The Best Band Of the 90's ARE BACK

jetsrule128

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Troll,

I'm guessing the record you bought was post Steve Hackett Genesis when Phil Collins turned from a great drummer/singer to a poppy front man paper late mama dork.

There are some real Genesis gems in...

Selling England By the Pound

Trick Of The Tail

Wind & Wuthering

Not always rockin stuff but some real good music going on in those records.

I believe the one I bought was just self-titled. It had "That's All" on it.

Oasis was good but they were pretty much one and done. Definately didn't do enough to be considered best of the 90s.

One and done in the US? Eh, I dunno. Their 1st album was their best album. But it was their 2nd album that got them big over here.

Either Soundgarden or Faith No More is the best band of the 90's.

radiohead, elliott smith, nirvana, 2pac, STP, Tool, Rage Against the Machine are all better than soundgarden, IMO...i don't recall faith no more?

It it really any surprise that a guy who idolizes Big Brother and hides out in bushes to get autographs from training camp fodder would think Sugar Ray was the best band of the 90's? Come on people, take whatever truly sucks in entertainment and rest assured it's what jetsrule128 loves the most.

Blind Guardian is an awesome awesome band. But, no one listens to anything besides pre-packaged corporate crap anyway so no use mentioning something that isn't on the mtv. If they're not told to like it, they wont.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pearl jam yet, as far as 90's pop go Pearl Jam is pretty good stuff.

Blind Guardian is an awesome awesome band. But, no one listens to anything besides pre-packaged corporate crap anyway so no use mentioning something that isn't on the mtv. If they're not told to like it, they wont.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pearl jam yet, as far as 90's pop go Pearl Jam is pretty good stuff.

you just mentioned some obscure band calling people out for only listening to what is fed to them and then you mention Eddie Vedder and his group of retards. For a guy that only listens to death metal (which isn't played on the radio or MTV because it sucks) you sure have a lot to say about rock bands...in other threads, not just this one...

you just mentioned some obscure band calling people out for only listening to what is fed to them and then you mention Eddie Vedder and his group of retards. For a guy that only listens to death metal (which isn't played on the radio or MTV because it sucks) you sure have a lot to say about rock bands...in other threads, not just this one...

Who says I only listen to death metal? That would just be silly to limit myself to one genre of music because of some preconceived silliness, wanting to be a rebel or fitting into some sort of counterculture group. I listen to what I like. I happen to like Death metal because it is fast paced, aggressive and most of the times innovative and experimental.

I don't pay much attention to bands besides the music they produce so I would love to hear why eddie vedder is a retard? Was it the ticketmaster thing or the not making music videos thing? I don't really know much else besides that, all I know is he has an awesome voice and makes good enjoyable music. They really are talented musicians who vary their sound and approach in ways that are, to me at least, enjoyable.

Also, Blind Guardian isn't that obscure of a band, if you walked into an American record store you would find at least 5-6 albums there. They are also quite popular in Europe and other countries that are not America. It isn't my fault people don't listen to anything beyond what they are told to like by the media, record companies and payola.

Who says I only listen to death metal? That would just be silly to limit myself to one genre of music because of some preconceived silliness, wanting to be a rebel or fitting into some sort of counterculture group. I listen to what I like. I happen to like Death metal because it is fast paced, aggressive and most of the times innovative and experimental.

I don't pay much attention to bands besides the music they produce so I would love to hear why eddie vedder is a retard? Was it the ticketmaster thing or the not making music videos thing? I don't really know much else besides that, all I know is he has an awesome voice and makes good enjoyable music. They really are talented musicians who vary their sound and approach in ways that are, to me at least, enjoyable.

Also, Blind Guardian isn't that obscure of a band, if you walked into an American record store you would find at least 5-6 albums there. They are also quite popular in Europe and other countries that are not America. It isn't my fault people don't listen to anything beyond what they are told to like by the media, record companies and payola.

What's funny about this whole thing is that Pearl Jam is the exact definition of media driven hype. Not making music videos is a joke, most of the videos are terrible anyway, i can't say i've ever liked a song more because of a video.

Pearl Jam is reasonably talented, Gossard is pretty good, Vedder hasn't had a good song since they came out with Yield, and a good album since Vs. or Vitalogy...whichever came first. They've been around way too long and the only reason people continue to buy their garbage is because they are a band of has-beens.

I can't think of a band more media driven, except maybe Dave Matthews or Coldplay.

What's funny about this whole thing is that Pearl Jam is the exact definition of media driven hype. Not making music videos is a joke, most of the videos are terrible anyway, i can't say i've ever liked a song more because of a video.

Pearl Jam is reasonably talented, Gossard is pretty good, Vedder hasn't had a good song since they came out with Yield, and a good album since Vs. or Vitalogy...whichever came first. They've been around way too long and the only reason people continue to buy their garbage is because they are a band of has-beens.

I can't think of a band more media driven, except maybe Dave Matthews or Coldplay.

You could be right, I'd like a little more evidence than simply your insistence of the fact. I haven't seen much media hype of pearl jam(but I haven't been looking or paying attention). They certainly could be getting by on name recognition alone nowadays. This discussion was about 90's bands so anything ****ty they did from 00-present really has no bearing on the discussion. I think ten was an amazing album and vs and vitalogy were almost as good. Certainly better than anything coming out of the pop-rock genre at the time. This is just my opinion. Ten came out in 91 and vitology came out in 96. You mentioned yeild which came out in 98. I'm not even that big of a Pearl Jam fan I was merely saying that as far as over-produced mass marketed pop-rock the early stuff is actually pretty good.

You could be right, I'd like a little more evidence than simply your insistence of the fact. I haven't seen much media hype of pearl jam(but I haven't been looking or paying attention). They certainly could be getting by on name recognition alone nowadays. This discussion was about 90's bands so anything ****ty they did from 00-present really has no bearing on the discussion. I think ten was an amazing album and vs and vitalogy were almost as good. Certainly better than anything coming out of the pop-rock genre at the time. This is just my opinion. Ten came out in 91 and vitology came out in 96. You mentioned yeild which came out in 98. I'm not even that big of a Pearl Jam fan I was merely saying that as far as over-produced mass marketed pop-rock the early stuff is actually pretty good.

they got their start by riding the coat tails of Nirvana (so they say, not sure who they are, but still). I don't see the huge corilation between the too, what i do know is Kurt got the ball rolling and almost any band claiming to be from seattle that had depressing lyrics could sign a label.

I've just never heard a PJ song that had real and actual talent. They are all pretty simple with a lot of groan man moans and bar chords. Although Yellow Ledbetter is a damn good track...past that, it's all just decent, or worse (that's only their 90's music, their music now is terrible).

they got their start by riding the coat tails of Nirvana (so they say, not sure who they are, but still). I don't see the huge corilation between the too, what i do know is Kurt got the ball rolling and almost any band claiming to be from seattle that had depressing lyrics could sign a label.

I've just never heard a PJ song that had real and actual talent. They are all pretty simple with a lot of groan man moans and bar chords. Although Yellow Ledbetter is a damn good track...past that, it's all just decent, or worse (that's only their 90's music, their music now is terrible).

And I hated nirvana, I thought it was all garbage. It's all a matter of taste really. Music is a funny topic like that, different people like different things. I just think that people are missing out by only listening to the stuff on the radio. In every genre there are bands that have similar sounds but they aren't as toned-down or are just plain better than the stuff on the radio. Even underground rap artists are more tolerable than that crappy little wayne soldier boy garbage. I'd listen to Aesop Rock over 50 cent any day of the week.

radiohead, elliott smith, nirvana, 2pac, STP, Tool, Rage Against the Machine are all better than soundgarden, IMO...i don't recall faith no more?

Nirvana and STP better than Soundgarden? Nirvana was the worst band to come out of Seattle; they were just the most radio friendly.

I agree on RATM, though. One of my favorite bands of all-time, I just wasn't thinking about them.

Maybe Radiohead but definitely none of the other ones. I like Nirvana, STP, and Rage but they definitely aren't as good as Soundgarden.

Tool is ehh for me and Elliott Smith is pretty good but obviously a completely different style of music. And gimme a break with Tupac.

Soundgarden and Radiohead's closest competition would be Kyuss IMO.

Maybe Radiohead but definitely none of the other ones. I like Nirvana, STP, and Rage but they definitely aren't as good as Soundgarden.

Tool is ehh for me and Elliott Smith is pretty good but obviously a completely different style of music. And gimme a break with Tupac.

Soundgarden and Radiohead's closest competition would be Kyuss IMO.

Eh. Radiohead has some good stuff, but they can seem a little pompous and meandering. Soundgarden is cool, but all that depressing tuning also can get to me after awhile. Personally I'd take STP and Rage over either of them. I don't automatically think stuff sucks because it's a little pop. Bush and the pop punkers deserve a mention too-Offspring and Green Day.

Eh. Radiohead has some good stuff, but they can seem a little pompous and meandering. Soundgarden is cool, but all that depressing tuning also can get to me after awhile. Personally I'd take STP and Rage over either of them. I don't automatically think stuff sucks because it's a little pop. Bush and the pop punkers deserve a mention too-Offspring and Green Day.

STP is definitely not as good as Soundgarden. They have some good stuff but they are a bit of a ripoff band. Rage is solid but their music can get pretty samey. Soundgarden is easily better than those bands IMO.

I like the Offspring but they are definitely not in the same league as Radiohead and Soundgarden.

STP is definitely not as good as Soundgarden. They have some good stuff but they are a bit of a ripoff band. Rage is solid but their music can get pretty samey. Soundgarden is easily better than those bands IMO.

I like the Offspring but they are definitely not in the same league as Radiohead and Soundgarden.

The Offspring had one solid album, their second album was mediocre, and by the third, they had completely sold out.

"Pretty Fly for a White Guy"? *shudders*

Find the first moving bus and leap in front of it. IMMEDIATELY!! :lol:

Nirvana and STP better than Soundgarden? Nirvana was the worst band to come out of Seattle; they were just the most radio friendly.

I agree on RATM, though. One of my favorite bands of all-time, I just wasn't thinking about them.

How in the blue hell was Nirvana "radio friendly"? :rl:

How in the blue hell was Nirvana "radio friendly"? :rl:

They were a hell of a lot more radio friendly than any of the other Seattle bands.

Nevermind was a pop album. Bleach is about the only thing Nirvana had that wasn't poppy.

Archived