B.J. Askew signs 4 year extension with Bucs....

JonEJet

and we sign a 40 year old former warrior to a 1 year deal

I really wonder about the smarts of this organizations :confused:

Why? Askew was never a good lead blocker. You want Askew back here? I don't. Richardson is 37 and still one of the best FB's in the league.

Why? Askew was never a good lead blocker. You want Askew back here? I don't. Richardson is 37 and still one of the best FB's in the league.

Yeah really, also his track record speaks for its self. Theres no harm in a 1 year deal, however its up to the OC to actually use a FB.

Yeah really, also his track record speaks for its self. Theres no harm in a 1 year deal, however its up to the OC to actually use a FB.

Considering this is the first real FB Schotty has had I think he will.

who cares about the full back. they just signed keller in the first round, have a guy in stuckey that they seemed like they wanted to use, the stupid brad smith experiment...i'd be surprised if Richardson saw 6 snaps a game.

Actually the Jets are doing this exactly right. Sign a veteran who (we hope) has another year left in the tank & pick up a similar-style rookie to learn the ropes from someone who was a master at it.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than throwing millions at a player who was rarely anything but garbage for us. He's doing better with TB than he did with the Jets, so good for Askew. But I don't wish him back.

Actually the Jets are doing this exactly right. Sign a veteran who (we hope) has another year left in the tank & pick up a similar-style rookie to learn the ropes from someone who was a master at it.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than throwing millions at a player who was rarely anything but garbage for us. He's doing better with TB than he did with the Jets, so good for Askew. But I don't wish him back.

You mean, sign high-character pro-bowlers to help our rookies develop? I like that concept.

and we sign a 40 year old former warrior to a 1 year deal

I really wonder about the smarts of this organizations :confused:

IMO you're in the minority here Jon. Askew did squat during his time here. Good luck to him and good riddance.

I wouldn't say he "did squat"... We attempted to use him as a Cooley-type H-back... He didn't have the athleticism. He's got decent size... I think he has found out (the hard way) that his sticking in this league will require doing the hard (Alstott-type) work.

I'm pretty sure he'd prefer to not be a "pounder", and that's exactly what role he'll have in TB. We used him with finesse... he didn't cut it.

Askew was never more than decent as a lead blocker because he came to Michigan as a Running Back and actually played Running Back for a year before Chris Perry. He switched to Fullback and did a decent job blocking there as well but he was known more, and was drafted because of it, for his pass catching skills out of the backfield, and we all know how much Herm loves his pass catching Fullbacks.

Tony Richardson will do just fine and probably better in this offense, especially if Clemens is the Quarterback.

Archived