy is a midget.[/quo

He is exactly the same size as Antoine Winfield and i don't think it has effected how good a corner that guy is. Go watch tape on Flowers and tell me he's a smurf! The guy plays like he's a linebacker, now, if you want to make the argument that you don't see how that physical style of play can work in the NFL (or he'll wear down from injury) then i agree that COULD be a concern but he does not play small or slow based on any tape i've seen.

i saw some tape of him too...in fact he was mike mayocks #1 corner when the combine started...it was his 40 time that dropped his stock...but from what i've seen he might be the most complete cb in the draft as far as technique...his height and straight line speed might be a concern but with solid technique he might be able to be a shut down corner...if he somehow lasts to our pick in the second and we take him i wouldn't be upset!!

He'll be exposed in a man to man scheme.

He's very slow and has a very low vertical, that's incredibly worrying for a small CB. Big, fast NFL WR's would roast him when manned up.

In a zone scheme I think he could be great though.

Not true. Smaller CB's are better in this day and age of the NFL. Big CB's will get smoked by WR's like Santana Moss, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith just to name a few.

QB's will lose a small CB in reading their coverage. Flowers could actually benefit from his size. In regards to players like a Randy Moss, CB's big or small would have to double team anyway.

I know McKelvin is in every top 10 but after watching about 3 hours of tape on Brandon Flowers ( 4 Va Tech games from begging to end in a row ).

You watched 3 hours of tape on Brandon Flowers??? On purpose?

Are you a member of the front office and testing the waters or just some psycho jets fan with nothing better to do?

Not true. Smaller CB's are better in this day and age of the NFL. Big CB's will get smoked by WR's like Santana Moss, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith just to name a few.

QB's will lose a small CB in reading their coverage. Flowers could actually benefit from his size. In regards to players like a Randy Moss, CB's big or small would have to double team anyway.

That's ridiculous. The entire league is moving toward taller, faster CB's. Flowers is slow, slow. Of the top 20 CB's he's tied for second to last. He's too short, and has a terrible vertical.

He would get smoked by the smurfs, and smoked by the giants. He would get out-jumped by the smurfs and out-just standing there by the Giants.

Sorry, but a 5'9 CB on a 6'5 WR like Burress is an 8' difference. Factor in vertical leaping and it's no contest.

That's ridiculous. The entire league is moving toward taller, faster CB's. Flowers is slow, slow. Of the top 20 CB's he's tied for second to last. He's too short, and has a terrible vertical.

He would get smoked by the smurfs, and smoked by the giants. He would get out-jumped by the smurfs and out-just standing there by the Giants.

Sorry, but a 5'9 CB on a 6'5 WR like Burress is an 8' difference. Factor in vertical leaping and it's no contest.

Yes i did watch 4 hours on purpose, i'm a writer for KFFL, and the tapes don't lie, Flowers does not play slow despite the poor 40 time. Also, show me ANY cb that can compete with Burris? do you know any 6'6 CB's playing the game today? Bottom line is Flowers has an exception football mind, very solid tackling skills, tremendous ball skills and amazing change of direction agility. Those are the skills needed to be a top flight corner, speed doesn't hurt but there are plenty of outstanding CB's who can't break 4.5 (see Ty Law)

Yes i did watch 4 hours on purpose, i'm a writer for KFFL, and the tapes don't lie, Flowers does not play slow despite the poor 40 time. Also, show me ANY cb that can compete with Burris? do you know any 6'6 CB's playing the game today? Bottom line is Flowers has an exception football mind, very solid tackling skills, tremendous ball skills and amazing change of direction agility. Those are the skills needed to be a top flight corner, speed doesn't hurt but there are plenty of outstanding CB's who can't break 4.5 (see Ty Law)

I watched 3 minutes of high-light clips; meaning the best of his best, and came away unimpressed. Let's not pretend like he's the second coming or anything because he isn't.

He's small, slow and (I'll amdit) a ready tackler, but not a great one.

He's inconsistant and has character concerns. Skill-wise, he is barely makes the top-10.

Archived