Jets' interview list looks impressive

TaborJet

what??? Where's the Long's??? Where's Ryan????

Thats it.... we must be drafting DMC. Its all right there.

Teams dont' always interview the guy they plan on drafting so as to not tip their hand. Actual game film and interviews with college/HS coaches is enough to vouch for a guys character and the Jets like to play it close to the vest. Hell, if those are the only guys they brought in then they could be forced to take a guy they didn't interveiw unless McKelvin is who they want. I can see Gholson and McFadden potentially off the board when the Jets are on the clock in which case there's no other "top 6" talent that they've brought in (according to the "experts" anyway).

Teams dont' always interview the guy they plan on drafting so as to not tip their hand. Actual game film and interviews with college/HS coaches is enough to vouch for a guys character and the Jets like to play it close to the vest. Hell, if those are the only guys they brought in then they could be forced to take a guy they didn't interveiw unless McKelvin is who they want. I can see Gholson and McFadden potentially off the board when the Jets are on the clock in which case there's no other "top 6" talent that they've brought in (according to the "experts" anyway).

Solid reply AFJ. At NO time does the NFL produce more misdirection and out right lies than right now. And the leader in this catagory ? Our own former HC Bill Parcells. As far as everyone saying the Dolfags are talking to Jake Long on a contract I can see Parcells picking Chris Long instead. Parcells usually does the COMPLETE opposite of what he says he's gonna do.

Jake Long and Chris Long both are gone by 5 at the latest and the Jets know that, so theres no surprise to me that neither of them are scheduled for a visit. I am however surprised that there is no Matt Ryan on that list. Maybe they believe that no matter what Atlanta is picking Ryan? Just don't make sense to me unless that is the case.

Jake Long and Chris Long both are gone by 5 at the latest and the Jets know that, so theres no surprise to me that neither of them are scheduled for a visit. I am however surprised that there is no Matt Ryan on that list. Maybe they believe that no matter what Atlanta is picking Ryan? Just don't make sense to me unless that is the case.

According to some of the other reports they have spent plenty of time with Ryan. Remember the article with Ryan saying that the Jets were forcing him to run plays under duress and rolling out? These are just guys they have had out to their facility.

According to some of the other reports they have spent plenty of time with Ryan. Remember the article with Ryan saying that the Jets were forcing him to run plays under duress and rolling out? These are just guys they have had out to their facility.

True. Thanks for reminding my Dom, that completely slipped my mind. Forgot all about it.

The closer and closer we get to the draft, the more and more I would love to see the Jets go out and get Matt Ryan. I went from Gholston to Ryan, but I'd be pretty happy with either.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7958748/What-question-stopped-me-in-my-tracks?

Here's that article mentioned above.

Excerpt:

But the Pro Day turned out to be a warmup for the real work. On the Thursday night before Good Friday, I had dinner with the Jets and I have to tell you, I totally clicked with their offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. What a great coach, great offensive mind, and he just has this thing about him that puts you at ease and makes you immediately feel like he's on your side trying to get you better. I was really impressed with how relaxed he makes you feel.

While I threw 52 passes at my Pro Day, the Jets had me make about 65 to 70 throws in a little over an hour. Maybe we should have planned better because due to the timing of the Jets and Dolphins workouts — one was on Good Friday while the other was the day after Easter — we had no wide receivers in town. But we more than made due. I had two very talented tight ends in John Loyte and Trey Koziol, and two running backs who both run routes like a wideout, Andre Callender and L.V. Whitworth. Even with no true wideouts, we didn't lack at all for guys who can get downfield and haul in passes.

The difference between the Jets workout and the Pro Day was the Jets wanted me to make throws and reads within their schemes. They wanted to see first-hand what balls I can throw from within their offense. They especially wanted to see my footwork in the pocket and had me make several throws on the move. They wanted to see where I could put the ball when I was forced to move out of the pocket.

I was as happy with the performance as I was with my Pro Day, but I got to throw on the run a bit more and show off my arm when under pressure and my footwork a little bit more. I loved it.

They especially wanted to see my footwork in the pocket and had me make several throws on the move. They wanted to see where I could put the ball when I was forced to move out of the pocket.

Interesting as these were two areas that I thought Clemens struggled in. I saw him throw one pass, a short pass at that, into the ground several yards from the receiver as he was rolling out. Maybe this is why they want to see Ryan throwing under certain conditions because they might not be happy with Kellen's development on those types of throws.

Honestly, if we pick Matt Ryan with our 1st Pick Overall (He will not be there anyway), it will honestly be the worst mistake in the history of the Jets. After the offensive line that they just created, to spend even more guaranteed money on a QB (that would be our 3rd String QB, provided the Jets keep Chad P.) is absolute insane and assanine. Our biggest need is still on the defensive side of the ball, because of our inability to stop the run. Yes we have added key elements (aged and experienced players) this off-season to provide for the confidence and ability to win "now", but now we're going to draft Vernon Gholston (if not taken at #6) to solidify our LB corp (especially with Pace, and I believe a late-round ILB addition to eventually step into Eric Barton's B***sh*t starting role at ILB). With Gholston and Pace roaming the field during pass plays and blitzing into the running lanes we will finally be able to actually play with a lead in games, mainly due to our now much improved ability to RUN THE BALL. I also believe that because of the additions to the O-Line, Kellen Clemens will be our starting QB for next season, a season where he legitimately has to hand the ball off 25-30 times a game and only throw 10-15 passes for 175 yds. I believe the Jets and definitely myself, are ready to let go of Chad Pennington (and his starting QB Salary) and start anew with Kellen Clemens and possibly Joe Flacco-QB-Delaware (who could be the Jets' 2nd Rd. Pick if he has not been taken already)

1st Scenario

1. Vernon Gholston - OLB/DE - Ohio St.

2. Joe Flacco - QB - Delaware

3. Tracy Porter - CB - Indiana (Draft-Day Trade to K.C. for Chad P.)

Trade-Down Scenario

1. James Hardy - WR - Indiana (1st Trade Down Pick)

2. Brandon Flowers - CB - Va. Tech (2nd Trade Down Pick)

3. Quentin Groves - DE - Auburn (Current 2nd Round Pick)

Jets' interview list looks impressive

It’s almost crunch time.

Every team is allowed to invite a maximum of 30 prospects to their facility before the draft, and many of the top players will be criss-crossing the country this coming week. It’s a final chance for teams to interview potential picks, give them medical exams and, basically, kick the tires before D-Day, April 26. The Jets will have an impressive list of visitors. It includes:

DE/LB Vernon Gholston, Ohio State

DE/LB Quentin Groves, Auburn

LB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee (his stock is rising)

CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy

RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

T/G Branden Albert, Virginia (stock rising)

CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

CB Tracy Porter, Indiana

By Rich Cimini on April 13, 2008 8:13 PM

I still can't believe that Cimini left Richmond Spider WR Arman Shields off the list of people the Jets brought in for a visit. 4.45 at the combine boys. There's your speed that we need at WR. You heard it here at JN 1st ;)

Hey, keep this in note:

During this time of the year, teams are trying to show things that they arn't going to do. They're trying to disguise their actually likes and dislikes in the draft. Lets just say for instance that everyone the Jets brought in, they have zero interest or very little interest in drafting. That would mean the list of players they were interested in at six would be:

QB Matt Ryan

DE/OLB Chris Long

OT Jake Long

CB Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie

LB Keith Rivers

And yes I realize there is no way Jake or Chris make it to 6, but the Jets could still be interested just in case or they could be working a trade up behind the scenes, who knows.

However, there could be players on there that they are interested in, mixed in with a bunch they really nave no interest in. I'd have to believe the ones they are interested in, if this is the case, they would Darren McFadden (sigh), Leodis McKelvin and Vernon Gholston.

Archived