Marcus Henry

Sperm Edwards

I don't see this as having anything to do with Chad. Ainge, Clemens and Pennington make three qbs. That's the normal NFL allotment. Ratliff is the practice squad guy and there is no reason to expect him to make the squad. They may move Pennington, but there is no reason they have to. Erik Ainge is certainly no lock to be ready to play in '08.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see this as having anything to do with Chad. Ainge, Clemens and Pennington make three qbs. That's the normal NFL allotment. Ratliff is the practice squad guy and there is no reason to expect him to make the squad. They may move Pennington, but there is no reason they have to. Erik Ainge is certainly no lock to be ready to play in '08.

You can't keep Pennington after drafting Ainge. you don't want either young QB looking over their shoulder. he will be gone.

You can't keep Pennington after drafting Ainge. you don't want either young QB looking over their shoulder. he will be gone.

I don't want any QB on my team that is nervous about competition. Especially from a guy with an arm like Pennington. If they are worried about that they are not mentally strong enough to play. Not even close.

I don't want any QB on my team that is nervous about competition. Especially from a guy with an arm like Pennington. If they are worried about that they are not mentally strong enough to play. Not even close.

As a rookie and a 2nd year player? Pennington would have beat out Elway and Carson Palmer their rookie years. he's a ''conservative qb''. he can't throw the ball so it's difficult to make mistakes.

I disagree. Ainge will be making 5th round pick money so it is perfectly feasible from a cap standpoint to have him as the 3rd QB on the depth chart for one season.

Plus, with all the money this team invested in veterans (Faneca, Woody, Jenkins, Pace) the Jets are officially a win-now team. Chad is a battle tested QB who's taken this team to the playoffs 3X before.

Getting rid of Chad now and leaving the Jets with just Clemens, a guy who played like crap most of last season, and a rookie Eric Ainge as the #2 doesn't make any sense.

Unless you're a professional Chad-hater like 2/3 the people on this site, then anything, even Brooks Bollinger, is better than Chad.

I disagree. Ainge will be making 5th round pick money so it is perfectly feasible from a cap standpoint to have him as the 3rd QB on the depth chart for one season.

Plus, with all the money this team invested in veterans (Faneca, Woody, Jenkins, Pace) the Jets are officially a win-now team. Chad is a battle tested QB who's taken this team to the playoffs 3X before.

Getting rid of Chad now and leaving the Jets with just Clemens, a guy who played like crap most of last season, and a rookie Eric Ainge as the #2 doesn't make any sense.

Unless you're a professional Chad-hater like 2/3 the people on this site, then anything, even Brooks Bollinger, is better than Chad.

It's not unheard of to go with a rookie qb as a backup. Pennington was awful last year. AWFUL. why do you think 2/3 of this board doesn't like him? because he is an awful qb. JUST AWFUL! anybody is an improvement over him. just by keeping him around we are wasting a roster spot.

I'm with you.

There is no way they are getting rid of CP now, why even respond to such crap?

Because I like to fight with BP.

It's not unheard of to go with a rookie qb as a backup. Pennington was awful last year. AWFUL. why do you think 2/3 of this board doesn't like him? because he is an awful qb. JUST AWFUL! anybody is an improvement over him. just by keeping him around we are wasting a roster spot.

Wasting a roster spot that could be taken by a monster talent like.... Brett Ratliff!

And Kellen sure looked wonderful last year getting the lowest QB rating of any starting QB in the NFL. 5tds to 11 ints. I'm so impressed.

We should definitely dump Chad and make Kellen the starter and an inexperienced rookie as the back-up. That way, the next time Brick lets a Pats player blow by him to injure Clemens our season will be completely f_cked in the ass and we'll be picking top 6 next year's draft instead of possibly making a playoff run.

Because I like to fight with BP.

\:D/

Wasting a roster spot that could be taken by a monster talent like.... Brett Ratliff!

I think Pennington is a goner, you don't. you're entitled to your opinion, even though you're wrong. lets leave it at that. it's all ecurb's fault this thread got hijacked.

And Kellen sure looked wonderful last year getting the lowest QB rating of any starting QB in the NFL. 5tds to 11 ints. I'm so impressed.

We should definitely dump Chad and make Kellen the starter and an inexperienced rookie as the back-up. That way, the next time Brick lets a Pats player blow by him to injure Clemens our season will be completely f_cked in the ass and we'll be picking top 6 next year's draft instead of possibly making a playoff run.

At least Clemens could throw the ball. in the Buffalo game at home Pennington couldn't even throw a 5 yard out. in the Buffalo road game he threw up a sacrifice fly int to end the game. you have to be able to throw the ball to play qb, and he can't. the video of these plays don't lie. and if you can throw the ball you at least have a 50/50 chance of succeeding.

At least Clemens could throw the ball. in the Buffalo game at home Pennington couldn't even throw a 5 yard out. in the Buffalo road game he threw up a sacrifice fly int to end the game. you have to be able to throw the ball to play qb, and he can't. the video of these plays don't lie. and if you can throw the ball you at least have a 50/50 chance of succeeding.

Pennington never had an arm but he still got this team into the playoffs on three different occasions and won playoff games.

I actually agree with most of your criticisms of Chad and I also believe he is not the long-term answer. That being said he has at least one good year left in him and with the revamped O-line, a better group of receivers and an easier schedule he can win 9+ games next season and possibly go to the playoffs.

Mangini's career is on the line next season. If he doesn't at least go 9-7 he'll probably get fired. Woody Johnson spent a ton of money this off-season and got him the players he needed plus the Jets just had a very good draft. Getting rid of Pennington and putting the entire next season into Kellen's hands is an unnecessary risk and potentially career suicide for Mangini and Tanenbaum.

Call me crazy but I think Mangini cares more about his career then about satisfying your hatred of Chad Pennington.

\:D/

I think Pennington is a goner, you don't. you're entitled to your opinion, even though you're wrong. lets leave it at that. it's all ecurb's fault this thread got hijacked.

Oops, I didn't even realize that this was the Marcus Henry thread. Henry looks good. Tall and he seems fast enough, but he doesn't seem very quick. I think his short shuttle time was 4.33. That's as opposed to Keller's 3.94. That's a pretty large discrepancy.

A glorified red zone target and thats all this guy will be. I thought Keller was supposed to be a red zone target with his size? I havn't liked a move the Jets hvae made all day today. Henry's nice, but he won't contribute it sounds like unless you're inside the 20's. Matt Jones-ish.

I am not a Chad hater. I respect the young man and acknowledge the talent he still has on the field but the talent no longer includes the ability to make throws. His out patterns are interceptions waiting to happen unless they perfectly thrown rainbows against a poor db or a db with little anticipation. His deep passes have to be thrown by the time his receiver is 15-20 yds downfield or the receiver will be standing there waiting for the ball to come down to him. Clemens has the arm, comeback ability and had to develope some the other other skills (which Pennington has) pocket presence, ball handling, play calling etc but those are things which come with experience.

Let's not put a crown on Ainge or even think he could challenge Clemens-he isn't even at the same level Clemens was on draft days-he may be some day. For now Clemens must be given a chance to shine with his new line, additional receivers and hopefully a training camp when he will be given a real chance to secure the starting spot.

A glorified red zone target and thats all this guy will be. I thought Keller was supposed to be a red zone target with his size? I havn't liked a move the Jets hvae made all day today. Henry's nice, but he won't contribute it sounds like unless you're inside the 20's. Matt Jones-ish.

Matt Jones in the sixth round is an awesome pick. Just because they got one guy that catches TDs doesn't mean they should avoid all others.

Who said either Henry or Keller are just red zone targets? A couple of posters on a message board? Can we see them play before we start relegating them to limited roles?

The Jets offense scored more points last season with Kellen Clemens as the starting QB.

Last year, they both sucked. At least there is a glimmer of hope that Clemens won't. Chad Pennington will suck horribly, as he has the last two years. The last time he was a serviceable QB was 2004. And he wasn't good enough then for this team to really do anything.

Who said either Henry or Keller are just red zone targets? A couple of posters on a message board? Can we see them play before we start relegating them to limited roles?

Yeah because when I think NFL superstar, I think Kansas Jayhawk. :shock:

Chances are this guy is nothing but a red zone target due to his PLAYING speed and his height and weight.

124 is just upset because a 6 foot 4 WR in the red zone means less field goals for Mike Nugent.

Well Troll as much as you bash Pennington, I hope you're glad we got a taller version of him to throw to the 6'4 slow game speed receiver from Kansas. Congrats. Go Jets!

The Jets offense scored more points last season with Kellen Clemens as the starting QB.

Last year, they both sucked. At least there is a glimmer of hope that Clemens won't. Chad Pennington will suck horribly, as he has the last two years. The last time he was a serviceable QB was 2004. And he wasn't good enough then for this team to really do anything.

Even agreeing with all that, there is no reason to dump Pennington. Even if Chad doesn't start or compete for the starting job and even conceding the second string job to Ainge, why dump Pennington? It's certainly not mandatory. Not until there are three better QBs on the team.

Yeah because when I think NFL superstar, I think Kansas Jayhawk. :shock:

Chances are this guy is nothing but a red zone target due to his PLAYING speed and his height and weight.

You can say the same thing about several of those big WRs taken in the 2nd round. But I'd like to see them play in the NFL first before I pass judgement.

How did this turn into a Pennington vs Clemens thread.

I could understand if that happens in the Erik Ainge thread but why here???

ecurb2369 made a classic hit and run post that ignited it. he has since disappeared.

How did this turn into a Pennington vs Clemens thread.

I could understand if that happens in the Erik Ainge thread but why here???

The more things change the more they stay the same! What is the WR depth chart?

Cole

Cotchery

Smith

Stuckey

Henry

Wright

Clowney

Davis

Ball

How many of these guys are going to make the team? I guess about five active and one or two hanging around.

Well Troll as much as you bash Pennington, I hope you're glad we got a taller version of him to throw to the 6'4 slow game speed receiver from Kansas. Congrats. Go Jets!

First of all, your argument that he will suck because he went to Kansas is borderline retarded. What difference does it make where he went to school? Brandon Marshall went to UCF. Greg Jennings went to Western Michigan. T.O. went to Tennessee-Chattanooga. I could go on forever. It doesn't matter. And for the record, Kansas almost played in the National Championship game last year.

Ainge is nothing like Pennington. He has an arm. It's not a cannon, but it's more than adequate at the NFL level. He has a ton of experience against elite college defenses as well. To me, there is not a whole hell of a lot of difference between Ainge and Henne.

The more things change the more they stay the same! What is the WR depth chart?

Cole

Cotchery

Smith

Stuckey

Henry

Wright

Clowney

Davis

Ball

How many of these guys are going to make the team? I guess about five active and one or two hanging around.

And an extra TE (Keller) who will be able to take many of the plays normally expected of a 3rd WR.

Archived